Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban Bumpers  (Read 10480 times)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban Bumpers
« on: March 01, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
I plan to post the larger progress points I Don's main thread, but post the actual process here.

I picked the majority of the steel up for the front and rear bumpers last week.  I did all the modeling on the computer, with a little back and forth with Don we got the designs squared away.

Front Bumper:  There is a 5" and 4" round lights facing forward and 3-1/2" light facing toward the side.  Winch will be mounted in the center with a 2" receiver beneath it.  Normally I build everything from 7 gauge (about 3/16") but Don asked me to try and put it on a diet.  Most of the center section and mounting brackets are still 7 gauge, but I changed some of the sell up to 10 gauge.

Rear Bumper:  Nothing real special on the rear bumper itself.  I built it for a set of 4" backup lights.  The tire carrier will be from 2"x4" rectangle tube with a bin for the can's Don wants to carry.  I've got an oversized 37" tire for a space claim in the model here.

The original plan was for me to do the design work, send some files over to Don and he would get the parts laser cut local.  Then we changed the plan up and Don asked me to do the fabrication also and ship the bumpers to him.  We finalized some design aspects and I started ordering material last week.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
I picked up the flat steel last week from the guys I use for laser cutting.  I like to laser cut the parts as it gives a near perfect fit.  I can accurately notch and tab pieces so everything fits together really nicely and clean.  It speeds up assembly of the pieces a lot when everything fits perfectly.

This is how I get the steel in.  Usually each bumper I send in is a unique file.  That steel will be cut out and stacked on a pallet.  Normally they stack multiple bumpers on a pallet with a layer of cardboard between them.   I got an extra pallet today because of the change in material sizes.

And here is the vast majority of the steel that is going to make up the front and rear bumpers.  There will be some tubing added to this pile at a latter date.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:07 AM »
Started tacking up the rear bumper last night.  Generally the first step is sorting and stacking parts as I unload from the pallet.  After building a lot of these, I can generally just look at a piece and know what it is for and where it goes.  I am sure it would just be a really confusing puzzle to most other people at the start.  Once you get the pieces sorted and figured out it goes together quick.

Here is where I start with the rear bumper. 

I start out by building the "step section" up and placing the top on.  Here you can see where the pieces are notched and tabbed to fit together.

I actually missed a few notches on the top section here.  Normally there would be a few more notches coming through the top to locate the top piece better.  Missing stuff like that is always one of my worries when doing one-off stuff like this.  So I just cut the tabs off the vertical pieces and located the top on what I had.

Then I flip it over and tack in the rest of the framing pieces. I do these right away to give it some structure so it doesn't deform as badly when welding.

Again you can see that this pieces are notched so they fit together and are located perfectly. 

I could already tell that thinner piece of 10 gauge on top was starting to bow more than usual so I tacked a piece of angle to the top to try and help keep it straight.  I will remove this after the bumper shell is welded and cooled down.

Then I just start filling in pieces.  On a rear bumper I start at the center and work my way down and out.  Because everything is laser cut I just place everything line on line and tack in place.

And just keep working my way along until all the pieces are used up.

Here you can see how the panels also lay on the mounting brackets previously tacked in place.

And the entire shell of the bumper tacked together.  You will notice a few holes in the bumper.  These will be used to locate the recovery tabs and light mounting brackets later.

I also tucked the license plate light mount in place.  This gets welded in at an angle and (2) led lights will fit into these 3/4" holes that will illuminate the license plate.

Next step here will be welding the bumper solid.  Then a bunch of grinding to clean it up before I start working on all of Don's extras.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:57:54 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »

Next step here will be welding the bumper solid.  Then a bunch of grinding to clean it up before I start working on all of Don's extras.

Hmmm Don, extra's.... How did that happen.. Bumpers look great!  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
Brian, Outstanding work!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
 Bumper looks great. Now I’m gonna need one for the K5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »
Love it!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:48:05 PM »
Berry nice!!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:16:22 PM »
Started off by welding the rear bumper solid.  Not a whole lot to show there.  You may have noticed when I tacked it together there are a few seams that are pretty much straight up butt welds darn near.  I like to open those up with a grinder before filling them back in with weld to make sure I get good penetration. 

After welding the outside shell up I move to the inside to weld all the frame pieces.  I normally don't weld the inside seams but I do like to put a plug weld in all the corners and at the end of a seam.

Then I tacked up the receiver mounting bracket.  On the stock bumper there is an internal support that the receiver bolts up into.  This is an important piece to support the tongue weight for the factory receiver.  A lot of the heavier aftermarket units don't need this but the stock unit definitely does.  You can ask one of my customers who forgot to intall those bolts what happens if you forget.  Hint: you don't make it out of the drive way with your loaded car trailer before the receiver is dragging on the ground.  This piece gets welded up to the underside of the bumper step after welding the hidden nuts in place.

This is all the progress for the rear bumper tonight. Hopefully should be able to do some grinding on it tomorrow.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:25:42 PM »
Then started tacking the center section of the front bumper up. Started out by  cleaning up and laying out the 7 gauge pieces.  Again these pieces are notched and tabbed so everything slides together.

I start by attaching the frame pieces to the left and right side center section.  I place all the framing pieces together to hold the parts square and in place.  Then I tack those 2 pieces to the center plate.

Next I tack the top plate in place.  This piece is also notched and tabbed and helps to pull everything in place.

After that I start filling in the other panels.  Here is the last of the 7 gauge pieces.

These to upper panels were cut from 10 gauge as will be the rest of the panels.

Those slots on the side will be to locate the upright for the grille guard.  They also allow the upright to pass through the bumper and be welded directly to the frame/ mounting bracket that will be bolted to the truck.

And that concluded tonight's activities in the shop.  Next up will be checking the fit of the winch mounting brackets before welding the center section up.  Should get that done tomorrow as well as tacking together the wing sections and welding the entire front bumper solid.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 10:19:59 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 07:48:20 AM »
That’s really nice work and attention to detail. What welder are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 08:41:03 AM »
Thanks, after you build a couple hundred you learn a few tricks.  I was thinking last night I should do a post with what tools I use.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »
Again, totally outstanding work here. This is nothing less than the creation of a custom piece. This is beyond what I could have purchased. No compromises, but exactly what I wanted. The build details are the genius of Brian, Bear Claw Bumpers alone. He birthed this idea, and I am happy to be one of the many to own two of his creations, and to shed some public light on this product and his talent.
We may be seeing the departure point where his business skyrockets due to the exposure and subsequent spreading of the word. May it be so, and hopefully bring him the success he has earned.

Well done

(Even though it's not done)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
TRN asked about what welder I was using so I thought I would do a post on my tools.

First tool I use is the computer and CAD programs.  I run CREO, which use to be Pro-E.  It is similar to some more of the more commonly known CAD programs like Solid Works.  It isn't as user friendly but a bit more powerful in my opinion.  It is what I first started using and learned and I also use CREO at work.

I run a Lincoln Power Mig 255 welder.  I go through enough gas that I lease a bigger tank from the local Air Gas.  I also have a smaller tank that I own.  I keep that one full so I can swap it out should I run out.  Most welding shops usually aren't open on the weekends and I get most of my work done on the weekends so I like to keep a spare around.  I swapped the factory whip out for a Tregaskiss Tough Gun whip a couple years back.  I also run .045" wire for most jobs.  I keep a 44lb spool of wire at all times also.

I also have a Hypotherm Powermax 30 plasma torch.  If I have a standard job I don't need this at all.  On one off stuff like Don's I try and design everything in CAD but something can be missed and then the torch comes. This unit is rated for 3/8" steel but I have successfully cut 1/2" taking it slow.  This unit can run on 110 or 220.  When in the shop I run it on 220.

I've got 3 main grinders.

The big 7"/9" that I do the majority of the cleanup work with and (2) smaller 4-1/2" grinders.  I keep the abrasive disk on the one grinder for lighter clean up work etc.  I swap between a cut-off wheel and hard grinding disk on the other depending on what I am doing.  Someday I will pick up a 3rd one so I can have a dedicated grinder with a cut-off wheel and one with a hard grinding disk.  The big grinder in this pic has a 9" hard disk.  That is what I use to get the rough grinding done.  The bigger the wheel is the faster it will grind down.  I usually run that disk until it is about 4"-5".  Then I swap for a new one and use the used up one on the 4-1/2" grinder for smaller jobs.  I can get about 2 rear and 2 front bumpers grinded down per 9" hard disk.

After the rough grind through this fiberglass backing pad set up on with a 9" abrasive disk.  This will clean the bumper up nice and blend all the corners in.  You can pull some material off real quick when these disks are fresh, but once they start to where out they are much less effective.  I usually use 1 or sometimes 2 per bumper.  You have to be a little careful when running these.  If you catch an edge you can start to tear one up and then it kind of blows up on you.

Those are my main tools.  I would like a few others but I am limited on floor space.  I basically work out of the third stall of my garage.  I have the last stall walled off from the other 2 to keep the mess I create just in my area.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
Not a ton or work completed since the update Friday night.  I did get the rear bumper all grinded down and ready to start adding on extra parts to.  Forgot to take a picture of that getting done Saturday.  Then did some welding on the center section of the front bumper.  Before I moved on with the front I test fitted the winch mounting brackets.  As I was putting it together I was getting concerned.  I had shrunk everything up quite a bit for down and it was looking pretty small, to small to fit a winch I thought.  After doing some checking my suspicions were confirmed, I had forgotten to take into account the size needed for the winch I started shrinking the front.  Had a little back and forth with Don Sunday to better understand his winch requirements and I have the start of a plan in motion to resolve the issues.  It is going to be one of those times where the plasma torch comes in handy.  One of the reasons I like working with steel though is because with a welder, torch and grinder and can fix just about any screw up I make.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
I think we resolved the clearance issues. I think just opening the top of the bumper in and around the winch will solve any clearance problems. I wanted it that way anyway so I could get to the winch to service it. If it sits proud of the top plane and Brian builds some interior walls and a floor for the thing to sit on, I thing we'll be golden

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »
Got the front all welded up and the rough grind down done.

Then started cutting out the center section for the winch.  Got a little figuring to do in CAD to determine what exactly I need to put back in where.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
Sure looks good for having a woops!! Would love to have some of your work on our 74.... maybe later this year.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 12:16:48 AM »
 Brian don’t throw that design away. May have to get that design for my LB7

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 07:39:47 AM »
Sure looks good for having a woops!! Would love to have some of your work on our 74.... maybe later this year.

Thanks,  it's rare that I get through one-off like this without some type of whoops.  No matter how much planning I do in 3-D there always seems to be something I miss.  This was a rather big miss, and it took a while to figure out how to move forward, but I think the solution will turn out very clean.

When the time comes I would be glad to try and help out on your 74.  I've never done anything like that, but those older vehicles are easier to work with.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »
Brian don’t throw that design away. May have to get that design for my LB7

There is actually a quite a bit different from the 03.  There was a substantial frame change and obviously some styling changes.  But I could definitely transfer some ideas to an 03 bumper.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »
so let me ask this question.

would it make things easier if you made some sort of a moveable jig?

for example:  start with your frame mounts and move upwards and outwards from there.....to help keep the straightness and to prevent shrinkage?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 09:04:33 AM »
so let me ask this question.

would it make things easier if you made some sort of a moveable jig?

for example:  start with your frame mounts and move upwards and outwards from there.....to help keep the straightness and to prevent shrinkage?

With the inherent strength in the shape of the front bumper I get very little movement.  I go get a little bit of movement in the rear bumpers, but it is predictable and doesn't cause and issues with fit and isn't noticeable unless you are really looking hard and comparing truck lines to that of the bumper.  I was a little concerned that thinning up the front would cause an issue.  For that reason I modified the front mounting brackets to that they bolt on to the bumper and onto the truck.  Usually I weld the frame mounting bracket directly to the bumper on most models and there is virtually no adjustability.  I am going to ask Don to weld the mounting brackets in place after he gets the bumper on and adjusted to his liking.

I've explored some fixturing previously. A couple reasons I never went done that path:
- the way I have everything in CAD and laser cut makes for a near perfect fit.  Using my methods gives me very predicable results when I tack the bumper together.  I use to measure the span form left to right fender edge to make sure everything was tracking well.  After tacking I would be +/- 1/8" over about 78" of width.  That is incredibly good.  That measurement barely changes after welding.  I don't measure any more, unless I feel something is off or for some reason I am fighting to tack one together.
- I would need a unique fixture for each model.  I don't have the space to store that much tooling, nor do I want to carry that much overhead.
- When I am tacking and welding them up I can easily flip, turn and position the bumper to make it easier to work on.
- I like the ability to be extremely flexible in what I can do.  A fixture would be another thing I need to worry about when I start talking to a "Don" and they want me to change everything for them.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
Nate, what he’s saying ^^^^^ is it’s not your pecker and shrinkage isn’t an issue!  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 10:41:13 AM »
Nate, what he’s saying ^^^^^ is it’s not your pecker and shrinkage isn’t an issue!  :popcorn:
  :evil:hahaahahhaaahahahhahaa!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
You just got away with sayin' that???!!! :police:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
 :facepalm:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
Only because even Nate thought it was funny.... :knucklehead:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
Mine is a 2001 2500HD LB7

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
Mine is a 2001 2500HD LB7

That's right.  For some reason I thought it was a 2003.  No matter, still different than Don's 2500 non-HD.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »
Shoot. I thought they might be the same

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
The frame mounting points are the same, but there is basically a body lift on the HD and the grille is deeper.  If you look at the front of your truck, the grille comes down into the bumper.   The non-HD 2500 is straight across to the lights.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
Finished up the changes needed for the winch mounting last night.  I still need to make some modifications to the back of the bumper to mount the winch.  Originally the plan was to mount the winch feet down.  Because of the space concerns I needed to change that plan up and mount the winch feet forward. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
Started out yesterday by cleaning up the front bumper.  Then started working on the brush guard.  First I welded the recovery mounts on.  I didn't thing I would have the best access to them after getting the brush guard uprights in place.  Then I welded the brush guard uprights in.  These slid into the slots just as planned.

Then wrapped the uprights with the 1.5" wide strip.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:21:34 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Looks good so far!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:32 AM »
Still making some progress here.  Just not taking the time to take as many pictures.  Starting to get into the more tedious work now.  Started working on the swing arm over the weekend and the arm stops last night.  I still have a little bit of work to finish up and clean up on the arm stops.  Then I have a little work to finish up the bin.  Hoping to finish up the rear bumper tonight.

I have the rear bumper anchored to the weld table here so I can swing the arm open and closed.  It swings smoothly.  There are a few minor changes I would have made to the ruff stuff spindle but it will still work great.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
Brian, is there a 10 degree tilt in the spare tire carrier?
Looks to be level...

The thing looks brutal strong.
Hope it doesn't need to be...Yikes!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Looks to be level...

There will be a 2" tube inserted into that receiver for adjustability.  The angle will be cut into that piece.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »
Looks to be level...

There will be a 2" tube inserted into that receiver for adjustability.  The angle will be cut into that piece.
Excellent

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »
A little more progress last night.  First up was getting the main latch mounted up for the swing arm.  The original plan was to bolt the latch and the bracket to the bumper but decided to bolt the latch down and weld the bracket on due to space limitations.  I doubled plate everything that is going to get tapped.  So there are (2) 7 gauge plates stacked on top of each other for the latch bolts to thread into.  About 3/8".

Then I mocked up the secondary pin latch.  There will be a second pin like this on the pivot side to hold the arm open also.  I still need to locate the plate that will be welded onto the tower for this pin to drop into to hold the arm closed.

Then spent some time to finish up the bin that will be welded onto the arm to carry the fuel and water cans.  Need to do a little more clean up work on the arm and bin before the two are mated together.  No pic of that today.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:07 AM »
Those catch pins look pretty sweet

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 11:37:04 PM »
Decided to switch gears and started working on the front bumper guard.  The original plan was to have new tubing formed up from one of the suppliers I typically go to for bent tubing.  I don't have a ton of shop space for a tube bender, and typically I want tighter bends then the reasonably priced tube benders can form so I just purchase these from somebody else.  After sending out prints,  they either couldn't make the parts as requested or had extremely long lead times.  I looked into the inventory of tubing I had and came up with a plan to re-work some of those pieces into what I needed.

The center sections got a couple slices on the back side and bent a few more degrees to make them sit a little more proud of the bumper.  The side pieces needed to get completely cut up, rotated, shortened, lengthened and welded back together.   These are all 2" 11 gauge welded tube.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 11:42:44 PM »
I got those pieces re-worked yesterday and they were waiting for me to put on the bumper tonight.  I started by preparing the bumper for the side pieces. Normally I know were these guards will be going when I have the parts laser cut, so I cut a hole in the bumper to accept the tubing.  In this case the final brush guard design was lagging behind the bumper and I wanted to get the flat steel going so I left that cut out.  In cases like this I print a 1:1 template off to mark the hole with.  Then plasma torch a hole and clean it up with a die grinder.  I like to go a little small on the torched hole and open in up with the grinder to get a good tight fit.

This is where the tube should pass through the bumper.

Template for marking the hole location.

Hole torched, cleaned up and sized.

Tube test fit in place.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Similar to marking out he hole in the bumper, I printed some templates and marked where the tubing should meet the uprights.  This removes the guess work and trying to eye things up and match one side to the other.

I had to do a little trimming on the guard pieces to get the fit just right.  Over all everything came together and fit as planned.  I can generally get the bumper leveled up on the table and then if I have vertical and horizontal pieces on the tubing use those to help set the tubing in position.

First I tacked the sides and top center in place.  Checked for the overall fit and look and welded those in solid.  Where the tubing pierces through the bumper I weld on both the front and the rear a much as I can access.

Then set the lower center piece in place and welded it solid also.

And that was it for tonight.  Off on a mini trip with the wife this weekend so will be planning on finishing up the last few details on the front early next week.  Then finishing up the rear and swing arm.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 05:10:21 AM »
I'm hoping this is not DOTing too badly, but I've had bumpers with and with out the tubes/brush guards.  I've debated whether they are really functional.  If running into a branch it only delays the impact to the fender as it bounces off the guard.  if you hit someone or something really hard it might reduce the amount of damage to the sheet metal but it's going to bend up.  Add to that the difficulty in cleaning the front of the vehichle from the tubes (and is some cases expanded metal grates) in front.

Wondering what the builder has to say about the usefulness of the tubes?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »
It certainly will help with pedestrians at the mall

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 11:19:54 PM »
I'm hoping this is not DOTing too badly, but I've had bumpers with and with out the tubes/brush guards.  I've debated whether they are really functional.  If running into a branch it only delays the impact to the fender as it bounces off the guard.  if you hit someone or something really hard it might reduce the amount of damage to the sheet metal but it's going to bend up.  Add to that the difficulty in cleaning the front of the vehichle from the tubes (and is some cases expanded metal grates) in front.

Wondering what the builder has to say about the usefulness of the tubes?

I certainly have some thoughts on this but it is to lengthy to get into the details on my phone.   Will out something up early next week for you.  For the most part, would agree with you though.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 12:07:45 AM »
It certainly will help with pedestrians at the mall

But they aren't in the mulch!

I would rather bend and scrape a sheet metal than loose lights. Plus depending on speed it may allow stopping to avoid sheet metal damage before it snaps?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 12:12:14 AM »
I’m thinking hitting a deer might be the only useful purpose for the tubing....

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban Bumpers
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »
I’m thinking hitting a deer might be the only useful purpose for the tubing....

Kangaroo???

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal