Hello Guest

Author Topic: What am I in for?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
What am I in for?
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:21 PM »
For all the learned menses of the Suspension persuasion, with my 2012 LML (2500 4x4 Crew Cab) broaching the 95,000 mark what am I looking at needing to replace and recommendations for specific brands/components?  I know I'm due for shocks AND I've just developed some caster pulse (any idea as to the cause?) in the front end when braking.  I'm pretty certain it's not warped rotors, as the front brakes were done within last 10,000 miles and it only does it at speeds above 50mph.

I recall recently, someone (RN I think) posting up an entire wheel bearing assembly and something to the effect of it being more cost/time efficient to do it all at once, so recommendations of that sort are more than welcomed.

Many thanks in advance

2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: What am I in for?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
Honestly wouldn't change anything without checking it first. 95k...mostly highway? 

oh....what's "caster pulse"?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
Front wheels trying to flop left/right (mostly felt from left) as I brake at highway speeds - like those one bad wheels on shopping carts!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »
Warped rotor.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
Doesn't do it if I baby into brakes, but hard, sudden and it does it - any chance it's one of the idler joints or tie rod ends?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »
Possible, movement in the steering is lessening the feel at lighter brake application, but more likely the floating caliper is able to absorb the movement with less pressure applied. with your mileage though, it's very likely that you ALSO have worn front end components, but I'm sticking with Ken on this. Get a dial caliper and check for runout.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
Yeah, if there's play, in say the idler, the warped rotor will be amplified at speed, causing the tires to walk....or as you put it, caster pulse.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:05:50 PM »
I'll bet dimes to donuts the idler is bad.  Not from symptoms, mind you just because they are a weak spot on these trucks.  Highly recommend the Deathgrip Idler and XD Idler arm along with the weld in brace.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
Ken wins the contest- warped rotors...front....gotta replace all 4, as the rears are rusted on the backsides too bad to turn......I guess the turbo brake usage without towing might have added to that happening........I really like the turbo brake though......the pads are still in great shape though.  Darn rotors are pricy!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal