Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sending a second young man away...  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sending a second young man away...
« on: February 16, 2023, 10:46:16 AM »
Last night I took the youngest Pre-Ranger out to dinner. Mom was working so it's a good time for him and me to just talk.

We have been having some issues with him preparing to leave for college this fall. He signed up for the professional aeronautics program at Kentucky Eastern University which produces commercial pilots. His concept of the operation was to get the B.S. and all his pilot ratings up to ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) and his multi-engine instructor and instrument instructor ratings. He was then going to visit the Army recruiter with all that and ask to become an Apache pilot. If they bungled, he was going to do a rapid sidestep and enter the Marine recruiter office with the same request but make it either an AH-1W or an F-18.

But I have noticed that something has been missing. When I talk about flying it seems to go nowhere. When I look around to see if he is googling airplane stuff, nada.

So, I confronted him about it. During that hour-long conversation. I did not see any real interest in flying, only a love for what flying brings...$$$.

I may have misspoke, but I consider that a lack of character. I explained you do it because you love it and because it is the passion that makes you get out of bed for decades.

Last night he made it very clear to me that what he has always wanted to do is to become a Ranger. Not a tab wearer, but a member of 1st Ranger Battalion, which is our Tier 1, counter-terrorism battalion, and probably the single best infantry unit on earth.

He told me that every time we go down to visit Nate, he just feels so alive. He feels like he belongs there, and he does not want to leave. He goes and hangs out in the barracks with the soldiers, and I can testify, the boy seems more alive down there. So God help us, but it looks like this family is about to produce another US Army Infantryman!

So that's it. We are off to start the conversation...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Sending a second young man away...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 03:56:22 PM »
See? That's what happens when you're always talking about "Special Operators"! LOL! You should've been taking him to the airfield and putting a stick in his hand!

I'm sure he'll do well! And, he can always change his mind and go for WOCS/Flight School towards his ETS.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 07:54:28 PM »
See? That's what happens when you're always talking about "Special Operators"! LOL! You should've been taking him to the airfield and putting a stick in his hand!

I'm sure he'll do well! And, he can always change his mind and go for WOCS/Flight School towards his ETS.
Its funny you mentioned it that way.
When the young pre-Ranger explained me his master plan of first graduating from Eastern with all his qualifications and FAA licenses, he never intended to ask to become a Commissioned Officer. He planned to become a Warrant Officer unless he was forced to enter the Marines, then of course he would have to be commissioned to fly.
To this day I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea for the Army to have the bulk of its pilots as Warrant Officers. I also think its an awful idea. Having served on the Warrant side, now that I am retired, I often wonder what 25 years of service and having retired as an O-5 would have looked like. Man, for all the fun I had just flying things around for a couple of decades, I sure suffer in retirement from the delta in retirement pay!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 10:58:10 AM »
Yesterday that young man came into my office and announced that he was ready to begin talking to the Army recruiter.

I am sharing this with other fathers who will someday face the same circumstance. It makes me just bust with pride and renders up a gut-felt fear at the same time. His mom and I are sort of nervous because we both know what soldiering looks like while that brave young fool knows nothing of what a battlefield looks, feels, or smells like.

But what are you as a father going to do? We can't say "NO." The best we can do is to give heartfelt prayers to the matter and give the best advice we can to our children.

Allow me to share something here. Matt here says that regarding daily prayer use the PUSH method. Pray until something happens. Well, you all know I am in 100 days of prayer over some specific topics. The health and welfare of my boys are on the list. Chris and I were arguing over his going to college. He has a full 100% paid-for ride to an aviation program that will end with him being able to fly as an airline pilot with a 4-year degree. But as I have mentioned, I see no passion there. No searching the internet for airplane stuff. No talking to other pilots. His eyes do not light up when the subject of flying comes up, just nothing.

I saw that and we had the "What's your passion," talk. The thing that has always come up is becoming a US Army infantryman and a Ranger. So that very night I started to pray for my son. I first talked to Kat because, in this marriage, God speaks to me through her. Like he is right there with wisdom. She told me that I should pray for God to give that boy a passion, a fire. Wow, that sounded like exactly what I should do, so I did. I prayed, "Father God, give Chris passion in his heart and open doors for him to follow that dream."

I guess this is a testimony of sorts, because the very next time I saw Chris he said, "Dad I think I want to join the Army to follow my dream of being an infantryman." Wow...Just WOW!

That was maybe 4-5 days ago. I have continued to pray for him and that passion. Then yesterday morning, he walked into my office and told me he had the day off and asked if I had spoken to the recruiter yet. I told him earlier I would go and interview the recruiters and find the right one. So yesterday morning I called to recruiting station commander and asked if I could visit. I met a bright female Sergeant First Class. I told her my plan and asked her which of her sergeants were infantry or ranger or SF. She pointed out two. I called them into the office then proceeded to put all three into an interesting hour-long session. I made statements like, "I think this inclusion business is a bunch of crap, what do you think?" And, I got some darned good answers. I was honestly impressed.

None of them felt it was doing anything other than weakening the force. Through it all, I saw three really good NCOs. The station commander told me she would personally handle all of Chris's paperwork while the sergeant of my choice would run him around and guide him. Honestly, I could not pick. Either NCO was a combat vet and seemed sharp. I picked BOTH! She agreed and with my phone on speaker, I called my young lad to come in. He was standing there within 30 min, and I departed.

After a few hours, Chris came home saying he liked working with the more senior Staff Sergeant and that he was driving up to the testing station tomorrow (Today) to take all the tests. He took a preliminary test at the station and he apparently turned in one of the highest scores they had seen in some time. They gave him an online test which he took last night, and he scored even higher.

I think this is his time. I believe by week's end Chris will have enlisted into our honorable Army and be a soldier in waiting. I am so proud of him, and I do love my boys so much...but I'm just a little scared...

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 01:44:46 PM »
Can't argue with the call and expect to win.  Men have to make decisions and then execute.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »
Sounds like he's got it figured out, for now!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 08:10:35 PM »
Results today are good, I think

He scored an 87 on the ASFAB or whatever that is called. Max score is 99 and Army recruiting average is currently 50-55.

He scored a 117 or a 114 on his GT, which is OK, I guess. I scored 126 but Army-wide his is a very good score.

They offered him a 4-year contract for 11X with a $40K bonus!!! and duty station of choice. He wanted option 40 which guarantees him to at least try out for Ranger school, but I am trying to talk him out of that. He wants to join the 101st Airborne at Ft. Campbell, a choice his mom and I dearly want him to make.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »
Yeah, I think he'd be better served to get airborne right out of basic. He'll get air assault at Campbell. Then, after a bit of time training/learning, he'll get his ranger slot.

And it's ASVAB - Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 02:13:30 PM »
On the ASVAB, a GT of 110 is the ticket.  With the recruiting issue, please ensure he gets it in writing, and get everything he can get.  He only gets one bite at the apple.  His bother may have some good info/suggestions.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 04:57:42 PM »
On the ASVAB, a GT of 110 is the ticket.  With the recruiting issue, please ensure he gets it in writing, and get everything he can get.  He only gets one bite at the apple.  His bother may have some good info/suggestions.
They are talking
Chris is allowing me to get involved. And he is having success. Doors are all open at the moment. Like last time I am trying to be the officer who swears him in...

Nate wanted to do it all himself. Now as he approaches 2 years in the Army, they still have not paid him his enlistment bonus!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2023, 10:21:39 AM »
He swears in this Thursday.

11X (Infantry school) starting in July

Unit of choice: 101st Airborne Division

4-years

and a really fat bonus

He is so stoked. We have been talking constantly, and he tells me he is completely settled and knows he is doing the right thing. As his father, with an eye on looming trouble with China, I am concerned, but I also feel it is the right thing for him.

God bless young men and women who have the courage and do something like this. Most of America never even notices...

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 10:33:00 AM »
Good for him!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 11:40:24 AM »
Great that he is able to get what he wants.  I will thank him when I get to see him soon.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »
Great that he is able to get what he wants.  I will thank him when I get to see him soon.
Looks like Nate will be in the field during what was going to be our next planned visit...Darn!

Chris will be in the same state, different local for OSUT...Benning.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 07:36:10 PM »
Saw he was swearing in but didn't realize he was leaving that quickly. Outstanding.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 08:25:58 PM »
Saw he was swearing in but didn't realize he was leaving that quickly. Outstanding.
Leaving third week in July

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 10:33:10 PM »
That is quick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2023, 09:39:32 AM »
That is quick

Yes and no.

Just a few months away, but for a young man who is anxious to get his life started, it's still a wait.

This morning he came into my office well-dressed and looking confident. We talked for a few moments, and drank some quoffee together, then he departed for the MEPS station to do all the processing and actually swear in. Only a father who has experienced this would appreciate the jumble of emotions I feel right now.

It's kind of a private thing, this moment of time in our family. But in the spirit of this forum, I am sharing. I do so in hopes that others may learn from my experience in this particular instance. Some of the fathers who read this have this very same thing in their futures.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 09:40:41 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2023, 07:07:07 PM »
Or their past

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 12:11:36 PM »
Yesterday at 1343 my youngest son swore in and is now officially in the US Army. That makes it a grand slam...My father, me, and all three of my sons...All US Army.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 07:44:17 PM »
Congrats Don.  May God watch over him and may our worthless politicians not send him on a mission with his hands tied.

Despite the sissies in our leadership positions we need real men to inflict bad things on bad people from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2023, 08:10:09 PM »
And today the second pre-ranger went through a ceremony called "Turning Green."

It is essentially the point in his training where he moves on from Basic Training into his more advanced Infantry training that will last into early next year. His brother drove up from Savannah (Ft. Stewart) to be with him. Pictured are my youngest two boys who currently serve. Both Infantrymen. I am so proud!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2023, 09:36:19 PM »
Great. I'm glad Nate was able to get there.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2023, 10:08:48 PM »
That is awesome.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »
Making dad and this country proud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2023, 03:20:44 PM »
Well I see an EIB and nasty air assault wings but congrats on both accounts.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2023, 06:55:37 PM »
Well I see an EIB and nasty air assault wings but congrats on both accounts.
He has his Airborne packet in at the moment. His unit in 3ID doesn't always allow schools.
His plan was to show at Chris's graduation triple stacked, then drop a packet for SF. At the moment with always (Like every single week) being in the field doing the same stuff, he wants out of 3ID. Chris has an appointment with RAS as soon as he graduates. If he makes it, he will be in the 75th Ranger Regiment awaiting Ranger school. If not, then either 101st or "needs of the Army."

Nate won not one, not two, but three foreign army PT awards in Europe. Never got a single AAM out of it. He tried out and made the 1st Bde, 3ID best squad competition. They competed at Army level and were beaten by, guess who...ya, 75th Rangers. And out of that, no AAM. Anytime I had a soldier like that I'd call the old man and have him come down and impact award the soldier.

The day the hurricane came in down there, they were pulled out of the field. No meals all day. When they finally recovered around 0200, ya, no meals. Then the leadership made everyone come back at 0800 for a normal work call.

This new Army sucks when it comes to taking care of their soldiers.

I am telling both of my boys to get out of this regular Army as soon as they can and into SOC. Never leave it, and retire out of SOC.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
Glad both boys could be together for the Greening!

Sucks to hear how they're treating Nate. I'm with you, he'd have been put in for an AAM/ARCOM each time. I've had several interactions with 3ID seniors, and was not impressed. They are kinda the bastard step child, being the only 2 ABCTs in 18th Corps, but that's no excuse for poor leadership.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 11:44:57 AM »
Glad both boys could be together for the Greening!

Sucks to hear how they're treating Nate. I'm with you, he'd have been put in for an AAM/ARCOM each time. I've had several interactions with 3ID seniors, and was not impressed. They are kinda the bastard step child, being the only 2 ABCTs in 18th Corps, but that's no excuse for poor leadership.
Concur with your impressions.
Leaders need to find reasons to reward juniors who are "Getting it right." In SOC, and even in the 101st, I think leadership was very forthcoming with taking opportunities to reward good work
The 3ID seems to be somewhat oppressive and is for sure stifling junior soldier development as well as "not teaching the officers and mid/senior NCOs about how to be good as leaders.
Nate is now bending all his efforts toward getting out of there. He's trying Airborne School currently but will invoke the ability to request reassignment. I keep telling him to put his SF packet in, but he is focused in removing himself from that situation.
At the 2-year mark, he has been given challenge coins from every CSM from battalion to the CSM, US Army. He has won several foreign Army soldier challenges. He made the brigade's best squad team. He scores just 2 points from maxing the PT test.
He relayed to me his squad leader was a gay guy who actually told him he was going to hold him back because Nate thought he was some king of "Good man." Oh how I wanted to have a conversation with the BN/Bde commanders about that. Nate beat the boy silly, and ya, I am thinking that is OK. Part of the 3ID problem is an amplification of this notion that the LBGT community is important. In my view, it is not, and it is a failure of senior Army Leadership during the Obama years to stand up for fairness. The 3ID doesn't have anything to do, so incoming commanders simply have to appear as though they are maintaining combat readiness while (more importantly) not rocking the boat.
I would absolutely hate being in the Army today. I can only hope SOC is somewhat insulated from all this horsecrap.
Rant over...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 11:46:00 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 01:13:51 PM »
That's shameful.  :facepalm:
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Chief.  Leadership principles are the same no matter what the industry or situation.  It should be a badge of honor as a leader to develop, reward and promote those that excel.  Too many times leaders are so insecure that they feel inadequate when someone they are charged with leading, show more promise than they have.

Hope he gets to where he is appreciated

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2023, 07:00:26 PM »
Thanks, Gentlemen.

I have faith that prayer will prevail, and Nate will land where he is appreciated and he can do the best job for our nation.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2024, 09:12:48 AM »
Update on the youngest Harward Warrior:

He graduates US Army Infantry School this coming week.

He was asked to try out for the Rangers by the DI's who were mostly tabbed in the company he trained in for the past 6+ months. They noticed him early on. It was his attitude. Smiling when they were getting "smoked". Chris said one day a DI, a Ranger, combat vet from 2-75th Rangers pulled him aside and asked him why he seemed to be smiling all the time and enjoying it. Chris answered that all the pushups were just making him stronger. The next day or so several DI's talked to him, all tabbed Rangers. They asked him what he had enlisted for as he told the story. He told them Infantry followed by the 101st Airborne. They asked him why the 101st. He answered that the 101st has the greatest number of Ranger School slots and all he wanted to do was to get into the Ranger Regiment.

The next time they talked to him was right after the Physical fitness test where he scored one of the highest scores in the brigade. That's when they proposed an offer to him. They asked him if he would be interested if they could get him a better offer, that being RAS, Ranger Assessment and Selection. That does not get you to Ranger School, but directly into the 75th Ranger regiment where you have one year to complete Ranger school, or you're gone. They asked if he would be willing to drop his enlistment bonus of $30,000 to get into the Rangers. Chris answered immediately that he would sign up immediately just for the chance.

Well, I guess that made an impression because they pulled strings and they got him RAS beginning right after he graduates, and he keeps his bonus! My boy who has said he wants to be an Army Ranger since he was 3 or 4 is headed to the 75th Ranger Regiment, some of the toughest warriors on earth.

His final PT score was 598 out of 600 possible, the highest score of all. Last year I went to a banquet where he was awarded MVP for the year at his high school. It seems as though excellence runs with him.

Wow!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2024, 07:02:53 PM »
Outstanding!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2024, 09:35:28 PM »
Very well done  :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2024, 10:58:04 PM »
That is Great!!!   Congratulations!!!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2024, 09:00:21 AM »
Great news.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2024, 03:01:50 PM »
Great news, Don! Hopefully I'll run into you next week while you're here.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2024, 08:36:34 PM »
Great news, Don! Hopefully I'll run into you next week while you're here.
This week. Departing PL Harward 0900
Blue Cord ceremony Thursday
March across the parade ground Friday.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2024, 08:48:44 PM »
I am grateful for both of your boy's answering the call.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2024, 08:53:07 AM »
I am grateful for both of your boy's answering the call.
Thank you, I will pass it on to the young one. You can tell the older one yourself ;-)

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2024, 11:47:03 AM »
Wilco.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2024, 01:08:02 PM »
Makes me proud to be an American

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2024, 09:45:37 AM »
Well, I just finished with all the graduation ceremonies for Chris for the second time. Nate was my first.
I now have two fully qualified infantry soldiers serving our nation.

That ceremony is just humbling to be a part of.

On day one the first time you see your soldier they march onto a large, paved area in their WW2-style new dress uniforms. Various words are spoken there is the playing of the national anthem and a couple of awards are given. Then the platoons perform an "Open-Ranks" maneuver where they essentially expand in all directions a short distance. That is when the parents are invited onto the parade field to place the Infantry-blue cord around their soldier's right shoulder. This is referred to as "Turning Blue" as blue is the color of the infantry branch.

You then get to spend the day with them. We ate a big meal downtown and relaxed in the hotel room.

They need to be back at their unit by 2000, and you get to see them the next day at the thing they refer to as the "NIM." The National Infantry Museum is indeed a national treasure. We got to witness a nice enactment of an infantry squad with all their weapons and equipment advance in a wedge formation slowly through smoke with explosions and machine gun fire echoing loudly all around to a point in front of the grand stands. This time I was seated in the front row.

They go through a brief explanation of the function and position of each soldier then smartly move off the parade field. That parade field, as I have previously mentioned is sown with dirt from every battlefield that the US Infantry has ever fought and died on. It is indeed hallowed ground and commands a certain powerful feeling of respect and deep honor. Every infantry soldier in the US Army has marched across that field as a part of assuming their places in the ranks of our Army. It's as if they are resting on the backs of all those warriors of the past and picking up the guidon to take their place to defend this nation. I was thinking while seeing them there that they are better than the country they will willingly serve, at least parts of it.

Then they pass in review which is pretty cool to see, but been there/done that...

Chris has been selected to attend RASP or the 75th Rangers Assessment and selection program. It is a brutal undertaking where something less than 50% will make it. He has to first do a comprehensive physical and that will take a week or two so he will be in a hold-over status. But sometime in February, he will be collected by the Ranger cadre and taken into their midst. He must first go through something called "pre-RASP." it consists of brutal all-day-long workouts that last a few weeks. They will do Olympic-level conditioning and spend time on the dreaded land nav course. Only around 60% of those who start will complete it in a few weeks.

The criteria the Rangers demand is perfection. They not only want a pushup to Army standards, but they want a "good form" as well. Someone we know who graduated a year before Chris went through RASP. after weeks of brutality and having finally passed the Ranger PT test, they decided to recycle him back to day 1 because they did not like "his form" while doing the sit-ups. At that point, he quit and serves as an infantryman today. I hear that is a psychological trick they use to adjust one's attitude. If they detect even a hint of an attitude at any point, they can for any reason they dream up recycle a Ranger candidate just to give him a chance to correct himself before advancing.

After this "pre-RASP, there will be a waiting period while they fill the next RASP class. Once he begins that, it starts all over again. four weeks of physical conditioning, followed by four more weeks of actual Ranger training. Inductees are allowed one "screw-up" and to repeat something, but a second bust is removal from the Ranger program. During the first week of the first four weeks, nearly half the class will quit. It is -45 days of "Land Nav" with zero rest, only more conditioning. They will eat and drink and eat a lot, but no sleep, none. It is the psychological killer of all but the strongest of men.

From what I can see, it is the toughest most brutal training the US Army has to offer. In my view, you have to be near Psycho to attempt it. Nothing in my Night Stalker training or any training I did in the Special Forces Community equals that. Those men are truly giants in the warrior world. Want to see a true Halo Master Chief? Look no further than our 75th Rangers.

Chris is focused and mentally prepared. As a dad everything I see is telling me that my boy is ready. I believe in him and I feel strongly that he will make it.

I will pray for his strength every day.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:00:18 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2024, 10:09:30 AM »
Thanks for the great update and good luck to him.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2024, 10:12:55 AM »
Thanks for the great update and good luck to him.
You're welcome Matt!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2024, 10:14:48 AM »
Here's some pics from the graduation:

In the pic with Chris and the other soldier, these two are "Battle Buddies."

Both came to the infantry course as soldiers assigned to other units. Both were selected to attend RASP. Armond Lewis is going to Airborne School in two weeks, and then to RASP. Chris will already be in RASP when Lewis shows up.

I connected immediately with the young man. He hails from Miami and owns a car business already. Even though he has quite a bit of money and success already, he told me he wanted to get out of that material world. He wanted to see what he could do to be a strong independent man and he wanted to be a US Army Ranger. Well, after several conversations I sensed a well-focused, intelligent, and grounded young man. He did not have a father growing up, so I offered my services. He now texts me and calls me "Dad." Man, what an honor. I will chat with him often and pray for him daily. He is now one of us who served, and I will not let him down.

I just feel so humbled by witnessing this. These darn fools have no idea what they are headed for, Darned if I don't love all of them!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:21:54 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2024, 01:41:41 PM »
Congratulations to all,  outstanding for both young men. One thing that I experienced when our nephew went through his Marine boot camp. His mother found a website/schedule  that said what the class would be doing that day. This enabled us to pray for them and that task. I would be up to praying for them each day of their training if you could keep us in the loop

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2024, 06:34:23 PM »
Same-Same here. We're tracking.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2024, 07:34:48 AM »
Amazing

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal