Hello Guest

Author Topic: New gun purchase  (Read 6528 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New gun purchase
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
This kid is just liv9ing right or something

So today, we had an appointment for imaging of his elbow (To see if any fluid pockets remain) up in Liberty Township, OH. As we pulled off the highway right there sat a Cabela's!

So guess where we stopped after the ultra sound???

He wanted to look at that Benelli Super Nova, which it turned out that they had in both cammo for $599 and black for $499. We almost purchased it, but before doing so, Jim our salesman suggested we tour their library of used guns, which we did. And guess what we found in there? A Benelli Super Nova for $249 which we quickly snatched up.

I'm getting a bit jealous at these purchases.

I just may look for a good used 30-06 myself as a "hunter" and I sure am liking that Benelli as compared to my Mossy's, and winchester 12 gages...

Have...To...F i g h t... o  f  f... t  h  e.... t...e...m...p...t...a...t...i...o...n...

Well this is just awesome! I like that shotgun, brother has one!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »
Having worked in a gun store for several years I guarantee Jim knew there was a used Super Nova back there. Solid move on his part. Glad your pre ranger is having some good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2019, 03:57:27 PM »
If you’ve got the temptation for a new pump gun, do yourself a favor and look over a Browning BPS.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »
If you’ve got the temptation for a new pump gun, do yourself a favor and look over a Browning BPS.

When it comes to Browning, I never seem to get past the Auto-5
Was my Dad's favorite gun. Always wanted one, but never bought one.
I find myself wondering why I didn't get off my dead, worthless buttox and buy it for him.
When they die it is too late to make things right!
Fact!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
Love my A5... original Belgium model. The only bird gun I use. Sometimes it's picky tho so now I just stick with high base shells.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2019, 07:43:19 AM »
I have a super black eagle and that thing eats anything and it swings nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Here it is, and MAN, DO I LIKE A 30-06!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2019, 04:58:34 PM »
We spent some good hours sighting in that no-name 3X9 which is on the hit list for replacement.

But that long stroke bolt and the pretty large cartridge, the loud report and the very abrupt recoil just adds to the mystic of that weapon.

He couldn't group, but the gun can. His are all above and with a hot barrel, I fired that group on the bottom which was between 1/2"-3/4" essentially, just one hole

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2019, 04:59:31 PM »
Yep, nice shooting day

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2019, 05:04:09 PM »
Oh, and we had a champion of the universe shooting competition. Bottle of water at 100 meters. He shooting his 30-06, and me shooting my Glock 19.

It was during that shoot that one of the russian made 115 gr ball rounds was primer only, I thing because it pushed a bullet almost out of the barrel but not quite

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »
I didn't get a full mag out, but was close. He was too, knocking it over with dirt spray, but he loaned me the rifle and I made a cloud out of that bottle.

Fathers and sons ought to have days like these to park in the memories

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
Good stuff there Don.

So I’m assuming the squib round did not cycle the slide and chamber the next round?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2019, 11:26:39 AM »
Good stuff there Don.

So I’m assuming the squib round did not cycle the slide and chamber the next round?

Is that what it's called? Regardless, good question. I assumed it did in his other thread.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »

But that long stroke bolt and the pretty large cartridge, the loud report and the very abrupt recoil just adds to the mystic of that weapon.

He couldn't group, but the gun can. His are all above and with a hot barrel, I fired that group on the bottom which was between 1/2"-3/4" essentially, just one hole

And you didn't want him to look at a 30.06

Sight it in slow, no real rush to crack off a group. It's a hunting rifle with a light barrel let it cool a little between shots.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
Bobby, you are more than aware that the words patience and Don never go hand in hand.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
Good stuff there Don.

It did not. When I cycled the crudded up slide it stove-piped the heavily blackened case.
It was as if there was powder in there, but it only burned like tar or rubber leaving a ton of residue.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »

And you didn't want him to look at a 30.06

Sight it in slow, no real rush to crack off a group. It's a hunting rifle with a light barrel let it cool a little between shots.
To be quite frank, I think I'd like to pick up a 30-06 hunting only rifle myself. THat is just one cool round.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2019, 05:02:31 PM »
To be quite frank, I think I'd like to pick up a 30-06 hunting only rifle myself. THat is just one cool round.

You know if you pilots listened to the guys on the ground it'll make things so much easier.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2019, 09:31:37 PM »

You know if you pilots listened to the guys on the ground it'll make things so much easier.
I gave up listening to you guys when the HMMV you told me weighed 6500 lbs, That I was sling loading and flying over 100 miles, ended up weighing over 11,000! That screwed my fuel burn rate calculations and I barely made it back
Sorry, but I made a successful career out of not listening to grunts. ;-)

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
I gave up listening to you guys when the HMMV you told me weighed 6500 lbs, That I was sling loading and flying over 100 miles, ended up weighing over 11,000! That screwed my fuel burn rate calculations and I barely made it back
Sorry, but I made a successful career out of not listening to grunts. ;-)

That was a vehicle, not a gun. And it's not our fault the Military wanted to slap a metric tonne (get it Tonne like the Brits spell it... and metric??) of additional armor and electronics on it. Plus we have to listen to you pilots " ohh we can lift it all, this baby will lift soo much stuff"

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2019, 11:54:16 PM »
Please keep going, this is more entertaining than harassing Ken about H....  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »
Please keep going, this is more entertaining than harassing Ken about H....  :popcorn:
Just normal for infantry guys.
Don't like the cold.
Don't like the wet.
Don't like the heat
LBE and rucks are too heavy,
Pilots are winners (Possibly true??),
It's too far, I'm tired of walkin.
The food tastes like schiff.
We haven't eaten in two months
The pilots took all our food (Partially true)
I haven't slept this season
My rifle is dirty
My socks are dirty
My underwear are dirty
Those pilots smell like they have showered (Yup, everyday bro!)
My HMMV is all ganked up ever since that chinook pilot dropped it from 2"!
And the 502nd infantry guy who drove away from where I set his vehicle down, right into a crevasse, and later said the pilot set it down there
My helmet hurts my head
There's not a cloud in the sky and the pilots called off the mission due to weather. (All you can eat barbeque over at Red's)
The pilots can't fly because they didn't get enough "Rest" (Truth is we didn't get our pillow top mattresses delivered in time)
How come I have to wear this camo paint and the pilots don't?
Pilots get to wear unauthorized stuff on their uniforms. When I try to correct them they stand me at attention and chew my butt
I hate my life
Why did I volunteer to be a grunt
How exactly do I become a pilot??? ;-)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:56:47 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
;-)

Not that we don't like being cold,wet,tired, it's really due to the fact if we don't bitch about it then the officers will come up with something stupid to do. Pilots are just jealous there's more movies and stories told about us Grunts.
Pilots get sad if they don't get their mani pedi's done pre-flight with a freshly laundered flightsuit, light starch cause heaven forbid they get chafing.
What grunt with actual combat time wears socks and underwear in the field of deployment? That's something a pilot would do.
I detest the helmets so that one's a little valid. But then again I just wouldn't wear it when I could pull it off.

I went more sterile uniforms than totally authorized, usually without shaving for a few days.
I volunteer to be a grunt cause where else would they give me that much ammo to shoot, blow things up and workout?
I was actually being recruited by a few Officers to put a Warrant packet it, however I could count without having to ask an NCO what comes next.

If you really want to see something comical, give a pilot a map and compass and put them in the woods, with a loaded ruck, in the dark.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2019, 06:09:30 PM »
By the way you described Don, he sounds like he might fit in with the Air Force pilots.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
;-)

Not that we don't like being cold,wet,tired, it's really due to the fact if we don't bitch about it then the officers will come up with something stupid to do. True! Infantry lieutenants are famous for that kinda junk! Pilots are just jealous there's more movies and stories told about us Grunts. There may be a few more, possibly, but hey what about "Top-Gun" and 12 O'clock high" and how about that other one...??
Pilots get sad if they don't get their mani pedi's done pre-flight with a freshly laundered flightsuit, light starch cause heaven forbid they get chafing. That's what the white silk scarfs are for!
What grunt with actual combat time wears socks and underwear in the field of deployment? Ya know, I never checked, and that's a good thing! That's something a pilot would do. Why, yes we would. You see wearing of cotton underwear and socks makes us more fire proof. As a part of the pre-flight and safety checks we brief passengers to have cotton undies on. I'd wager more than a couple females were "safety-checked!"
I detest the helmets so that one's a little valid. But then again I just wouldn't wear it when I could pull it off. I almost never knew where mine was. On at least one and likely more, missions, I forgot to bring it. I remember the day in Iraq where some infantry Colonel was yelling at me because I didn't have my kevlar on. That was one of the days I forgot to bring it. I didn't even stop to argue with him. That did not compute, LTC's believe the planets revolve around them and some warrant officer ignoring him was not in his box of possible responses.

I went more sterile uniforms than totally authorized, usually without shaving for a few days. Nothing wrong there...
I volunteer to be a grunt cause where else would they give me that much ammo to shoot, blow things up and workout? I volunteered to be a pilot because the girls always chased after pilots. There was another reason I volunteered, but I seem to have forgotten it...
I was actually being recruited by a few Officers to put a Warrant packet it, however I could count without having to ask an NCO what comes next. Man...Dude...What were you thinkin? Must not have been thinkin!

If you really want to see something comical, give a pilot a map and compass and put them in the woods, with a loaded ruck, in the dark.Now wait just a minute... Been there, did that. SERE school. I had a group with myself, a commo spec-4, a PFC mechanic, a 75th Ranger E5 and a Green Beret E7. I did what any good officer and leader would do...I gave the compass to the green beret. He in turn gave it to the Ranger. One night in the Uwharrie forest over about 4 hours that Ranger navigated us in a big ole giant circle. Ya, I know all about grunts and night land nav. I also know about death from one million sticker bush scratches!

^^^ I'm thinkin' I handled that pretty professionally. Let me just pat myself on the back some

Your turn, Sarge!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2019, 06:54:39 PM »
By the way you described Don, he sounds like he might fit in with the Air Force pilots.

Oh yea, we got along just fine. My sister unit was the 20th SOS down at HurlBurt. I'd fly in their 53's and they in my Chinook. Now fighter pilots are different. Got into a good scrap with some of them at the Nellis O-Club...

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »

I didn’t serve so I have no dog in this fight but when I saw this I immediately thought of the conversation y’all were having.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »

I didn’t serve so I have no dog in this fight but when I saw this I immediately thought of the conversation y’all were having.

Until the pilots have to go out in the rain then the Grunts are their friends. Until we track mud, water, or other detris onto their beloved bird.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2019, 09:46:44 PM »

Until the pilots have to go out in the rain then the Grunts are their friends. Until we track mud, water, or other detris onto their beloved bird.
True!
But it's mostly the crew chiefs who can't stand the mud you boys track all over. Our cockpits stay reasonably clean...That or we start whining, and crew dogs can't stand hearin' that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal