Hello Guest

Author Topic: Looking at a bush hog  (Read 1177 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking at a bush hog
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:22 PM »
I think I need a new rotary cutter

Right now I am thinking about the Bush-Hog brand

It is the original rotary cutter, and from what I can see, it is about the stoutest unit made

I think I'll stay with the 6 foot model. Bush hog makes a 10 series which is a light duty unit. That would be a no-go for me based on my history with the stuff.

There is a BH320 which is a heavy duty unit that cuts up to 4" trees. It is very costly and at the moment I am very cost conscious.

In the middle is the BH20 series, or the BH26 for the 6 footer. Has a 130HP gearbox and really heavy steel. I think it weighs over 1000 lbs! Has a good warranty and for me is $3100 out the door.

Anyone have any knowledge of the product, or a better cutter? My J Deere was junk and costs a lot more than the Bush-Hog brand
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at a bush hog
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 11:17:56 PM »
Don,
Growing up on a farm in Iowa, we had a 12' Bush Hog brand shredder.  My dad used either a 100 hp or a 120 hp tractor and anything he could push over it would cut or bend including steel posts.
Go with the most heavy duty  unit they have as you are not cutting grass you are clearing land.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 12:15:39 AM »
I beat a kelly to death & then rebuilt it & beat it some more. They however are no longer in business but were head quartered in Nappanee In. Which relatively speaking is not too far from you. So maybe a used unit would be a good option, bush hog is a great product but I'm cheap so kelly it was....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:44:24 AM »
well lets be real shawn, you owned a metal shop that created some massively stout pieces of metal machinery!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Get a Woods brand. Had a Bush Hog. It was pretty good. Traded for a Woods and now we are on our second one. Only traded the first Woods because we found one with solid rubber tires. No more flats. It also has spring suspension no more banging around on rough ground and it has chain instead of a rubber apron around it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
well lets be real shawn, you owned a metal shop that created some massively stout pieces of metal machinery!

Nate, this may be true but the top of the deck & the gear box etc were original to it until I sold it. After wrecking the sides, back & knocking the rear tire off a couple times I rebuilt those sections. Anyone of you with a welder & grinder who knows how to use it could do the same. I think even Ken is capable of such things so it can't be that hard.....

JK Ken..... ;D
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »
:P
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal