Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327457 times)

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7200 on: July 28, 2018, 11:46:32 PM »
Nice ride!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: July 29, 2018, 10:46:39 AM »
We were at Sid Dillon in Blair. It's a plain Jane model with 120,000 miles. $16,986. It looks black but it's actually a dark blue. They literally just got it in and through the shop. It had not been detailed yet when we test drove it. Wife wanted one with all the bells and whistles but the ones in our price range were all junky or had a million miles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: July 29, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
guess I didn't know sid dillion had that many dealers across this state
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: July 29, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
Daughters came home, hour late on a frontier flight but they made it home safely  :likebutton:

In the process while I camped out at the airport my inlaws showed up... :undecided:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: July 29, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »
Took the kids to a demolition derby today. They also had combines and a kid demo. We go every year. The kids love it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »
Today might have been the last straw in my 20 year exclusive relationship with discount tire.

Recently I bought 4 new trailer tires after buying two sets of custom wheels and tires in the last couple years (dually and the bus). I’ve always bought top of the line stuff from them. Pilot sports on the Benzes and BFG or toyo/nitto on the trucks and Michelin latitudes on the van and suv.

To make it easy I removed the wheel and tire from the trailer so I could drop it off and pick it up later. Waited in line. Left it with them. Got a text saying it was ready. Went to pick it up. Wait in line again.  Wait 25 minutes while they looked for it only to be told they don’t have it and must have given it to the wrong customer.  They are
Supposed to order another wheel and new tire to have here Wednesday.  After some serious ear chewing I did get a loaner wheel and tire to put on the trailer.

Can believe the incompetence. This same store took 6 months to get my replacement dually wheel when the scratched the wheel brand new out of the box. They also lost my center caps and had to order new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: July 30, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
Well at least I got some cool stuff in the mail. 

3 more Boker auto folders.

I love these things as a work knife. Not real expensive at $35-$40 and solid as a rock. Strong spring, metal frame and slabs.  I beat on them like Ike Turner beat Tina and they hold up well. I do tend to lose them so having a few around is a good thing

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: July 30, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
Charles, good help is hard to find. And it’s a tire shop, I’d probably let it go.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: July 30, 2018, 08:54:04 PM »
As long as they make it right, I wouldn't let it ruin your day. They do an insane amount of business, and things tend to happen. I've had issues with my local Discount, but still wouldn't go anywhere else.
You know we have a knife thread right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: July 30, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
Well you guys are no help for my pity party.....

Thanks for the perspective.  My time is the most valuable thing I have and its more about the time than anything.

Ken, not sure these knives rate being in a dedicated knife thread....At $35 I consider them almost disposable....

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: July 30, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
Hey Ken, by any change do you know if the Denali I just got has a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes?  I would assume so since it has the trailer brake controller?  It's at the shop having a couple places on the stone sheild touched up so I can't look at it at the moment.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7211 on: July 30, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Not Ken but the 2017 I test drove before I bought the Rebel did. It was recessed into the bumper. It was a SLT, not a Denali. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Got some good news from the ATF. Hunting season will be a little quieter in my neck of the woods this year.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:12:46 PM by longball »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: July 30, 2018, 09:25:41 PM »
Charles, it’s a fancy GM probably not on the 7 pin. They reserve those for trucks meant to work!  :popcorn:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: July 30, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »
If it has the controler built in the dash, then it has the 7 pin recessed into the bumper by the plate, and ill bet it even has the flat 4 on the other side of the 7 pin
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #7214 on: July 30, 2018, 09:30:48 PM »
1:20 of this video shows both the 7 pin and the flat connector in the rear bumper.
https://youtu.be/rTYmTfdzs1c

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: July 30, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys (except for you Shawn) :stickpoke: (can't find one!)

I'm going to add brakes to my utility trailer when I re do the wood in the floor and I wanted to make sure

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:47:52 PM by JR »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: July 30, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
Thanks guys (except for you Shawn) :stickpoke

I'm going to add brakes to my utility trailer when I re do the wood in the floor and I wanted to make sure

or you could just add a hydraulic setup and forget about it (in that new jersey dialec)!  :facepalm:

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: July 30, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »
Shawn is just like my buddy who just bought a F-150 last weekend and wore a Ford t-shirt to my daughter’s bday bbq yesterday just to egg me on... almost went and put on my Chevrolet shirt.

I was at discount today, too. Second time in a week and a half to have the tires on the Acadia balanced again before our road trip this coming weekend. Half an ounce out on LF and RR. Little annoyed I had to go back, but it is what it is. Last time I was there one tire was a few lbs low, had to fix that when I got home.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:26 AM »
I’m a hat kinda guy.... :tongue:

Here’s something interesting locally, DT has been a fixture longer than I have lived here. Les Schwab is now building a new store across the highway a 1/4 mile up the road.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: July 31, 2018, 09:08:01 AM »
schwab is a dang good tire joint.....just ask tate
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:07:20 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: July 31, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
Until they charge ya to switch companies and $200 later

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: August 01, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »
Started framing this week on a 9000 sqr shop

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: August 01, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »
Started framing this week on a 9000 sqr shop

Explain?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: August 01, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
This is the first of many walls. 2x6 8 foot tall, building in some offices for our excavation company on the main floor and building a second floor for more offices.  I’ll take more tomorrow we finished most of it today. I took the photo because I was happy my wall stood up straight and flat on a floor sloped for drainage.

Also had a tragedy at work yesterday.  I’ll post the link

Here:
https://www.standard.net/news/local/box-elder-man-killed-tuesday-afternoon-in-farr-west-car/article_9ab6a66b-6cf4-51ad-b081-f54bee72bf65.html

The driver was one of the excavation company employees in the big rig.  Still very little known as to what the deal was.   

A very good reminder to tighten our belts and use good driving practices.   DOT has been sniffing the office all day today where I was framing.   Lookin in trucks and equipment, even asked for my insurance for my truck. 

I do have some towing questions I’ll follow up with later

Tex still have the red sled?  Might have a buyer

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: August 01, 2018, 10:51:41 PM »
What are your questions?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »
Sorry for the loss, copy on the offices. Was wondering if it wasn’t someone’s home you were building in that shop. Wife and I would love to do that some day.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: August 01, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
Still have the sled. Trying to find time to get the windshield replaced.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »
Sorry for the loss, copy on the offices. Was wondering if it wasn’t someone’s home you were building in that shop. Wife and I would love to do that some day.
I think it would be really doable. 

What is my max bumper pull weight on my 2007 ccsb duramax

With DOT sniffing around a lot the boss is questioning what we should be pulling,
In my manual if I am reading it correctly it says 22000 max gvw.  Is that truck+ towing? 

Does this weight amount change if it as hooked to a goose neck hitch vs my bumper? 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: August 02, 2018, 12:33:45 AM »
Dave, the newer DOT rules are a bit fuzzy to me and I’m sure someone who deals with it often will clear it up. I do know that our 1 ton dually trucks hooked to a 25k GN we’re viewed as a semi and required a cdl (again fuzzy as I cannot recall the class if it was A or B etc). I’m guessing the 22k is combined, probably makes a difference on 3/4 ton versus 1 ton too.

The other thing is your truck is personally owned and their are rules that go along with that as well. For instance my personal 1 ton could pull my personal enclosed GN but the company owned truck could not pull that same GN without the required CDL even by owner of company of said truck.

And part of the reason this is fuzzy is that when the new DOT rules came thru & after getting pinched a couple times we hired and outside consulting firm who specialized in such matters to help fight the fines and get us in compliance. So her and my secretary / records keeper worked on this a lot more than I.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:38:05 AM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: August 02, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »
It will vary state to state also. But as Sean said, personal vs commercial towing is looked at diff in many states. POV with a company trailer on the clock would be commercial.

GVW is truck and trailer with the proper hitch and tires. I do not think the stock hitch/bumper on our trucks will handle what the truck can pull.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: August 02, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
Iirc the max bumper pull was 10,500 on that ccsb

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: August 02, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2001_GMC_Sierra_Manual_en_CA.pdf

Page 290 as you scroll through on your phone

10,500 was the 6.0 l
12,000 with WD hitch for the ccsb diesel

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: August 02, 2018, 07:37:38 AM »
I did replace the factory garbage hutch with a curt when I purchased out enclosed trailer so that is mended Jr, 

As far as me pulling the dump trailer or flat bed or box trailer I am unsure of these rules.  The boss is a little sketched out after the Accident and is looking at liability of such things.  A new truck for him is in order I think and toying with him getting a dual or what I don’t know.   But also making sure I cover my own butt.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: August 02, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
Dave, the newer DOT rules are a bit fuzzy to me and I’m sure someone who deals with it often will clear it up. I do know that our 1 ton dually trucks hooked to a 25k GN we’re viewed as a semi and required a cdl (again fuzzy as I cannot recall the class if it was A or B etc). I’m guessing the 22k is combined, probably makes a difference on 3/4 ton versus 1 ton too.

The other thing is your truck is personally owned and their are rules that go along with that as well. For instance my personal 1 ton could pull my personal enclosed GN but the company owned truck could not pull that same GN without the required CDL even by owner of company of said truck.

And part of the reason this is fuzzy is that when the new DOT rules came thru & after getting pinched a couple times we hired and outside consulting firm who specialized in such matters to help fight the fines and get us in compliance. So her and my secretary / records keeper worked on this a lot more than I.

It will vary state to state also. But as Sean said, personal vs commercial towing is looked at diff in many states. POV with a company trailer on the clock would be commercial.

GVW is truck and trailer with the proper hitch and tires. I do not think the stock hitch/bumper on our trucks will handle what the truck can pull.

Shawn and JR hit the nail on the head.  if you are pulling personaly then you are not subject to as many strick rules as you are commercially. 

dave, here is the reality of that accident: 

- That truck is is going to be gone over with a fine tooth comb and everthing that is found to be wrong or broken a fine will be issued,

- every piece of paperwork that goes with that truck will be processed, every maintenance record will be processed,

- every pre-trip and post trip inspection will be processed,

- every ounce of weight that that truck was carrying will be processed,

- that drivers breath and blood will be processed,

- that drivers medication whether perscribed or over the counter will be processed,

-if that driver has a CPAP machine they will process the data card of that machine,

- that drivers residency status will be processed,

- that drivers language will be processed

and in the end, "IF" (and thats a big "IF") that vehicle and driver pass everything, the driver will most likely still be deamed at fault.  why you ask?  because DOT laws are written by worthless oxygen thieves who either go to work everyday in their prius (cars are known as 4 wheelers) or on a bus and have no concept of what it is that they are trying to make a law about..........let alone all of the years where JACKASS MORON truck drivers willingly and blatantly broke the law just to make and extra $$$!  but in general, the trucking industry has done a good portion of this to themselves.

my recommendation to you would be to STOP PULLING WORK TRAILERS with your privately owned truck and use the company trucks.

you are your first line of safety, if something is not safe and you do it anyways then you are the only one to blame when something goes wrong or breaks.     

and TRN answered the weight question while I was typing this
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:01:42 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: August 02, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
the above is/was everything that I had to teach new drivers when they were attempting to get their CDL

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: August 02, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Nate, for the Record it wasn’t jacka** truck drivers as much as it is owners who were pushing the boundaries to make extra money. Regardless of what we did or were instructed to do my salary and our drivers never made more.

& I realize what you were saying, just a clarification.

Like was stated, best bet is not to pull company equipment with personal truck. Again I understand been there done that too.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: August 02, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
Copy and thank you all for advise

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: August 02, 2018, 10:40:52 AM »
My son got stopped by Mi DOT for that same thing, He had the work 07 Dodge dually  and the 14000gvw bumper pull trailer. He got a ticket for no CDL because truck is 12,200 GVW and trailer 14,000 GVW so over according to officer. But!! truck is only rated for 22,500 CGWR !! Officer Didn't want to here it, and he only had about 2000lbs on the trailer at the time!!  So he had to go to court with the owners manual and the Judge threw it out at least his Boss supported him and went to court with him and was going to par the ticket if they didn't throw it out.  I'm all for use the work truck for liability reasons!!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
dave, here is the FMCSA website.  this is the federal regulation that covers what we are talking about, but it is not a catch all and remember that states can "add to but not take away from" the FMCSA regulations.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Nate, for the Record it wasn’t jacka** truck drivers as much as it is owners who were pushing the boundaries to make extra money. Regardless of what we did or were instructed to do my salary and our drivers never made more.

& I realize what you were saying, just a clarification.

Like was stated, best bet is not to pull company equipment with personal truck. Again I understand been there done that too.

you are correct shawn, a majority of the drivers in that profession are/were honest.  just like anything/anywhere else you are going to have your bad folks. 

I truly feel bad for the DOT industry, because for decades there was not a lot of oversight and or things put into place to prevent such tragedies from happening, and then all of a sudden there is too much oversight/over stepping of bounds by the feds.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:14:58 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: August 02, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »
I was a truck mech for a couple years and ran with them a little in the 80's. I could drive anything when I was 18. Kept it all up for work until I retired, just to much to keep them as a civi.

Breaking the rules was the game. Drugs, booze, overweight and running fast. Lots of good ones out there too. The rules make it tough now.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: August 02, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
You had professionals at one point in time, society has changed.

I knew of a local outlaw trucker as a kid who had his rigs impounded out of state and they broke them out of the impound lot more than once. Couple times he went to the auction and bought them back versus paying the fines even.

With that said he took care of his equipment. He’d double load on a haul from Indiana to Cali regularly, he always sent a set of wheel bearings with the driver and had them changed out in Cali....

Cleanest looking trucks on the road too. Double the pay half the work, minus parts....  :popcorn:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: August 02, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
East bound and down....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: August 02, 2018, 03:20:36 PM »
Oh yeah, changed a few bearings in my time. Overweight and driving long hours were the biggest.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: August 02, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »
Dave, and I think your truck has a 15k gooseneck rating.

Finally got the lml sotf upgrade, before they disappear from the states. Only thing is that it came with the hiss tunes, instead of the rumble I had before.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:41:56 PM by KensAuto »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: August 03, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
Copy and thank you all for advise

Dave,

Unfortunately DOT will be the least of the owners worries with a fatality. I'm surprised he hasn't already been hit with a civil lawsuit with papers to save every document associated with his business.

The paper article states the driver loss control. It looks like the day was bright and no inclement weather so most likely speed was a factor.

Couldn't tell the age of the truck or if it has an ECM module on the engine but they will pull it if it is there.  They will also focus on his phone. Was he distracted while driving? Texting or talking on phone? Looking up something? All bad.

They will also go through every other driver for the company and try to construct a pattern of neglect or poor management of unsafe drivers. So if there isn't a DOCUMENTED safety and discipline policy and then actual records of enforcement of that policy that will show that the company doesn't care about safety and kills people. It isn't about reality, it's about what they can get a jury to believe. In this day and age they will believe almost anything.

Hopefully the driver didn't say anything or make any statements. Hopefully the company responded quickly to the accident and have their attorney already handling everything.

A fatality accident can be millions of dollars. The deceased was only 33. So they will try to paint a picture of all of the earnings and POTENTIAL $$$ he could have earned and try to make them pay plus damages to family. It is a terrible situation.

I agree with the others about liability and using your personal vehicle for work. At the end of the day when it comes to money no matter what your employer tells you, in an event like this you will be hung out to dry and it's every man for himself. Especially when they see a threat to their very existence and continued viability as a company. The plaintiffs attorneys would come after you and everything you own whether its right or not they don't care. They are digging for the biggest payday for the law firm.

Sorry for the loss and the hell everyone is going to go through.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: August 03, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
Eastbound and down (err, up I guess). Montana here we come. Left the house at 5:15am.

Spend the weekend in Whitefish visiting my brother than head south to Dave’s neck of the woods to visit my sister in Park City.

Ryan

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: August 03, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »
Visiting Glacier? Love that area, God’s country, so beautiful! Have a safe trip.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: August 03, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
Yup we’ll be hitting up Glacier and Going-to-the-sun road. In Post Falls, ID now for lunch.

Ryan

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: August 03, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »
Lunch at the Cabela's? lol yeah, noticed it when i crossed the border a couple weeks back.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: August 03, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
Lunch at the Cabela's? lol yeah, noticed it when i crossed the border a couple weeks back.

Buffalo and Elk burgers!!!

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal