Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tribute to a great pilot!  (Read 981 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Tribute to a great pilot!
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:40:37 AM »
A great WWll story...Mary Ellis, pictured during her time as an Air Transport Auxiliary pilot in WWII, celebrated her 100th birthday Feb 2017......

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/IlwK8uSlE5ViSOUB-rHxWrHygC51WyxiMO6i_ZjfRwg06BP8YUffKeoBe5kry4dagl237gBD3Ox0mrooZGFRr_9to_UqKqdNJ12NHDrm44W6B8h6jsYKU-TWU83-0cTyzr92f0KByUioDjKvfg

Tearing through the skies above the South Coast, two Spitfires evoke powerful memories
of Britain's wartime resilience.
But this stirring image holds a further poignancy– for in the cockpit of the lead aircraft
sits Mary Ellis, celebrating her 100th birthday by recreating her time as one of the ‘Ata-girls', the select gang of female pilots who flew Britain's fighters during the war.
And over her shoulder is one of the actual Spitfires she flew during her 1,000 flights as a
First Officer with the Air Transport Auxiliary.

'Wizard, this is wizard!' yelled the delighted centenarian through her intercom.
Mary was handed the controls of the 275 mph twin-seater as it swooped over West Sussex.
After about 15 minutes, she turned for home, and told her co-pilot Matt Jones: ‘Goodwood
on the nose, you have control …’ Then she settled back to enjoy the ride back to base.
Earlier, Mary watched in delight as Spitfire MV154 took its place beside her in an extraordinary airborne tribute.

It was a plane she had delivered to RAF Brize Norton from
Southampton on September 15, 1944, and it hides a sentimental secret.

For at the end of the 25-minute wartime flight, she signed the cockpit, scrawling her maiden name Wilkins and the initials ATA

ry Ellis

Mary Ellis (circled) was handed the controls of the 275mph twin-seater as it swooped over
West Sussex.
She hoped her tag might be spotted by a handsome pilot and lead to a wartime romance –
although the impulsive act, a career one-off, didn't bag her a boyfriend.
Mary, originally from Oxfordshire, had her first flying lesson in 1938, and flew for pleasure until 1941 when she heard a BBC radio appeal for women pilots to join the auxiliary service and so release male pilots for combat duty.
Speaking at a surprise birthday party on Thursday, Mary said: ‘The war was a challenge and one had to do something about it. I went on and on until I flew everything. I love the Spitfire –
it’s my favourite aircraft, it's everyone's favourite, it's the symbol of freedom.'
For four years she ferried warplanes from factories to frontline squadrons. The 166 women of the ATA – about one in eight of the total – have been dubbed ‘The Female Few,’ echoing Winston Churchill's description of the RAF airmen who fought in the Battle of Britain.
s Ellis looked bac

Mrs Ellis looked back over her left shoulder and glanced at the aircraft she once flew.
Mary was usually found at the joystick of a Spitfire or a Hurricane but ultimately flew more than 50 types of aircraft, logging 1,100 hours of flight, much to the astonishment of some colleagues.
As she sat on the airfield ready to deliver her first Spitfire, the mechanic standing on the wing
asked how many of them she'd flown. When she said it was her first, he was so startled he fell
right off. The largest aircraft she flew solo was the Wellington bomber. After landing at an East
Anglian airfield, Mary was greeted by the ground crew who asked where the pilot was. ‘I'm the pilot,' she said. They insisted on searching the aircraft before they believed her.
It was dangerous work. Mary was sometimes ordered to move combat-damaged planes that
were not officially fit to fly, but had to be taken for repairs. She crash-landed twice and was
shot at once.
s Ellis toasted a

Mrs Ellis toasted a glass of champagne with co-pilot Matt Jones, managing director of Boultbee Flight Academy.
Fourteen of her fellow ATA female flyers lost their lives, including aviation pioneer Amy Johnson.

Mary – who to this day needs no spectacles, nor a walking stick – was one of the last six women
serving in the ATA when it disbanded after the war.

She remained a private pilot and then became managing director of Sandown Airport on the Isle of Wight. She married Don Ellis, a fellow pilot,in 1961, but was widowed in 2009. Matt Jones, who flies Spitfires for Goodwood-based Boultbee Flight Academy, reunited Mary with MV154 after first meeting her in 2015. He conspired with the plane’s current owner, pilot Maxi Gainza, to bring it to the UK from its base in Bremgarten, Germany.
He said: 'I gave Mary control of our Spitfire. I wasn’t sure where we were but Mary was very clear.
She pointed us towards Thorney Island, up through the Witterings, flew on to Selsey Bill and then Bognor Regis, never losing a foot of altitude.
‘She showed me precisely how she was able to deliver all those aircraft with just a map, a
compass and a stopwatch. I was utterly humbled by a superior aviator who also happens to be 60 years my senior!'

Mary Ellis was in a select gang of female pilots who flew during World War II.
She has now celebrated her 100th birthday by flying a plane over West Sussex.

Mrs. Ellis flew next to one of the Spitfires she was in more than 70 years ago....
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: Tribute to a great pilot!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
Very nice story. Glad she is still with us. Not sure they make them like that anymore.  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
How cool, amazing generation no doubt  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
Very nice story. Glad she is still with us. Not sure they make them like that anymore.  :beercheers:
I think that sort of character has dried up and blown away in some sweet breeze from our getting to be distant past
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »
Amazing. Great story!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal