Author Topic: CarFax  (Read 2157 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
CarFax
« on: June 29, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »
This isn't a real DOT post, per say.

Does anyone have access to CarFax? I've been thinking about getting the unlimited VIN check option, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone else already has it.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CarFax
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »
I don't.  What you wanna look up?  Buying or selling?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:09:16 AM »
I don't.  What you wanna look up?  Buying or selling?

Was going to use it and look up used trucks histories.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:59:52 AM »
I see.  Most used car dealers will provide it.  Buying from an individual is a different matter.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:30 AM »
I see.  Most used car dealers will provide it.  Buying from an individual is a different matter.

It was going to be in case of buying from an individual.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
Bobby, you probably know this, but Carfax isn't always effective in telling the story of a car. If somethings been done in a small shop, or across the border, etc., it won't be in the system. I think now (unlike 10 years ago) most insurance claims, as well as major repairs at a dealer, are in the system.
I tell my customers to bring a prospective vehicle purchase by my place first to have a look-see.....number one place to look for damage (and probably the most important) is under the hood. The fender attachment bolts will look disturbed, or grill mounts, etc.
Heck, I had a real nice Honda come in one time, for a/c work. Long story short, I found water lines in the dash....about where the steering column is!! This was the same time shady guys were selling Katrina cars around the nation.
Other than those water marks, we would have never known....the car was that nice, and clean.
Anywho, if you can, run it buy your mechanic first, for an evaluation.....you'll be thankful later.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
I agree, CarFax is very useful, but only tells part of the story.

I have a story, kind of the inverse of that... didn't find a bad surprise, found a good surprise. I was looking at a 2008 Chevy Silverado LTZ half-ton, 2 trucks ago. Was in great shape, darn near flawless, low miles... seemed way under-priced. Looked at the car fax and it said "front end collision". Dang, big red flag right. But when i took it to my mechanic and put it up on the hoist, everything underneath was factory original except the daggum tow hooks and the bumper. All suspension was original, tie rods had never even been adjusted, fenders and hood were original. I suspect that folks were afraid of the truck because of the "collision", but it was one of those deals where it looked like a minor fender bender that got rubber stamped as wrecked... Turned out to be a great truck! I drove it for a few years before trading up to a diesel.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Good point Kyle. It can go both ways.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Oh I have plans to get them checked by a mechanic, but since alot of people list the VIN's, I was thinking about running them prior to going to look at the vehicle. Compile the lists as it were.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:13:49 PM »
Would be super handy for sure Bobby. I know on duramaxes, particularly earlier gens, folks are really keen to see if injector replacement (LB7) or head gasket replacement (LLY) had been done. The CarFax will often show that especially when the dealer has no maintenance records from the previous owner. I will always CarFax a vehicle of any substantial value before purchase.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
see if injector replacement (LB7) or head gasket replacement (LLY) had been done.

One of the reasons.. lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal