FOOD CORNER > Wild Game

Favorite Shotgun Gauge for Upland Hunting

(1/5) > >>

cudakidd53:
What's your favorite gauge shotgun for carrying and shooting effectively for a long weekend of upland hunting?  Not sitting on your duff having game driven or called to you, but following dogs, spot and stalk or group driving after upland birds, rabbits or squirrels?  You can add what action/style you prefer as well, in your reply and explain your rational as well.  ::)

Flyin6:

I like the range and power

Like a 10 for geese and ducks

KensAuto:
I spend quite a bit of time quail hunting in the desert (the only bird from the desert that tastes good imo), and carry an old browning A5 from the 60's. She's very finicky (will only shoot high base), but I love the clank of the barrel as it slams rearward every pull of the trigger.

JR:
Have a nice Winchester XTR auto I scored a long time ago. No chokes but shoots 2 3/4-3 inch just fine.

cudakidd53:
Mine is 20g if I could only pick one gauge.  I've got a sweet Franchi 48 that weighs sub 6lbs. and I shoot it with cylinder choke - only takes 2 3/4 inch shells and has beautiful wood.  With the wide variety of quality loads, I can kill any upland game , including late season pheasant in SD making some ridiculous shots using Federal's "Wing-shock" which is lethal!

I really enjoy my 28g on quail, but finding shells for it, in Missouri late in December wasn't so easy, suppose if I'd gone to Bass Pro maybe.

Why NOT 12g?  I tore up too much meat with it, even using cylinder choke, which I hate. 
I will go to it for late season in SD as last week December pheasant don't give you too many close shots, and with multiple birds in the air, no plug makes for some wild shooting. 

Honestly, I like them all and have owned them all; .410 is more of an exhibition gauge and not a "gotta put meat in the pot" option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version