Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sig P227 SAS and other assorted purchase plans  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Jonm1911

• Registered
    • View Profile
Sig P227 SAS and other assorted purchase plans
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
Got to Gander Mountain Friday night and finally got to fondle a 227. Yep, that's my next pistol. I love Sigs, more so than my Glocks. I've been wanting a better carry option in .45 than my 1911. I can conceal the 1911 fine, but mag capacity is lacking. The 227 Carry model, has standard 10 round mags in the same sized package as a 229, with the option of 14 round extended mags. I have the 229E2 model that came out a few years ago and I love it, but the SAS is REALLY nice. Rounded edges, no rail, made specifically for carry as opposed to being tacticool. So do want. I think it'll be the Christmas present from the parents actually, though I'll be ordering it through Sig so I get the .mil discount. I'll end up getting the full sized too at some point. Funny story about being at Gander though, actually two things. I'm from Ohio, spent lots of time both in the city and in the country. Now I'm in NC, stationed at Bragg. I have NEVER seen so many people OC than here. The first time was when I first got here over a year ago. I was in Walmart and there was this heavy set guy, wearing a neon green sweatshirt, with his Glock right there. I'm like, really? I swear every time I go into that Walmart, I see people OC'ing. And its not hillbilly Walmart, its near a huge shopping area and a high end, only open for holidays, club. So I was in Gander and this couple comes walking in, looking like they just got out of a IDPA match. I almost asked, What the heck is up with all you people OC'ing? You do realize if I was a criminal, I'd shoot you first right? Granted not in Gander, because that'd be stupid, but Walmart, sure. I'm all for OC'ing when in the boonies, but around town...oh well. Also, I about laughed in the face of the dude at the counter. We were talking about Glocks and how I liked Sigs better. He said they'd give me $200 for my Gen4 17....HA. I told him I don't sell guns except to family and I would be keeping it.

Also while I was there, I looked at some .270 Winchesters. Never been hunting, but I've been thinking about doing some this season. Been reading a lot about what round to start with. Given the versatility of the round and the availability of different loads, I think I'll be getting something in .270. They had a few Savages in the $500 range that came with scopes, but I'll prolly just get the base model and add my own scope.

And finally, when tax returns roll around next year, I'll be building another AR. Parts list below for those who might be interested.

BCM BFH 16” mid length upper with 13” KMR
AAC Blackout
Magpul BUIS
Rainier Arms Charging handle
Magpul CTR
BCM stock kit
Magpul ASAP
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul enhanced trigger guard
BCM Gunfighter KAG Keymod
EOTECH EXPS3-0
Geissele Super Dynamic – Combat trigger

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Sig P227 SAS and other assorted purchase plans
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »
Only thing better than an AR is another AR. :thumbsup
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
I liked going to Jim's Pawn shop when I was there. See all kinds of nice things. There were other places but I can't remember their names or street's they used to be on. I know Jim's was on Yadkin.

Yadkin.. cross between Indy, Daytona 500, demo derby and drag strip...good times.

BCM 13” KMR

Have you looked at Midwest Industries 13" KMR? If I am remembering right they are lighter, a bit cheaper, still durable and as of last time I checked they are all in stock.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:17:18 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Jonm1911

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
I liked going to Jim's Pawn shop when I was there. See all kinds of nice things. There were other places but I can't remember their names or street's they used to be on. I know Jim's was on Yadkin.

Yadkin.. cross between Indy, Daytona 500, demo derby and drag strip...good times.

BCM 13” KMR

Have you looked at Midwest Industries 13" KMR? If I am remembering right they are lighter, a bit cheaper, still durable and as of last time I checked they are all in stock.

I'll have to check them out. My buddy has picked up a few deals at the local pawn shops. I know where Jim's is, right near Yadkin and Skibo. The BCM is actually their whole Reece upper, I just abbreviated it for my records. I really want their full rifle, but with 3 stripped lowers at home, its pointless to buy a whole rifle.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
I'll have to check them out. My buddy has picked up a few deals at the local pawn shops. I know where Jim's is, right near Yadkin and Skibo. The BCM is actually their whole Reece upper, I just abbreviated it for my records. I really want their full rifle, but with 3 stripped lowers at home, its pointless to buy a whole rifle.

The Reece is a nice rifle. Yea might as well use the ones at home. Skibo, I couldn't remember the road that Yadkin ran into.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »

BCM 13” KMR

Bought my M1A at Jim's
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
Bought my M1A at Jim's

I should've bought one. I was looking at one made in 1988, all G.I parts.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Sig P227 SAS and other assorted purchase plans
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
Can't wait to see what OC looks like in Texas come January. I'm with you. OC may be a right but it's not wise.

If I were to have only one rifle for hunting or all around use I'd probably get a 300WSM. Loaded lightly with light bullets it won't tear you or a deer up. Loaded up heavy and it'll take anything in this continent.  That's the next build on my list. 7lb ultralight 300WSM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:43:47 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Jonm1911

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
Can't wait to see what OC looks like in Texas come January. I'm with you. OC may be a right but it's not wise.

If I were to have only one rifle for hunting or all around use I'd probably get a 300WSM. Loaded lightly with light bullets it won't tear you or a deer up. Loaded up heavy and it'll take anything in this continent.  That's the next build on my list. 7lb ultralight 300WSM.

Yeah, on the eventual planner, is either a 300WSM or a 338 Lapua. Not sure which yet.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 10:14:29 PM »
The 338 is way cool. Not very practical and very expensive to shoot. I like shooting them, especially when they are someone else's.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »
If I were to have only one rifle for hunting or all around use I'd probably get a 300WSM.

Why? Because you can find boxes of ammo practically everywhere. From WalMart to Uncle Don's Crazy Super Awesome middle of No-Where Last Stop for 100 miles bait shop..

And I saw a Remington 700 in 30.06 with a wood stock, nothing special or tacticool, just seemed to say, "you know you want to own this."

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:17:48 PM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »
Ya know Bobby, you are starting to make sense.  Might get kicked out of WI for using such good common sense.

Not a bad round.  Might have to go plug that into my ballistics calculator just to see.  Never owned one but shot a few.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 08:39:12 PM »
It's really just a longer .308

Didn't that Marine sniper make his famous kill shot, N Vietnamese general with a 30.06?

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »

Didn't that Marine sniper make his famous kill shot, N Vietnamese general with a 30.06?
Carlos hathcock

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »

Carlos hathcock

SSG Hathcock...Yea, that's him

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
I don't own a 30.06 but I would say its the most available and versatile  rifle round in north America. That said I'm a .270 guy

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »
I don't own a 30.06 but I would say its the most available and versatile  rifle round in north America. That said I'm a .270 guy

Could be starting a wild fire here, but with the proliferation of the M16 variants, I think the 5.56 might be king of commonplace. However it in no way competes with the utility of a good .30 cal round.

Arguably I might even go as far as saying the Rusky 7.62 X 39 might now days out muscle in sheer numbers, the old 30.06.
So many SKS and AK's floating around...
I forgot, but I have my brothers 30.06 in my gun case, so I guess there's one in this house as well...have to get that thing back to him

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »
And that .270 trumped my favorite long range gun, my .264 Winchester magnum.

I used to just love shooting that gun. Bought it in Germany in 1982 and proudly mounted up a jager 4 X 12 X 56 scope with a cool night reticle. (You can hunt at night in Germany)

It is a Remington 700BDL looking almost as good as the day I purchased it for $269!

Have it up for sale right now at a local gun store

The .270 eclipses the .264 magnum's performance. By all rights, the 270 is a magnum and one great long range shooter.

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
You might very well be right in sheer numbers... But I did notice during the great gun selloff of '12-13 I regularly seen 30.06 and .270 on shelves

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
You might very well be right in sheer numbers... But I did notice during the great gun selloff of '12-13 I regularly seen 30.06 and .270 on shelves

Yea, me too...and I saw that Aim surplus where I purchase my bulk ammo actually was selling off some surplus Korean 30.06 during all that craziness. In fact all I recall seeing was the .06 and that 7.62 X 54 Russian stone age stuff

Got shot at by one of those one day...dammed thing...

and my buddy's co pilot got shot in the butt!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:36:51 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:08 PM »

Yea, me too...and I saw that Aim surplus where I purchase my bulk ammo actually was selling off some surplus Korean 30.06 during all that craziness. In fact all I recall seeing was the .06 and that 7.62 X 54 Russian stone age stuff

Sorry about your buddy.

Funny you say something about the dinosaur 54r, I shot a buddy's mosin this weekend. That gun is terrible. My hats off to all those rusky's during ww2 I wouldn't want to shoot that all day everyday

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2015, 03:36:49 AM »
Ya know Bobby, you are starting to make sense.  Might get kicked out of WI for using such good common sense.

I have my moments.

It is a Remington 700BDL looking almost as good as the day I purchased it for $269!

NOO!

7.62 X 54 Russian stone age stuff

7.62x54R (rimmed) is the longest continually serving military round.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:39:41 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »

Sorry about your buddy.

Funny you say something about the dinosaur 54r, I shot a buddy's mosin this weekend. That gun is terrible. My hats off to all those rusky's during ww2 I wouldn't want to shoot that all day everyday

Buddy's co-pilot turned out OK, sniper got him, just like he almost got all of us over in the Hellmand valley one day.
My friend had a Lt Colonel flying co pilot with him, C130's into Baghdad international. this colonel was out at night outside the hesko barriers standing too close to a light...not too bright (Get it...not to BRITE ;-) and whack, bullet hits him in the butt cheek. Just a flesh wound and a good story is all.

Same dumb thing down at Camp Geresk. Out messing around near the gate when that all to familiar super-sonic crack of a bullet disturbs the calm. Found some 7.62 X 54 brass later on. Figured it was a Moisin or possible a Draganov with a drunk shooter

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 09:24:15 AM »

I have my moments.

NOO!

7.62 X 54 Russian stone age stuff

7.62x54R (rimmed) is the longest continually serving military round.

What...Keep it?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
What...Keep it?

Why not? Pass it down to the younger ones.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
Yeah.  What Bobby said.  Bobby is younger than you, right??

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
Yeah.  What Bobby said.  Bobby is younger than you, right??

Reality yes..

How I feel when I get up the morning after working out or running, or the morning after the upcoming 22 miler.... I feel old.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
What...Keep it?

Why not? Pass it down to the younger ones.
That's what momma says too!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 04:23:44 PM »
That's what momma says too!

Well then..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
Got to Gander Mountain Friday night and finally got to fondle a 227. Yep, that's my next pistol.

So did you end up snagging the 227?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal