Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dash Cams  (Read 2815 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Dash Cams
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
i have a dash cam (read : a cheap one) and it supports up to a 32GB memory card, is there a way to have it put the video files on a hard drive in the car? I tried a larger memory card but it doesn't work. I thought about it while I was driving home from work.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Dash Cams
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:58:16 PM »
I wonder if you could use one of the eyefi cards in it. It's basicallly a SD memory card with short range wireless that can write to a laptop or other network drive. Then it would all be available on a device you could watch it on. Assuming said laptop survived a crash or whatever the dashcam recorded.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:04:17 PM »
Is there any reason you want to store the files?  Most dash cameras have a record over feature.  They will record over the oldest files until you need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:51 PM »
Is there any reason you want to store the files?  Most dash cameras have a record over feature.  They will record over the oldest files until you need it?

This one will record over the older files, but SUPPOSEDLY the 32GB card will record 14hrs (roughly) of footage. However I've noticed that sometimes I won't get near that amount, to the point where I recorded over the AM footage when I was driving home in the PM. So that's where I'm wondering if there's a better way.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
I suppose you could use a Raspberry Pi micro computer running a modified Linux OS.  The board has Wi-Fi, so you could use the eyeFi card or a USB connection to the board.  Once on the board, connect it to an external hard drive or a thumb drive, since the onboard micro SD can only handle 32 GB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:52:14 PM by KensAuto »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »
I suppose you could use a Raspberry Pi micro computer running a modified Linux OS.  The board has Wi-Fi, so you could use the eyeFi card or a USB connection to the board.  Once on the board, connect it to an external hard drive or a thumb drive, since the onboard micro SD can only handle 32 GB.

Hm.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
Bobby, Do you have the model # or specs? Do you have USB port? If the operating system allows for multiple drives you could just add a external hard drive.

I have this one and it is powered via the USB cable. 512Gb would be a good expansion. The key would be if your unit can power it and recognize the second external drive.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1060479&gclid=Cj0KEQjwioHIBRCes6nP56Ti1IsBEiQAxxb5Gwh0VCejwsLnVXYM9BDJQg5KKJaS2QzxoM-vZ858pRAaAgsO8P8HAQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&is=REG&A=details

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
Simple fix would be get a second 32gb card - one for AM, one for PM. 32GB is cheap -- $12 on amazon.

Some of these dash cams are I'm sure made with ancient leftover circuitry, so they likely can't/won't accept more than 32GB.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:52:30 PM »

Is this supposed to be English? Remember, you're talking to a grunt. (ok, he is younger and probably still smarter than me, but still...) lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »

Sent from my SAsMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Is this supposed to be English? Remember, you're talking to a grunt. (ok, he is younger and probably still smarter than me, but still...) lol
And some of the rest of us are equally as challenged.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
i'll see if my kid can translate for me :rolleyes:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Ok...here we go...

Get tiny computer.  Plug thumb drive into tiny computer.  Download SD card from camera to tiny computer.  You (or someone else who can do programming) can write code to automatically do it for you.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Well, I did have 2 SD cards, but one decided to vanish. I was thinking of a way to not have to swap cards, its not hard or time consuming, but oh well. Maybe I will tinker with a couple of the ideas posted. I do have a small tablet that I got for my birthday last year that I might use as a catchall if I get one of those wifi sd cards.

Offline Spacecase544

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:41 PM »
Oh yea...I forgot one important thing...just cause it sounds like dessert, DON'T EAT IT. Not yummy like jalapeno cheese spread.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 07:18:54 AM »
Oh yea...I forgot one important thing...just cause it sounds like dessert, DON'T EAT IT. Not yummy like jalapeno cheese spread.

Oh jalapeno cheese spread....

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »
Add smoked jalapeƱo cheese spread to the when I can eat food list

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »
 :popcorn:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
:popcorn:

Can't do much until I order the card and see what I can make work.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal