Hello Guest

Author Topic: Truck question  (Read 1270 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Truck question
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
I have a 06 Duramax with 360,000 on it and it is my daily driver 120 mile round trip Monday-Friday. The thing is paid for and has served me well and the main reason I got it was to drive it until I retire and with the Duramax I think that it will do it. I think that I will retire in 2 more years. The wife thinks I need to get a new vehicle but I sure don't like the thought of a truck payment. I have a couple questions for you all:

1) How are the new duramax? Any known problems?

2) Anyone know anything about the little Duramax in the Chevy Colorado?

3) Anyone know anything about the mid size trucks Colorado, Tacoma, Frontier others?

Thanks
Steve

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Truck question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »
The Tacoma’s are popular here and hold their value well. They are by no means over powered but I think are fairly reliable with guys around here putting 200-300k on them fairly easy
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:13 PM »
I haven’t heard good or bad on the new 2020 but I also am greatly interested.   I am in much of the same boat, needing a new more stock truck and the new powerstroke keeps calling my name.   No retirement in my sight for years

Do you need to sell the duramax?

Are you needing a full-size?

Do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
I know if you plan to do any tuning, then the LP5 is no longer an issue. I think it costs like $7K to unlock the computer. So buy it and drive it.

I have been exploring the ZR2 for a couple years. I am totally underwhelmed with the 2.8 duramax. We own a 2019 GMC Canyon with the V6, and it is way peppy and does not lack for power. Further it almost gets over 20 mpg and most times in and around 23-24.

Tacomas...We also own a 2020 4-Runner. It is pretty underpowered, but is a great vehicle. Just salt of the earth reliable and solid. So a Taco would be a solid choice as well. And oddly, it still has rear drum brakes!

Rams are delivering awful fuel mileage but last forever and are good running/looking

Fords...I don't know them
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »

Do you need to sell the duramax?

Are you needing a full-size?

Do you want?

No need to sell the duramax  but the oldest grandson would love to have it

No true need for a full-size truck except from years of abuse my body has taken from military service a full-size is easier to get in and out of for me.

I'm not sure what I want. I know that after many years of abuse to my body from my time in the military my full-size truck is easier to get into and out of. But I haven't been in a Tacoma or a Colorado so don't know if it is do able or not.  I guess I should go and try them on for size, I just hate to deal with car salesman. I would rather walk in and say I want this and this is how much I will pay. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »
I wouldn’t recommend giving it to a youngster,   They get nothing from freebies lol,

The smaller “toy” trucks are to small for my feet under the dash.   Won’t ever own a anything less then a full-size.    Tex seems to get good revs from his white truck,   I completely understand cab room. 

I’d stay in the GM or Ford wheelhouse.  No way would I buy a dodge with the stupid computer updates that killed all power and torque gained by the eco diesel.  GM has yet to give an update that catastrophic to my knowledge

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
I really like Toyotas, but if you're looking for comfort the canyons/Colorados will be better than the imports, and still not be a mini truck.
That being said I would just spend a weekend driving different ones, considering it's a pretty big investment.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 06:27:49 PM »
Alright I'm cheap! You put any type of options on the Colorado or Tacoma I'm approaching the price of my first house and if you start talking full size Duramax  :shocked: May be keeping the old Duramax and see how many miles I can put on it. I hate car payments!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »
So, to give you an idea, I’m just a little fellar compared to many here at 6’2 175lbs, my wife and I have owned a wide variety of vehicles over the last ten years.

Right now we’re driving a 17 Taco, and we both really like it. Yes, underpowered but don’t expect a full-size in a midsize truck package and you’ll be ok. Now, this is just me, but I often times get in after my 5’2 wife and drive it without moving the seat because I know she is driving it again tomorrow. Sad
part about a taco, new or used, they ain’t cheap.

Before this we have owned three different 4runners, two different duramax, a really terrible 1ton dodge(nothing good about it besides the amount of cab space it had), a Ramcharger we shouldn’t have parted with, a ford sporttrac, and still own a 74 dodge crew cab.

The best of them all, hands down, our 2007 GMC Sierra. Good mileage, lots of power, comfortable seats, and enough space. Our next most prefered of those owned would probably go to the 1988 Ramcharger we had.

Now, all of that to say one thing, do not buy another new vehicle. It just ain’t worth it, which I know you know, I could give you lots of reasons why, but I won’t because I don’t need to. That duramax will easily get you through another couple years I sure think, especially if you don’t beat on it like much of the younger folks do (sometimes I fall into that category).

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »
I have a 06 Duramax with 360,000 on it and it is my daily driver 120 mile round trip Monday-Friday. The thing is paid for and has served me well and the main reason I got it was to drive it until I retire and with the Duramax I think that it will do it. I think that I will retire in 2 more years. The wife thinks I need to get a new vehicle but I sure don't like the thought of a truck payment. I have a couple questions for you all:

3) Anyone know anything about the mid size trucks Colorado, Tacoma, Frontier others?

Thanks
Steve
Steve, how is the body on the 2006?  It might be worth a re-power/rebuild if you are handy with a wrench and can be without it for a few days while you wrench on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 11:38:49 AM »

Thanks
Steve
Steve, how is the body on the 2006?  It might be worth a re-power/rebuild if you are handy with a wrench and can be without it for a few days while you wrench on it

The body has no rust but a few dents but nothing I can't live with, need new driver door hinges, headliner and new leather for the front seats. After looking at prices for a new truck I may do just that. My son was a certified Allison tech before he joined the military but still has all the tools. Even if I have to buy engine and transmission be cheaper than a new truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 01:31:40 PM »
^ this is much my plan for mine, I’ll have it parked for years but rebuild is worth it I think.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 09:58:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for your 2 cents not sure what I'm going in the long run, but short term keep the Duramax and keep runner her up and down the highway. I did find something interesting on the web today, I have always wished that the EPA wouldn't be so prudish and let Toyota bring in their little 4 cylinder diesels. I found a company in Texas (https://dieseltoys.com/ ) that you take them a Tacoma, 4 runner, land cruiser they will install a Toyota diesel but between labor and parts you are looking at around $25,000.00 which is a little rich for me after you buy the truck. The guy with the 2018 Tacoma on their page is saying on the highway he is getting 30 + MPG

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
Yeah. You can get a real diesel truck for a that money.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal