Hello Guest

Author Topic: Alternative vehicle security  (Read 1227 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Alternative vehicle security
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
I haven't had much time to work on the Zombie 350 lately but that hasn't stopped my wheels from turning on ideas.  I'd like to start a discussion in alternative security ideas.

Everyone knows vent window fords are extremely easy to break into.  So I was thinking of ways to secure not only the contents of the truck but also the truck itself.    Obviously it has the factory locks which like most vehicles are easily defeated with a slim Jim or coat hanger. I haven't  figured out a redundant system to supplement the door locks short of bolting a hasp and padlock to the doors lol.  While not aesthetically pleasing would do the job but then they could just break the window to gain access so that is a moot point.   

I know that 3M makes a product designed for building windows that makes them less likely to shatter when hit.  This could be an option.

As far as immobilizing the entire vehicle I've thought about putting a simple toggle switch hidden under the dash somewhere to interrupt the ignition wire.  Would work pretty well for a thief in a hurry.  I've also considered a master battery switch in a non conspicuous place to cut power to the entire electrical system.   I'm going to do this one to my truck as it can sit for long periods of time and I can't afford a dead battery when I get back to it. 

Any other thoughts on this.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative vehicle security
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
Actually, I do have an idea

Over on the SquareD build thread, you may have noticed the ARC switch panel bank.

Go ahead, take a moment and check it out.

OK, now that you've see it. the actual switch panel simply Velcro's to a flat surface and has one small 10 pin connector about the size of a USB cable.

So, you wire the ignition, the starter, the fuel pump and anything else you wanted to that relay box which you could mount anywhere, as in out of sight. Nothing is labeled on it so no one could hope to figure it out. When you leave the vehicle, simply pull the whole switch panel off the dash and put it in your pocket. Nothing that that thing controls will then work. Voila' you're theft proof!

Bam! How you like them apples!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
I think the first rule of thumb is to not make it look like it contains anything of value.  That means nothing left in plain sight.  Most break ins are a crime of quick convenient opportunity.  Who's going to break into a 74 AMC Gremilin?  You get the point.

I met this guy and this stuff is legit.  However I never asked how it performs on tempered safety glass.  http://www.armor-glass.com/

A determined thief will open the hood and jumper the battery and solenoid on the old Fords.  Perhaps securing the hood in addition to a battery disconnect.

Either a secure tool box in back or a small box mounted securly in the cab to secure your personal gear and weapon.

The high tech way would entail spending $750 on a best in class alarm with a one mile radius two way remote, but that's probably not advisable or reasonable.

Or, you could get a rabid badger and leave it in the truck.....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »
I think the first rule of thumb is to not make it look like it contains anything of value.  That means nothing left in plain sight.  Most break ins are a crime of quick convenient opportunity.  Who's going to break into a 74 AMC Gremilin?  You get the point.

I met this guy and this stuff is legit.  However I never asked how it performs on tempered safety glass.  http://www.armor-glass.com/

A determined thief will open the hood and jumper the battery and solenoid on the old Fords.  Perhaps securing the hood in addition to a battery disconnect.

Either a secure tool box in back or a small box mounted securly in the cab to secure your personal gear and weapon.

The high tech way would entail spending $750 on a best in class alarm with a one mile radius two way remote, but that's probably not advisable or reasonable.

Or, you could get a rabid badger and leave it in the truck.....
After the Wisconsin/Kentucky upset, I don't like Badgers anymore!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:31:41 AM »
Rabid badger.......interesting. I wish there was a mr burns from the Simpsons tapping his fingers together methodically emoji.  Would fit pretty good right there.   I agree with the keeping everything low key suggestion.   In the distant future when I finally find bucket seats for my truck I am planning on welding up a steel lock box for the center console.  Weld it up bolt it to the floor and build a  nice looking wood enclosure to make it look presentable.  Also saw the improvised lock box in the floor board of another thread on here that is a pretty good idea. 

I am partial to alarms as I have a pretty bad ass one in my 2012.  It's a  two way alarm and remote start  that  I can control from my phone. Basically anywhere I have cell service I can monitor my truck, start, and lock/unlock the doors.  Came in handy when my truck was in WV and I was in NE and a buddy needed to get his bag he left in my truck.   It also sends me a text message if the alarm is triggered.  I am wanting to stay away from an alarm on the ford for the EMP proof factor.  The alarm is usually tied into a starter kill relay and if for some reason the brain of the alarm is fried I wouldn't want it to prevent me from starting the truck.  Hence the desire for more low tech options. 

When I was in college I heard a story (urban legend) about the pizza delivery guy who's passenger door wouldn't lock.  To avoid getting his pizzas stolen when he was on a delivery he wired a capacitor to the door handle of his car so anyone who tried to get in got a heck of a shock.  That type of thing though in this day and age would be more likely to get a lawsuit filed against you than it would prevent a break in.

Securing the hood is a great idea I hadn't thought of. I would think if you had a locked hood along with two possibly three switches that needed to be flipped to get the truck to start you would be in pretty good shape to prevent a total vehicle theft.  I will look into the link you provided when I'm not on my phone. If you could prevent windows from shattering and making it much more difficult for a smash and grab to succeed you would really be onto something. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:44:40 AM »
Back in my dad's day they would wire a model T coil up to a switch and when someone would lean against the car....ZZZZAAAPP!  Taught them to stay off the multi coat laquer paint job..
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal