Hello Guest

Author Topic: Duratrac update  (Read 1879 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
Duratrac update
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
I bought 4ea new 285/70/17 Duratrac's load range E, build date late 2015 for my RamCharger I managed to put about 25K on the RC before it got rolled, I never had a problem never got a flat ran them around 45-50psi and the RC weights in a little over 7K lbs tires were about 40-50% remaining. 

I then transferred these tires over to my 03 Ram 2500 and have added an additional 10K miles but I had noticed the tread was starting to chunk pretty bad and getting noisy on the freeway, I'm assuming this is mostly from the weak limited slip which lets lots more spinning in the rear as the rear tires are chuncking way worse than the fronts.  Tires are currently around 30%tread life am I was already looking for replacements.

So this past weekend we were going to Paraglide from a new area and to get there you have to take a very extreme trail or road of rocks/boulders.  Six people in the truck loaded with all of our gear.  I have to say these trucks are pretty capable and I only had to back up twice to get a better line.

Any way not sure what exactly caused it but I got a flat on the rear, no big deal I got the spare down and away we went, came back down the trail and didnt see anything wrong and we went to a diffrent site, once we got there now the other rear tire was on it way to going flat, luckily I have an air compressor aired it back up and headed home.

Once home took both tires over to the tire place and he confirmed what I had thought the tires were just getting to the point they were not as plyable anymore, one hole was large about 3/16 of an inch and the other one was pin hole sized, both were patched and both are holding air.

So now im on the hunt for new rubber and I was very happy with the Duratrac's so I might just go back with them.  I post some picture of the tires in their current state.  but can complain with the performance of this tire with what it was put thru over the last 4 yrs.       

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Duratrac update
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
Hard to beat on a Jeep and good to hear they do well on heavier vehicles. I just upgraded the excursion to cooper atp’s as I didn’t need a tire on it that aggressive.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »
I have been seriously looking at the general grabber ATX or the AT2
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
I have been seriously considering the Kanati trail hogs which share the same pattern as the GoodYear Duratracs for like half the price. They make a load range E tire in the 37" fitment as well as a plethora of other sizes. Give em' a look-see.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:04:46 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 01:26:13 AM »
I hate to jinx it,  but I believe these Grabber X3's are the best tires I've ever owned.  Smooth but not spongy.  Did better in greasy mud than my Nittos, bfgs, and swampers ever did.  All the rain we drove through on the last trip didn't phase them (no hydroplaning) and are holding the balancing so far, up to 110 mph. A little noisy but livable.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
What has always turned me off on the General tires was the weight of the tire, to give example the Duratrac is 12lbs lighter that is significant.  Not saying it’s not a good tire just lots heavier.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
I consider that a plus, not a minus.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:52:22 PM »
I consider that a plus, not a minus.

Yeah, I noticed on the tires I just took off the excursion they were much lighter than the original spare. Spare was E rated and the rest were not. Add in the fact I did cut a sidewalk out on a duratrac and well Ken May be right. The one noted weakness of the duratravs if you ask around are thin sidewalls.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 11:10:34 PM »
Well it helps to always cruz craigslist  before you buy, these followed me home today 265/70/17 which is the factory size the Rams came with.  Guy had just bought these for making an offroad trip and then sold his truck with aftermarket wheel setup.  Buyer did not want these.

They have maybe 3K miles and late 2018 manufacture date.  Mounted on steels with the hubcaps and lugnuts just had to paint them and put them on Balance is good. $300!

As you can see from the pictures the orginal DuraTrac were starting to really chunk, you an also see the height difference supposedly only 1" height and width difference between the 265 vs 285   

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 11:17:11 PM »
Man that was a heck of a score.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 11:26:13 PM »
what I found is the factory rims are pretty much worthless I've seen steels as low as $50 for a set of 4 and the Aluminum go for $100 for a set .  And everyone wants 37-40in tires so they can play in the mulch beds at the mall.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:46 AM »
Ditto Kens comment. Nice score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal