Hello Guest

Author Topic: RV Helpful Hints-  (Read 4798 times)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
RV Helpful Hints-
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
Here's a new list I figure that I'd start:  Helpful hints that most of us learn by trial and error, and nobody goes over when you buy a trailer.  Please add yours as it goes along!

1.  For Venetian style blinds, with the rod that bounces around going down the road, twist the blinds closed so that the lower edge of each louver closes over the upper edge of the one below it.  This way the rod doesn't end up flopping around and catching behind them, bending them out at the ends.  The other option is to pull them all the way open, but then it's like everyone can window shop your RV.

2.  For long term storage (especially during hot weather or climate) give door, hatch and slide-out seals a light coat of petroleum jelly or seal dressing so they don't bake onto the sealing surface and crack or tear when you open them later.

3.  Microwave/Pool Noodle trick: http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=504.0  This is a quick and easy fix to keep those microwave glass turntables from bouncing and breaking!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:39:37 AM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: RV Helpful Hints-
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
1. Put a nylon tie strap on the drivers side hitch tension bar. Reduces wear in as it always goes on the
    the same side.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 09:28:39 PM »
Use zip ties to secure drawer and cabinet door handles so they don't flop open while on the road. Added bonus when your doors might interfere with the slides and get ripped off
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:08 PM »
Get tags like the "remove before flight tags" and write your checklist before leaving on it and hang it on your steering wheel when you arrive. It will force you to review your checklist before you pull out. Like lower antenna , turn off water heater,  check hatches, etc
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »
Get tags like the "remove before flight tags" and write your checklist before leaving on it and hang it on your steering wheel when you arrive. It will force you to review your checklist before you pull out. Like lower antenna , turn off water heater,  check hatches, etc
....and take out tire chocks.. :(
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:56 PM »
....and take out tire chocks.. :(
Sounds like you've done this to Ken.  :-[
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
On a tow trailer, physically reach under the hitch and be sure the ball is trapped and cross your safety chains.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:01:49 AM »
And in the fifth wheels do a "pull test" before putting your landing gear all the way up to make sure the kingpin is captured in the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »
Stabilizer jacks are NOT meant for leveling. Level first, then drop stabilizer jacks.

Not me... But I've seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »
On a tow trailer, physically reach under the hitch and be sure the ball is trapped and cross your safety chains.

I use the up button on the tongue jack to check the latch. That is a bad spot to be putting fingers, have seen the red liquid of others a few times.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:26 AM »
That MAY work. But I trust feeling it, I can't count the times I have had a hard time getting the ball to release with the latch open.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »
Maybe a little mirror on a stick?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal