Hello Guest

Author Topic: Cold weather camping on a budget  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Cold weather camping on a budget
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
I am looking ahead to January. There is a winter campout the Nebraska preparedness group goes on every year. I went last year, its basically Scout camp for adults. Last year I took my camper because if they all turned out to be a bunch of weirdos I could turn a key and leave quickly at any time. Long story short I made a few friends that I kept in contact with through the year. This time I am bringing my son and a tent.

I dont have a North Face or Cabela's budget. We are Ozark Trail people. I dont know what I am going to do for a tent yet. I have a Ozark trail teepee tent that I though would be cool but it sucks. I hate it. My other tents are plum wore out from years of use and abuse. I dont know why I even keep them around.
I have some ideas for sleeping pads. Some sleeping pads get pretty pricey. Remember, I have to buy gear for myself and my son so the price doubles.

Imagine you are making a double bed on the ground. I am looking at getting a couple of these military surplus self inflating sleeping mats https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-self-inflating-sleeping-mat
Or a couple of these Therm a rest pads  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004532G9Q/ref=twister_B07F36CSK8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I would put the pads on the bottom. Then a quilt from home and/or the two wool blankets my Uncle brought home from the Coast Guard. Then some reflective insulation. Then sleeping bags and over the bags another good heavy quilt if needed.   https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/radiant-barrier/reflectix-r-3-7-reflective-insulation-24-x-25/bp24025/p-1444452049106-c-5778.htm

I have never tired a mummy bag I really dont think I would like one. I have had a 0 degree Coleman bag as a teenager in Boy Scouts. I think thats what I am going to get again. They run about a $100 a piece. That is for a big and tall size. At 6 ft I bottom out most cheaper bags and leave my shoulders uncovered.

So that puts me up to $80 or so for pads, $200 for bags. The reflective insulation it is $25. I can count Zane's bag as a Christmas gift so that helps. I am going to get him an adult bag because hes 10. In a few years he will need one anyway.

We already have adequate foot wear, sleepwear and coats and such. So, that just leaves shelter. I am looking at nothing smaller than a 6 person tent. I have another boy that will be going with as soon as hes a little older. 3 people and your gear will fill a 6 person tent real quick. I have no preference over cabin tent vs dome tent. I have had both and like each one equally.

All this shopping just makes me want to take my ratty old cabin tent full of holes. Throw a tarp over top and grab 6 quilts from the house and call it good.

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather camping on a budget
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
Give me a call, i have what you are looking for and you can borrow it if you want.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:33:56 PM »
More info needed

Snow?

The tent is mute if you have a tarp.  I have on multiple occasions used a doubled up tarp over a tent and closed in to keep weather out it works well

As for your pad. 

Cardboard as a base layer, no air mattress it gets cold making you cold or humidity caused by your heat hitting the cold

The reflective pad is a good idea.

Sleeping bag

https://tetonsports.com/product/deer-hunter-35%CB%9Af-sleeping-bag/

We have three of these and they
Are great!!!

Remember to sleep in less and if the kids insist on cloth put on dry fresh cloths right as you climb in the bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:34:39 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »
Yes, layers are your friend. Scouts do a Dec Yosemite trip every year, year before was Tahoe. I have a 0 bag, but you still need layers and no more mummies for me, I need XL.

Yep, a tarp will get a normal tent through OK, but have good ground cover. I also got clip on spikes for my shoes.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:14:30 AM »
Its hard to have more info other than its Nebraska in January. It might be 30 degrees it might be -10. I am going to plan Like its -10. I hope there is snow but who knows.

Cardboard base layer is a great idea.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:06 AM »
Build a fire and make a coal bed

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:36:28 AM »
We tend to over do it sometimes.
Look at using a walk tent with a second tarp. You need to maintain an airspace.
It will keep whatever heat in you have.
Are you going to be heating any way?
Propane is not best but simple. Wood Stove is the way to go if you’re allowed.
We put down moving blankets, so cardboard is a great idea if you don’t have moving blankets.
Ideally you’ll want to be comfortable enough to not want to kill yourself. Lol.
If you’re not limited to a sleigh, which sound like not then you’ll have some abilities for room for creature comforts. Having crates to raise things up off the ground is nice.
We mostly use Canadian military 10 man arctic tents.
They are fabric double wall bell tents. The US military has a similar variant.
Problem with them is they are dark inside. Like black without lights on.
Check surplus places they may have something serviceable.
Sounds like you have a plan for bedding and they get $$$ fast.
Otherwise have fun.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
Jon, PM me your address. I'll send a couple of the foil emer blankets, I have plenty.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
I dont plan on any heating. Moving blankets sound better than using cardboard.

Thanks Don I already have a bunch of them foil blankets.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
The method of cardboard is multiple layers and if it gets wet it doesn’t soak through. Moving blankets will in my experience, plus it’s disposable

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 06:46:15 PM »
I use the moving blankets (HF) but don't let whatever soak, use a tarp and you are gold.

We use regular tents with a tarp over them. Keeps the air barrier and the snow off.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 09:59:14 PM »
Yes a tarp to keep the blankets dry is key.

I’ve got lots of ideas Jon just some will be for -40 stuff.
I use caribou hide as a thermal layer, so if you have any dried hides they work well to keep you warm.

Inside a reasonable sized tent making coffee in a perk will warm it significantly.
I’m all about propane stuff these days. Tent eye is a thing anybody who’s used white gas stuff enough knows. Take a 20 pounder a tank tree and you’re good for shoot a couple weeks likely.
If you don’t have propane stuff don’t go buy it just cause. Take what you have and learn what works and what doesn’t. The more you get out with your gear the more you’ll find out what you actually need.

One two burner stove. One perk. One stainless pail. One cast pan. About all you need.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 07:46:03 AM »
This is the campground we are going to. The circled area is where we set up.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
I have plenty of tarps. One will be for ground cover for sure. I'm not limited on how much gear I can bring. As you can see above we drive right to the spot.

I would love to have a tent with a stove but that is not going to happen for a long time. They are way out of my range. One regret I have is I never tanned any of my deer hides and I haven't shot a deer in over 10 years. So thats out. I like the moving blanket idea. I'm going for that. Cheaper than sleeping mats and I can use them for other things.

I stopped in at Scheels yesterday. Picked up some hand warmers and some other stuff the boys need for a scout camp out. The 6 essentials. Anyway they have some 0 degree Coleman bags on sale for $50 original price $100.  I almost had a weak moment but I am going to order the Deer hunter bags Dave suggested. I like the canvas shell and that fact that you can zip 2 of them together. I believe they will last a long time. 

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »
Give me a call, i have what you are looking for and you can borrow it if you want.

Thanks for the offer. But, If borrow your stuff you wont have anything to use when I talk you into coming with.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »
I have plenty of tarps. One will be for ground cover for sure. I'm not limited on how much gear I can bring. As you can see above we drive right to the spot.

I would love to have a tent with a stove but that is not going to happen for a long time. They are way out of my range. One regret I have is I never tanned any of my deer hides and I haven't shot a deer in over 10 years. So thats out. I like the moving blanket idea. I'm going for that. Cheaper than sleeping mats and I can use them for other things.

I stopped in at Scheels yesterday. Picked up some hand warmers and some other stuff the boys need for a scout camp out. The 6 essentials. Anyway they have some 0 degree Coleman bags on sale for $50 original price $100.  I almost had a weak moment but I am going to order the Deer hunter bags Dave suggested. I like the canvas shell and that fact that you can zip 2 of them together. I believe they will last a long time.
Did you note the size of that deer hunter bag@40 inches wide you can fit pretty nice in it

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 10:21:30 AM »
Yep, I just ordered 2 of them.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 12:32:44 PM »
XL is the only way to, nice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
Remember, in a cold weather bag, the more clothes you wear to sleep, the colder you'll feel.  :wink:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 04:25:15 PM »
I have to layer up in my 0 bag. It works OK, but with sweats, much better!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
I have to layer up in my 0 bag. It works OK, but with sweats, much better!
I can’t sleep in a bag with much on, I follow the prescribed less is more.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 05:36:51 PM »
Oh, I agree. But last time until I put sweats on, i was to cold to sleep.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:45 PM »
If those are pine trees, gather as much of the needles or leaves if they aren't pines. Either shove it in a trashbag or pile it up and throw a tarp over/around it to hold it in place. Keeping your body off the ground will help with the warmth. If you take an E-blanket, build a small frame and put it on the other side of the fire it will reflect the heat back towards you, however you'll want something behind you to keep the warmth in.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »
I was actually thinking about bringing a bale of straw to spread out between the ground cover and tent.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
That would work too. And be a heck of a lot faster.
Depending on how many days you’re staying you at want more than one.
Sam

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 07:19:35 AM »
2 nights. January 1st through the 3rd.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 01:41:50 PM »
We do Yosemite in Dec and Lassen in Jan. Cold,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:09 AM »
Sleeping bags came today. They are really nice! Hardly a budget item like the title of my thread but I believe they are a wise investment that will serve the family for years to come.

Now I have to focus on shelter. I am going to get a couple of my old cabin tents out of storage. They were in sad shape 10 years ago when I almost threw them away but put them in totes instead.

There has been another development. I am the Webelos leader. I talked to the current Boy Scout leader who wants to "retire" soon. So I will be working closely with him in training to take over the Troop. They go on 1 campout a month. No matter what the weather is.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
Fun times ahead, make sure you always have your other leaders there. “Two deep”  leadership!!!! I got stuck in a lie of one of my scouts who said I hit him and the only saving grace was my other co scout leader and his wife who told the truth as it happened.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:54:29 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 01:35:59 PM »
 Not in as bad of shape as I remembered. Little stinky and moldy.  They do leak I know that much for sure. I will clean them up and start  experimenting with some tarps for extra protection.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »
That tarp over a tent is a great way for winter camping. 

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
There’s enough space between those frames and tents You should be good Jon.
Find a tarp that fits and you’ll be good.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 10:40:04 PM »
Yeah I’d get a big ol dark color tarp, big enough to fold in half and cover the whole thing, if the ground is wet enough put soil around the edges of the tarp and seal it off

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
Yeah I’d get a big ol dark color tarp, big enough to fold in half and cover the whole thing, if the ground is wet enough put soil around the edges of the tarp and seal it off

We always use snow...but if you don’t have snow then yeah soil it would have to be.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »
I use snow too, kinda handy. Yep, those are perfect for tarps with the little airspace.

My air mattress went flat this weekend. Was on a cot but still uncomfortable. Hate getting old.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 07:57:49 PM »
I use snow too, kinda handy. Yep, those are perfect for tarps with the little airspace.

My air mattress went flat this weekend. Was on a cot but still uncomfortable. Hate getting old.
Happens if you're fortunate!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 10:56:49 PM »
Last time I went to Yosm it was dry. After setup 2' fell, perfect.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »
Fun times ahead, keep your two deep leadership!!!! I guy stuck in a lie and the only saving grace was my leadership with me

English version available?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »
Fun times ahead, keep your two deep leadership!!!! I guy stuck in a lie and the only saving grace was my leadership with me

English version available?
Please revised post

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »
Anytime an adult leader has contact with any scouts there must be 2 adults present=2 deep.

Comes from the abuse issues we are dealing with. Sure having girls there will make it better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
Yeah!! What he said .  Sure glad I’m done with it

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
I blew the budget completely out of the water. Purchased the 2 sleeping bags then I went and got a new tent. Ive been looking at them online. We stopped at the Coleman outlet store in Tennessee on our trip. $214 on Amazon. I paid $118 at the store. I wanted a 6 person but this will work. A friend of mine has one similar it works pretty good in summer. We will see how it does in winter.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000023236-8-Person-Instant-Tent/dp/B003QUT9OE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1DDWV6RKT7KW3&dchild=1&keywords=coleman+8+person+tent+for+camping&qid=1609330928&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=coleman+8%2Csporting%2C226&sr=1-4

Its suppose to be in the 20s and 30s all weekend but I'm packing like it will be below 0.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
You won’t be upset with the extra room Jon.
The frame looks like it will make a good air gap so you should be able to tarp it in somehow.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
I have the Walmart version of that tent. The rain fly is great, the assembly is really well done also. 

I use some small slip knot paracod pieces to loop around my tent before I try and shove it back into the bag.   Works well.   

I also suggest finding some cheapo key chain Carabiners to hand around the inside of the tent.  Amazon for $.99 usually works to hand flashlight, small coat or such to keep them off the floor

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 07:30:52 AM »
Good advice. Thanks. I love my old school Coleman lanterns but I bought a couple cheap electric lanterns to hang in there. I dont have to worry about tipping one over or getting too hot and melting a hole.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2020, 12:54:03 PM »
Yes and a battery powered lantern with remote control comes in darn handy

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal