Hello Guest

Author Topic: VFW American Legion  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
VFW American Legion
« on: August 26, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »
I know a lot of guys on here were in or are still members of the military. I never see anything about you being members of VFW or American Legion. (Unless I missed it. That is very possible.)Many posts are consolidating because so many member are elderly and dieing off. I think that's sad. Can't stop them from dieing but there are no new members.
I grew up attending many VFW/American Legion events with my grandparents. I do remember as a kid in the 70s some VFW post didnt allow Vietnam vets in. Police action. Not a war. Eventually they came around and let them in.
I do know a few Desert Storm and one guy that served in Somalia that joined up. It just seems like the next generation is not interested.
 I have a great deal of respect for our military men and women. I regret not joining the service. There's nothing I can do about that now except encurage thoes of you who did join the VFW or the Legion. After all when the old guys are gone who is going to carry the flag in parades? Who is going to begin the color guard at your funeral?

This is my grandpa

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VFW American Legion
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
Well, I'm a veteran of a bunch of foreign wars, so I guess I qualify

I have gone to several and it's just not for me

More the bar stool crowd and unhealthy lifestyles from my experiences. I like what they do, but with my extra time, I'd rather volunteer at my church or do active stuff, not do the sit around and drink beer thing.

Just my feeling, and I certainly have nothing against any VFW post or member, just not my cup of tea.

I'll also say that when I hung around in the haunts of seal team or some special ops guys, not one of them were ever in a VFW like setting. Each team or group had their special gathering place. You'd walk in, one of them would recognize you and you'd join in the gathering. Non vetted civies were all about but not a part of the "Group" as it were, save for wives in a lot of instances.

As a part of those unofficial true warrior groups, we did charity and honor guard as well, but for fallen team mates who we knew.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:46:48 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
I qualify, but like Chief said, bar stool things aren't my style. There was an article written basically asking the same thing; I'd have to look back and find it, but it basically said the same thing. Plus the older members who are still there aren't into changing things up, which I understand, but change is inevitable and it could only help out their organizations. I'm paraphrasing so take my response with a grain of salt.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
As an officer of the vfw, let me take a little time to get something together on just how organizations like this will soon be gone and the strugles within.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 04:32:13 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
That makes sense. I will forward that to my boss. He is commander at our local post. They just tore the old legion hall down and are building a community center in its place. Maybe they will take some of this in consideration when they get thier new meeting room.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal