Hello Guest

Author Topic: Deleting LML  (Read 4597 times)

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
Deleting LML
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
I tried to leave it alone, I promise I did. For the last 3 years and 44,000 mile I did. Last week we went to Pensacola to visit my little brother who is in some training at the Navy base. Just before we got there I got a CEL. Ran by Autozone to get them to check it out. The dreaded NOX sensor failure. The next morning we got ready to go get some breakfast and it get this message. "175 miles until speed reduced to 65 MPH" That aint good when you are 200 miles from home. Anyway there was a great dealer over there that got it in first thing Monday morning and us back on the road by 10. That all got me thinking though. What if next time that happens I'm in podunk, TN somewhere dragging my horse trailer and go into limp mode. I aint gonna let that happen. I ordered a Flo-Pro exhaust, Pypes downpipe, Sinister EGR delete (it comes with the up pipe block off plate, so not pulling up pipe), and PPEI autocal programmer. I know there is a lot more that can be added, and maybe later, but for now that will get me started. I have looked through several write ups on this job already so I think I have a pretty good understanding of what is involved. I am an oilfield mechanic by trade, so I already know how to deal with bleeding knuckles, how to throw tools across the shop, and how to use the appropriately calibrated hammer to make things fit just right. I will have Thursday evening after I get home, and all day Friday to get this done. Is that enough time to do all this by myself?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting LML
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
It always helps to have a friend. One with small hands. The down pipe will be the hardest and is not necessary to delete if you want to get it going with the exhaust and tunes.

It helps to have one in the engine bay and one working the down pipe from the passenger wheel well. Pull the wheel and liner on that side too.

I swore to leave mine stock too but succumbed to the delete at 23000. I wish I had done it sooner. Not for the power(I only run the 60hp tune) but for the more than 3mpg I picked up towing my fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
If you're taking the egr system out completely , that may not be enough time. To be safe (time wise), I would dump the exhaust, unplug the egr crap (3 items) and tune it. If there's an issue, you will have some extra time to sort it out.....like if it doesn't load a tune right, etc.....and install the DP and egr delete later like tex said.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
I was afraid that would be the case, thanks for the advice. I need the truck for Saturday. I can do the exhaust and tunes before then and the rest later. I will have Mon, Tue, and Wed to get that done before coming back offshore. It's probably better not to push it anyway. Most folks I know have normal jobs and work during the week so getting help aint always easy. I can usually count on my 12 year old nephew. He is a decent hand for his age. I try to let him help and teach him a few things. He'd rather be in the shop or out shooting something than in front of a TV, so I try to encourage that as much as possible.

I can do the exhaust and tunes in a couple hours, that's easy. I have done a few of those, just never a DP or EGR delete on one of these.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »
Yeah, the egr delete is a pain....I'm sure you already know. The most frustrating part I ran into was getting rid of that 9th injector crap. I remember plugging a hole on the cp4 with a bolt (easy) but having trouble splicing a very small rubber return line somewhere up front.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:59 AM »
Well, against my better judgement and y'all's advice I decided to do it all before the weekend. I pulled it in the shop at 1800 and turned the lights out at 2345. So far the exhaust is removed, down pipe swapped, and a lot of the EGR pulled. One of the up pipe nuts was 13mm. I could not find that size in 6 point. I was afraid of stripping it with the 12 point. The down pipe came out easy over the frame rail, so I kept going. I'll be back at it around 0600 and hopefully won't have any issues.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »
Where there is a will, there is a way.  Good for you. Keep going and keep us posted.

I just remember the butt pucker when I got in it to flash it for the first time just hoping the dash didn't light up like a christmas tree and end with a no start condition....

worked like a charm
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:06:14 AM »
Good luck to ya! And good for you.
You have embarked in a very challenging time frame to accomplish this.

I don't have any hands on experience with this, but you'll get 'r done.
And from what I've seen and heard you won't regret it.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
Well, against my better judgement and y'all's advice I decided to do it all before the weekend. I pulled it in the shop at 1800 and turned the lights out at 2345. So far the exhaust is removed, down pipe swapped, and a lot of the EGR pulled. One of the up pipe nuts was 13mm. I could not find that size in 6 point. I was afraid of stripping it with the 12 point. The down pipe came out easy over the frame rail, so I kept going. I'll be back at it around 0600 and hopefully won't have any issues.
The up pipes to turbo bolts are 12 pt 12 mm. Get a strong wrench and some bandages
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 10:33:28 PM »
Don,  With the Senister EGR delete kit you don't pull the up pipe. It comes with a plate for that flange that gets anchored to that support you cut off of yours.

Well here is the update. All the hardware was swapped out or removed and ready for the road in about 12 hours. It all really went pretty smooth. I didn't even shed much blood. I had to stop for a while this morning to help the wife with a few things, so that all wrapped up around 3:30. What happened next is Redneck's fault. You guessed it, tune issues. The simplest part of all this had to be the only thing that gave me problems. Just one more reminder why I like wrenches and hammers better than electronics. I have been on the phone with the vendor I went through and a very very helpful guy he got me in touch to try and help me out. We played with this thing for about 5 hours with no luck. Of course the guy at the tune company "who normally handles these issues is out of the office today". I guess now is the time where I Admit I should have followed my instincts and some wisdom. Either that or just try to tune it first.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
Sorry to hear. Once you get it straight you'll grin ear to ear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:04 PM »
Whos the tuner?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 10:06:43 AM »
 :-X
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
For the sake of full disclosure, before I started tearing this thing apart I had another truck to use if needed. I wound up using an 08 2500 duramax for the weekend so I was fine. It belongs to a family member who is out of town working.

I got the tunes loaded Monday after a few phone calls and emails. Something about the efi update affecting the autolock security settings. I ain't real sure how all that works and I really don't care. The tunes are loaded and the truck is on the road. There is still a couple issues they are working on. After two starts I got a check engine light. The code that shows up is "ECM P0401". I have been assured it is nothing to worry about. They had me check to make sure I had everything unplugged that I was supposed to. Not sure how that will turn out and I have not had time to research it any. The other issue is real minor, but annoying. The speedometer is high when compared to GPS. (55 on speedo = 53 on GPS) When I ordered the tunes I gave them the metric size of the tires as well as the actual measured height which is 32 3/8". I was informed today that they can only do whole number tire sizes, no decimal places to get it more accurate. Apparently they set the tunes up for 33" and I think I am going to change them to 32". I would rather have the speedo show low instead of high. I have only driven probably 30 miles or so, but so far I am pleased with the truck'a performance. I loaded the tow tune And plan on just leaving it that way. The sound ain't much louder than stock with the 4" with muffler Flo-Pro exhaust. That is unless you get on it, then it is a noticeable difference. There is a loud air/whistle noise under hard acceleration. I thought something was leaking. A couple people who have ridden with me say it's just the turbo noise from the exhaust. I'm still not convinced, but I don't have another deleted LML to compare it to.

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
I did get new tunes that took care of the CEL and the tire size. I went to work for 2 weeks so the delay was not on the tuner. I had the tunes in an email within an hour of calling them when I got back home last week. I am not sure what they adjusted the tire size to in the tunes, but the speedo and the GPS match. Now I can say I am happy with everything and PPEI had good customer service in my opinion. Now I just need to get some monitoring capabilities. For some reason every time I intend on buying a CTS 2 I wind up spending that money on more gun parts. I guess I need to ask for an allowance increase from the budget dictator.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »
Get the CTS2 and expandable pyro and don't look back. You'll love it, and the dash pods are a nice finish also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal