Hello Guest

Author Topic: for those that carry a sidearm  (Read 2938 times)

OldKooT

for those that carry a sidearm
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »

So I am curious, do you feel on edge or uncomfortable more so when you are in a situation you can not carry? Tough to carry a side arm at the local pool, or roller skating as a few simple examples.

Although I do often open carry, both a side arm and a pliers, I miss my pliers more than a weapon in most instances...just thought I'd see what folks think so I am asking.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: for those that carry a sidearm
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
I carry a leatherman & seems I always need it when I'm not carrying it.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
Different situations Koot

Rural Nebraska you'd have more need for pliers, fencing pliers most likely, I'm guessing, than I would have in the "Over the Rhine" district in Cincinnati.

I seldom don't carry now. In my county, heroine is epidemic. Has to do with vicinity of Cincy and the crossroads of two major highways used to bring the stuff to northern areas, mostly Chicago. Friday some thugs broke into a home and took family members captive. The criminals drove the abducted folks around the county forcing them to withdraw cash from various ATM's.

I drove my Triumph down to Rabbit-Hash (look it up) a local KY town who elected a dog as the mayor, and is a favorite spot for motorcyclists (Bikers??) to hang out. It is a beautiful ride along the KY lowlands on the banks of the Ohio river. I keep my glock in the top case on the tank when riding. When I entered the rabbit hash constricted zone as I call it to look at my favorite 185 year old general store which burned down last Wednesday, to pay homage to the only place I could buy sarsaparilla, I was surrounded by guys covered up in prison tats.

They are mostly harmless, but I was thinking, I am seconds from my gun, not 1/2 a second.

So I feel better when I wear it, and sometimes slightly naked (Scary picture) when I don't.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:41:54 AM »
Rabbit-Hash seems like a cool place...bummer on the store fire.

We do on occasion leave rural Nebraska LoL Hence my question, I was told the other day I was nuts for not carrying in Omaha or Denver when we visit. To me it's a none issue for the most part.

I used to carry a Leatherman myself. After losing yet another one, I decided to just stick with the pliers. My wife never leaves home without her Leatherman. But she has the advantage of a purse which she does't usually lose LoL

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:57:14 AM »
Rabbit hash general store before/after...sad!

New Mayor

And someone tried once to run a cat, but we Kentuckians did not vote for change!

I like the voting...vote once, vote often... ;-))

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
I hope they do rebuild the store.... be a shame not to really. As for the mayor, given the way most elected officials run things, whats to lose?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 11:14:05 AM »
I hope they do rebuild the store.... be a shame not to really. As for the mayor, given the way most elected officials run things, whats to lose?

The dog won...Again.

I guess they don't do kats there!

One day I was sitting on that porch in front of the store drinkin' my sasparillia with the mayor laying near my feet, watching the Harleys snorting by and I got to thinkin' that this day is about perfect!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:15:17 AM »
Yes. Down here in so-cal we went to the store last night, for some reason WalMart and I hate Walmart but it was on the way home from In-n-Out burger. Parking lot was dotted with people strung out on drugs, prob heroin or meth, had to be a few dealers throughout too. Saw a couple guys mingling with them with saggy pants and wallet chains... Not homeless.
Walking through after getting out of an obvious rental car, I did really wish I was armed, so yeah I would definitely say I was uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:29:11 AM »
Our walmart is a bit boring. It's usually cluttered with fifth wheel trailers and semi's squatting for the evening. Even so, I take no chances and I just drop my wife off at the door and drive in circles the wrong way down the parking rows to see if I can catch any fake disabled people improperly parked. She despises Walmart, so rare she's in there for more than 5 minutes anyway.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
Rabbit-Hash seems like a cool place...bummer on the store fire.

We do on occasion leave rural Nebraska LoL Hence my question, I was told the other day I was nuts for not carrying in Omaha or Denver when we visit. To me it's a none issue for the most part.

I used to carry a Leatherman myself. After losing yet another one, I decided to just stick with the pliers. My wife never leaves home without her Leatherman. But she has the advantage of a purse which she does't usually lose LoL

I too have lost more than one, I finally upgraded the holster to a leather one off their site. It was like $10 delivered & fits very tight. So tight I had to actually stretch the leather a bit to get it to close & the tool still only goes in one way months later. It's chinaman leather but big upgrade from that crappy nylon unit that comes with it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:40:18 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
If I'm not comfortable with a neighborhood/area, I feel naked without a firearm. Most of the time I carry, unless I'm going out to have a few adult beverages. The big thing, for me, is to maintain situational awareness. Pay attention to what is going on around you, and if your gut tells you something's not right, listen to it. Remember, you mind is the true weapon, everything else is a tool. I am never without a good pocket knife, however.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:08 AM »
Ruger LCP, 3.5 or 5 inch straight blade (depending which belt I'm wearing) and the Leatherman all go with me everywhere.

I don't swim in public pools, but when I go tubing the LCP fits nicely in a Ziploc bag, and I wear cargo shorts so plenty of room.

Church, bank, airport, doesn't matter.  Unless I'm actually getting on the plane, I meet people at the baggage claim outside the checkpoint.  I really don't care about signs that say "no guns" or "gun free zone".  I'm not whipping it out and waving it around, and nobody's the wiser.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal