Hello Guest

Author Topic: Power Wagon winch on a standard 2500 Ram  (Read 2974 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Power Wagon winch on a standard 2500 Ram
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:35:38 PM »
I’m not a big fan of bumpers that stick out 3ft in front or behind a truck and I really liked the current factory Power Wagon setups how they tuck the it up inside the frame rails.

What I was not a fan of is how much Dodge wants for the parts for that setup, insanely stupid expensive!  My guess is they want you to buy the truck and not the parts for the truck.

Warn builds this for Dodge per Dodge’s requirements/specs, the winch is a M12 that is totally different than the standard M12000, its 180 opposite in how it runs because Dodge needs a top spool feed with the drive motor on the left side of the unit.

I have been watching Craigslist and I bought a Warn M12000, I got an extremely good deal, the real issue is the mounting hardware for the winch list price from Dodge just for that hardware is over $750.  So again one showed up on craigslist for next to nothing and now I have all the hard parts.

So the issue is if you are going to run the standard M12000 winch you have to flip the winch so that it feeds from the top, with these planetary type winches it does not matter about the orientation the only requirement I see from Warn is the mounting feet have to be forward.  When you do this the free spool handle is now on the bottom so all you have to do is reclock the housing and problem solved, now that I have everything test fit I have to get some hardware and make the power cables hopefully it will be finished next week.

The first picture shows the standard M12000 winch flipped in the mount, the second picture show how the mount bolts in the truck and the third picture shows the free spool handle reclocked.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Power Wagon winch on a standard 2500 Ram
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
That's a nice setup. 
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:35:30 PM »
Interesting that the feet point forward, I don’t ever recall seeing a warn winch mounted like that.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:44:18 PM »
Pretty sure that's how Kay's was mounted. The foot forward thing... guess I could look, the kid still owns it. It's not enough winch/battery for that truck if stuck in mud....otherwise its not shabby. Cool ya found the OEM hardware to mount that....should make it rather simple.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »
Interesting that the feet point forward, I don’t ever recall seeing a warn winch mounted like that.

Seems that  Warn wants all the winches m12 and above To be mounted like this.  Or ideally mounted like this.   

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
Pretty sure that's how Kay's was mounted. The foot forward thing... guess I could look, the kid still owns it. It's not enough winch/battery for that truck if stuck in mud....otherwise its not shabby. Cool ya found the OEM hardware to mount that....should make it rather simple.

I would of never mounted a winch on this truck if I hadn’t found the factory setup.  I bought the winch to put on my car trailer but then the mount showed up so why not.  And this will only work on Gas powered Rams, the intercooler is in the way on the diesels.  You are 100% correct it won’t help much if you are really stuck but something is better than nothing.  Don’t mind this truck other than the horrible fuel mileage. 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »
Also interesting note on the factory Power Wagons.  You can order the standard Tradesman crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4 HEMI and then select the Power Wagon package and get all the power wagon specific parts for about 10-15k less than the TRN I don’t like to roll down windows or get out of my truck if the driveway is wet version.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
Also interesting note on the factory Power Wagons.  You can order the standard Tradesman crew cab 4x4 with the 6.4 HEMI and then select the Power Wagon package and get all the power wagon specific parts for about 10-15k less than the TRN I don’t like to roll down windows or get out of my truck if the driveway is wet version.

You got me crying over here Phil!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:39:40 PM »
Come on Kooter, you know if a guy has enough snatch blocks he can pull (break) anything!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
Harsh, Phil. Harsh.

I’m offended. Do I need to go stab a pig to prove I can roll with the real men?

Remember. Just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should. 

#snowflakefeelingshurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 10:33:59 PM »
Didn't you call FEMA and have a D8 cat brought to your property because one of your sprinkler heads broke and dirt washed out on your driveway??   Or am I mistaken?

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:43 AM »
Didn't you call FEMA and have a D8 cat brought to your property because one of your sprinkler heads broke and dirt washed out on your driveway??   Or am I mistaken?

Oh, snap!  :popcorn:

BTW, nice find on the winch mounting parts!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 05:57:24 AM »
Phil, how's that new drinking water tax gonna work out for you?  What's next?  A breathing tax?  ;-)

In any event that set up looks like it's nice and neat.  I'm not a huge fan of overly large bumpers either.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:06:44 AM »
Ken the snatch block solution works to a degree. But there isn't much cable on those M12, and if your 50' from an anchor....your screwed LoL  BTDT a few times.

I have often considered buying a standard cab Power Wagon for my daily....but those 6.4L trucks are hell on fuel and in all honesty I just prefer old trucks.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »
Phil, how's that new drinking water tax gonna work out for you?  What's next?  A breathing tax?  ;-)

In any event that set up looks like it's nice and neat.  I'm not a huge fan of overly large bumpers either.

it is not a tax on drinking water its a tax on RAIN WATER because we all know that rain is caused by climate change, so it must be taxed.  Air is on the ballet for next year, we all know its a privilege to breath!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »
Phil,

I'm not sure that you're paid up enough on your taxes to comment here as it is well known that the regulations that regulate the regulations have not yet been regulated, requiring additional regulations.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »
Phil,

I'm not sure that you're paid up enough on your taxes to comment here as it is well known that the regulations that regulate the regulations have not yet been regulated, requiring additional regulations.

coming from the guy who lives in 1 of 3 counties there in WA that voted to illegally take money from vehicle registrations to pay for that stupid train that crashed on its inaugural run.  tater, you can keep those vehicle registrations prices that increased 300%....lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
Phil,

coming from the guy who lives in 1 of 3 counties there in WA that voted to illegally take money from vehicle registrations to pay for that stupid train that crashed on its inaugural run.  tater, you can keep those vehicle registrations prices that increased 300%....lol

Island country brah. Homey don't play dat tax game.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
Phil,

Island country brah. Homey don't play dat tax game.

lucky fart....HAHAHAHAHAHA

I feel sorry for kyle, and I am not sure if bob is in one of those 3 counties.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
Ok, so i got all the nuts and bolts along with 3/0 wire for making the power connections, the mounting was straight forward.  I assembled the mount with the winch and left the frame brackets loose. I then used a floor jack to position the mount between the rails.  Inserted the bolts snugged everything down. 

Even with the amount of adjustment I needed to use washers(1ea) on each side to shim between the winch brackets and frame I will make some better ones to in stall at a later date.

I also scored some factory tow hooks so I threw those on also.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »
After the winch was all secure I reinstalled the solenoid pack, this is the only area I will have to address at some point as you can see its not in a good area to attach the controller the PS cooler interferes but I was still able to install the the controller plug.  Im hoping Warn sells just the socket so that I can relocate the plug, the Dodge mount has a spot for it so I just need to find the part.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »
Looking pretty slick there Phil. Can’t wait to see the bumper back on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 08:43:50 PM »
Side view and the battery cables up to the battery, I did not install a CB for the power cable I might and I might also install a QD for both cables.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
And with the bumper back on

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »
So this is why you cant install the Power wagon Setup in the Diesel trucks I took a picture of the setup in my 06 the AC condenser and the IC are smack in the middle of the way, looking at it seems like the radiator would also give problems, you would have to run a external unit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal