.22 LR
0 (0%)
10mm, .357, .44, Other
0 (0%)
12 gage
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: June 03, 2015, 08:39:49 AM

Author Topic: Favorite combat gun pistol/rifle cartridge...vote twice  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Favorite combat gun pistol/rifle cartridge...vote twice
« on: May 04, 2015, 08:39:49 AM »
Let's see which cartridges are the most popular amongst our diverse group
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite combat gun pistol/rifle cartridge...vote twice
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
I only get to pick 2?!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
Is the 12 gauge a pistol or a rifle cartridge?

I need a third choice! One pistol, one rifle, one shotgun.  Or just eliminate 12 gauge from the poll.  It wins hands down as the shotgun round of choice, me thinks...

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:19:56 PM »
No .45-70 ?

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
No .50 Barrett either!? 

Don't want to "carry" one, but talk about fun to shoot- not much for a hunting round, unless there's a REFER Truck, full of sides of beef and you want the truck to just sort of STOP rolling down the road all of a sudden so you can acquire some!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:18:20 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
I'm a fan of the 338 Lapua, great compromise to the 50 BMG. Don't get me wrong, a day of gun powder therapy on a 50 is a lot of good times. Also a lot on the wallet.
I like the ballistics of the 300 Win Mag, and the cost and weight of 5.56.
Then there's the good ole 45, as they don't make a 46.
That would be my top 5. Not necessarily in that order.
And yes 12 gauge anything is on its own. Then there is my 'queens crowbar', Lee Enfield No. 4 MK 2, 303 naturally, which will always have a spot in my heart.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 09:47:11 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:57 PM »
40SW is a solid round. Just as potent as a 45 with all the new loads. I also have a nice folding carbine for it that uses the same glock mags (oh and a Roni)

308 is great since you can still hit well out to 1000 yards and you don't need 2 shots like a 556. I also have 300AAC which is the AR in 308.

12ga is in a class of its own. Few other weapons can stop you with just the sound of it being racked.

JMHO
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:08:08 AM »
40SW is a solid round. Just as potent as a 45 with all the new loads. I also have a nice folding carbine for it that uses the same glock mags (oh and a Roni)

308 is great since you can still hit well out to 1000 yards and you don't need 2 shots like a 556. I also have 300AAC which is the AR in 308.

12ga is in a class of its own. Few other weapons can stop you with just the sound of it being racked.

JMHO

Exactly my opinion of the 12ga. Hopefully wife won't have to shoot anyone with that and the dog barking.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:15:03 PM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
Well so far at the 24 hour point, the .45 and the .556 are the clear run away winners. I suspect the numbers will increase, but the ratios will remain about the same...but I might be surprised!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »
So sad all you old farts  ;) are so hung up on the .45! No love for the 9mm... I guess I could sit here all day and debate with you citing ballistic studies and real world experience but at the end of it we will still just be some no name dudes stretching our egos! Well here are a few people who can shed some light for us! Might wanna re-cast your votes!
9mm!!
Recoil mitigation
Capacity
Cost to train
Millions of dollars spent to make the 9mm perform the way we want it to!
Penetration! Yes, 9mm blasts glass for days. .45 HP's leave most of their meat on the glass! Try it for yourselves...
.45 HP's fill with clothing particles, fail to expand properly...
'Merica!

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/45-acp-vs-9mm-ammo/#bsum-9mm-win
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 03:09:20 PM by Higher Caliber »
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Went with the 40 as that is what my wife and I carry.  5.56 for the long gun for CQC/medium range work.  I have something else if I choose to engage a longer ranges.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
So sad all you old farts  ;) are so hung up on the .45! No love for the 9mm... I guess I could sit here all day and debate with you citing ballistic studies and real world experience but at the end of it we will still just be some no name dudes stretching our egos! Well here are a few people who can shed some light for us! Might wanna re-cast your votes!
9mm!!
Recoil mitigation
Capacity
Cost to train
Penetration! Yes, 9mm blasts glass for days. .45 HP's leave most of their meat on the glass! Try it for yourselves...
'Merica!

So what you're saying is, I should alternate HP/Ball in my .45 and double tap, bend over to pull up my socks and fart between engagements?  OK, seems excessive, but I'll give it a try.........all that bending over is gonna kill me, so I'll just switch over to Mandels and skip that part?  ???
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
9mm!!
Recoil mitigation
Capacity
Cost to train
'Merica!

So what you're saying is, I should alternate HP/Ball in my .45 and double tap, bend over to pull up my socks and fart between engagements?  OK, seems excessive, but I'll give it a try.........all that bending over is gonna kill me, so I'll just switch over to Mandels and skip that part?  ???
Or you could carry both! Shoot assess and pull your other if previous engagement wasn't effective! I like the socks and farting part! Mandals are a nice touch as well!

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 05:30:42 PM »
With the 40 I get the best of both a 45 and a 9mm. For the 45 to be accurate many shoot the 185jhp, well now you have a 40 cal.

Seen the 9mm and 38 make nice holes, then the guy gets mad. Remember having to assist coroner one time looking for a 9mm in someones posterior. They could see it in the xray but the round kept moving in the 500 lbs lard and this was not a mortal wound, but I bet it was close to his brain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh I like the 9mm for a backup. Have nice Keltec that fits in the shorts pocket just fine.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 06:02:17 PM »
With the 40 I get the best of both a 45 and a 9mm. For the 45 to be accurate many shoot the 185jhp, well now you have a 40 cal.

Seen the 9mm and 38 make nice holes, then the guy gets mad. Remember having to assist coroner one time looking for a 9mm in someones posterior. They could see it in the xray but the round kept moving in the 500 lbs lard and this was not a mortal wound, but I bet it was close to his brain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh I like the 9mm for a backup. Have nice Keltec that fits in the shorts pocket just fine.
I would simply rebut by asking, what was the ammo used? Was it Winchester white box or speer gold dot 147gr? How long ago was this? We can't pigeon hole ourselves into generalized thinking of simple caliber v. Caliber... Without close examination of actual rounds there's no comparison or variables to account for. The one shot stop is the exception, not the rule. All handgun rounds are generally inferior. I can PM you a pic of a gaping chest wound created by a .380 and two .45 slugs stuck in a guys skull that just made it through the skin. *both* point blank shots. But I'm sure you have seen the same stuff! All primary duty caliber rounds are roughly equally inferior Scientifically for their own reasons...

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 06:08:38 PM »
.45, .40, 9mm.... Shoot quality ammo you can afford to train with and recognize all weapons systems weaknesses before deploying them... But train often and carry always and you will be light years ahead of any degenerate mope who wishes to bestow harm upon you and yours!

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
Yea that shooting what you carry part is spendy.

I used to sling 115 gr 9mm like it was candy, then load up on hydra-shock for my carry time. Thought I was doing things right then my B.W. buddies splained things to me
So I get into this .40 G23. I like that gun
I am shooting ball like I was with the G19, but recently switched to the expensive stuff. This weekend went through two 25 round boxes ricky-tick. And that stuff's not cheap!
But recoil is definitely different (more) with the mo-powerful ammo.
Maybe I'll be rich someday and shoot good ammo like it's .22LR

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 06:53:50 PM »
Yea that shooting what you carry part is spendy.

I used to sling 115 gr 9mm like it was candy, then load up on hydra-shock for my carry time. Thought I was doing things right then my B.W. buddies splained things to me
So I get into this .40 G23. I like that gun
I am shooting ball like I was with the G19, but recently switched to the expensive stuff. This weekend went through two 25 round boxes ricky-tick. And that stuff's not cheap!
But recoil is definitely different (more) with the mo-powerful ammo.
Maybe I'll be rich someday and shoot good ammo like it's .22LR
I'd like you to try these and see what you think! I think they are highly versatile in the short to medium barrels and are contoured and loaded the same... They are a smooth shooting round and I have been highly impressed with their range performance...

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/winchester-w-train-and-defend.aspx

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 07:01:53 PM »
The thing is whether you are shooting .22 or .45 the fundamentals don't change. Only time between discharge and sight alignment recognize. We don't press the trigger and make our weapons fire, we allow them to fire... You shouldn't allow yourself to rapidly engage with a .22 simply because your weapon system doesn't move as much. We still get back on the front post, level, center and press, repeat... That is how we become hand gunners... Too often I see know-it-alls on the range, making it rain down range with great ferocity and vigor hoping they are hitting center mass, citing "point shooting". The truth is "hope" is not a tactic.

More later... Dinner bell

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
all right guys, ill weigh in on this but my opinion is going to be biased because I still have access to these weapons systems   ;D

this is my list in order

- a fixed wing air craft with a choice of either a 500 / 2000 lb bomb (they make good boom's and big holes in the ground  ;D )
- 155mm howitzer
- .50 cal browning machine gun
- MK19 (40mm grenade launcher)
- M240 (in any configuration) 7.62
- M16A2/4 (because I am a bigger guy and the M4 is a bit small in my paws) I can still do close quarters and reach out and get yah at 800m

if I have to resort to a hand gun then I have messed up somewhere in the above choices  :o !

sorry for the derail, carry on.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
So, Don, I think HC might be implying something!
....from the Winchester page:

“The influx of new female shooters to the outdoor/shooting sports category is significant and we are committed to making their experiences positive when it comes to selecting the appropriate gear, which includes ammunition,” said Brett Flaugher, vice president of sales, marketing and strategy.

hahahaha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
So, Don, I think HC might be implying something!
....from the Winchester page:

“The influx of new female shooters to the outdoor/shooting sports category is significant and we are committed to making their experiences positive when it comes to selecting the appropriate gear, which includes ammunition,” said Brett Flaugher, vice president of sales, marketing and strategy.

Lol! Lower recoil is cool for all sexes!

hahahaha

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
I agree, train with what you carry, always have. Not as much now since its out of my pocket but KNOW that weapon will function as required with the round you carry!!

Yes, the M4 is nice but needs more power, hence the 300AAC option.

The biggest I got to play with was a 37mm and HK-MP40 (notice they made the 37 it so it can't use military rounds)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:26 PM »
We tried one of those 37mm grenade launchers. Tried to shoot red smoke. Mark the bad guys with red then follow with heavy application of minigun.

So I was driving the helo the first time we shot that junk. Round left the tube, and that is about it. The grenade was immediately pushed downward by the rotor down wash and fell WAAAY short.

Next flight, back to the 40mm and those wonderful HE rounds.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal