Hello Guest

Author Topic: My Bug Out Trailer  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
My Bug Out Trailer
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
Well it is actually a  dump trailer. It is 6ft. wide X 12 ft. long inside with 2 ft. sides. I have two sets of sideboards for it, one set adds 18 inches high and the other 4 ft. That way I can have different side heights depending on my needs.
 If needed I can throw stuff inside and be hooked up and gone in very little time.  With a roll out tarp for the top and a couple blue/tan tarps for the sides it can be used to stay dry and out of the wind. The important part is not to use a trailer for a garbage collection site. I guess if it dumps not so bad but if you need to unload it before you can use it to carry what you need to survive you are wasting a lot of precious time.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:28:52 AM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: My Bug Out Trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:13:05 PM »
Depending on the need to be bugging out, and the time available I also have a 34ft. RV pull trailer which is usually stocked with food (except fresh meats, and veggies) , water, clothes, and other supplies for a couple weeks stay away from home. Here in Western Washington we need to be prepared for earth quakes too so it doubles up just fine for both.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
I only live a few miles from Puget Sound, my boat could be used to bug out if needed. Getting off this peninsula could be a problem by road, but I could hook up the boat trailer, throw a few things in the boat and off I would go to the boat ramp. Meals would have to be the freeze dried stuff used when hiking/hunting or I guess a few clams, oysters, crabs, fish, and wildlife next to the shore could be eaten as well.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
Bug-out via water- an avenue I'd not considered.  Without owning a vessel difficult, but clearly an option to consider and/or plan as an alternative option.  Being near the Great Lakes make it a viable alternative, traveling upon your water supply and a source of food at the same time!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:13 AM »
I have a 24ft TH that is stocked quite well, cept for the fresh stuff.

Meat could be on the run as veggies and fruit I have built up well in cans right now.

It has 150gal water and I have about ten 30 gal and a 55 gal drum that can be filled fast, plus a pool if at home.

I am working on several coolers now with 1 month food in each. Easy to move and separate for stash reasons. Lots of cans, noodles and freeze dried. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
I do have a travel trailer than I could always tow with the truck, but if for some reason that wouldn't work out, I wonder if something like this would be worth a darn? Stumbled across it when I was searching for wheels for the 5x8 utility trailer I just built.

http://www.tealinternational.com/TailFeather/Model8-0.html

It says a turn-key kit is $8300 though, yikes! I wonder if someone could come up with something similar for less?

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
Wow, that is a big price for something that takes most of the storage space when it is taken down for travel. I see the advantage of a utility trailer being storage for stuff you feel you need to get by. Neighbor had a hard sided tent type trailer, problem was most of the stuff had to come out of it to be folded down for travel.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
The site says you can leave it set up permanently....even goes as far to say it makes a great "toy hauler". I dunno, I'd think you'd want the thing strapped down pretty good if you were going to hit the highway towing that lightweight wind catcher.

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
I should have read closer before I posted. I think I would want more reviews and be able to give it a good looking over before I spent that much for one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal