Hello Guest

Author Topic: Fort RealDawg  (Read 106767 times)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Fort RealDawg
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »
This whole shootin match had been a test of patience RN :). We sold our last house back in July.... Of 2014. So it's been a long time coming and I kid you not, we were excited when the honey bucket was dropped off because that was progress lol. Going gangbusters now, should be done by Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
Trusses going up

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 11:25:51 AM »
Looking good!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
Nice!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Really happy for you Kyle. Coming along very nicely.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Thanks fellers!
NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
Coming right along!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
Looking great Kyle.
I bet there is a lot of excitement around home as it all come together.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Looking great Kyle.

We literally go up there every day.

Today is our 2 year anniversary, and I'm going to surprise wifey with dinner in our "dining room"... So that means take-out on a folding table and chairs. Who knows maybe i'll get fancy and light a candle LoL
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
just remember that splinters don't feel good
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »
Looking great Kyle.

We literally go up there every day.

Today is our 2 year anniversary, and I'm going to surprise wifey with dinner in our "dining room"... So that means take-out on a folding table and chairs. Who knows maybe i'll get fancy and light a candle LoL

Watch the sawdust and open all the windows first.........
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:53 PM »
No windows in yet, heck there ain't even a roof over the dining room yet!

Maybe I'll grab an LED candle instead LoL
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »
Looking good Kyle. Hope it can be dried in before the rains come back for the fall/winter.

Online Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 06:38:05 PM »
Looking great.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
Dinner was a success. Asked her what she wanted to eat, and chicken strips somehow topped the list. 5 course meal courtesy of Colonel Sanders, and she was happier than a clam at high tide!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
Awesome!  Little things go a LONG way- way to go!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 11:33:55 PM »
No candle on the table? Hey, take some good photos and measurements of the block outs around the windows for attaching the curtain rods and such. If they don't install them either do it or have them put some in.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 11:43:05 PM »
That's a great idea Bob. I will look into that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 12:00:52 AM »
congratulations
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »
Cool, and a great idea!

Keep that up and you'll stay HAPPILY married your entire life!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »
Whoa, those are some serious sized windows!  I like it!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »
I've always been pretty lucky with curtain rods right at the edge of the windows since there is usually at least 3" of material there (jack and king studs). Looks like there is 4.5" on yours, so even mo' better! :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:34:35 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »
Thanks! Yeah the windows and doors are monsters. Didn't look that big on paper LoL

I get to go in after the electrical is inspected and do some low voltage wiring myself so i'm looking forward to that... going to wire in-wall speakers for the man cave/theater room, and also some in-ceiling speakers in the main living area downstairs, and in the ceiling of the patio roof. Figure might as well since it'll never get easier to do than before the drywall goes up.
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
You going to add some ethernet runs to each room? Wireless is nice, but hardwired is mucho better imo.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »
I second the ethernet comment! 
Also, do 'home runs' of your COAX back to a smart panel in a closet/garage/utility room and bring 3 or 4 lines in from the outside DMARC point so you don't have Comcast/Dish wanting to punch holes through your siding! COAX is cheap, run extras!

Run a minimum of 2 inch "smurf tube" anywhere you might want to fish wires (HDMI, COAX, etc) at a later date.

Wish I were still close, I'd help ya with all of that. Seriously considering a change of career so I can do hands-on stuff like this.
Ryan

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
Cat6 to every room yes, and stubbed for the shop. It will all come to a closet, inside a network panel, where all of the coax cable and cat6 will be split from. Will also be pre-wired for satellite, and the modem/router will be there also, with pre-wired flexibility to run DSL or Cable.

For the nerds among us who will know what this is... going to have a 4 TB NAS in the man-cave, hard wired in to the network and will be the media server for the house and every device (streaming of my whole library of movies and music to any device), with another redundant networked hard-drive inside the safe through the safe's ethernet/usb/power hub for backup of critical files and all photos.

Going to be putting the Liberty Fatboy 64 in the man-cave  ;D Cuz, well, it's fitting a fatboy get a Fatboy.

(Ryan i figured you'd chime in on this, you were one i was thinking of above as a nerd among us like me LoL)
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
and are you going to have a main control panel for all utilities?  is each wall or room going to be on its own circuit (electrical wise)?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Fort RealDawg
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »
All the low voltage will go to that one closet yes. Closet butts up to the garage so I can easily run cable later from the exterior of the house later for cameras if I find the need.

Not sure on the circuitry for each room. I doubt it.

We have 320 amp coming in from the street, and then a sub-panel will come off of that for the shop.

We are going to have gen backup wired in at the panel, on a manual throw lever switch. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:23:34 PM by Dawg25385 »
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
4 TBs should be enough for RMTWS. Just don't tell Don...he'll start taking more pics!! lol

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
Good stuff there Kyle.
Take as much advantage of the clean slate that you can.
Sounds like you've got the bases covered.
4tb huh. Should do the trick, trunk out the house as best you can even redundant runs.
Pipe the shop as well, always nice to have the option.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
Duh! How did I forget that you're a fellow nerd!?  I haven't had time to wire my house up yet (CAT5e tucked under baseboards down to my TV room), nor do I have any kind of media server (yet!).
Ryan

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. I always think I got it nailed down then, boom, forgot about "that".

NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
Cat6 to every room yes, and stubbed for the shop. It will all come to a closet, inside a network panel, where all of the coax cable and cat6 will be split from. Will also be pre-wired for satellite, and the modem/router will be there also, with pre-wired flexibility to run DSL or Cable.

For the nerds among us who will know what this is... going to have a 4 TB NAS in the man-cave, hard wired in to the network and will be the media server for the house and every device (streaming of my whole library of movies and music to any device), with another redundant networked hard-drive inside the safe through the safe's ethernet/usb/power hub for backup of critical files and all photos.

Going to be putting the Liberty Fatboy 64 in the man-cave  ;D Cuz, well, it's fitting a fatboy get a Fatboy.

(Ryan i figured you'd chime in on this, you were one i was thinking of above as a nerd among us like me LoL)

My lesson recently.  I have a 6TB (had, correction) server in mirrored raid.  It bit the dust and I just had a friend recover the data.  About 95% anyway.  I'm going to the cloud for deep storage (Amazon Glacier) and keep redundant external HDD for rapid access.  Looking at Cloudberry for the software to manage it but I have my wife on a mac, so need a different solution for her.  I'll keep rotating the external HDDs between the two homes so it's less likely that I'll suffer loss or damage.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Charles. I use Google Drive also for docs, and Google Photo for some photos... But may look into a little more secure cloud storage for the more sensitive docs

NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »
A friend of mine is Global CIO for a French trading company.  He puts all their stuff on Amazon.

Their reliability matrix is managed to a loss of 1 single file out of a million every 10,000 years.  Good enough for me.  I was all paranoid about security and he said any legitimate hacker can get to your server, not to mention theft, fire, etc.  In the cloud, you hide in plain sight.  Why would anyone find your data valuable when they can hack Ashely Madison, Anthem or others?  Not to mention their security is good enough for some large corporations to rely on.  Their AWS cloud is not cheap, but the Glacier is a much deeper storage with a long time to retrieve (hours) so the cost is waaaay cheaper.  I plan on using it as the back up to the back up.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:25 AM »
You going to add some ethernet runs to each room? Wireless is nice, but hardwired is mucho better imo.

House is sure looking good, Nice celebration.

Just run wire everywhere, cat 5/6. I have no coax to anything anymore. Plus wiring is more secure.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Kyle et al... Great topics.

Couple of questions. What Broadband are you going to have available at your site? Amazon Web Service and other Cloud options are great for backup. the challenge I have seen is the sync software that keeps everything current. Plus if you are running media server off of your 4TB NAS you will want all of that local. Uptime will have more to do with the telecom (broadband) link than AWS or the Cloud uptime.

If you put POE switches in you don't really need Coax for camera's and you wouldn't need AC power at camera sites. You might like AC plugs under the eaves of the house for Christmas lights though!  :D Cable or Direct TV even have WiFi receivers.

Also have you thought of disguising your equipment closet? Maybe even making a false door behind an actual closet? Maybe set up a decoy server / old school cheap coax / tape based security server? You can buy an old one for almost nothing, run 10 Coax cables into a wall plate and just have it powered up.

The reason I mention it is we were burglarized while living in Washington and the first thing they went for was electronics (PC/Laptops/TV) and Jewelry. I had backups but they weren't automated so I wasn't as current as I would have liked. I realize you have backup planned for inside your safe but if you had a decoy and then hidden room they would steal the junk and think they pulled the security tapes. They would also create less damage and expense if they thought they were already stealing your electronic stuff.

I have WiFi security camera's which are ok but not great. I also have DSL so I'm bandwidth challenged so most of my stuff needs to be local.

I would love to be able to wire the house from scratch!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:12:21 AM by cruizng »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
Kyle et al... Great topics.

Couple of questions. What Broadband are you going to have available at your site? Amazon Web Service and other Cloud options are great for backup. the challenge I have seen is the sync software that keeps everything current. Plus if you are running media server off of your 4TB NAS you will want all of that local. Uptime will have more to do with the telecom (broadband) link than AWS or the Cloud uptime.

Hey thanks for chiming in!

I'm going to have Comcast cable and Century Link DSL available. No FIOS or anything like that. I have to have a pretty stout broadband connection for work, so I'll get at least 20 down, but the upload speeds are what kill ya for Cloud backups. Yes, my media server will be local only... not going to host over the net. Going to be running a Plex server on top of my NAS, with Plex clients on the various devices (Roku's, iPad's, etc). [Side note: I will be able to access my Plex server from outside my home network, i.e. at a hotel or something, but have to be careful, as the ISP could view that as being a webhost, which I wouldn't be paying for] The local hardwired network will be gigabit, so lightning fast. I have a pretty nice dual band wireless system too, but very little will be on wireless. Mainly phones and ipads, and the printer, and the laptops when not docked.

If you put POE switches in you don't really need Coax for camera's and you wouldn't need AC power at camera sites. You might like AC plugs under the eaves of the house for Christmas lights though!  :D Cable or Direct TV even have WiFi receivers.

Great suggestion. We will have power in the eves for Christmas lights, but for the security cameras I would use PoE and run ethernet cable.

Also have you thought of disguising your equipment closet? Maybe even making a false door behind an actual closet? Maybe set up a decoy server / old school cheap coax / tape based security server? You can buy an old one for almost nothing, run 10 Coax cables into a wall plate and just have it powered up.

That's a good idea, although nothing really of significant value will be in the network closet. Just a modem and router. The NAS will be next to the save in a cabinet, so I may be able to hide it a little there. One HD will be inside the safe, so good luck with that Mr. Thief.

Great ideas though, thank you!
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »
Don't forget ventilation for that closet. Step dad is a Microsoft tenured project manager and my boy Sam and he pal around every other weekend building new and bigger versions of his home computer. his bedroom with all his electronics is a balmy 75 in the dead of winter with the heat off!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2015, 01:46:45 PM »
I have thought of that, and have a nice location for a vent should i need it. But with just a modem and router in the closet, should be fine. Thanks Tate!
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »
Hey thanks for chiming in!

I'm going to have Comcast cable and Century Link DSL available. No FIOS or anything like that. I have to have a pretty stout broadband connection for work, so I'll get at least 20 down, but the upload speeds are what kill ya for Cloud backups. Yes, my media server will be local only... not going to host over the net. Going to be running a Plex server on top of my NAS, with Plex clients on the various devices (Roku's, iPad's, etc). [Side note: I will be able to access my Plex server from outside my home network, i.e. at a hotel or something, but have to be careful, as the ISP could view that as being a webhost, which I wouldn't be paying for] The local hardwired network will be gigabit, so lightning fast. I have a pretty nice dual band wireless system too, but very little will be on wireless. Mainly phones and ipads, and the printer, and the laptops when not docked.

私はあなたが使用しているどの言語知らないが、それは私にはギリシャ'S

:)

Maybe this would be more appropriate:

Δεν ξέρω ποια γλώσσα που χρησιμοποιείτε ΑΛΛΑ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΕΛΛΗΝΑΣ ΝΑ ΜΟΥ
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:39:29 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »
Funny the Amazon reference....a friend of mine worked at EMC (retired a year or so ago)...he said two or three years ago they never even saw Amazon as a storage competitor...now they are eating their lunch. The cloud storage is just killing them.

Looks really great! And great idea on the dinner.  ;) Always nice to do those little things to make/keep the better half happy!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:50 AM »
I really have no idea what's being talked about in this thread past you saying you want to wire the house up for surround sound and the man cave....
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2015, 05:47:52 AM »
And I though the key word "dinner" was what attracted you to the thread....

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
I really have no idea what's being talked about in this thread past you saying you want to wire the house up for surround sound and the man cave....

For us old guys and non-techies, he's talking about that Bobby, but more simply put, when the SHTF arrives, he's got really cool paper weights and lots of cable to make snares with!  :o

I'm with ya Ken- like a trip to the Greek Isles, sounds cool, but not a clue about it all!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
FiOS - Fiber Optic Service - super fast interweb speed
NAS - networ attached storage - a computer full of hard drives for storing stuff
Plex - a streaming device for when you store all your songs and video and pictures on one device and send them to others in the house whenever you want to use them....

FUBAR - what happens when none of that stuff works...

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Fort RealDawg
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »
I would just like to point out that we in the Info Sys department do have some Acronyms but we can even carry water when it comes to the Military!!

Below are just the "A"'s!!  :o  There are many more letters in the Alphabet!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:35:10 PM by Dawg25385 »
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:08 AM »
Basically creating my own Pandora and Netflix Bobby, on my own server. Solvin first world problems LoL

NRA Life Member

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »
^^^ Didn't use up any storage space with that :o  ;)

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »

FiOS - Fiber Optic Service - super fast interweb speed
NAS - networ attached storage - a computer full of hard drives for storing stuff
Plex - a streaming device for when you store all your songs and video and pictures on one device and send them to others in the house whenever you want to use them....

FUBAR - what happens when none of that stuff works...

Especially that last one!!

NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal