Hello Guest

Author Topic: Krav Maga  (Read 5768 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Krav Maga
« on: August 06, 2016, 09:09:25 AM »
Ok, so gunna throw this out here.

So my oldest (I have 3 daughters) who is about six months shy of turning 15 comes to me last night & states she wants to do a self defense class. She's 5'4" (takes after her mom in height dept unfortunately) & gets the boys attention more than I care for, she is smart in that she is big on personal safety & space. A little back ground here is that she is also going into high school, she plays basketball & is extremely disciplined as far as training. She lives at the gym between doing her ball handling & shooting routine. Then add in her own personal weight / cardio program & this volt system the kids all use in the local high school athletics. Honestly, she amazes me in that she's the type whatever she puts her mind to she will accomplish. Describing her as driven is a bit of an understatement. I realize I'm her Dad saying that but at the same time my other two do not have her drive, sorry kiddos....

So anyhow Krav Maga is pretty big out here, pretty intense & best I can tell about the best self defense system out there. Her being a girl they focus on finalizing things quickly & aggresively which I like for her. So I'll support her in whatever she wants to do but here's the catch. She wants me the old man to do this with her. ???

I'm not opposed but at the same time am really questioning do I really want to kill myself at this point. When it comes to fitness I'm no pansy doing 20-30 miles on my bike a week (just purchased couple weeks ago still working up) & on average 16-20 miles on the elliptical along with weights. However, I'm far from 20 years old & things just don't work like they used to as I'm pushing 40. Part of my concern goes into keeping my joints healthy as I've had some issues in the past so I really try to focus on low impact (reason I use an elliptical versus running). The other part is do I have the ambition to do this?

So anyone out there have any experience with this system? Figure I'll go have talk with local instructor & get their sales pitch so hoping I can find an external sounding board. I realize most of you old farts probably don't even know what I'm talking about but hoping maybe Bobby or some young-un will see this and chime in..... ;D & if you old guys know something, or not and just want to rib me I fully expect no less from this crowd for the record. ;D

So thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:11:57 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Krav Maga
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
Having nearly dropped performing manual labor this week at almost 53 in 96 degree heat and close to that humidity......I say DO IT!  Why am I pushing you in said direction?  Because YOUR DAUGHTER ASKED YOU TO......for a teen to want to be involved like this with her father in today's society is a huge thing, and not to be passed-up as it's not likely to happen again, if the request is "passed" on.......you can get your joints repaired/replaced later and may very well have to anyway from your description.  The strength that you and your daughter will gain in your relationship will far outweigh any "boo-boos" incurred in the process! ;)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
I'd say go talk to the instructor(s), there may be more than one training site. Talk to them about their training techniques, bring up any things you think might cause a problem down the road... bad knees/back or whatnot. Bring your daughter, they might even allow you two to have a free session to try it out. Sure you'll probably (definitely) be sore for a few days, but it is what it is.

If I was in Colorado, I'd give it a whirl.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
Back is good, one knee gets pissed often. Other concern is my hands go numb (holding bike handles etc for long periods of time) which is most likely nerve damage from years of pounding steel. But yeah I've been researching it & one outfit has 4 locations in Colorado with good reviews. Definitely will be sore that's a given, heck I moved 3k # of retaining wall stone the other day and still kicking my butt.

I agree it's an opportunity with my daughter that I shouldn't pass up. Plus it will push me to the next level in my workout I believe. The other thought is it will give both of us more tools at the same time.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Back is good, one knee gets pissed often. Other concern is my hands go numb (holding bike handles etc for long periods of time) which is most likely nerve damage from years of pounding steel. But yeah I've been researching it & one outfit has 4 locations in Colorado with good reviews. Definitely will be sore that's a given, heck I moved 3k # of retaining wall stone the other day and still kicking my butt.

I agree it's an opportunity with my daughter that I shouldn't pass up. Plus it will push me to the next level in my workout I believe. The other thought is it will give both of us more tools at the same time.

I'd check all 4 places out, see which one feels right. Then give it a whirl, I'm sorta jealous cause there's no places around here to give it a try; well at least that I've heard of.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »
Only one is local to us, but there are other outfits just haven't researched them yet. Will check this place out & report back....

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
Only one is local to us, but there are other outfits just haven't researched them yet. Will check this place out & report back....

Maybe you can get HH6 in on this training.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »

Maybe you can get HH6 in on this training.

Actually my daughter is working on her......

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 10:29:48 PM »
I have a close friend who is a scary mofo and a serious Krav trainer and expert. I mean travelled to Israel and leaned and trained there kind of stuff. I love and respect that form of training.  I've trained with him a few times and I wish I were closer as its easily an hours drive each way.

Having said that I was just asking him about a place closer to me and he pointed me to a place that was a member of the Krav Maga Alliance.  The alliance is headed up by John Whitman who is well respected in the field.

Shawn there are many types of Krav classes, most of them are glorified cross fit/cardio classes.  Find one that is part of the alliance if you can or one that focuses on fighting technique more than cardio.

It is all about explosive moves that incapacitated your adversary and gets you out of the fray. I say find the right one and go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
TRN, here is where I am going to go visit first....

http://www.coloradokravmaga.com/about/

What personally hooked me was the power ranger photo, just sayin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:53:54 PM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »
Seems legit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 05:42:10 PM »
I say go for it. I'm 43 and up until last year when my workload kept me from being able to go, I was a member of a Krav gym here in Little Rock. It is a great system, and not that bad on the body (unless your training partner is a little overaggressive, although that makes it a little more realistic  ;)). Here's a link to a Krav Maga forum, you could jump on there and do some chatting with folks to learn more. http://www.kravmaga.com/forum/
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »
Copy, thanks for the info

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
That's a pretty dapper primate.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW, John Travolta is NOT aging gracefully........... ;D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
Sure thats Travolta? Looks more like Jackson to me with the chromed 45.

Wait until your almost 60. Joints are OK, but getting moving is not the same.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
Was that a monkey reference to Sam Jackson??? bwahahahaahhaha. the hair is pretty close to either in that scene, but I would expect Clint Eastwood to have made an appearance alongside the monkey at some point.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
Well that escalated quickly!

If you try this Krav Maga give us a report.  Especially about how hard it felt on your joints.  My wife has been tossing the idea around as well.  I think the defense aspects of it would be useful.  Though she has worse joints than any of you, I can pretty much guarantee that.  And she's only 30.  We've been trying to figure out the name of it for years, yet unsuccessful, but she has one of the diseases that reduces the strength of the tendons that hold your joints together.  All of her major joints (shoulders and hips are the worst) pop out of the socket regularly.  So I would love to know ahead of time whether to steer her toward or away from something that might make it worse.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:20 PM »
That's a pretty dapper primate.

Any family resemblance? BwwAAaah!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
Was that a monkey reference to Sam Jackson??? bwahahahaahhaha. the hair is pretty close to either in that scene, but I would expect Clint Eastwood to have made an appearance alongside the monkey at some point.
You mean Libtard Jackson?
Soon to move to Canada I hear (If trump wins)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
If only the ones who say they will leave will do it and take their ways with them.

We have a friend through church who said they will move to the UK if Trump is elected. I also expressed my views (to liberal) to some members of the church my wife likes, which I think lost me the sale of the Blazer partly.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
All jokes aside Shawn, I would go for it. A few years ago I went all in for 6 months at brazilian jiu jitsu with Sam until he got too involved with running start, and I paid for it with my bad knee and disc issues and bad hands/nerves etc. But it was worth the close time gained for sure. Krav is much more explosive than bjj, but it seems to be a lot more upper body involvement, which I'd be game to try myself. The other guys are right, you probably won't get another opportunity w/ her like this. "suck it up buttercup"
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
So did this ever happen? Still thinking about it? Tried it and it wasn't for you?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 12:40:47 AM »
So my daughter injured her knee in basketball this past winter. We put this on hold as she has progressed through physical therapy. We're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel for her.

I signed up for an intro class this week. Figure I'll get started then when she's 100% she can join.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »
Sounds like a good plan.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
Good plan! That means you can get a little bit of skill under your belt before she starts kicking your butt. LOL! Good deal, hope you enjoy it!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »
Well, I made it through my first hour! Shirt was drenched in sweat but it was a good time & the group (1/3 women & 2/3 men) all had great attitudes. Probably didn't help but I rowed for 45 mins this morning then lifted. Have a feeling I am going to feel this added workout in the morning.

Class I attended was mix level, we did some different defensive moves from beginner up to level 5 stuff. For each they broke it down so even a noob such as me could understand.

I would say if your fitness level is sitting on the couch & getting winded by going to grab a beer from the fridge I wouldn't start with this. You do have control of how hard you push yourself, I could have easily slacked & hardly been sweating I suppose. I'm not that guy though when working out.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
Good deal! Glad they're a good group, and that you enjoyed it.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
Good deal! Glad they're a good group, and that you enjoyed it.

My back is tore up today but I'll survive! :likebutton:

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »
 :likebutton:
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal