Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3  (Read 69534 times)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #1100 on: June 04, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
Really sharp rig but I think it needs the step ladder and grannies rocking chair on top!  Bet the pre rangers are excited to hit the road also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
Don, That suburban looks outstanding! Well done. I hope you 3 enjoy your adventure. You could start a business of building these for forum members 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 04, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »
OK, alignment complete and I actually got to drive it a wee bit today.

So a couple of strange things happened. I expected some hiccups so i guess they have arrived

First of all, the truck did some idling on the alignment rack, then it had a test drive. A little while later I was backing it up back onto the trailer to take it hope and it starts just pouring antifreeze out. I think it was coming from the over flow and I'd say it puked between one to two quarts!

Why???

I have no explanation as to why that happened. I did have the reservoir topped up really well, so normal expansion may have accounted for the burping of fluid, but that much???

After getting home I topped it up more and it burped a little bit, so I'll call that one normal.

I drove it around the neighborhood then down the road and back and it seemed normal. In fact the temp gage showed nothing above approximately 180F.

Then I grab the pre-Ranger and go for a slightly longer drive and arriving at a country store to buy a peach tea, again, it seems normal, although the idle is way too low at around 500 RPM. On the drive home I romp on it at about 35 and it hit pretty well, then "Boom!" Followed by a strong vibration. I brought it to a stop and looked underneath, and discovered the driveshaft had shoved one of the U-joint caps out of its pocket and beat the other one half way out.

I pulled the driveshaft at home and found some damage to the end of the shaft. The U-joint cap bores were no longer round. So I tapped a bit with a ball peen, then forced an old cap into the pocket and straightened that business out. I put two new caps onto the U-joint Tater sold me and shoved all that back into place, installing new U-joint cap retaining clips to the outside seated into the grooves. So, call that repaired, and then the daylight ran out.

Through all of that I dropped my new camera and broke it. Yep it died, so instead of working into the night, I was off to best buy to get another new one. This one, you may recall was purchased in March (Short life span)

So, I guess I'm a bit rattled at the moment. I can't explain why the fluid is burping out, and the electric fan never came on, and now will this driveshaft hold up???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 04, 2019, 10:40:21 PM »
Be careful out there Don. That CG looks pretty high.

Congrats on finishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Handles normally to better than stock is what I am seeing. rear bar now/stock: no rear bar. Front bar is upgraded and much larger. Air bags killin' some of the lean too. It actually drives well and has a very tight turning radius. About that, I am surprised.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 04, 2019, 10:43:11 PM »
Hey Don, if you decide the 35” tires just don’t look right, I can probably find a spot under the blazer for them. They aren’t TOO used so I’m sure we could make a deal. ;)

Yea, I think it could use 37's

So if I can keep the wear down, I could sell them to you highly discounted when I get back. I plan to rotate them once or twice during the trip. Once in Dave's lawn, and once in Shawn's ;-)))

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #1105 on: June 04, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
OK, alignment complete and I actually got to drive it a wee bit today.

So a couple of strange things happened. I expected some hiccups so i guess they have arrived

First of all, the truck did some idling on the alignment rack, then it had a test drive. A little while later I was backing it up back onto the trailer to take it hope and it starts just pouring antifreeze out. I think it was coming from the over flow and I'd say it puked between one to two quarts!

Why???

I have no explanation as to why that happened. I did have the reservoir topped up really well, so normal expansion may have accounted for the burping of fluid, but that much???

After getting home I topped it up more and it burped a little bit, so I'll call that one normal.

I drove it around the neighborhood then down the road and back and it seemed normal. In fact the temp gage showed nothing above approximately 180F.

Then I grab the pre-Ranger and go for a slightly longer drive and arriving at a country store to buy a peach tea, again, it seems normal, although the idle is way too low at around 500 RPM. On the drive home I romp on it at about 35 and it hit pretty well, then "Boom!" Followed by a strong vibration. I brought it to a stop and looked underneath, and discovered the driveshaft had shoved one of the U-joint caps out of its pocket and beat the other one half way out.

I pulled the driveshaft at home and found some damage to the end of the shaft. The U-joint cap bores were no longer round. So I tapped a bit with a ball peen, then forced an old cap into the pocket and straightened that business out. I put two new caps onto the U-joint Tater sold me and shoved all that back into place, installing new U-joint cap retaining clips to the outside seated into the grooves. So, call that repaired, and then the daylight ran out.

Through all of that I dropped my new camera and broke it. Yep it died, so instead of working into the night, I was off to best buy to get another new one. This one, you may recall was purchased in March (Short life span)

So, I guess I'm a bit rattled at the moment. I can't explain why the fluid is burping out, and the electric fan never came on, and now will this driveshaft hold up???

You broke one of Shawn’s u joint straps? Or was it a different end of drive shaft.

Also, if you have a valuable personal property insurance policy, you might be able to add your camera to it. We did that with ours because USAA will cover anything that happens to it, even stolen if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:59:38 PM by wyorunner »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 04, 2019, 11:08:25 PM »
Turner, it sounds like the cap backed off the driveshaft side not the yoke side. I’ve never witnessed anyone breaking those girdles not that it couldn’t be accomplished by Don....

Rotation, we can handle that....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 04, 2019, 11:18:49 PM »
Burping because it's air locked.  It will eventually bleed itself out.  The temp sensor won't read properly,  and the fans won't come on,  if the sensor is not submerged in coolant.  They won't accurately measure air or steam temps...well they will,  but there's a huge delay,  usually after it's already overheated.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 04, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »
I still have a dirt yard so..... donuts it is!!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 04, 2019, 11:36:41 PM »
Could be worse, easy fixes for sure.

You were sure the coolant crossover was open? Knew you had a time finding the O rings for it.

Just do the 37s now and what is it you have about cameras and chainsaws? I keep the lanyard around my wrist now!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: June 04, 2019, 11:46:22 PM »
Turner, it sounds like the cap backed off the driveshaft side not the yoke side. I’ve never witnessed anyone breaking those girdles not that it couldn’t be accomplished by Don....

Ok that makes more sense.

My first thought was, only Don could break something that has yet to have a reported breakage!

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 05, 2019, 03:26:45 AM »
Looking good, Big D! I think Pre-ranger 1 has grand designs of taking primary usage from you. Sleep with one eye open! LOL
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 05, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »

^^^^ What he said

Strap girdle thing is G-T-G

Camera not so much...it died...right after I dropped it...I don't see the correlation...

Shawn is korrekt, looks like one of the caps backed out causing an elongation stress spreadin' too much force shovin in too little of a spot kinda failure.

What scares me is just how, exactly, did that happen??

Ya see, when the drive shaft was modified, they welded a non chevy saddle yoke thing onto the end. Makes me thing it may be one of uncle Ho's chinaman's specials made from scraps of old cartridge cases that we fired at them at some point...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 05, 2019, 08:52:59 AM »
Looking good, Big D! I think Pre-ranger 1 has grand designs of taking primary usage from you. Sleep with one eye open! LOL

Never happen!

I may be slow but at least I do poor work! And since he has designs on becoming a lieutenant, I just can't let him get a leg up. You know the deal...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 05, 2019, 08:57:13 AM »

Ok that makes more sense.

My first thought was, only Don could break something that has yet to have a reported breakage!
Two MARINE privates are locked in a room which has nothing, just four walls, a ceiling and a floor, along with two steel balls. A sergeant comes back in an hour to check on the condition of the Marines and the steel balls.

The privates report that that one of the steel balls is broken, and the other is missing, and no one knows what happened!

Please note that Marines are the central characters in this amusing story

Aren't you a Marine?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 05, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Burping because it's air locked.  It will eventually bleed itself out.  The temp sensor won't read properly,  and the fans won't come on,  if the sensor is not submerged in coolant.  They won't accurately measure air or steam temps...well they will,  but there's a huge delay,  usually after it's already overheated.
I was thinking so. Start with the coolant crossover, or thermostat, or???

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 05, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »
So today I warmed up the truck with the front and rear heater on low and ran it with the cap removed from the coolant resevoir. I observed a burping of air bubbles off and on for maybe five minutes.

Checking the temp gage showed no change at 170 ish.

It burped a bunch of fluid before things got crazy.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 05, 2019, 10:48:05 PM »
Allowing it to run more the temp gage still stayed low but then this happened:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 05, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »
After the volcano eruption subsided I added a gallon and a half more of fresh fluid to get it to nearly top off.

After that I started it and allowed it to run for some time. It did not behave badly, but the temp gage stayed around 170F and I did not remove the cap at all until it had cooled maybe 45 minutes later. It only released some pressure and no fluid at that time. I topped it off with another half quart and put the cap back on.

Honestly, I am concerned that something is amiss. I have never seen bad manners like this before...wondering...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 05, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
With no time to waste, I began with the installation of the tent.

I unboxed the thing and unfolded it. Doing so caused it be become "set up!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 05, 2019, 10:55:05 PM »
The ladder, additional bow, parts and hardware were located inside.

So far, I have to say it looks to be fairly well constructed

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 05, 2019, 10:56:59 PM »
I had the option to open it to the rear which was recommended for heavy trucks like mine, but I chose to open it to the side since I already have a rear hatch to provide some cover. The aluminum ribs are more of the extruded stuff and attach easily

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 05, 2019, 11:00:58 PM »
The actual roof rack I have has enough space to mount the tent to, although, I needed to create a 2 3/8" thick spacer to get the base of the tent above the side mounted tube and some hardware on the other side.

I ripped some pine into the thickness I needed, then cut those pieces to the proper length.

The concept here is to lay this spacer grid on top of the existing metal structure where I can and to provide a total of seven ribs upon to rest the aluminum ribs on the base of the tent. I'd like to distribute the weight of my lardy buttok evenly across the span of the burbs roof.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 05, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
I cut the bottom side for bolt head relief so that the wood surface would rest on the aluminum 80/20 structure.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 06, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »
Next up

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:07 AM »
Instead of all that weight and building, why not just foam sheets?

I would get the cooling system pressure tested.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 06, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »
Oh no, this tent is starting to take on a familiar look.  Trying to remember what it was called... Tic Tac..no..let me think..Tic Tock?...maybe it was Tack Driver. Yeah that was it.

:evil

..cooling system is fine now.  The only way to do it different is to drill a small bleed hole in the thermostat,  or to use what a lot of us shops use, a vacuum filler,   similar to what the factory uses.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 06, 2019, 01:08:28 AM »
Rangers ready, batteries charging.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 06, 2019, 01:50:32 AM »
THIS JUST IN...IN AN EFFORT TO SAVE WEIGHT AND KEEP A LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY ON HIS LATEST EXPEDITIONARY VEHICLE PROJECT, BIG D USES COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF HEAVY WOOD FRAMING TO INSTALL A ROOF TOP TENT TO HIS VEHICLE. THIS PART OF THE PROJECT, KNOWN AS THE TAC-TOP-TENT, IS REPORTED TO DECREASE THE WEIGHT ON THE ROOF BY ADDING 432LBS. AT THIS TIME, IT IS UNCLEAR AS TO WHETHER THIS WILL HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE PROJECT. WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR REPORTS OF THIS VEHICLE'S PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD, AND WHETHER THE TAC-TOP-TENT CONTRIBUTES TO EVENTUAL ROLL-OVERS, AS BIG D NEGOTIATES VARIOUS NEFARIOUS MULCH PITS AT MALLS ACROSS THE UNITED STATES. STAY TUNED!
 :evil:

:popcorn:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:16 AM »
 :likebutton:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:46 AM »
THIS JUST IN...IN AN EFFORT TO SAVE WEIGHT AND KEEP A LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY ON HIS LATEST EXPEDITIONARY VEHICLE PROJECT, BIG D USES COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF HEAVY WOOD FRAMING TO INSTALL A ROOF TOP TENT TO HIS VEHICLE. THIS PART OF THE PROJECT, KNOWN AS THE TAC-TOP-TENT, IS REPORTED TO DECREASE THE WEIGHT ON THE ROOF BY ADDING 432LBS. AT THIS TIME, IT IS UNCLEAR AS TO WHETHER THIS WILL HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON THE PROJECT. WE WILL CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR REPORTS OF THIS VEHICLE'S PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD, AND WHETHER THE TAC-TOP-TENT CONTRIBUTES TO EVENTUAL ROLL-OVERS, AS BIG D NEGOTIATES VARIOUS NEFARIOUS MULCH PITS AT MALLS ACROSS THE UNITED STATES. STAY TUNED!
 :evil:

:popcorn:

Well, at least it’s pine and not red oak or mahogany.

But I got a real good chuckle out of that!

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 06, 2019, 02:06:37 AM »

I figured it'd been awhile since I'd been fired, and I was due. LOL  :wink:
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 06, 2019, 03:54:30 AM »
Fired, that was a full broadside!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 06, 2019, 03:57:15 AM »
LOL! I had a Division run at oh dark thirty this morning, and the quoffee afterwards is necessarily strong.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 06, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »
Better spray this thing so the termites don’t get at it. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 06, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »

I figured it'd been awhile since I'd been fired, and I was due. LOL  :wink:
Yea, come to think of it, I shouldn't fire you because of you serving our nation, and being deployed, in harms way, and all that. But I think I'll make an exception.
Yup, fired ya are
Not sure for how long...Maybe just until I forget I did it...
Anyone disagree?
If so, then Sean will get some company ;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 06, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
Frikkin people! :facepalm: :knucklehead: :sad: :sad:

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:11 AM »

Yea, come to think of it, I shouldn't fire you because of you serving our nation, and being deployed, in harms way, and all that. But I think I'll make an exception.
Yup, fired ya are
Not sure for how long...Maybe just until I forget I did it...
Anyone disagree?
If so, then Sean will get some company ;-))

LOL! ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 06, 2019, 09:41:06 AM »
LOL! I had a Division run at oh dark thirty this morning, and the quoffee afterwards is necessarily strong.

I am so glad that I never had to spend any amount of time in Kuwait  :facepalm:  just the few days it took to get in and out of theater were bad enough. 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 06, 2019, 10:46:08 AM »
Keep Don on his toes guys.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »

I am so glad that I never had to spend any amount of time in Kuwait  :facepalm:  just the few days it took to get in and out of theater were bad enough.

Did you fly through Qatar? I personally would take Kuwait over Qatar, but I was also stuck in Qatar because of plane breakage issues.... for ten days. And then in Germany on the flight for about 7 hours. What a return trip that was! Thankfully I was traveling solo so I was able to be an anonymous blender inner!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »

Did you fly through Qatar? I personally would take Kuwait over Qatar, but I was also stuck in Qatar because of plane breakage issues.... for ten days. And then in Germany on the flight for about 7 hours. What a return trip that was! Thankfully I was traveling solo so I was able to be an anonymous blender inner!

I took a C-130 flight from salerno to Kuwait and we stopped in Qatar just long enough to off load some cargo and to refuel.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »

I took a C-130 flight from salerno to Kuwait and we stopped in Qatar just long enough to off load some cargo and to refuel.

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Which is probably one of the better ways to go.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2019, 11:05:02 PM »
I got the spacer assembly which isn't very heavy at all, (I'd make it 30-35 pounds) undercoated, painted and bolted up

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 06, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
I used 1/4" X 4" long bolts, countersunk into the material to fasten the spacer to the roof rack

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 06, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
It was a balancing act, but one of the pre-Rangers and I wrestled the tent onto its new perch

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2019, 11:08:35 PM »
The supplied ladder was too short and required a short extension to reach the ground to provide both access and proper support

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:00 PM »
The ladder bolts onto the tent frame through some predrilled holes

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
And it is pretty spacious inside

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »
I put up a strip of LED  lights and ran a supply wire from a rear power port in the Burb

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal