Hello Guest

Author Topic: SquareD Part 8, This thing ever going to get finished?  (Read 108357 times)

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: SquareD Part 8, This thing ever going to get finished?
« Reply #550 on: December 24, 2018, 02:09:12 AM »
Wow! I take a couple of months hiatus from the site to get ready for deployment, expecting to come back here and see Square D up and running, cruising the malls, and terrorizing mulch pits throughout the Kentuck! I'm disappointed Big D!  :cry:
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 24, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Wow! I take a couple of months hiatus from the site to get ready for deployment, expecting to come back here and see Square D up and running, cruising the malls, and terrorizing mulch pits throughout the Kentuck! I'm disappointed Big D!  :cry:
Where ya headed, can you say?
Want to include you and your men, in my prayers...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 25, 2018, 04:51:51 AM »

I'm at Arifjan, Kuwait. I appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 25, 2018, 07:12:07 PM »

I'm at Arifjan, Kuwait. I appreciate it! Merry Christmas!
Never left any boot tracks there.

Kuwait, yes, but any of our bases, nope!

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 05, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »
As someone who is wrapping up a manual transmission swap, I'm in the "sort out the automatic" group.  The pedal isn't that big of a deal, all the holes should be marked. My issue now is trying to get the tunnel in the floor sorted out. I have a floor pan from my donor truck, but it's an 86 standard cab and my truck is a 74 crew cab, so they're a bit different.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 13, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
Ok, I'll be making a statement here

The Square D project is cancelled.

I have discontinued the work on the truck and am now in the process of disassembly.

I know, huge change, why, is what everyone is thinking, some audibly I would imagine. So here it is, The project always had one critical flaw that no amount of fixing could help. That being it is really a two seater, stretching to a three seater. That was hardly suitable for anything other than a personal vehicle or a recon vehicle in the zombie Apocylapse scenerio. That fact always grated on me, and I was the one pouring time, effort, and money into it. I just got to a point where I had to face that fact

What brought it all to light was the famous call I got from Mike when the truck was at the Diesel shop. The call where he asked me for the torque converter bolts. I had forgotten to install those, and along with that, he feared there was some issue with the torque converter mating up to the flywheel.

What that means in english is I would have to pay him to get in there to explore around at $120 an hour. Early estimates hovered in between $2K and $3K just to get that far, then solve the problem and drive on. Additionally, something was amiss with the hydro brakes as the system kept popping seals. We never figured that out.

Finally there was a title related issue with it. I purchased the truck and had the seller sign the title. THat person left the face of the earth and I could never locate him again. You see, he signed in the wrong place, and the signature was not notarized. The registration clerks gave me no where to go. Couldn't get another title, not a salvage title, nada. Someone promised me to find a title and vin tag which I might have been able to switch out, but that person never followed through.

So in the end, I was stuck eight ways to sunday and I just decided enough was enough. I purchased the 02 Suburban, initially thinking it would just be a driver, but later decided to pick up on it where I had left off with SquareD. I'm doing that as we speak.

The truck known as SquareD is no more. It is being dismantled down to a bare frame and sold off. I decided to do it that way, because I could never command what it was worth with it not being driveable, and it is actually worth much more in parts than it is all together.

So that's it, it's done, but it was not all for nothing. That truck brought together a strong community of men who try to serve the Lord, and for that reason alone the truck surpassed anything I could have imagined for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal