Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3  (Read 70089 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #1250 on: July 03, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
Continue the mission Chief.  People busting your chops.  You built the right vehicle.  Soon you’ll see that it’s worthy of a DMax swap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a feeling he has already begun the mental preparation for a Dmax swap. You know the whole what all parts is needed for this type research, creating a list type thing.
Actually further along than that. Member here has a core...I am checking out parts here and there

Won't be cheap, but would put a period on ever needing to upgrade for power. It would have it

Oh sweet BURBIMAX!  HH6 here wants one too.... but she wants something like the late 80s model.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 04, 2019, 02:02:37 AM »
Continue the mission Chief.  People busting your chops.  You built the right vehicle.  Soon you’ll see that it’s worthy of a DMax swap

I have a feeling he has already begun the mental preparation for a Dmax swap. You know the whole what all parts is needed for this type research, creating a list type thing.
Actually further along than that. Member here has a core...I am checking out parts here and there

Won't be cheap, but would put a period on ever needing to upgrade for power. It would have it

Oh sweet BURBIMAX!  HH6 here wants one too.... but she wants something like the late 80s model.

Burbamax - thats a new one. I’ve always referred to them as Duraburbs, but maybe that’s because that’s the company’s name the does the conversions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 04, 2019, 02:41:06 AM »

Burbamax - thats a new one. I’ve always referred to them as Duraburbs, but maybe that’s because that’s the company’s name the does the conversions.

Ya, It seems everyone calls them duraburbs, so I’m trying to find a different name. Maxiburb is another one.... I don’t know just don’t want to call the one we build a duraburb.  Don May though.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 04, 2019, 01:23:21 PM »
Ya know, you peeps name it, that's fine with me.

And the jury is still out, but the think Tex started is still a glowing ember that just may ignite into a flame...a flame which burns down my property!

But what the heck, Who Dares, Wins!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 04, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Ya know, you peeps name it, that's fine with me.

And the jury is still out, but the think Tex started is still a glowing ember that just may ignite into a flame...a flame which burns down my property!

But what the heck, Who Dares, Wins!

Too bad I couldn't get the fixed up motor into the Jeep Grand Cherokee, just don't like V6 lately.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 04, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »
Here we go again.  Suppose we'll start seeing 'burb pieces on CL in about 2 years. 

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 05, 2019, 08:39:01 AM »
Here we go again.  Suppose we'll start seeing 'burb pieces on CL in about 2 years. 

No, not like that

and

time for a little story

Some of you know this, most do not.

I purchased Square D from its owner all fairly and properly (or so I thought). We met, I paid the money, we wrote up and signed a bill of sale and he signed the vehicles title. I loaded up Square D and hauled it home. I was in no hurry to get the thing registered, it just wasn't on my mind. Maybe a year into the project I decided one day to get the paperwork transferred at the county clerk's office.

Well, the clerk there noted that I hadn't gotten the signature of the seller notarized and he had signed in the wrong place. So to get this all fixed, I'd simply have to find him and have him make the corrections and then proceed.

I noted that this guy was covered in tattoos, a lot of them espousing the Harley-Davidson namesake. It turns out that:
1. Yes he was a biker
and
2. He was gone for parts unknown
So I went back to my courthouse and in typical government style, they simply fold their arms until lunch time. You either die of hunger waiting them out, or you realize you are NEVER going to get any help from them
Well I searched high and low for the owner, but he was gone and that was that.

I tried to get a salvage title for it, but in the mean time, he, who was still responsible for paying the annual taxes on the thing did something with the title status that sort of froze it. My Recourse was to ask for his address. See the earlier statement about government clerks. I even thought about reporting it stolen and give them that to sort through, but the government, although unwilling to help you will  suddenly wake up and bite you if it senses you broke one of its rules.

It was about then that a guy I know offered to send me a title and a vin number, so I continued working on it. It took forever and in the end he was just hot air and never did. But by then I was way over the hump with a now painted body and engine nearing completion.

I'll make a note here. Do not say things like you are going to help and not follow through. Had it not been for that ray of hope, I would have shut it down years ago, before paint and been 2-3 years ahead on a Suburban project. I find myself guilty of this myself sometimes, but my advise is to just do what you say you are going to do...nuff said.

It was then that I met a lady in my church who worked there. The conversation got around to the title and she told me to give it to her. I asked what it was she was contemplating. Well, she didn't exactly say, but it sounded like she would have to forge a signature and falsify a document. (Read: I would be the agent causing her to sin)

Well I was torn by that one, but I decided not to ask and that was that. Another person who knew of the matter told me to meet this person who would mysteriously notarize the title with a signature for $100 and he had a proven track record. Well, again I thought, can you mess around "a little" with the neighbor's wife and it somehow be OK? Can you just catch a cat nap with the devil and not be soiled?

So I didn't do that either. But I did go on to finishing SquareD, almost that is trying to find this guy, but that never happened. I was then left with the fact that I could only ever operate the thing on my farm or tow it to shows, and not having the luxury of carrying a fleet of trucks and still maintaining a really pretty wife under the same roof, I made the call and chunked it up.

So what came of all that? Did I get my arse handed to me? Was I a fool?

In self analysis, I can say, I should have registered it the next day, so that's on me. But what of the building experience...Did I have a rockin' good time? Well, yes. Did I teach probably, hundreds of you how to do things? I think so. Did I meet some amazing people (most of you) who have enriched my life significantly? Well, ya... Did we as a group, centered on the building of one old Dodge start to look like a healthy God loving group of men that I'd wager, thousands of others got to see? Yes I believe we did. And did that living group dynamic possibly lead some others to a relationship with Jesus? I'd say there is a pretty good chance of that having happened. So that means God used me, and you...Think that was a net positive?...? And in the end, did I learn a lesson and didn't I recover $30K from all of that...Why yes I did!

Oh and BTW, I registered the Suburban the next day after buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 05, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
And on the diesel conversion thing.

I think that our brother in the Republic of Texas has it the mostest, rightest! (Yes I know those aren't real words, I wrote a book after all, I know hows 2 rite!)

This burb is a very long term ownership thing (Read: for the rest of ma daze...which may not be all that many, or may surprise all of us) Therefore I see it as the best I can make it, above reproach and FOC (Free of compromise) So a diesel it should be

with caveat

The diesel should be done extra-right. no leaky arse LB7 mess. Let's look at the state of the art and see what kind of cool transplant we can come up with...full tilt LML?? 6-speed 8-speed?? 10 speed??

Just looking at the price of the new offerings, heck for a fraction I already own a classic that is in most ways way coolerer than someone who smacked down double the cost of my first house + 7 acres on a depreciating TWOM (Total waste of monee). And for a bit more can own something that is a true hybrid that in our minds, Chevy should have built.

Mo caveat:

I need to haul the pre-rangers off on that epic trip before they are actually, real Rangers. So I'd say I keep it a gasser until after said gas guzzlin trip, then konvert it komrade to the "people's burb!"

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 05, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Just find a wrecked truck..By the time you get all the parts, you will be ahead, maybe even has a nice rear too for that 80 thingy.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 05, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Charles,  I hope you're proud of yourself.  Lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 05, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »
Just find a wrecked truck..By the time you get all the parts, you will be ahead, maybe even has a nice rear too for that 80 thingy.
I'll start looking/sourcing parts later on in the fall. Too much going on right now. I'll just tear down and rebuild everything to new+ spec, then drop in as an assembly.
My plan would be to drop in a 2011+ LML if that is possible with computer and wiring and all that. I think earlier like the 02 has a 32 bit processor, and later has a 64 bit. That may be the bridge too far and point me to a LBZ. So if an LBZ, then a 500-6--hp build with new injectors, bigger turbo, pipes, big IC and some money poured into the Allison and I'd be satisfied. My 620HP Silvy is so powerful as to be somewhat unusable. I only use the #3 light tow tune setting. Anything more and its spinning, and pulling really hard. So some steps back from the rim is what i'd want in a vehicle 3/4 ton less than my truck and with more gear.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
LVTD
Living vicariously through Don

I’ll reiterate here again Don. It will be easier to swap an LB7 with LLY heads  the LB7 ficm will run the LLY injectors. 

It’s a tried true and proven concept with no learning curve for you.

Wagler rods and arp studs top and bottom and you can make 900 hp with no worries

JR is right. Get you a donor truck like a rollover or rear end accident

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:43:10 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
I'll start looking/sourcing parts later on in the fall. Too much going on right now. I'll just tear down and rebuild everything to new+ spec, then drop in as an assembly.
My plan would be to drop in a 2011+ LML if that is possible with computer and wiring and all that. I think earlier like the 02 has a 32 bit processor, and later has a 64 bit. That may be the bridge too far and point me to a LBZ. So if an LBZ, then a 500-6--hp build with new injectors, bigger turbo, pipes, big IC and some money poured into the Allison and I'd be satisfied. My 620HP Silvy is so powerful as to be somewhat unusable. I only use the #3 light tow tune setting. Anything more and its spinning, and pulling really hard. So some steps back from the rim is what i'd want in a vehicle 3/4 ton less than my truck and with more gear.

just keep me posted. can do whatever you decide. the guy in FL can do any model engine.. price just changes for more emissions deletion. (which.. let’s  be honest.. is a must). and you know you have the CP4 to contend with. and initial purchase of said donor power plant.

probably be tit for tat on newer less miles donor than a built older motor with more power and easier electronics.

hard to say without actually have hard and fast numbers to go off of. either way, it’s going to be awesome.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
Don, I make a yearly trip to Indian so if you find something around Oklahoma I could drag it your way

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2019, 09:53:39 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the tips and offers men.

We are getting a bit ahead of the program here...I am just now really warming up to the swap (Deciding to do it)

I guess I messed where Tex mentioned it before, but that combo makes sense too. There is an LB7 motor around the block for $700, so that would be easy. Donor truck, thinking in the 3K ballpark possibly a bit more. There is a wrecked 01 or 02 around for under 4K.

But I'll have to research and I am not impressed with the early transmissions, 5-speed Ally's I think?

Anyway, that is late summer to fall stuff. Have to win the lottery first, but I think something is about to pop that will pay for all of this. Has to be fully outside of the normal income as my super-cop wife will detect an anomaly of say plus or minus a quarter and cause me to live on the roof for a month or two. Then I'll have to buy her a diamond and I'll be OK until the next anomaly!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 06, 2019, 03:17:17 AM »
Just go 06 and up. I would say stay with the LBZ years. More stock power, emissions easy to delete and 6 speed tranny.

Use the tranny as a core for a built unit. The 6.0 will fetch a good price too.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 06, 2019, 07:06:43 AM »
I believe the issue Don is going to confront is the communication protocol of the early DMax. If it were 04+ (iirc) he could swap pretty much anything into it.

He can build whatever block he likes but he will need to use the LB7 ecm/tcm/ficm to drive it and that’s why the LLY headed motor is the best compromise since the LB7 ficm is known to be able to reliably drive the LLY injectors and conversion harnesses are available.

There is nothing wrong with the LB7 blocks. The weak link is the con rods.  ARP studs and  wagler street rods will hold whatever he’d want the power level to be in the burb.

And Don, you can put a six speed behind an LB7. And for what you’ll be running it would need to be built anyway.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
Can you run the 06+ six speed or are you talking about a 6 speed conversion? A buddy of mine has been exchanging emails with duramaxtuner.com about their 6 speed conversion. If I remember correctly he said the cost after returning his core will be right around $1,300. Considerably cheaper than the suncoast kit.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 06, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »
I’m not sure if you can run a native 6 speed trans off the 5 speed tcm. Bet Mike L would know. For sure when Don has his built they can convert it. That’s the one thing I wish I had done when I got mine built

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
Maybe I’m the naysayer but why not just drop a Cummins in it? Say an 2003-7.5?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 06, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
I'm thinking something like a 2000 Cummins 24v would be perfect,  with a power glide,  converted to 2wd and propane with skinnies on the front and Mickey slicks out back.

Or, better yet if you wanna go with a gm platform....17 up LP5 Dmax with 910 ft lbs stock. Might even come with a warranty!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 06, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
Maybe I’m the naysayer but why not just drop a Cummins in it? Say an 2003-7.5?

Too bad theres not one just laying around anymore....

I'm thinking something like a 2000 Cummins 24v would be perfect,  with a power glide,  converted to 2wd and propane with skinnies on the front and Mickey slicks out back.

Or, better yet if you wanna go with a gm platform....17 up LP5 Dmax with 910 ft lbs stock. Might even come with a warranty!

The ecms are encrypted, and after the obummer administration cracked down on the tuners, the only ones you can get to do anything come from canada?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 06, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
i actually know where one of each of those motors are!

(LBZ [core], 06 common rail 5.9 and an 01 24 valve 5.9)

hahah

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 06, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
Pretty sure the codes have all been broken. get updates from EFI all the time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2019, 01:55:09 PM »
Nate, I was just dotting like everybody else,  but Kory still tunes.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: July 06, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
Pretty sure the codes have all been broken. get updates from EFI all the time.

For older ones i am sure, last i knew  one has been able to crack the new one yet.....have they?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 06, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »

Yeah but Kory doesn’t actually do the tunes anymore. Quality of his offering has really gone downhill from what I’ve heard. I wouldn’t give him my business.

Ryan

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 07, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
i know the guy in CA that did mine (LBZ) does it all the way through LML. (not sure about L5P) and it fired right up in 2 seconds after being flashed.

hopefully we will have to collectively figure this out  :grin:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 07, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
Hi there! Thought I'd check in on the DGT (Don's Garbage Thread, short for Someone turned my 2002 Suburban build thread into some useless discussion thread again...but that's too long, so just DGT) to see what the weather is in shanghai and the latest recipe tweaks for atlantic lobster plug soup!

Emoji: Don's not happee... :blank:(Needs filled in right there) :angry:
and
He thinks he is working with a bunch of, one-delta-india-zero-tangos   :blank:
and he has accrued enough quality information
to write, An expert's guide to herding kats!" :police:
Errrrr.....  :facepalm:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 07, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
i know the guy in CA that did mine (LBZ) does it all the way through LML. (not sure about L5P) and it fired right up in 2 seconds after being flashed.

hopefully we will have to collectively figure this out  :grin:
OK, so this is how it works
To the man who steps forward and volunteers
You get to own it
You are now married to the Texan RedNeck
You can be the head, but he is the longhorn neck.
Track down the road Tex set in motion. LB-7 with rods, good pistons, studs, and LLY or later heads.
Figure out if I can bolt a 2011 and later Ally 1000 to that mess and figure out what is required, who makes harnesses, what I need from a doner/junkyard and come up with a plan.
I'll set you up on the payroll, same as the rest of us
Work hard, take few breaks, and get A FREAKIN REAL plan together that does not involve some detroit diesel or cat engine coupled to a submarine transmission.
Present such plan here after you have created it. Start a new thread and call it something like, "Bonehead and knucklehead design's Big-D's next monee pit. Do not, say again, do not clutter my personal and wonderful Burb thread with the nonsense that is sure to be generated by the DOTs
Copy?
Move out-
Report on assigned frequency when REAL progress is made
Take no advice from anyone else here or anyone who knows anyone here ;-)
Out
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:47:34 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 07, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
That's that Armee in me comin' out right there ^^^^^

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 07, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
HAHAHA

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 07, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »
Is thing even back in your driveway yet?  Everyone still out for a week vacation?  Who takes a week off for the 4th?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 07, 2019, 01:50:15 PM »
Who's this Flyin6 guy? Acts like this is his thread or something.
Anywho,  now that he's gone,  yes Nate he started LP5s last year.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 07, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Is thing even back in your driveway yet?  Everyone still out for a week vacation?  Who takes a week off for the 4th?

I took the whole week off for the 4th, Dave. Had family come in and we went to the Ark. is this the right thread to give my travelogue about that?  ;)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 07, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
Works for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 07, 2019, 06:12:28 PM »
Anyone see H’s buddy Epstein got arrested for sex trafficking?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 07, 2019, 06:44:02 PM »
Any one have a fighting argument for one brand of another of air intake systems for these duramax?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 07, 2019, 07:20:43 PM »
From a few different timers: LBZ and later stock good till 650.

Not sure where you’re at, but that’s from a few of them years ago.
Simple. No oiling. No cleaning. Etc.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 07, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »
I have stock box now and it’s warped just enough to not hold the stock filter in place .   Either need a new factory replacement box or aftermarket

No particular reason for one or the other.  I am maybe 500hp.  Pushing the big tune

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 07, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Try 500hp with lower gears, wow!

I have the SB. Got tired of the high priced filter and pain in the arse changing. Sure not all the time, but a pain.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 07, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »
What filter did you have that was high priced? He

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 07, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »
Stock. I thought it was pricey and a pain to put in.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 07, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
I currently have a afe stock replacement.   The rubber is deteriorating from being cleaned.   It’s kind of gummy now.  So I need a new filter 1 way or another,  $68 for a new one, the no I have is twisted up and not holding the filter correctly.  So.... looks like buy a stock box and filter or buy a aftermarket kit

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 07, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »

Well, the guys at the corner garage do (Take a week off)
Yea, took me by surprise
But this is Kentucky. Not all that unusual for folks to close up shop. I wish I would have known, cause I would have liked to have had the week to take a stab at it myself.
But, no, its still boxed up over there!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 07, 2019, 09:07:25 PM »

I took the whole week off for the 4th, Dave. Had family come in and we went to the Ark. is this the right thread to give my travelogue about that?  ;)

No...No it's not!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 07, 2019, 10:38:03 PM »
Serious question Chief. If you’re gonna have a built transmission (which we all assume will happen) wouldn’t it just make the most sense to build one suited to the year model of the engine and the rest of the vehicle? The newer ones are stronger in stock form but this one won’t be factory. There are thousands of built 5 speeds holding way more power than your stated desires, all with none of the fuss and headache of “making it work”. If the 6th gear is a deal breaker, there’s an option for that also. I’d be willing to bet that the additional purchase cost, wiring, tuning, and figuring out of the 11+ model would pay for the 6 speed conversion. That being said, if the process of mating the old and the new is a challenge you’d enjoy, then by all means, throw this comment right out the window. It’s your money and your vehicle. This is just $.02 from a guy enjoying this awesomeness unfold from the cheap seats.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:39:27 PM by longball »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 07, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »
Don,

I'll email my son (the one in UAE) he was a Allison tech before he joined the Air Force so he may know what is needed for a early block to a 6 speed swap

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 07, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »
OK

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 07, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
Who's this Flyin6 guy? Acts like this is his thread or something.
Anywho,  now that he's gone,  yes Nate he started LP5s last year.

L5P*

;)

Serious question Chief. If you’re gonna have a built transmission (which we all assume will happen) wouldn’t it just make the most sense to build one suited to the year model of the engine and the rest of the vehicle? The newer ones are stronger in stock form but this one won’t be factory. There are thousands of built 5 speeds holding way more power than your stated desires, all with none of the fuss and headache of “making it work”. If the 6th gear is a deal breaker, there’s an option for that also. I’d be willing to bet that the additional purchase cost, wiring, tuning, and figuring out of the 11+ model would pay for the 6 speed conversion. That being said, if the process of mating the old and the new is a challenge you’d enjoy, then by all means, throw this comment right out the window. It’s your money and your vehicle. This is just $.02 from a guy enjoying this awesomeness unfold from the cheap seats.

Some good thinking here.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:53:36 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal