Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build Part 5  (Read 51758 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build Part 5
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2018, 02:41:44 PM »
And in the opening, the tool is placed which locks securely against the flywheel allowing me to apply backwards uber-torque to that harmonic balancer bolt.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
I did all that, and was rewarded with a very hefty harmonic balancer and sizeable nut

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
...Which I painted in my fav underhood/chassis component paint color

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
So you think removing the water pump is almost done and just a quick couple of bolts???

Why were you thinkin' that

This is a Duramax where the reasonable guy was not invited and engineers were left to have their way with things. Nossir, you still have to work with bolts which are masked by steel lines and two very sinister aft facing water neck nuts which I could only get to with a 30" combination of extensions and a 13mm deep well.

I really have no clue about how to get that inside nut reinstalled!

Oh and you first have to remove some guard and a wiring bundle loom before getting to any of that.

Here's what you face before starting:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
Even this a photo of the water pump, none of the fasteners you need to remove are actually visible!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
I needed a small victory, so I just removed the small ball mount for the cable bundle to the fan clutch and transfered it to the new pump. That was the last press of the "That was easy button" I got during the H2O replacement ordeal

I carefully chose the word "Ordeal" because it is much, much more than just a job.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
But, just like when you just kept going after that "one" girl who is now your wife, in the end, perseverance will trump stubbornness!

Here I have double nutted the stud for removal from the "old" pump

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
And with blue locktite, reinstalled it onto the new pump

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »
I then took the riser pipe "O" ring and sprayed some sticky stuff on it and tapped it into the groove so that it would remain intact during the installation process

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
The large O-ring was slipped onto the housing, the gear and flange lubed, and it was ready for reassembly

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2018, 02:59:57 PM »
Now fitting the H2O pump back into place is not a slam dunk either. You must carefully align the aft facing strud into their opposing holes in the water stand pipe, all the while trying to align the main housing into the big hole in the block, while fighting the natural tendency for the thing to never fit in the first place.

IT took me a half dozen attempts, but just like the stubborn CP3 pump, on one such attempt it just slipped in like it was made to fit there. I bolted that sucker up in a fast second before fate would have the chance to change things up on me.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »
I did some more reassembly of loose components and stuck in the oil fill neck before the crappy HF LED light quit. (It always quits around sunset! No kidding, it really does!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2018, 03:03:39 PM »
With swollen knee and failing daylight, I removed the heat wrap from the old down-pipe, laundered it, then placed it onto the new down-pipe

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
I found a bunch of scale rust beneath the old wrap, which had me wondering if that was such a good idea in the first place???

Now this time, I am adding additional shielding, in the form of a heat blanket which will cover the length of the down-pipe, and even some of the first part of the exhaust system.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2018, 03:08:11 PM »
I have used this material before, finding it to be outstanding in preventing heat from migrating into adjacent structure/parts.

I did check the clamps for proper V-band clearance...Its all good!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
So, now the Down pipe is prepped and ready for reinstallation. I may clamp the tail onto the exhaust system, or just cut it off, I'll wait to evaluate when I get there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2018, 03:16:00 PM »
I went to make the final electrical connection to the CP3 pump only to discover the harness it too short!

So I'll have to cut and lengthen the harness to complete the CP3 installation, but other than that, that big job is done minus reassembly.

Now reassembly is going to be a sorted affair. I could drop in the new turbo and get right on it, however, I really first need the up pipes, which aren't here, and haven't even been shipped yet. So, I'll get in and remove the remaining manifold, do all the turbo prep work, and just get ready, but basically be in a pause until I get the parts.

In the meantime, and in the spirit of my usual oil changes, I'll pull/paint/rotate the tires, pull/paint the shocks which picked up a bit of corrosion, and wash/degrease/and paint the chassis like I normally would following a Kentucky winter (6" snowfall/8" salt application)

I already started pulling the shocks and wheels...

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »
Decent progress, wondering why I saw BIG CM parts in the pics.

Glad these pumps don't have a habit of going. Does not look like a side of the road fix like my other vehicles.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
Don. Refresh my memory on why you decided to replace the pump?

Also Ken may chime in here but I’ve heard that the O ring for the tube on the pump has created problems for some as it can roll out of position as you are reinserting it. I would have told you to make sure and lube the inner surface of the O ring and the mating surface of the pipe but since they are already back together.....I may get reprimanded for failing to tell you sooner. 

Also sir, I see your safety snap ring is not correctly installed on your fumoto valve. I would think a helo pilot would like to have safety retention devices installed.  With all the stuff you run over you don’t need the valve to inadvertently get opened.

Other than that it’s looking like you are making good progress. 

CM sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »
Whats the issue with the valve? Mine is the same way cept the tube.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
Yeah that oring likes to roll and leak. After the first time I had that happen we started siliconing them, which makes them a little more slippery.
We also silicone the steel gasket on the pipe coming out of the back, and never reuse the old one... I mention this because I didn't see that part of the installation above.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
Yeah that oring likes to roll and leak. After the first time I had that happen we started siliconing them, which makes them a little more slippery.
We also silicone the steel gasket on the pipe coming out of the back, and never reuse the old one... I mention this because I didn't see that part of the installation above.

On the Fumoto valve, I'll look at it, it has been that way since 2011, so at least we know that an improper installation will still work even when the truck has literally been off road in primitive conditions literally hundreds of times

On the O ring on the top. I didn't have any new ones, so I reused the old one. I sprayed it with spray adhesive with it sitting on a piece of cardboard, then using needlenose placed it into the groove, then pushed it into place with a flat tip screwdriver.

On the gasket that is attached to the standpipe on the rear outlet of the H2O pump, I did reuse the original. It was like stuck to the stand pipe and looked, well, new. I only wiped it down prior to finagling the pump into place. The gasket is captured immediately because of the two studs. The top O ring wasn't going anywhere because of the adhesive. I watched for any movement as I pushed down and rolled the water pipe onto the surface. It fell into good alignment, then I reattached the bolts.

The new Delco water pump came with no gaskets, no O rings, nada. I would have thought the thing would at least have had the O-rings and have studs installed, but it seems even ACDelco has gone cheap on us.

Having heard what Ken says here, I am a bit nervous now, because the thought of a teardown after reassembly is not something I would like to do again, but I am at a bit of a loss. I called around and the lower hose and the AC Delco pump were both special order items and a few days out. Honestly, I think one could take enough precautions that he would not see the use of his trucks for a month or more. Using the risk/reward matrix way of thinking, this thing reaches the point where I feel I need to reassemble it to see where I am. With some good fortune, I will be done. If I am wrong, well, I would be waiting anyway.

But it's not that two dimensional really. You see you start off with one condition understood, But then along the way things happen. Like the snapped off bolt on day three. If I would have known that was going to happen, I would have ordered the pump and hose from the O'Reillys and that would have been that. The time it would take to come in would have been covered. But starting off, I had no expectation anything like that would happen.

And then there's the gallery aspect. People will give you all manner of advice...AFTER the fact. It has happened a couple of times on this thread alone. (After I took the advice and ordered the ACDelco pump, I find out that there are several grades, and I didn't even get the OEM quality...!)

Not to take a shot at any of you, because I know you all care, but often it seems, the "You should have used the one with the purple stripe" comment comes the day after you did it, and then buried that work with a bunch of other work. That sort of advice to me is not useful, except to give me a place to go if a problem arises. So if I have a H2O leak, now at least I have somewhere to start looking, but other than that, the work is already done and the parts I didn't know about aren't available here quickly, and are likely three days away, and I don't have a way to get them anyway if its raining.

So what's done is done. Although you all are free to offer whatever advice you wish to offer, and I appreciate it, for the reasons I stated, which are clear to me, I can't follow along.

I said it before...Timing! Timing is important...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2018, 09:10:16 PM »
Don. Refresh my memory on why you decided to replace the pump?

Also Ken may chime in here but I’ve heard that the O ring for the tube on the pump has created problems for some as it can roll out of position as you are reinserting it. I would have told you to make sure and lube the inner surface of the O ring and the mating surface of the pipe but since they are already back together.....I may get reprimanded for failing to tell you sooner. 

Also sir, I see your safety snap ring is not correctly installed on your fumoto valve. I would think a helo pilot would like to have safety retention devices installed.  With all the stuff you run over you don’t need the valve to inadvertently get opened.

Other than that it’s looking like you are making good progress. 

CM sir.

I believe, after talking with some mechanics at a local diesel performance shop, and two other diesel performance shops that the CP4.2 is unreliable. I believe it has the potential of failing and causing damage which would exceed my monetary ability to repair it.
This was an act of insurance to gurantee as much as is possible a lifetime of service from this truck. With the costs increasing into the stratosphere for new vehicles, and the fact that a several thousand dollars of that cost are for pollution controls which actually contribute to the failure of the powerplant, I will not be purchasing a new diesel again, I think.

So this truck will likely serve me the rest of my natural life in some diminished capacity and with it being paid for, it is a high payoff vehicle to me.

The VVT turbo is a problem with these trucks as well. Oil suction into the intake and other factors seem to contribute to the failure of these things. Going old schol seems to be the correct answer to me. I'd rather go away from technology than to try and embrace it. Thinking about it, everything that has been electronically enhanced or over engineered is what drives the cost up, and also adds to the failure rate of these tech heavy trucks.

For me: NO THANK YOU. A CP3 pump, feeding a well designed old school turbo that is now easy to remove is the answer. I will have nearly double the Horsepower of a stock truck, probably 20% better economy (with 4.56 gears) and greater reliability.

I checked before doing this. My cost here in the tuck was a tad over $5,000 to replace the pump. If it failed, and caused the failure of the injectors (Common) add another $7K to that figure!!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Sorry sir, for I feel that, once again, I have let our illustrious leader down.

But hey I’ll try to be more proactive. When you get ready to fire it up for the first time, make sure you remove the shop towel from the turbo inlet first.....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »
I tell ya what don, if someone else has to follow this process they will have all the info needed.  That was my understanding of the build thread, use the knowledge you have, gain new stuff others contribute, others better the process as other follow the original. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
Sorry sir, for I feel that, once again, I have let our illustrious leader down.

But hey I’ll try to be more proactive. When you get ready to fire it up for the first time, make sure you remove the shop towel from the turbo inlet first.....

No-

You're good, no harm

Same with Ken. You two are good hearted and well intentioned.

I am just making a "Point of order" addressing the timing of some of the advice.

Just because it didn't help me, it may (will) still help others who will use this thread as a reference when they do their conversion

Tex, take a look at the D-Max thread where I remove the EGR. There is almost always someone logged on there, no doubt, learning how to d it. Same-same here

You're good.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »
I tell ya what don, if someone else has to follow this process they will have all the info needed.  That was my understanding of the build thread, use the knowledge you have, gain new stuff others contribute, others better the process as other follow the original. 

To that: A-Men!

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »
Mine has been on since almost new. Never an issue and I keep a vacuum cap over it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2018, 09:25:26 PM »
Mine has been on since almost new. Never an issue and I keep a vacuum cap over it.
That hose is just for draining, and does not retain any engine lube. That is the job of the deeply detented valve lever.
The only reason I keep that covered is that I was getting a higher silica reading from some oil analysis reports which they/I traced to a bit of dirt getting into the sample from the draining process.

A vacuum cap seems smarter, think I'll switch!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:26:09 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
Mine has the exact hose as Dons, so much less mess.  Just stick the hose in the 2gallon washer fluid jug fill it up, grab the next and done.   No more catch pan.   I use a bolt in the end of my cleAr hose with a small stainless clamp

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »
Mine has the exact hose as Dons, so much less mess.  Just stick the hose in the 2gallon washer fluid jug fill it up, grab the next and done.   No more catch pan.   I use a bolt in the end of my cleAr hose with a small stainless clamp

I like the hose idea but will keep the cap.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »
Don, if you need to run to the parts shop the next few days during the rain, I can probably give you a ride. (At least this advice/offer was preemptive).   :wink:

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »
I have learned a great deal from this thread. Mainly, that I don’t want a LML.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:08 AM »

X2  :beercheers:  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2018, 12:43:36 AM »
Wait, did the boss imply that he would take advice before doing something? I must ponder this fantasy for a moment.  #unemployedagain

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »
:popcorn

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2018, 07:44:15 AM »
Wait, did the boss imply that he would take advice before doing something? I must ponder this fantasy for a moment.  #unemployedagain

Yea, you're fired

For giving me post action advice, and for inferrin' and stirrin' up stuff!

Repentance needs to be your way, my son...

So to earn your conditional re-hiring (Man I like firing people!) your question is:

Kenneth, do you think I can get away with the reuse of the factory gasket on the oil cooler supply pie? It seems to be a thick rubber gasket with a raised O ring seal about the center. It looked like new and was stuck to the oil cooler pipe...

And for now on, you people start keeping a track of how many times you get fired for these heinous crimes! Remind me the next time you do something dumb, so I'll know how much to fire you that time...OK?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:01:05 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »

Yea, can appreciate that setiment. But the Powerstrokes have faulty fuel pumps as well, and the Dodges suffer from their own particuliar issues. Nobody gets to walk for free.

Having thought it over, try and find a used one for cheap. THen address the issues you know of through the experience of others and address those like i am doing here. Then afterward, you have a 700,000 mile truck. So you drive an exceassive 30K a year, you have over 23 years of use. So you drive it for 10 years as your primary transportation, then use it only to pull the camper, get heavy things and once in awhile with the kids. Send it off to college with a kid or two, then bring it home for the rest of your life.

That is what we are talking about with these trucks, industrial/commercial equipment. I'd spend money (As I have) spraying preservative and rust preventer was/cosmoline/grease/whatever into the body cavities, so that the body has a chance of lasting as long as the mechanical portion of the truck will.

I wouldn't buy these trucks with my sights on trading once every 6-7 years. Because you haven't yet begun to experience the benefits of operating a paid off vehicle. Nossir, in 8-10 years buy yourself a little diesel colorado or Jeep and drive that for fun, but knowing the diesel 3/4-1 ton always has your back.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
I have not done an lml Don. ..but Lmm and back to lb7s just had a coated steel gasket and they aren't reusable. If it had some type of rubber seal, then it's different.
We all have the same kind of luck (Murphy). I would probably order a new cooler gasket and orings for the top tube.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:33:50 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
I have not done an lml Don. ..but Lmm and back to lb7s just had a coated steel gasket and they aren't reusable. If it had some type of rubber seal, then it's different.
We all have the same kind of luck (Murphy). I would probably order a new cooler gasket and orings for the top tube.

Well, Ken, after considering your advice and weighing your experience, I decided to pull the H2O pump back off and gasket it up.

But later on in the day, I was poking around on the exhaust manifold and just happened to notice the water neck to oil cooler gasket laying on the garage floor next to a jack stand...Yea.

Had I not decided to pull that pump and just do what you advised, I would have been pulling all that crap back off the front of the motor anyway.

So good call all around!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
Today was just tough!

I decided to pull the drivers side manifold off the truck to get ready for the new manifolds which got shipped today.

I think I worked most of the time I had to spend on the project just getting the bolts off that manifold. It is just one miserable job, no fun at all.

Look at what you have to work around...Notice that you can't really even see the thing, let alone the bolts on the underside:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2018, 09:58:23 PM »
So just like on the other side, I had to pull the shock, then drill a 1.25" hole in the shock tower to have any hope of getting a socket onto one of the bolts. Then I had to pull part of the steering column to gain some access to the front. Then taking it off, I almost had to pull the block adapter and oil lines for the Amsoil bypass oil filter assembly, but because everything is loose up on top, I was able to yank, turn, wiggle, and everything else imaginable to finally get the manifold out.

I just hate this part of the job!

At one point I had to create this tool, by taking an old hex socket, cutting off an eight mm allen wrench and hammering it tinto the socket. THere is no other way to get to the bolt under #3 cylinder back, even when using the hole I created in the shock tower.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
Just look at the lack of clearance from behind:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »
And with the manifold loose, you can see there is no way it is going forward or up with the steering shaft connected.

It seems that to do this job (if you have to pull a manifold), you are going to touch nearly everything on the front end of the truck.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:34 PM »
And then just to prove that nothing is fair, I went to pull the frozen stud out and it came out fairly easy with no damage to the manifold!

So, if anyone wants some LML Pro-Fab High-flow manifolds and 2" up-pipes, I now have them, ready to ship $400.

That's what I am getting for them  in trade, so before I send them back, they will be available.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2018, 10:08:10 PM »
While I had them out, I cleaned up, sanded, and painted the front shocks. Funny how clear coated stainless will rust like they did this past winter.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2018, 10:09:47 PM »
I will be painting the wheels and a few other things as well to recover from winter and stay ahead of corrosion.

Old color/new color:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
I applied two more coats of paint, and after tacking up, this is what they were looking like:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
The color is International Harvester tractor gray, which is very close to the Lycoming gray I favor for chassis stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal