Hello Guest

Author Topic: Out west off road adventure  (Read 643 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Out west off road adventure
« on: October 07, 2023, 10:16:47 AM »
Many of you know we just completed another off-road ride, only this time we went for gold, ultimately to do the Alpine Loop in Colorado. Whew, what a trip.

So easing into it we first drove down to Grapevine Texas from the tuck, a 2-day event where we took our time and drove back roads almost the whole way on day 1.

We stopped for lunch at a famous barbecue spot on the Tennessee/Kentucky state line near my old haunt, Ft. Campbell.

The best food along the way was the trip north from Grapevine TX to Amarillo to one of my favorite steak houses in Texas. I think I first ate there in the 1980's
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Out west off road adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »
Found these in Northern Texas

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »
There was another must-see near Amarillo...The Cadillac ranch. Being long-term Cadillac owners, we had to go and pay homage. I painted one with a  healthy NSDQ. Onlookers were clueless...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 10:22:56 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 10:22:15 AM »
OK, I guess I'll pause the writeup while I figure out how to properly orient the pictures...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 10:23:52 AM »
Well, one teaser...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 10:24:32 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 05:50:50 PM »
Here are a couple more after-action review comments that may prove helpful:

Just as expected, things are going to fail. I would not know how to prepare for all that may happen, and one cannot carry along a hardware store and a Jeep service department, but you most probably will need something.

1. At one point our 175W flexible solar panel tried to detach itself. We were near the top of Pikes Peak and subjected to what I estimate to be 50Kt or better wind gusts, the moorings ripped loose and I suddenly had a sail panel. I did not have extra Gorilla tape, so that is now in my tool kit.

2. When I first aired down, one of the air valves failed. Yep, stopped doing anything. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and therefore I did not have an extra, or the tool available.

3. I forgot to pack my multi-tool pliers. I needed that thing at least a few times to bend things back or help secure stuff. I am velcroing a pouch to a pillar with one permanently installed.

4. I overheated my brakes several times! Ya, a new one on me too! the last day in the San Juan, when I was airing back up at the lower end of Corkscrew, I could smell burnt fluid and heard something like boiling! A couple of days later, descending from the summit of Pikes Peak I made the mandatory stop at the Ranger station 1/4th the way down from the summit. The Ranger there checks everyone's brake temps before allowing them to drive the rest of the way down. Mine registered 380F and he was not wanting me to continue until things cooled down. I smelled that same scent and immediately knew the Corkscrew and a couple of other times I had smelled my brakes. I plan to upgrade to the big brake kit before next year's mountain adventure.

Preparedness is an evolving process. You learn from what you just did. You make calculated adjustments to your formula and go at it again. I do that, I think most people do that. But Murphy is out there in the shadows, under a rock or behind a tree, and he is waiting to get you. Although I mostly do solo trips, I am starting to think the best defense to having an unauthorized visit by Murphy is to travel in a group. Hopefully, the others just may have that one little sniffler valve or fornutin tube you just broke.

Happ-ee trails, safe travels!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
Use the transmission, and transfer case more for speed control coming down hills. That'll save the brakes. It's always better to travel off road with at least one other vehicle. That way you can share parts, tools, know-how...or have a way to get off the trail.  :wink:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 11:48:39 AM »
Use the transmission, and transfer case more for speed control coming down hills. That'll save the brakes. It's always better to travel off road with at least one other vehicle. That way you can share parts, tools, know-how...or have a way to get off the trail.  :wink:
Agree on all points

Coming down Pikes Peak, I was using 2nd gear and engine braking, but the motor was spinning as high as 5,000 RPM at times trying to hold back gravity.

Found a 4-wheel Teraflex, big brake kit for around $2500. I think I'll add that as insurance before we hit the Tetons next spring.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 01:16:38 PM »
Wow! I'd expect that from a diesel without an exhaust brake, but that's some piss poor engine braking from a gas-burner.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 06:30:37 PM »
Yeah, I’ve never had an issue coming down pikes.  I stab brake to get slow and then repeat when it regains momentum. Bigger motor equals better engine braking….cough cough…hemi swap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 07:01:41 PM »
Yeah, I’ve never had an issue coming down pikes.  I stab brake to get slow and then repeat when it regains momentum. Bigger motor equals better engine braking….cough cough…hemi swap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Subliminal...nice!

Keep it up, it's working...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
Wow! I'd expect that from a diesel without an exhaust brake, but that's some piss poor engine braking from a gas-burner.
I agree.
It was sort of doing the job, but Kat kept complaining, saying, "That just doesn't sound right."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal