Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327491 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2900 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
I have been running a high biomix and keep a red bottle just in case.

Sam, just going through you pics and saw the garage. About as messy as mine AS I STILL AM WORKING ON IT.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 10, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »
Wil, I haven't seen those before.
You'd need to be colder than here (-40-45) in my mind, as I've never had problems, and don't hear of them often. But it would likely help a ton if fuel quality and conditioning was not there.

I know when I had my Kenworth even in the coldest weather the fuel was always hot, as in steaming when the caps were pulled to fill. I think the return rate in the common rail diesel is enough with good fuel.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
I have been running a high biomix and keep a red bottle just in case.

Sam, just going through you pics and saw the garage. About as messy as mine AS I STILL AM WORKING ON IT.

Yeah... :facepalm: it's a continuous work in progress that I can't seem to get ahead of.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 10, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
So I have a photo update from my buddy.

First one is HH6 at the end of our driveway.
We got some but not like my buddy.

And here is the good ones.

Here's his entry way from the picture from inside earlier.

His boy helping out.

And after today digging...

Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 10, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
I secured an 05 excursion. 2000 miles away from my home (near Houston TX). buying without driving it/smelling or seeing in person. Everything that you normally don't do. I buy cars for a big family of dealerships so its kind of normal, but its different when its your cash. I'm pretty stoked since its the trim level wife wanted, and its been bulletproofed. and 5-8k less than it would be if it was up here in the NW. ill post up the pics once it arrives, were probably a week or more from delivery.

You don't say? Does it have a cummins in it? :popcorn:

Sorry, between my BIL and I we have around 20-25K in two different 6.0L motors.....

With that said I've saw some that had several hundred K on the clock and mine pulled a 36' 16GVW enclosed trailer 150K before it went south. So I hope you the best luck with that truck.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 10, 2017, 11:25:35 PM »
We had on shorts at the park today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 10, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
Sam that's some snow for sure!  My Mom grew up in the northern tip of Maine....one time after a big snow she and her brother and sister tropes through the living room past my grandmother and headed upstairs.....a few minutes go by and here they come tromping in the backdoor and heading upstairs again....after aomething like the third or fourth time my grandmother said "where do you keep coming from?" The snow which was piled above the first floor was perfect for jumping out the second floor window into. Ha. Your buddy could do that easy!

Didn't realize that about the return of the fuel....makes sense though....maybe those are more in use up in Prudhoe etc.

Cute little man there Dave! I bet he keeps you on your toes!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:45:21 PM by Wilbur »

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 11, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »
I secured an 05 excursion. 2000 miles away from my home (near Houston TX). buying without driving it/smelling or seeing in person. Everything that you normally don't do. I buy cars for a big family of dealerships so its kind of normal, but its different when its your cash. I'm pretty stoked since its the trim level wife wanted, and its been bulletproofed. and 5-8k less than it would be if it was up here in the NW. ill post up the pics once it arrives, were probably a week or more from delivery.

Sorry, between my BIL and I we have around 20-25K in two different 6.0L motors.....

With that said I've saw some that had several hundred K on the clock and mine pulled a 36' 16GVW enclosed trailer 150K before it went south. So I hope you the best luck with that truck.

LOL... if the funds were there I would much rather have a built duraburb. But I can't fathom  spending the money that would require. Will be my wife's driver so it will never see more than 1/4 throttle. The toyhauler is the only big thing it will tow, other than the 18' flatbed. All the major stuff has been done, so at this point we just have throw caution to the wind and hope for the best. Worse case scenario it doesnt work out and I unload it at an auction. The NW diesel scene is insane and I'm sure I can get my $$ out of it. But I too have spent 10k on a 6.0 to get it back on the road, as well learning the 7.3 is a turd in the mean time. One of these days I'll have less kids and maybe some more $$. But for now it's what will have to work. Here's a pic for now

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #2908 on: March 11, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
Your little man looks happy Dave.

I got to bring an overdose victim back to the land of the living today. The good feeling that brings is quickly squashed however by the realization that the 2 week old baby in the house is hers and she is passing whatever she took along to it (heroin cut with fentanyl is popular as of late). Like they all do, she denied taking anything but she's not the first one Narcan had made a liar out of.  Then I almost got my fool self and another firefighter killed. I will elaborate more on the details after some sleep but for now I will say that there can never be enough emphasis on doing the little things perfectly. Not just right, but perfect, every single time.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:30:10 AM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 11, 2017, 03:00:44 AM »
Dave, you aren't wearing the same shorts I hope,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Longball, glad you both came through OK.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: March 11, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »
Bulding sides on the car trailer getting ready to go to Cincinnati to clean out my wifes aunts house.

If you get to cincinnati and need a hand give a shout, I'm just south of there.
We should be good but don't be supprised if I take you up on your offer. 3 furnished upstairs bedrooms. It all has to go. You dont need a king size bedroom set do ya? Lol. Seriously tho Cincinnati craigslist is about to be flooded with home furnishing ads.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: March 11, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »
I knew you would want to see me in short shorts JR, and it has been a good mini vacation with the boys down in sunny St George Utah

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: March 11, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »

LOL... if the funds were there I would much rather have a built duraburb. But I can't fathom  spending the money that would require. Will be my wife's driver so it will never see more than 1/4 throttle. The toyhauler is the only big thing it will tow, other than the 18' flatbed. All the major stuff has been done, so at this point we just have throw caution to the wind and hope for the best. Worse case scenario it doesnt work out and I unload it at an auction. The NW diesel scene is insane and I'm sure I can get my $$ out of it. But I too have spent 10k on a 6.0 to get it back on the road, as well learning the 7.3 is a turd in the mean time. One of these days I'll have less kids and maybe some more $$. But for now it's what will have to work. Here's a pic for now

I like it
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: March 11, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
I knew you would want to see me in short shorts JR, and it has been a good mini vacation with the boys down in sunny St George Utah

Its cool watching these boys grow up here!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Your little man looks happy Dave.

I got to bring an overdose victim back to the land of the living today. The good feeling that brings is quickly squashed however by the realization that the 2 week old baby in the house is hers and she is passing whatever she took along to it (heroin cut with fentanyl is popular as of late). Like they all do, she denied taking anything but she's not the first one Narcan had made a liar out of.  Then I almost got my fool self and another firefighter killed. I will elaborate more on the details after some sleep but for now I will say that there can never be enough emphasis on doing the little things perfectly. Not just right, but perfect, every single time.

Works that way with flying too!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »

Copy all that, just giving you a hard time. I still cringe thinking of that darned 6.0L........

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: March 11, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
LOL, I know....No worries being a previous owner, buyer and appraiser for a living makes me nervous with them also. And like you I've seen both sides where people have no problems for 300k+ and I've seen 50k mile well maintained ones that are junk. Every vehicle is a gamble no matter what it is. Within our family of dealerships we have 8 franchises, my main focus is imports but my backgrounds is domestic trucks. And I've seen it all from new cars with crap transmissions and 400k mile rides with zero leaks and run like a champ. That being said I'm still a Chev guy at heart and probably will always be, until Cummins and Allison team up and make a 3rd row 3/4 ton burb/excursion/escalade/Yukon XL with portal axles ..I'll hold my breath.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: March 11, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
Portal axles......

Now you're speaking my language!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: March 11, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Had the youngest helping out this morning rebuilding the front walkway at the hide/retirement place.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
SAR training today....11 degrees at the start....warmed to about 18 with 30 mph winds and some gusts that (supposedly) were 45-50. It was chilly. Did a cross country hike to a spot (just given a map coordinate of the end point).

Then a "search" of a small area finding a bunch of potatoes thrown theoughout the woods. Good day....fortunately the widow makers stayed in the trees. But I love being out in the cold. Something about it makes you really feel alive.

Nor'Easter heading our way so we'll see what Monday Tuesday brings. Weather guys are predicting a good one.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: March 11, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Got the wife's car dug out of the snowbank.
Blew the back yard clear, well till the 5 footers beat me.

Had to change thermostat in my new Bertha.
It's really in bad taste that you need to pull the head off to change it.

Now going to have dinner, cabbage rolls and some kind of soup.
After dinner, changing a power supply in a real old computer.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Had the youngest helping out this morning rebuilding the front walkway at the hide/retirement place.

That turned out nice!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
Thanks Don. She unloaded all the chop stone out of the trailer and removed all the flag stone from the original path, then helped rake out the path before I dumped the granite and re set the stone.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Oh. And have a brisket on

Took the point off this time. Should be done about noon tomorrow.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »
Youngest and I worked on a cement edger for the backyard. Pored an 8ft section then washed it. I did 12ft before this with just 6ft to go now. (pics later)

Worked on the treehouse putting up temp supports, replaced 2 1/2 lags with 4 1/2 lags and drilled a 1 in hole for an all thread for lower supports (that was work).

Side towards the house will be cable supported with a 3/4 eye bolt up high.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: March 11, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Kids helped me build a little laser engraver. I want to cut things so I got a bigger one with 5x the power that will etch and cut!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: March 12, 2017, 12:23:01 AM »
Youngest and I worked on a cement edger for the backyard. Pored an 8ft section then washed it. I did 12ft before this with just 6ft to go now. (pics later)

Worked on the treehouse putting up temp supports, replaced 2 1/2 lags with 4 1/2 lags and drilled a 1 in hole for an all thread for lower supports (that was work).

Side towards the house will be cable supported with a 3/4 eye bolt up high.

JR,

Curious about the regulations for building a treehouse, considering you're in commiefornia. I would think you'd have to jump through all kinds of hoops and inspections and fees and more fees for the fees.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: March 12, 2017, 12:41:39 AM »
Probably is somehow, didn't check, don't care.

Its only 6x8, not massive but 12ft up and should be fairly hidden once done.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: March 12, 2017, 12:52:08 AM »
Should be done about noon tomorrow.

See you then....I'll bring some beer and Jack!

Love the tree house idea...I some times watch that show Tree house Master....that guy makes some amazing places!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: March 12, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Wil you better get here quick. Taking the point off the flat sped the cooking time. Point is done and now resting in the cooler. Flat has about another hour to go.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
Well they got done faster than I planned.  Soooooo brisket tacos for brunch.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: March 12, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Built a heavy trailer from scraps this week . The only things I had to buy were safety chains (because I didn't want to make some) and cutoff wheels.Getting ready to paint, then slip on a service bed that I had laying around.

Sent from a spaceship

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: March 12, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Interesting Ken, looks like it will sit fairly high. What is the intended use?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: March 12, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »
Need some fast advise.
Green mountain grill Daniel boon
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/daniel-boone-pellet-grill-non-wifi/
$550 + plus $100 bucks worth of pellets

Camp Chef
https://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/wood-pellet/grills-smokers/camp-chef-pellet-grill-smoker.html
$500 and a drive that will cost fifty bucks in fuel

Or look into the treager

I want to plug it in, digital control, I don't really care about ash clean outs or led lights

I know the thicker the metal the better, I don't plan on cooking for masses just my family

Thoughts with out turning this into another thread

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: March 12, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
Not real sure Shawn. LolThats my brother helping out.

Sent from a spaceship

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: March 12, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »
dave,

the GMG is made by the brother of treager that left, they are still made in the us if I recall correctly.  good cooker.......and if i remember correctly, GMG has a pretty good PID controller (better accuracy)......

the camp chef is a pretty good entry model, not real sure about them......

as an owner of one, i would really like to have an ash cleanout on mine (just makes for easier cleanups and also helps with ash build up over long cooks.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: March 12, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Need some fast advise.
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/daniel-boone-pellet-grill-non-wifi/

Camp Chef
https://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/wood-pellet/grills-smokers/camp-chef-pellet-grill-smoker.html

Or look into the treager

I want to plug it in, digital control, I don't really care about ash clean outs or led lights

I know the thicker the metal the better, I don't plan on cooking for masses just my family

Dave, just add it to my thread since I have yet to buy one....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: March 12, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »

Sent from a spaceship

So with the truck axle, you just pulling the axle shafts & making caps to put back on? Assuming you don't want the ring & pinion turning going down the road.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: March 12, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
Naw, going to let it all spin to keep everything lubed. It won't see many miles.... Basically making a construction and water carrying trailer. We're going to use it to build my brother's house this summer. It'll have a 325gal  tote, generator, and all of our tools.

Sent from a spaceship

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: March 12, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
Need some fast advise.

Camp Chef

Or look into the treager

Dave, just add it to my thread since I have yet to buy one....
I am leaning to the gmg and I assume Monday I will have one

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
That will need a review Dave.....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »
Do I need to burn my self this time

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 12, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
dave, check out  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/  there is a ton of information for beginner pellet heads......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 12, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
Dave I would find a review on BBQ brethren or pelletheads. I really like my RecTec. Look for heavy stainless on the burn pot and the diffuser plate. Mine has a cool down cycle that blows on the firepot removing almost all the ashes.  I never vacuum the ashes. Although I'd like to have the meat probe and more Programming on the controller you probably won't use it as much as you would think.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 12, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
Do I need to burn my self this time

Not necessarily but if you do we need pictures, video would be even better just sayin

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Dave I would find a review on BBQ brethren or pelletheads. I really like my RecTec. Look for heavy stainless on the burn pot and the diffuser plate. Mine has a cool down cycle that blows on the firepot removing almost all the ashes.  I never vacuum the ashes. Although I'd like to have the meat probe and more Programming on the controller you probably won't use it as much as you would think.

I don't that I have rectec money! Good grief they want arms and legs for those

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 12, 2017, 10:39:52 PM »
Nothing happens for real with pics, speaking of here are few from me.

First is the lawn edger I started and youngest son helped with. About 6ft to go, will so in the AM. Levels the yard to the new paver patio and all the extra sand will help with leveling the new sod.

Got some flooring on the tree house. 3/4 treated ply. Starting to look like something and the boys are jazzed 12 ft up.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 13, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »

Sent from a spaceship

So with the truck axle, you just pulling the axle shafts & making caps to put back on? Assuming you don't want the ring & pinion turning going down the road.
It don't make much difference If the rear end is all together. Just make sure its topped of with 80/90. I built a pickup box trailer and took it on a couple 3,000 mile road trips at 75-80 mph on the interstate. On thing he should do if he didn't already, pull the brakes out. On mine the dang brakes started dragging for some reason.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »
I... am tired.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 13, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
Cooper did not help much, but he kept the seagulls busy. He does approve, however.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal