Hello Guest

Author Topic: Choice of a new rifle  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
Choice of a new rifle
« on: August 21, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
Call it whatever, looking to add another rifle to the collection.

Looking at a Steyr aug or Daniel defense ar, or I’m open to suggestions.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Choice of a new rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
Many here know more than I, but don't throw your $$ at a name.

Now a name could get you a better barrel if accuracy is really important. I have several off brands that shoot just fine.

What Cal you looking at and for what use?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:13:37 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
Was mainly just wanting to add a good higher end rifle to the collection.  I’ve always liked the aug, and know Daniel defense makes high end ar’s.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:05:45 PM »
Bobby should be dropping by shortly just mention “breakfast and hot sauce” and he’ll magically appear it seems.....

I would get his take, he seems to be the go to around here for best bang for your buck and he likes high end rifles.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:23:39 PM »
Make sure you get the double barrel extended clip high power magazine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:35 PM »

Is that the Democrat Special?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »
Bobby should be dropping by shortly just mention “breakfast and hot sauce” and he’ll magically appear it seems.....

I would get his take, he seems to be the go to around here for best bang for your buck and he likes high end rifles.

sriracha not hot sauce.....
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:54:38 PM »

Lol, I wondered who would be first to correct that.....  :tongue:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:55:12 PM »

Is that the Democrat Special?

Hmmm, where’s ol Ken when you need him?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 11:30:03 PM »
Name only means resale value for the most part. 

I’d get on the list and wait for a GAP-10.  No finer AR patterned 7.62 period. And it will always sell if you need it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
If you want bang for your buck, Bobby directed me to Integrity Arms for my first AR and I am super happy with it. I whacked a full beer at 300m, first shot down at Don’s farm using only an unmagnified red dot sight.  Justin there will help you out and answer all your questions with possible options for your build.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
Name only means resale value for the most part. 

I’d get on the list and wait for a GAP-10.  No finer AR patterned 7.62 period. And it will always sell if you need it

I was looking at some of there bolt actions, very nice setups, the gap-10 g2 is a nice setup also.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »
Yeah, I bought 2 gap bolt guns when I was competing, thinking ultimate accuracy was king, when in reality what I learned in competition was that rapid follow ups and rounds on target from 700 and in were much more important  than the extra edge I had from 700-1200 with the bolt guns.

I had a San Antonio SWAT team guy burst my bubble on the 500 yard moving target when I thought I rocked the stage by scoring 7 hits (best of all the bolt gunners) when he stepped up and rang the bell 11 times.....

Just my opinion, but if you don’t on an accurate AR10 I would start there and then make the bolt gun a 338 Lapua or 375 Cheytac.  That will fill the spectrum nicely.

I always have plans I’m kicking around but as soon as I build/buy an AR pistol I’m going to start looking at 338 lapua or 375/408 cheytac, assuming I can hide 12k from the wife or be willing to live with the consequences....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
What 338 you looking at? That has been on my mind for some time now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »
If I do a 338 I’ll go custom. Maybe a Blazer off the shelf otherwise full custom based on a Stiller or Surgeon action

Online Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 06:16:10 PM »
Charles, weren’t you just cleaning a set up very similar to that mule

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
Choice of a new rifle
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
Yeah, I bought 2 gap bolt guns when I was competing, thinking ultimate accuracy was king, when in reality what I learned in competition was that rapid follow ups and rounds on target from 700 and in were much more important  than the extra edge I had from 700-1200 with the bolt guns.

I had a San Antonio SWAT team guy burst my bubble on the 500 yard moving target when I thought I rocked the stage by scoring 7 hits (best of all the bolt gunners) when he stepped up and rang the bell 11 times.....

Just my opinion, but if you don’t on an accurate AR10 I would start there and then make the bolt gun a 338 Lapua or 375 Cheytac.  That will fill the spectrum nicely.

I always have plans I’m kicking around but as soon as I build/buy an AR pistol I’m going to start looking at 338 lapua or 375/408 cheytac, assuming I can hide 12k from the wife or be willing to live with the consequences....

Makes sense, I’ll talk to me dealer when I pick up another weapon next week I ordered. See what deal he can do for me on a gap-10,  right now my scar17 dressed out is my most accurate 308
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:58:25 PM by Camaroz2866 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 09:13:00 PM »
Bob not sure. I do have a gap 300wm which is quite the stick. Need to put glass on it as I traded the US Optics glass I had on it for a PVS-14

The 460 I was cleaning was a hunting rifle that is nice but not a long range rig.

Jake you can get a gap-10 direct from Gap sent to your dealer.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2019, 12:05:23 AM »
Charles, you ever see anybody running a 280 ackley? I believe that’s what it’s called.

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 12:12:32 AM »
Charles ya think my dealer can get a better deal on it than me calling direct?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Choice of a new rifle
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »
Turner the”hot” set up when I was competing was the 6mm(243) all hopped up to mid 3000 FPS  with a 105 class bullet.

It’s all about cheating the wind. Least wind deflection at 1000 with 10mph full value is what they are looking for.

The 6.5 hadn’t really come on the scene yet and most were through with the 7WSM because of cost.

Guys that are serious about competing don’t mind burning a barrel out in less than 4000 rounds.

Now they have caliber specific matches since there is such disparity. The 308 matches are my favorite since they require the most skill in reading the wind.

Jake it can’t hurt to ask but GAP has such high demand I don’t think they wholesale and adding a dealer in between may just increase the price.

Plus half the fun is taking to George or one of the other smiths and getting their input on what’s important to you and your intended use.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:40:11 AM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
Turner the”hot” set up when I was competing was the 6mm(243) all hopped up to mid 3000 FPS  with a 105 class bullet.

It’s all about cheating the wind. Least wind deflection at 1000 with 10mph full value is what they are looking for.

The 6.5 hadn’t really come on the scene yet and most were through with the 7WSM because of cost.

Guys that are serious about competing don’t mind burning a barrel out in less than 4000 rounds.

Now they have caliber specific matches since there is such disparity. The 308 matches are my favorite since they require the most skill in reading the wind.

Jake it can’t hurt to ask but GAP has such high demand I don’t think they wholesale and adding a dealer in between may just increase the price.

Plus half the fun is taking to George or one of the other smiths and getting their input on what’s important to you and your intended use.

Were you shooting PRS matches?  Most guys are still using some variation of a 6mm caliber.  6 dasher, 6BR etc..  about a 110-120 grain bullet getting pushed right at the 3100 fps speed limit.  They are generally replacing a barrel atleast every season with 1000-1500 rounds through it.  Some guys are using .22 caliber bullets now also.  They are lucky to get 1000 rounds through a barrel before it is shot out.  I'm competing with my 6.5 CM.  I will have just shy of 3000 rounds through it by the end of this year (purchase about 2 years ago) and plan to replace it over the winter so I won't have to worry about it the middle of next season.  I will probably re-barrel in 6mm CM.  It's not just about cheating the wind.  The push to smaller calibers is also to minimize recoil to allow the shooter to better trace there shots to make corrections on follow-up shots as well as faster follow-ups.

One of the best parts about getting a custom gun is calling the smith and talking about what type of shooting you do/ what you want and having them build it purpose built for you.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 09:28:27 AM »
Exactly Bear. I never had a problem with recoil with my 308 with the can.  But I can see that too,   The 7wsm is a great round and I may get a hunting rifle built on that platform

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »
Exactly Bear. I never had a problem with recoil with my 308 with the can.  But I can see that too,   The 7wsm is a great round and I may get a hunting rifle built on that platform

I'm tossed up between the 7WSM or the 7LRM for my next hunting rifle.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
If you can’t tell, I have never shot competition. Didn’t even think about any of the above. I know a guy who custom built a light weight .280 ackley. Purpose behind it is so he can pack it into the back country and save a few pounds doing so, and still have enough reach to drop a bull on the other side of canyon.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Turner, there are many custom makers that make a 5.5-6 lb rifle in any caliber you want.

Locally, MG Arms makes custom hunting rifles in just about any caliber that are super light.

My current hunting stick is a 308 Remington 700 Alaskan in titanium with composite stock.  With a little lupy 3-9,. It’s super lightweight.  I’d just like a little more punch with a WSM.  And the BC on the 7mm round is stupid slick

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Bear, had to look up the 7LRM

http://site-media.net/gunwerks/7LRMarticle(1).pdf

Interesting.  I’m more of an off the shelf guy for weapons vs wildats but it is interesting for sure.

For me the 7wsm would get me as far out as I’d feel comfortable hunting ethically.

If you get one, please please keep us posted.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »

you mean like this one???????  http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php  I have one of their uppers

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »
Linky no worky

Oops.  edit.  It didnt work from the phone

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:55:16 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Choice of a new rifle
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:43:08 PM by wyorunner »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
Looking at a Steyr aug or Daniel defense ar,

Of the 2, the DD for the ability to find parts. In a perfect world where I'd be able to find anything Steyr AUG, just because I've liked them for awhile. Bullpup takes a some getting used to. What do you want to use it for? So I can think of other suggestions.

You rang? I like high end rifles, however I can only stare and dream.

Correct I have some standards.

If you want bang for your buck, Bobby directed me to Integrity Arms for my first AR and I am super happy with it. I whacked a full beer at 300m, first shot down at Don’s farm using only an unmagnified red dot sight.  Justin there will help you out and answer all your questions with possible options for your build.

I pass on what I can find.

7mm round is stupid slick

I like 7mm Mag and 30.06
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:38:18 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Camaroz2866

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
Looking at a Steyr aug or Daniel defense ar,

Of the 2, the DD for the ability to find parts. In a perfect world where I'd be able to find anything Steyr AUG, just because I've liked them for awhile. Bullpup takes a some getting used to. What do you want to use it for? So I can think of other suggestions.

You rang? I like high end rifles, however I can only stare and dream.

Correct I have some standards.

I pass on what I can find.

7mm round is stupid slick

I like 7mm Mag and 30.06

Thanks Bobby, I’ve decided to go with a gap-10 in 308.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
You won’t be disappointed.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
Thanks Bobby, I’ve decided to go with a gap-10 in 308.

Fancy... also something I've wanted to buy but haven't gotten there yet. The LaRue OBR is also one of those rifles you kinda just want to own. Lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 05:25:21 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
Optimized battle riffle?   Can someone elaborate for me? What makes it obr

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Choice of a new rifle
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
It’s a marketing/trademark deal.  It’s an AR-10 with some upgrades that help accuracy.  They claim MOA or better.

The GAP-10G2 is a bit more expensive but also their accuracy guarantee (at least used to be) better.  They commonly will shoot 1/2 MOA which is outstanding for a semi auto.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:43:32 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
Some light reading

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3647

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 08:23:37 PM »
It’s a marketing/trademark deal.  It’s an AR-10 with some upgrades that help accuracy.  They claim MOA or better.

The GAP-10G2 is a bit more expensive but also their accuracy guarantee (at least used to be) better.  They commonly will shoot 1/2 MOA which is outstanding for a semi auto.

Got it

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
Of course if I had a choice :

Accuracy International AWM L115A3 in 300WM or 338 Lapua, and an Aston Martin Vanquish with the V12. Both are nice and refined, for the sophisticated gentleman.

But dreams are dreams lol. When I was at Bragg there was a gun store that had some AIs for sale. Then I saw the price tags and I got sad lol.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »
AI 338 would be sweet.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2019, 10:59:13 PM »
Think a 338L would be nice. Already have a 7mm, but to really reach out and say hi you need a bit more.

.5 MOA is great, but $35k. 3-4k is hard to swallow.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:05 AM »
If I’m spending 35k, its gonna be a registered sear MP5SD in 10mm.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 12:39:24 PM »
Now that's wishing!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2019, 03:46:40 PM »
Go big or go home, right?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
I really like the Sako TRG-42, but still pricey.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 12:33:28 PM »
Found a used one for $2500 and in the state. Talking to the seller now and he has reloading equip for it too.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal