Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door  (Read 114814 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Jeep Jk 4 Door
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
Ohhh, take note - real fabricators use steel welding tables.......no flames and it lasts until the material is needed elsewhere for a project!
You have no proof ;-))

Except a searing memory of my fabricator father & grandfather smacking me upside the head often standing beside them at the shop.  Then there's Shawn......and your flaming paint tables/work surface/shipping boxes!  ;D
Nothing wrong with flaming tables!

Motivates one to get the job done quicker!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Nothing wrong with flaming tables!

Motivates one to get the job done quicker!

Nothing wrong if they're in Japanese restaurants & it includes cooking food...... ::)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
^^^Nothing wrong with that at all!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »
You have no proof ;-))

This is a masculine directed thread, please refrain from the illogical liberal type comments.  ;)
Fixed it for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks for watching my 6 Red!!!! ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »
Us rednecks have to stick together

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
Slight update, still working on rear tire carrier. It kinda took a turn as I acquired a couple expensive fuel tanks that are getting mounted to rear tail gate. I ordered new set of tail gate hinges (upgraded units) so waiting on those to finish fuel tank mounts then the tire carrier. Will post some pics later.

So since it turned cold & I started using the heater the blower motor started its squeaking noise again. It did this at the end of last winter, once it warmed up outside & I quit using heat I forgot about it. Doesn't squeak using the ac, so seeing how it is just start of winter figured I should tackle this project.

Ordered up a new blower motor from rock auto $40 ish. Was kinda dreading this as I've done some vehicles in the past & this can be a pain to swap. Anyhow if I didn't have to stand on my head I'd say it was easier than an oil change. Removed glove box (which actually isn't necessary) as it can be accessed from the front passenger footwell. Single snap plug for power & 3 screws it drops right out. Literally a 10 min job, an engineer used his noggin when designing that unit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
Well...

After all, it's a Jeep. They know its prone to failure! ;-)

So they made it easy to fix!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »
OK, so enough about Ken and him being a year older and falling down the hill and lacking the ability to learn how to carry a newer technology sidearm.......

Seriously, it was making me depressed coming on the site and the only updates are Ken's B-day well wishes. I think you guys are all going soft, this is the kind of stuff my hippy neighbors yap about daily. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he made it through another year of my harassing him about H bumper stickers and her being his GF and all but this is a real mans site so we need to get on with it already!

So I mentioned of acquiring some fuel tanks for the JK. These are the real deal Scepter version cans, buddy of mine (neighbor FJ guy, non hippy he even has an FFL) who was born a Hoosier (like I said real deal here) has a contact who sells them (also current Hoosier) and he even machines those fancy wrenches to get the cap off. Yeah, you'll need that wrench as these things don't leak anything and seem to pressurize over time. Anyhow I paid just north of two bills for the two cans, the spout and the wrench. What can I say, I'll pay for quality. So as to quit teasing here are some pics, currently building the rack to hold them to the rear JK tail gate and waiting on the upgraded hinges for that rear gate to arrive via the brown van man. Pics will follow of all of that down the road.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »
this is a real mans site

those fancy wrenches to get the cap off. Yeah, you'll need that wrench as these things don't leak anything and seem to pressurize over time.

Well as this is a real man's site, let me be the first to say you don't need a "fancy wrench" to remove those tops. You just need upper body strength...  ;D

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2016, 07:08:35 AM »
Not only that bobby, but what the heck is all that pink crap he has plastered all over the tops of the cans.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »
this is a real mans site

those fancy wrenches to get the cap off. Yeah, you'll need that wrench as these things don't leak anything and seem to pressurize over time.

Well as this is a real man's site, let me be the first to say you don't need a "fancy wrench" to remove those tops. You just need upper body strength...  ;D

Bobby, that was a solid hit

Good work Army!

Sorry Shawn, but he connected on that one...just take it and smile!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2016, 08:46:01 AM »
On another note, I have always liked those cans. Plastic too!

I was wondering how well they'll pour. When you transfer some fuel with them let us know.

As a sidebar, the NATO 20L metal cans I have been using for years now to refuel my tractors and Loader have held up well. Always work and pour as well as you'd expect from a venting nozzle.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
this is a real mans site

Maybe so, but it was a package deal & it's a nice piece. I've never used them neighbor claims they fill easily I'll let you know. I was looking at the larger rotopax until he showed me these & stated he had a rotopax leak (the one on wr450 hasn't yet knock on wood).

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2016, 09:37:08 AM »

Nailed it! LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2016, 11:33:03 AM »
Very cool cans there. Even if the pink is just one shade shy of limp wristed ::) I had the now illegal red metal jerry cans that every 4wparts and offroad shop carried with the flex steel pour spout and brass looking cap. leaked when it poured, leaked when stored, easy to cross thread the fittings, just junk. Those look the part for sure.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:19 PM »
On another note, I have always liked those cans. Plastic too!

I was wondering how well they'll pour. When you transfer some fuel with them let us know.

As a sidebar, the NATO 20L metal cans I have been using for years now to refuel my tractors and Loader have held up well. Always work and pour as well as you'd expect from a venting nozzle.
I have a few of these cans as well. Love them. Tough as nails. Even at 40 below.
I do have 'concerns' with the spout. It looks small-ish and may be slow.
I have a different style that I'll have to get a picture of. It's more like 1" ID and will empty the can right quick. May be too large for some applications though. I use for skidoos, boat, and truck. All have large fill opening.
Now the wrench...part of package ok I'll let you away with it.
May be occasions that it is handy, but Bobby is right.
We have had to pipe wrench a few that have frozen/iced over but normally just manning up does the trick.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
On that wrench and lid, these guys are wheeling the Rockies. So not making excuses but it's not WI or KY either as far as elevation changes. The ID on my filler is 9/16 on the tube 3/4 od

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
I think it's more a ribbin' on the wrench.
It would serve its purpose well I think.
Like wrenches are hard on the lids.

They do swell up a lot with temperature changes, and I suspect with elevation to some degree they would as well.

If the gasket is not clean and he lid tight they can leak.
As well if venting will be needed don't fill to the top.
The air vent runs through the holes around the perimeter into the handle.
If you are too full it will push fuel out the cap when venting or using. Just FYI.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »
I think it's more a ribbin' on the wrench.

If the gasket is not clean and he lid tight they can leak.
As well if venting will be needed don't fill to the top.
The air vent runs through the holes around the perimeter into the handle.
If you are too full it will push fuel out the cap when venting or using. Just FYI.

Yeah, Bobby has his licks coming now that he's in my cross hairs...... ;)

I was wondering about holes on the perimeter, that makes sense thanks for the heads up.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2016, 07:13:04 PM »
On that wrench and lid, these guys are wheeling the Rockies. So not making excuses but it's not WI or KY either as far as elevation changes. The ID on my filler is 9/16 on the tube 3/4 od
Good point on the elevation change!

Start off at 5,000MSL and end up wheeling over the divide at 12,000. THe pressure difference would cause a lot of pressure to be pushing on the lid. Make it mucho harder to unscrew.

OK Hoosier, you're forgiven!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2016, 05:04:13 AM »
You have no proof ;-))

This is a masculine directed thread, please refrain from the illogical female type comments.  ;)
3am and I am now trying not to wake the wife up from her beauty sleep as I read this doing the try hard not to laugh routine.  Knock it off guys!!!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
Here's the fill nozzle I have.

And link.

http://mil.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/accessories/04353/

Thanks for posting that link, will hold off on getting one until I see how this other functions. I have the standard car filler neck on the JK so not sure that other would work anyhow.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »
With the standard filler, the big guy won't work for sure.
It will just make a heck of a mess... ::)
No need to ask how I know...
It is handy for bigger holes though.
Sam

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2016, 10:02:03 AM »
If you build your can carrier so that you can remove the lids while mounted, you can use a hand pumped syphon to refuel. Then you won't have to worry about removing the can, and getting the spout firmly seated in the fuel filler while trying to balance the can and pour. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
If you build your can carrier so that you can remove the lids while mounted, you can use a hand pumped syphon to refuel. Then you won't have to worry about removing the can, and getting the spout firmly seated in the fuel filler while trying to balance the can and pour. ;-)
I planned on using just such a pump to refuel off of the hippies drivin' the jap cars!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »
We've got four of those gas cans, all mil-surplus of some kind, didn't pay much for em. Pressure is something I can attest to having hauled them from Georgia to higher parts of Wyoming. I don't recall ever having one really leak though, and mine are all busted out inside the lids, just as you would expect from mil surplus. I use what many on here have probably heard of as a donkey d*** as a filler nozzle. It's a flexy metal type that all military use, or atleast all I ever saw. It was in the 5ton we owned for a short while. But stayed with us when we sold it.

We also have several of the water jugs of the same material and design. Tough jugs that's for sure!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
Water jugs I see are about 1/2 the price. Are they the same material?

I picked up a few smaller "test" military jugs using a quick release spout I haven't matched yet. About 3.5 gal and tuff as nails!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »

I picked up a few smaller "test" military jugs using a quick release spout I haven't matched yet. About 3.5 gal and tuff as nails!

I think the only real difference between the water and fuel cans are the lids. The water can lids are easy to cross thread, and tend to leak some. I've never put fuel in a water can, though, so I can't testify whether or not they will degrade. I'd stick to fuel in fuel cans.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »

From what I can tell, and as OX noted, they seem to be the same thing, but I cannot with certainty tell you because I have not ever seen the actually material makeup of them. I can tell you though, that once at 29 Palms cans may have gotten mixed up, and water cans were used for fuel. No lengthy test,but no bad reactions to the jug while the JP8 was in the water can.

OldKooT

« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »
So the old Mil Cans are illegal? I see them virtually every day around here on all manner of rigs..clearly not being enforced if accurate. I do seem to remember reading on that yuppie sight... Expo something, about this.

The old GI water specific cans had a internal coating in them that doesn't play well with gasoline. Although No2 doesn't seem to bother it.

As for that wrench for the fuel caps...seems like  a grand idea for arthritis suffers. Just saying....

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
So the old Mil Cans are illegal? I see them virtually every day around here on all manner of rigs..clearly not being enforced if accurate. I do seem to remember reading on that yuppie sight... Expo something, about this.

The old GI water specific cans had a internal coating in them that doesn't play well with gasoline. Although No2 doesn't seem to bother it.

As for that wrench for the fuel caps...seems like  a grand idea for arthritis suffers. Just saying....
The old steel cans can no longer be sold (that's the illegal part, not illegal to own them due to environazi ranting and razing). I don't think the plastic cans have a different liner, but the steel ones did.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
I still see the old cans here in Kali, its the spouts that are whats screwed up on all of em now. Black market for old spouts,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »
Interesting...I shall have to keep my old cans closely protected. Some are ww2 vintage and still hold fuel daily. 

Jr...the rest of the 49 states generally assumes everything we have here is illegal in Cali except Pot and Corona  LoL But yeah, good gas can spouts are now rare.

Maybe we can get Mr JK to hook us up with a purchase deal on these high zoot cans with a wrench? A pair of them would look good on Patch2

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
I like those cans too. I see em on Ebay for around $100 each new, some used too.

I also have a 4 of the newer 20L "nato cans" that are OK and only $40 each.

I saw a guy selling them on Ebay in lots of 7 for a good price, maybe a group buy?????

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »
I like those cans too. I see em on Ebay for around $100 each new, some used too.

I also have a 4 of the newer 20L "nato cans" that are OK and only $40 each.

I saw a guy selling them on Ebay in lots of 7 for a good price, maybe a group buy?????
Yea!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:30 PM »
Maybe your buddy can get a pallet of em and we'll divey them up?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »
OK, been side tracked for a week or two. Since my step dad passed away helping mom out has taken up quite a bit of my time. Spent a week back in Hoosier country getting the farm in order for winter. This then put me behind on my parts business and since getting back have been hitting that hard to get ahead. Started this morning wrenching on the Jeep only to get side tracked again with Hoosier issues. Apparently it is cold and the beauty parlor that my mom owns needs a new furnace. So between phone calls I'm trying to have some fun.

So I opened up the box of new rear tail gate hinges. Nicely made units that are rebuild able too, they incorporate a couple bronze washers in the hinge point and are made from all 3/16" steel. The section that bolts to the tail gate is actually rectangular tube that was laser cut. They have been powder coat but the coating was scratched off in a couple small areas on the sharp laser cut edge.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
So the first step is to remove the crappy plastic covers on the old hinges. Then remove one hinge at a time to reveal a lack of paint at the factory. The base coat is there but its definitely lacking the finish coat. I also discovered where some of that cancer was starting to form. So took care of that and added some primer and paint. They do add in a couple of pieces of black tape to cover the exposed non painted areas that the new hinges show but I threw them on the trash since paint is a better option.

worth noting the original hinges had about an 1/8" of slop in them vertically and no real way to tighten them up, as the new ones wear I can tighten and adjust as needed.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »
Those look great.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
Those hinges look pretty hefty!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 15, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »
So here they are, fit was great and they even had a nice little grease zerk in each. The lack of in the oem is most likely why they were so sloppy at this point.

Definitely beefy compared to stock and I agree at $150 they seem a bit pricey but I could not find anything on the market even close to as heavy duty as these. Maybe that needs to change, as they say competition is always good.....

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 15, 2016, 05:27:42 PM »
How are the braced on the inside? Is the structure they're bolted to strong enough to resist metal tearing once you mount jerry cans to the tailgate?
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 15, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
Good question, so a stock 33" tire weighs roughly 55-60#s give or take etc. Now a gallon of gas weighs 6.183# x 10 (2 of the 5 gallon cans) comes in at 61.83# plus weight of rack and cans. Trying to keep rack at 5-7#s so I think we'll be ok. The other thing to take in consideration is the cans will be mounted right up against tail gate where as a tire has more leverage sticking out further.

I did not pull the carpet back & inspect, the bolts thread into a plate inside the sheet metal. Also worth noting a lot of guys running 35-37" tires hanging off the stock mount. I wouldn't recommend it but people do it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:40:50 PM by stlaser »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2016, 08:16:15 PM »
Worked some more on the rack this afternoon, guessing it's already at 7# or little more & about half built. So was looking at the mount, I was originally going to center is up from side to side on the tail gate. However, was contemplating the leverage factor mentioned above & if I shift it right of center towards the hinges I think any addition weight will be offset by lowering the leverage on the hinges.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »
Sounds like a plan. I look forward to seeing the final product!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 01, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
OK, so it's been slow going but need to get the dual can carrier finished up along with the rear tire mount. I purchased a couple other things that are coming in this week that will need to get mounted. I'm also starting on a new project, details will follow on that in the next couple of weeks.

So after getting those HD hinges mounted I decided to take what I had which was this

and figure out how to make it mount permanently to the right side (near hinges) of the tail gate. So I added some more steel 3/8" round then wished I would have made the whole thing from 3/8" round as I like the look.

then finally this afternoon I cut and formed up the last several pieces to complete the assembly (couple pieces can be viewed in the above pic near the bottom of the frame.

little swag press brake insert for my H-press did a nice job repeating the bends for both tank tops

& I think you can see what I'm going to end up with now.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 01, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
Tanks will be in the mount with fillers facing away from each other. Hinge for top will be at either side / end and I will pin and lock them by a single lock in the middle between them.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 01, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
I like the look of that round bar! Very clean work...Giving me ideas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal