Hello Guest

Author Topic: New gun purchase  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New gun purchase
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
So, the youngest pre-ranger decided today that he wants to buy a gun.

So far he has gotten them from Santa Claus. He has the M1911, a M4, a 10-22, a Ruger charger pistol, a Remmy 20 gage pump shotgun, and he has sort of adopted "Ole Uncle A" a M1944 Ruger .22 and my Ruger Mark-1 pistol.

He will not accept any non US gun. He is totally stuck on only owning American made and American heritage weapons, hence the M1911 over a Glock 19.

He recently won the door prize at the local festival which was $1000 cash and I think he saved $500 or so. I'd like to see him keep as much of that cashola in the bank for upcoming things like Christmas and birthdays for our ever increasing family.

He wants a rifle, a long gun, a bolt gun and after a lot of discussion today, we have it down to some 6.5, 308, 270, or other reasonable deer killing cartridge. But I won't let him buy a 6mm, .243, or ancient rounds like a 30-06, 25-06, small varmint calipers or unnecessarily large magnums. I could possibly see a 7mm magnum, but I think that's too much gun for Kentucky and 250 meters.

He will purchase both the rifle and a scope. That will likely be a vortex. He liked the Remy 700 ADL but did not like the Ruger scout because he thought it was too short.

Based on what I see a remy 700 in 308 or 270 would be a sure bet of a no further thought required purchase, but with this forum I have access to a whole passel of shooters a lot more knowledgeable than me.

What say ye?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: New gun purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
Don, been a couple years but last new rem 700 I purchased was in 22-250 and in my humble opinion its quality was not very good or at least like the 20 year old ones I had handled prior.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:48:24 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »
What’s wrong with the 30:06? It’s a 308 with a little more umph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:14:55 PM »
Happy with my ol win 270. Buts it’s over thirty years old

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:32 PM »
What’s wrong with the 30:06? It’s a 308 with a little more umph

I second this.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
ancient rounds like a 30-06

That "ancient" round is still quite effective for almost EVERY hunting situation he'll encounter. That "ancient" round is likely the most commonly found round in most areas of the country (rural and urban) with the 30-30 probably being equally accessible. Similarly if you ever happen to get into loading your own ammo you can load up or down in bullet weight and have a potent caliber that'll handle hogs, deer, bear, coyotes.

Here's my opinion as you mentioned deer killing caliber, so therefore hunting is the plan of the day.

Winchester model 70 chambered in 30.06 with a 2.5x10 scope
Remington model 700 chambered in 30.06 with a 2.5x10  scope
Keep it simple with a wood stock, a sling, and a simple reticle.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-hs-2-5-10x44-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978  (as an example)

That "ancient" round.... pilots.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:52:51 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New gun purchase
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 11:13:34 PM »
Well that’s three of us.

I would say a fixed power 10x mildot.  Easier to learn and use and so simple a redneck couldn’t break it.

https://rifleopticsworld.com/swfa-ss-10x42-review/
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:21:20 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 11:31:57 PM »
Personally I am a fan of the mid range .284 rounds. 7mm-08 and 280 Rem are are very good calibers and more versatile than the 6.5 stuff. 120-175gr loads are available. The nicest, made in USA, non custom shop guns I’ve dealt with are the Winchester model 70s. Now, the parts are still made here but as of 2015/2016 they moved assembly to Portugal . I still see the made in USA guns on gunbroker from time to time. If it were my money, that’s where I’d start looking. As far as scopes go, vortex isn’t made in the USA either. Leupold, US Optics, and Nightforce are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are made here. Optics planet and a few others sell the Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 for $299.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 11:47:37 PM »
Well that’s three of us.

I would say a fixed power 10x mildot.  Easier to learn and use and so simple a redneck couldn’t break it.

https://rifleopticsworld.com/swfa-ss-10x42-review/

Fixed 10x isn't the easiest to get on target quickly in a hunting situation.  He mentioned hunting so I'm referencing hunting in terrain with rolling hills, trees, long and scrub brush.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 12:46:28 AM »
I agree with Bobby, fixed 10 is way too much power for short distance brushy hunting. The 30/06 will hold its own when used for hunting deer or even elk sized game at ranges out to around 400 yds. For hunting shorter distance I would be looking at 7X57 or similar. Easier on the shoulder and cheaper per round down range especially if hand loading.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
The ruger scout seems short. It is fine in 308.
I’ll add to the 30-06 crew. I don’t current have but I have sandbags full of brass.
30-06, 308, 270, all good IMO.
300WM and 7mm Remmag also good for more umff.

On the glass.
Hunting fixed anything other than 4 too much.
I’ve shot down the side of the barrel more times than I’d like to admit because I was on 9-12 x.
Get something in the 3 or 4 to whatever money he wishes to spend zoom.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
I have a 30.06, considered getting rid of it on more than one occasion however have enough ammo kinda hard to see a loss selling it. 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
Shawn, "We" know a guy who is looking around for something for his son to buy... Hopefully he is beyond the ancient thought by now.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 06:37:58 PM »
Ancient... psh

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Ancient huh. I guess he's not a fan of Charles either. Hardy harhar

I also believe the 30 ought 6 is one of the best rounds ever made, but the smaller bang of a 270, or a 308, would be perfect for a young guy, while meeting your criteria.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
Shawn, "We" know a guy who is looking around for something for his son to buy... Hopefully he is beyond the ancient thought by now.

Unless he shoots south paw or wants to learn it won’t do him a whole lotta good. Rem 700 LH

And I agree with Ken on 308 too

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:37:44 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
New gun purchase
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
I too like the 30.06. I personally have owned one for over 20 years. That particular rifle has shot deer, elk, antelope and paper. With other .06 I have also shot a wildebeest.

Later in life an M1 Garand has also made it into the mix of our things.

I love the .06 because if you hand load it (as mentioned) you can load a very wide range of rounds. Many on the lighter end will down any game you have in KY. There is also a decent variety of factory loads available at most stores.

Another bonus for the .06 is that there’s many options of a rifle to choose from.

I’m also a huge fan of the 260 Remington.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:24:50 AM by wyorunner »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »

I see you're a man of culture.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »

I see you're a man of culture.

That might be going too far.... but I do like a good rifle! There’s also a K98 Mauser in there somewhere, working on a couple different SKS’ as well.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
There’s also a K98 Mauser in there somewhere,

I like your style.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »
...I’m also a huge fan of the 260 Remington.
That makes two of us. All this hoopla over the 6.5 creedmore drives me nuts. We’ve had those ballistics for decades. It’s nothing new, just something new to take people money.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
Didn't someone on here buy one of these?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/RUGER-AMERICAN-PREDATOR-BOLT-ACTION-RIFLES/1872705.uts

Yes, got that in 300aac. Haven't even shot it yet but I sure like the feel. Now in an AR mag version vs the rotary.

I vote for the 308 too. Good for about anything and easy to find rounds or load. Plus I think you have a M1 right?

Vortex 3-10 viper pst would be a good choice (have one).
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
OK, update

Poor guy is still in the hospital. They sliced some openings in his elbow today to allow for drainage, so he will be there for possibly two more days.

But, you wouldn't believe the amount of internet research that has gone on between he and I while sitting in that hospital room. He is tightening up the shot group quite a bit.

What he really wants to buy at the moment is a Remy 700 barreled action nested in a magpul stock in mossy green with a vortex sitting atop.

He thinks the Ruger scout looks "Too small" and the 22" and 24" Remington barrels about right. Funny how it is about looks to some extent, but, hey, its his gun.

After what everyone has said about the 30-06 I'll give that another look. We have several guns in the .308 so he is both familiar and likes it. We also have a bunch of .308 so that figures as well. But, I can see the 30-06 because of the heritage of that round reaching into our military which he already identifies as his people.

I haven't looked at any recent Remy 700's but over the years I must have owned 20 of them and still have my favorite .300WM. One thing that one of you suggested was a Ruger M77 which I essentially forgot all about. Liking that action and along with the Sako from days past, we may give it a look

Basic wood or nylon stock is a no-go as he wants that Magpul look.

And just today, he got the $1000 prize finally, so he is in the starting blocks just wanting to bust out of that hospital.

Oh and by the way, with minimal pain med, that kid allowed those doctors to make two incisions, then run probes and Q-tips up inside his arm and in and around the elbow joint. He never said a single word, even though the doctors kept asking. They did the procedure in his room, four of them over maybe 20 minutes.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 05:34:06 PM »
My 7mm is an M77, awesome action and I like the magpul stocks too.

I got the Kwik Klip kit for my 77 as the magpul was not out yet and I wanted a magazine vs door.

Also think there is very little a 30 can't do vs the 06.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »
The remy 700 is universal and later when he wants to really take the accuracy up a notch, smiths and parts abound that can blueprint the action and rebarrel.

Sounds like a tough kid.  My question is: Did he watch them make the incision and do the clean out?  That should give you a clue about where in the military he should likely serve....

It’s a whole different ball game if he wanted to take over and do his own incision and clean out....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »
The remy 700 is universal and later when he wants to really take the accuracy up a notch, smiths and parts abound that can blueprint the action and rebarrel.

Sounds like a tough kid.  My question is: Did he watch them make the incision and do the clean out?  That should give you a clue about where in the military he should likely serve....

It’s a whole different ball game if he wanted to take over and do his own incision and clean out....

Yes he did

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »

Yes he did

He did on which one....lol

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
I'm going to diverge from everybody else.  While the 30-06 and .308 are both great rounds from a usability standpoint the 6.5 CM is what I would recommend.   It would be a great round for hunting a variety of critters.  Low on recoil so you can easily shoot it all day even without a brake.  I put 88 rounds through mine yesterday afternoon with no issue.  That makes just over 1500 rounds through that barrel since the first of the year. I know you can put a brake on those larger calibers to rain in the recoil, but they are wicked loud then in a hunting situation with no ear-pro.  It has been around long enough now that it has proven it isn't going to just be a fad and disappear.  I can easily buy match grade ammo for about $0.90 per round.  You won't be able to find quality .308 ammo any cheaper.

I say he has a 50/50 chance of getting a decent shooting Rem 700 from the factory.  There are other manufacturers that I would highly recommend, but unfortunately as seems to be the trend they are not USA made.  I think you would have a better change of getting a better shooting stick from Ruger over Remington.  I am an advocate for buying a barreled action and putting it in a good chassis or aftermarket stock.  Which Magpul is he looking at, the $350 or the closer to $1000?  A couple other options would be a KRG Bravo.  I've been running one for just short of 2 years now shortly after they came onto the market and have been extremely impressed with it.  If going to a removable magazine isn't a necessity there are some decent budget priced adjustable wood stocks out there.  stockystocks is a good place to search.  Grayboe is also another decent budget option for Rem 700 stocks.

A fixed 10 power is way to much magnification for hunting. For hunting purposes the max I would want is 3 power.  The Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 FFP will likely be the optic I put on my next hunting rifle.  There are other Vortex Viper options that might work well from him and be a bit more budget friendly.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Couple quick questions for you guys. How many gun companies are still in the US? Who are they?

I really like my Savage .270. Its a plane Jane no nonsense rifle. I didn't want anything fancy. It only cost me if I remember right just short of $400. With a scope included.  I don't remember exactly what scope it was but it was junk. After 3 rounds through the gun the cross hairs started spinning every time I pulled the trigger. So they upgraded me to a Bushnell 3-9x 40 mm with the dusk and dawn optics for free. I have not had a chance to try it out yet.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
Couple quick questions for you guys. How many gun companies are still in the US? Who are they?

I really like my Savage .270. Its a plane Jane no nonsense rifle. I didn't want anything fancy. It only cost me if I remember right just short of $400. With a scope included.  I don't remember exactly what scope it was but it was junk. After 3 rounds through the gun the cross hairs started spinning every time I pulled the trigger. So they upgraded me to a Bushnell 3-9x 40 mm with the dusk and dawn optics for free. I have not had a chance to try it out yet.
I purchased one of those in .308 last Christmas for one of the pre-rangers. We've only run a couple boxes of ammo through it, but the scope is working and all dialed in @ 200 meters.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
New gun purchase
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
For traditional hunting rifles:
Remington
Ruger
Savage
Kimber
Marlin
Henry
Thompson Center/Smith and Wesson
Higher end Weatherby
Winchester makes their parts here but assembles them in Portugal.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:52:23 PM by longball »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
Did Ruger quit?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
stainless .308 for hunting clear cuts in wet Washington state

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
I thought weatherby moved to mfg to Japan?

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
New gun purchase
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
Did Ruger quit?
Terrible oversight on my part. That’s a beautiful No. 1

I believe all of Ruger’s centerfire rifles use hammer forged barrels. That’s a big plus.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:03:13 PM by longball »

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
I thought weatherby moved to mfg to Japan?
Their Vanguard line is made in Japan by Howa, which are great rifles. Their Mark V was still being made here last time I had my hands on one. It has been a few years though.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
I missed several so I edited my post to add them. Thank you to the gentlemen who pointed them out.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
Beautiful gun Bob. Did I mention that we're related? Thought I'd let you know so you can update your will...... father.

Lol

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 05:02:08 PM »
Well Ken I will need to think on this.. Your age and my spent time in Az Tex area don't match up. Sorry man! I do have a really nice figured wood in a  No 1 25/06 we could talk about...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
Beautiful gun Bob. Did I mention that we're related? Thought I'd let you know so you can update your will...... father.

Lol

Ken, I call bull schiff. No way an apple falls that far from the tree. Bobs far to refined of a guy to even consider carrying those hammers (19 cough 11 cough) around that you do.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »
OK, so we closed the deal today

He purchased a new Remington 700 ADL stainless with a plastic stock and a 3X9X44 scope

in

30-06!

Yup, in the end, he wanted to stay true to the US Army circa 1911 days and buy a long action 06. He just loves it

And listen to what happened, this is so cool. The kid saved and worked (I pay them $4 an hour for labor) and had around $575 cash plus that $1000 check from the prise money he won at the community old fashioned day celebration.

So the gun cost five hundred something without tax, and KY charges 6%
In addition we purchased 3 boxes of Remington Core-Lok ammunition which when I checked was 25% off the list price of $19.99 a box. So doing the math, we should have been sitting north of $600, but the cashier rang it all up and asked for $445!
We questioned the number, but she said that the thing was clearance priced at 25% off. The ammo was 25% off, and the weapon was a fresh arrival, not a clearance item. The store manager is the guy who brought the gun to the register and supervised the checkout, so it makes me wonder if he just wanted to show the kid some love because we easily saved 25% off everything. That $500-something gun rang up at $379 and the rest was the three boxes ammo and the tax.

What a nice surprise! We even questioned the sale at checkout, stating that the numbers could not be right with a rifle priced around $500, but they insisted, so we accepted it and the Pre-Ranger walked out the proud owner of a new Remy!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Maybe preranger should spend the savings on lottery tickets ! Great deal

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2019, 10:52:57 PM »
Outstanding!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »
That’s a great way to buy a new one! Glad he got a deal!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »
Good story.  Great purchase.  Develop dope and shoot often.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2019, 12:24:50 AM »
Cool, you tried to be fair too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
This kid is just liv9ing right or something

So today, we had an appointment for imaging of his elbow (To see if any fluid pockets remain) up in Liberty Township, OH. As we pulled off the highway right there sat a Cabela's!

So guess where we stopped after the ultra sound???

He wanted to look at that Benelli Super Nova, which it turned out that they had in both cammo for $599 and black for $499. We almost purchased it, but before doing so, Jim our salesman suggested we tour their library of used guns, which we did. And guess what we found in there? A Benelli Super Nova for $249 which we quickly snatched up.

I'm getting a bit jealous at these purchases.

I just may look for a good used 30-06 myself as a "hunter" and I sure am liking that Benelli as compared to my Mossy's, and winchester 12 gages...

Have...To...F i g h t... o  f  f... t  h  e.... t...e...m...p...t...a...t...i...o...n...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal