TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > What are you building?

Composite basement wall panel

(1/13) > >>

Flyin6:
OK, I've been thinking again

No, no fires, smoke, or injuries just yet...

So everyone following the hide site thread knows that I excavated a "Keyhole" for a future underground utility/mechanical space.

The more I ask for someone to put in a concrete pad or block wall, the more I feel uneasy about actually getting anyone to do it.

First, no one answers their phone. Secondly, everyone working concrete has been to or is currently in jail. Finally everyone who bids the job thinks that they need to pad their retirement savings on this job alone.

Case in point: The last guy I asked to simply pour a 16' X 12' pad said he would do it for $550. No, that did not include any concrete, or any steel, or any forms, no, none of that! I was asked to provide all that. All he was going to do was to show up for the pour and I guess get me screeded, and smoothed! ...$550 for that! I asked him which brand campaign he wanted me to serve as well. He didn't get it!

OK, I can easily pour that pad, and I guess I'll have to since no one (who isn't incarcerated) wants to work. But onto the block wall, or poured wall, or whatever wall. I don't really like block walls. The farm house 100 feet away has a failing block basement wall, so that's reason enough not to build one. I don't really know how to lay up a block wall, and my experience in getting things square and level is, well, a bit lacking.

Block wall guys, are, well, let's just say they seem to be the concrete guy's first cousins.

So I am back to doing something myself...Which got me thinking

The neighbors house across the street from my WTB (way too big) primary residence has basement walls which were panels. Seems they were 2 X 6 with some panel on the exterior, a foam core, and perhaps some concrete mixed in just cause they could...

Then I got to messin' with this Formular rigid board stuff...And that got me to thinkin' a bit more.

What if, the Warrant Officer thinks...What if I invent a wall panel myself?

What if I framed up a 2 X 6 panels with a pressure treated 2 X 8 base plate? What if I covered that with the Formular followed by a sheet of 1/2" OSB to which I attached some chicken wire or lat, then troweled on a thin layer of cement mortar...? What if I did that? Wouldn't that be pretty sturdy? Wouldn't that serve as a ready made panel that I could throw up like a lego set, fastening each to the other? Then chase that with a good waterproof material rolled onto the outside, then provide for some really good base drainage.

Seems if I did all that, I just might have a ready made basement wall to which I could attach a roof and call it all good...seems to me...

cudakidd53:
They already make a modular styrofoam form that snaps together like that wired together that they pour the concrete into and leave in place.  Saw it on This Old House few years ago

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: cudakidd53 on November 20, 2016, 02:46:21 PM ---They already make a modular styrofoam form that snaps together like that wired together that they pour the concrete into and leave in place.  Saw it on This Old House few years ago

--- End quote ---
A MSWF.

Never thought of that

But concrete cracks, which then leaks, something I was wanting to get away from

Work with me here...DBCBW! (Don built composite basement wall)

stlaser:
Concrete walls only leak because of poor drainage, not because of cracks.....

Sammconn:

--- Quote from: cudakidd53 on November 20, 2016, 02:46:21 PM ---They already make a modular styrofoam form that snaps together like that wired together that they pour the concrete into and leave in place.  Saw it on This Old House few years ago

--- End quote ---

Back at my wife's parents, a couple in town built their whole house out of these.
I think with the right concrete, some form of rubberized waterproofing membrane on outside you'd be GTG.

And what Shawn said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version