Hello Guest

Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 5444 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Thoughts.
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
http://www.lot-of-deals.com/programs/carlotpage.cgi?20031168157_377

Have someone going to check it out for me today probably. Need more opinions. Last year of the 7.3
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:01:34 AM »
If it's in good shape motor wise, it's got another 300,000 left in it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
Seems high price wise for 200,000 and the visible wear to the driver's seat.  Photo of engine bay would give you a better idea of how it was kept before going up for sale- everyone cleans the outside and interior.  More details on the "tuner" might give you better insight- a tuner on a truck owned by Don or RN is one thing, a tuner on a truck owned by my 23yr old son would be a "NO THANKS" for me.

I do know the PowerStrokes were plagued with major issues, some years much worse than others- of course within those years, many didn't have one problem, so hard to say!  If you're serious, I'd knock them down on price to say $10,250 - price out a replacement on the driver's seat alone; should be enough justification, especially if heated.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:24:49 AM »
^^^I think an 03 7.3 is one of the good years

I owned a 94 7.3PS and that was a pretty good truck both on road and in deep creeks when I'd hunt the illusive green landscaping stone and way down in a big ole quarry when I'd hunt the "Irregularly shaped rock" also for the landscaping. That 7.3 never coughed and got really good mileage. Mine was a 5 speed and a 4.10 gear with 33's
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
Seems high price wise for 200,000 and the visible wear to the driver's seat.  Photo of engine bay would give you a better idea of how it was kept before going up for sale- everyone cleans the outside and interior.  More details on the "tuner" might give you better insight- a tuner on a truck owned by Don or RN is one thing, a tuner on a truck owned by my 23yr old son would be a "NO THANKS" for me.

I do know the PowerStrokes were plagued with major issues, some years much worse than others- of course within those years, many didn't have one problem, so hard to say!  If you're serious, I'd knock them down on price to say $10,250 - price out a replacement on the driver's seat alone; should be enough justification, especially if heated.

I was thinking about $10,xxx ish. The seats are heated. I looked at the interior and the seats could be sewn, even by me and my limited sewing skills, until I can get them recovered. The motor looked ok, naturally it was cleaned by the dealership. I didn't get an in depth check up since it was late afternoon on Sunday. I'll hear more from my buddy later on today probably. As for the tuner, I"m going to call the dealership and ask them for more info, just haven't gotten a chance yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:37:30 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »
Does it make sense to have the oil analyzed? I know enough about that procedure to be dangerous but I believe it can uncover a lot of what lurks beneath the rocker covers. I just don't know how fast it can be done or how much it costs.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
Seems a bit high. Just remember, you need to be able to fix it if something goes wrong, and just because the 7.3 is a decent engine, everything on it can still go bad....High Pressure Oil pump, and everything tied into that system is a little pricey....including injectors. At 200k you never know what's about to fail until it happens.
Not to be negative...but....
Everyone always brags on the 7.3, and compared to the 6.0 it is a great setup, especially the last few years of production, but it is not bulletproof.
What am I sayin?  try and leave an emergency fund in your wallet if possible.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
Ha, yes.  Ken, recall my "cherry" 125K 2001 LB7?  $14,000 in repairs later and I've almost got a decent truck.

Oil analysis, coolant analysis, transmission analysis and service history would be on my list of things to look at.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »
Try to see if it's a credible dealer, or if they just flip auction trucks.

Case in point, I could have filled TRN on the local reputation of where he bought his LB7 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Kyle, you really know how to kick a man, when he's down, bro.  You wanna kick my cat too while you're at it???
LOL.  Northwest Motorsports in Pyuallap or whatever the name of that town is....sucks.  I don't care if some ex pro baseball player owns it

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Thoughts.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
Aww you're not down anymore... That truck could be in a magazine boss. Both of em!

Funny thing is that all the dealers around are following suit and setting up shop real close. Big lifted trucks... People buy em cuz they cuz finance the whole package. For better or worse

I almost bought a Yukon from them about 8 yrs ago, and they tried to pull a fast one on me with a 'fix' to some body bushing that I swore was the transmission... And was.

Didn't mean to rub salt :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:39:27 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
Just poking.  I'm old enough now to admit it was my fault for not "trusting but verifying"

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 10:10:19 PM »
Kyle, you really know how to kick a man, when he's down, bro.  You wanna kick my cat too while you're at it???
LOL.  Northwest Motorsports in Pyuallap or whatever the name of that town is....sucks.  I don't care if some ex pro baseball player owns it
You own a cat?

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Just poking.  I'm old enough now to admit it was my fault for not "trusting but verifying"

Those guys have a terrible reputation, sorry to hear about your bad experience out here.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »
that's what I told him a year ago when he told me where he got it from.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »
You own a cat?
two actually.  And paid money for them, if you can believe that.  Well, I guess that's not a leap after the money thrown at that LB7...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
Beautiful animals!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:17 AM »
Now that's a cute pose. If I can really say that...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
is that a Bengal on the right? Beautiful cats. We almost got one for free but the entire litter contracted some disease and all died. settled on our two free Himalayans which are a blast with the 90lb lab who is scared s-less of them.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 08:41:13 PM »
Very cool.  They are actually Egyptian Maus,  The black male was a BOGO, (buy one get one free).  They have a certain gene combination that makes them silver, smoke or bronze.  When they have two dominant genes they come out black.  They are shown for their spots so the black ones are not worth anything to the breeders so they give them free to those that purchase a spotted one.  Hard to see but he actually has ghost spots.  You can see the striping that matches the female a bit in this picture
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:44:33 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »
I recognize it now. my mother had one of those. you can faintly see the ghost spots on the male; leave it to the guy to get the custom hot rod paint job!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 01:49:31 PM »
so now that we have talked about cats on bobbys thread, whats the status of the furd bobby?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
Oh yeah, almost forgot what it was about. Lol.
He did put it in the D.O.T. section though, so it should be expected.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
so now that we have talked about cats on bobbys thread, whats the status of the furd bobby?

About cats : I hate them.

About the 7.3 : Buddy hasn't gone and looked at it yet. I called the dealership. They have no records of prior maintenance, only what they did. The "tune" was a plug and flash. I'm still looking.

Oh yeah, almost forgot what it was about. Lol.
He did put it in the D.O.T. section though, so it should be expected.

Doesn't bother me when things go off tangent.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/ctd/5169486809.html

So maybe? yes? no? Price went from $9300 (rounded to even number) to $7900 (rounded to be even). Obviously I'd offer less and see what'd happen.

OldKooT

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
Not that it's of any great help.... but if any of you are looking for a Diesel pickup, most any brand/age don't be afraid to PM me and ask. We have a local fella here who runs a small dealership that specializes in solid decent work trucks. He's a honest guy with a good reputation and he often has some extremely nice clean pampered trucks.

Around here farmers and ranchers usually own two trucks. What we call the "work truck" usually beat to death, hail mauled, and bent everywhere, and our "going for coffee truck" which often times end up as low mileage trades that were garage kept baby's. He specializes in those going to town type trucks.

Last I drove by he had a fair selection of Duramax trucks, and some nice Fords. He gets Dodges in but they are sold FAST.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 11:02:09 AM »
see if you can get him to post up some of what he has in our for sale section?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »
Bobby, that's a lot of miles, but I'm no expert on how long the D-Max is good for

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
Bobby, that's a lot of miles, but I'm no expert on how long the D-Max is good for
I agree with Don, simply on is it a one owner truck, are there records available from a maintenance point, etc?
Not sure what engine model is in it, and off the top of my head not sure if the injector issues relate to a 2001, or if they are an issue once replaced.
Someone will know those answers of the top of their head here for sure though, (Ken maybe).
I don't think the mileage is a concern if it has been looked after, as there are many on the road in the 5-600K range.

I'm nearly at 200K with mine, its been beat on by me since new (not abused, but certainly not babied), and is still a solid truck.
Given my location, I need to stay on top of things to keep it reliable, and do.
I plan to keep it forever, or until it gets wrecked. I would probably look for another in the same vintage, or slightly newer for a replacement.

Without seeing and driving it's very hard to speculate on its condition.
the picture looks good, but that is only just that, a picture.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:33 AM »
Not sure what engine model is in it, and off the top of my head not sure if the injector issues relate to a 2001, or if they are an issue once replaced.
Someone will know those answers of the top of their head here for sure though, (Ken maybe).

Would definitely want to know the injector replacement/warranty history since it's a LB7. Would also want to check balance rates on current injectors. Looks like a pretty clean truck though!
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
I haven't actually gone and given it an in depth checking. It's been sitting next to the highway and I see it on the weekends when I head up north. It just happened to re-appear on CL with a lowered price. I'd rather have a Cummins in all honesty.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal