Hello Guest

Author Topic: Turbo Factory Service Bulletin  (Read 1000 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Turbo Factory Service Bulletin
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »
At 62,000 miles on the 2012 Duramax, I took it in for front brakes.  Sad state of affairs- most local shops don't turn rotors around here as large as these, so "do it yourself" is near impractical!  I'll be able to do the rears, as the rotors on back looked great upon inspection, so slipping new pads in will be "doable" at home.

While they had it, I had then "check out" an occasional smell of the DEF exhaust that'd hang in the cab at warm-up and idle at times.  Seems there's an ill fitting pipe off the turbo, down the back of the engine........I believe we all witnessed the fun Don had with that!  Anyway, being still under the emissions warranty, the parts are on order and will be installed by the Dealership on GMs dime!  Thought I'd pass that along in case someone else might be experiencing this.  Didn't get any specifics on the bulletin, but I'm fairly certain it'd be available on-line.

Hope this helps someone!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:20:33 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Factory Service Bulletin
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »
So, parts came in and Dealership fixed it under warranty with no issues that I've noticed.  Initially smelled like there was still a leak as I could smell the scent of DEF fluid burning, in the cab.  The tech stated that there was evidence of leaking going on at the turbo due to the defect.  They cleaned it best they could, figure it was residual burning off.  Guess they didn't take off the cab!

Side note:  when your DEF fluid light comes on, and me sag center is telling you the level is at 30%, it takes 3 gallons to fill it.  How do I know?  Bought a 2.5 gallon "box" and a single gallon, put the gallon in first, and watched the "box" start to spit out the top with 1/5 left in it!  >:(  Poured water all over the area to rinse it off as that's some corrosive stuff urea!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
2 months to get the parts or get it in?

Whenever I see the name "uera" I think you are pouring, er, ah, well you know.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:14:58 AM »
No more than week & half- due to Christmas and truck in body shop, I scheduled a month later and, forgot to post after I picked it up.........you know the winter cold slows the brain sometimes!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE Turbo Factory Service Bulletin
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
So, somewhat related, DEF message and service engine light pop up on the Duramax the other day, top off with DEF fluid and resets, all fine.  Next morning the old "95 miles to 65mph restriction" message comes up and starts the count down on way to work.

Drop off at dealer with 71,000 miles on the clock and am I glad the warranty is still in play!

Exhaust sensor in catalytic converter is bad, and fused/cooked in place so they have to replace the entire converter (catalytic converter on a diesel?) at a parts cost for converter alone at $2000!!  :o

We'll see what else they did when I pick it up tomorrow- I'm sure the previous leaky down pipe and DEF injector played a part in all of this as well as crappy mileage and performance causing me to think down pipe was leaking again!

29,000 away from deleting it when something else goes wonky!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal