Hello Guest

Author Topic: Earth quake, big one coming for the west coast  (Read 2037 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Earth quake, big one coming for the west coast
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
Nate, I was reading this when you called. They discuss OR & WA specifically, thought I should post it up....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-20/shaking-continues-most-dangerous-volcano-mexico-has-erupted-spectacular-fashion
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Earth quake, big one coming for the west coast
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »
Having lived most of my life between Long Beach and Silicon Valley, I can tell you that the "big one" is always just about to happen.

Whittier, North Ridge and the World Series (Lorna Prieta) earthquakes were probably the most memorable for me.

I sleep through anything below a 5.0, and don't get out of bed until it reaches 6.0

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
Well next full & new moon are April 22 & May 6 respectfully. So I guess we'll see

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
That's really something...I would have thought the volcano eruption would lessen the liklihood of other quakes...sort of like a relief valve going to let of pressure in the system. Thanks for sharing that! Stay safe out there!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:29:18 PM »
There was a big hubbub about it awhile back, that we're long overdue for a huge quake in WA... Apparently native oral tradition is the only documentation of the last one, and if it happens again would be one of the worst natural disasters ever, anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 07:31:05 AM »
I myself have been kinda watching some of the recent activity and thinking......if I lived on the west coast I'd be feeling a bit nervous possibly.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
Yeah... But they've been saying Rainier is gonna blow too for as long as I've been alive.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
I did read another article earlier today & this "expert" claims none of these recent seismic / volcanic episodes are connected so who knows.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
Any nobody expected Mt. St. Hellens to blow either, and I remember the ash on cars in Norther Illinois during that time
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline fenriswolf039

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
nobody expected Mt. St. Hellens to blow either

I was traveling with my family in an RV, I was eight years old.  We were camping about 120 miles away when it literally just exploded.  The shockwave hit us and my dad got on the CB radio to ask if anybody knew what was going on.  The NOAA weather radio channels started sounding an emergency alert and that was when we realized that there was this huge cloud of ash rising up into the sky behind us.

For the first few minutes, everybody in the campground thought it was a nuclear bomb going off.  Over the next few hours, the forest rangers came around and asked everybody to pack it up and move south away from the blast area.  We were getting covered in ash, and it got so thick for a while, the engine had trouble.  My dad had to clean out the air filter several times on the journey towards home.

It's one of those things you never forget.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »
Cool story

OldKooT

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
What makes his story even cooler for me, is I could absolutely nod my head and declare it a small world. In 1980 we were camped close enough to have to flee as well. I won't clutter the forum with the story other than to say that was the best family vacation ever. I learned a lot about life that Sunday/Mon and I learned a lot about my Father. I also learned a Deep respect for one tough SOB Eldorado RV with a 440, that still amazes me it survived for the most part.

Dads gone, that RV is long gone, but the memories, the lessons, the experience, is still vivid for me. What is odd, and i intend to change today....I am not sure my kids have ever heard the entire story of those two days.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 03:44:05 PM »
What makes his story even cooler for me, is I could absolutely nod my head and declare it a small world. In 1980 we were camped close enough to have to flee as well. I won't clutter the forum with the story other than to say that was the best family vacation ever. I learned a lot about life that Sunday/Mon and I learned a lot about my Father. I also learned a Deep respect for one tough SOB Eldorado RV with a 440, that still amazes me it survived for the most part.

Dads gone, that RV is long gone, but the memories, the lessons, the experience, is still vivid for me. What is odd, and i intend to change today....I am not sure my kids have ever heard the entire story of those two days.

Well, after you share it thoroughly with them, put it down on a thread here, for posterity and group learning/knowledge would ya?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
I second that, it's worth writing about.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »
Well, I am close to where this all might happen and it won't be my first rodeo.

We lived in Orange during the 1991 quake. Bed danced around the floor and I watched all my hanging models put on an airshow. No damage in my area but you know the rest.

I was in L.A. during the Loma P earthquake coming back form fishing in Mexico. Saw the TV and didn't think much about it until they said all the airports were closed in the bay area. In fact I had just been through good tremor in Oakland about a week earlier where my brother worked as a truck driver. I later learned that big fire on the 880 was my brothers truck. Won't get into details but when they finally got the body out for ID it was by dental records.

I am about 50 miles off the coast and there are a couple faults here. Guess we will see but looks like the first "time" is past.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline halsey

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 08:57:26 PM »

Oakland was my home for 30 years or so. I remember that quake and fire. I was on a dock  on the Oakland Estuary at a friends boat. Strange thing having the docks and pilings moving all over but no waves or wakes. And any number of smaller quakes over the years that would sure get your attention.

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »
We were supposed to have the end of the world a few weeks ago. Warren Jeffs to in jail predicted a big earthquake and it would set him free then he could save his people. 

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »
Very few lived around St. Helens, and the carnage was mainly from the lahar flow down the Toutle River. The steam blast killed a whole lot of old growth timber, but few people. Rainier would be a whole 'nother ball of wax. Tons of communities in the Puyallup/Carbon River valley... And that quake? I really don't even want to think about it other than to have preps ready, as for any disaster

NRA Life Member

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Very few lived around St. Helens, and the carnage was mainly from the lahar flow down the Toutle River. The steam blast killed a whole lot of old growth timber, but few people.

And the ash blew to the North East instead of North Westerly, which caused many problems and lots of money to take care of. Nothing like what it would have caused if the wind had blown the ash into the Tacoma/Seattle area but a real mess just the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal