Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1326486 times)

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #6550 on: May 25, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »
I ran premium in my 6.2L so better fuel I think helps hp (at least in my mind, lol), not sure what they recommend though.

JR may be on to something, I haven't looked at GM truck sales figures lately but a year ago they were dismal & declining. Part of that stumped me when I was trying to buy as they should have been willing to deal quicker than they were when I was looking. It's hard to get one dealer anymore to drop much below another. They are all pretty well on the same page as far as pricing, I blame the internet and technology for that as I think it is controlled pretty tight from the top anymore. The only thing I have really been able to do in recent years is to get them to throw in extras at the particular dealership such as extended oil changes & warranties. You know the other freebies when you start fine tuning a deal. My mom's lesbaru I was able to get her an extra $500 in oil changes and $1000 towards things like weather tec floor mats etc. Her's was a lesbaru corporate unit with 6K on it.

Lesburu... too funny. I think the biggest drawback for the Denali is it doesn't come in red.  :facepalm:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: May 25, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Let me see, Kat owned a Denali XL, I owned a Denali pick up, and I also owned a Cadillac all with the 6.2.

THose 6.2's were just a tad bit over 400 HP I seem to recall, like 405HP???

Ours were not particularly thirsty. I seem to recall expecting 15-16 avg per gallon most of the time.

But what they do deliver is abundant power. You seldom find yourself struggling anywhere, the thing just torques up hills and accelerates briskly

But those earlier 6.2's have been eclipsed by these new more powerful and leaner 6.2's. I'd expect with the additional power and with the lighter weight of more modern trucks that owning one would start to be downright fun!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
15-16? I musta been doing something wrong, was thinking 12-14..... :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:54 AM »
15-16? I musta been doing something wrong, was thinking 12-14..... :tongue:
We never saw mileage that poor.
I did own a Hummer H2, as you know
Different motor, the 6.0
That thing sucked gas like crazy. Best you could hope for was 12, but 10.5-11 MPG was the norm. Just awful.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
I would grab the 5.3. it's your 3rd, and would be the missing link imo ( let's be honest tho, we always want mo powa)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: May 25, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
Dave, my wife had a 6.2l in a Denali. It wasn’t that we couldn’t afford the vehicle or the fuel. However, it annoyed me how much fuel it drank regardless.......

But, it did run well granted......
I don’t mean it in a negative manner but when ya really look at the cost difference in 14 mpg and 18 mpg for a average years driving.   $3.00 a gallon.  15000 miles a year that’s $2500 in fuel vs $3214 which really is only $700 bucks difference.  But it does hit you if you drive a lot more than that.   Or if your lookin for distance with out fill up. 

So if we talk about $700 bucks for that much HP knowing he likes Boost (we all like BOOST) I would say get the 6.2 and live it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn’t the 6.2 like mid or premium fuel too?

Ken,

slap me if I'm wrong here, but aren't the 6.2's low compression, and should be able to run on 87oct?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #6556 on: May 25, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »
I ran premium in my 6.2L so better fuel I think helps hp (at least in my mind, lol), not sure what they recommend though.

JR may be on to something, I haven't looked at GM truck sales figures lately but a year ago they were dismal & declining. Part of that stumped me when I was trying to buy as they should have been willing to deal quicker than they were when I was looking. It's hard to get one dealer anymore to drop much below another. They are all pretty well on the same page as far as pricing, I blame the internet and technology for that as I think it is controlled pretty tight from the top anymore. The only thing I have really been able to do in recent years is to get them to throw in extras at the particular dealership such as extended oil changes & warranties. You know the other freebies when you start fine tuning a deal. My mom's lesbaru I was able to get her an extra $500 in oil changes and $1000 towards things like weather tec floor mats etc. Her's was a lesbaru corporate unit with 6K on it.

Lesburu... too funny. I think the biggest drawback for the Denali is it doesn't come in red.  :facepalm:

Uh oh, better get Maaco!  He could always paint it

Heck, our 3.6L V6 Acadia only gets about 16 on average... I can stretch that to about 20 on the highway.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:55:31 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: May 25, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
Dave, my wife had a 6.2l in a Denali. It wasn’t that we couldn’t afford the vehicle or the fuel. However, it annoyed me how much fuel it drank regardless.......

But, it did run well granted......
I don’t mean it in a negative manner but when ya really look at the cost difference in 14 mpg and 18 mpg for a average years driving.   $3.00 a gallon.  15000 miles a year that’s $2500 in fuel vs $3214 which really is only $700 bucks difference.  But it does hit you if you drive a lot more than that.   Or if your lookin for distance with out fill up. 

So if we talk about $700 bucks for that much HP knowing he likes Boost (we all like BOOST) I would say get the 6.2 and live it up

Doesn’t the 6.2 like mid or premium fuel too?

Ken,

slap me if I'm wrong here, but aren't the 6.2's low compression, and should be able to run on 87oct?
No-6.2's are 11.0:1 I think

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: May 25, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »
5.3L is 9.5-1, 6.2 is 11.5-1. I had them mixed up.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: May 25, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
Charles just buy the more expensive one & have it painted red. Do your part & stimulate the economy...... :popcorn:

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #6560 on: May 25, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
How about get the loaded Z-71 with the 5.3 and the color you like, then take a portion of that $6k difference and turbocharge that pig. You could make more power than the 6.2 and still have a reliable and fun daily driver that’ll run on 87 octane.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: May 25, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Those Denali's are stupid money to fix from my experience...all of the extra goodies, like rear slider, sunroof, etc...the yukon denali versions have crazy expensive shocks (not sure on the 1/2 ton trucks), and usually flex fuel. I also don't like the aluminum blocks personally.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: May 25, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
Hope the 6.2 are better than the 5.3 for mileage. I normally got 11-12 and once 16 on the highway! ONCE,,,,,,,,

Iron block 5.3, tune it a little and save some $$$. 20+ on the highway and you have cheap gas there anyway!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: May 25, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
wow, you clowns are a real help :tongue

So I blew off the chevy dealer.  GM is not pushing the incentives on their higher end models.....and this quickly escalated from a cloth interior daily driver to another house purchase.

So I'm working 4 dealers on a white (yes you boneheads, not red) Denali Ultimate package.  I can't get a straight price quote from anyone.  Dealing with 20 year old " internet sales managers" and other people who give used car salesmen a bad name.  I especially love the young girls who wouldn't know a 6.2 from a 5.3 if you showed it to them on the sales pitch sheet.....

First one who gives me a deal that doesnt have some fine print like you must be coming off a buick lease! (really) I'll probably just show up and hand them my wallet and tell them to get it over with.

On top of that I'm getting a cold from all the sick people I was stuck in a metal tube with wings for 3 hours this week.......
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: May 25, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
Oh and thanks Nate.  Thanks to you I'm 15 grand over my original budget......

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: May 25, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
Red paint job here we come.......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: May 25, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »

Exterior Red Rhino-lined here we come.......

FIFY... gotta have vision Shawn

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: May 25, 2018, 08:56:14 PM »

Exterior Red Rhino-lined here we come.......

FIFY... gotta have vision Shawn

Normally yours involve H, I’ll stick to my limited vision.....

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »

Anything to help  :beercheers:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: May 25, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »
High rollers. ^^^^

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: May 26, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Is that pre or post red paint treatment?
I use treatment as red Rhino liner could be an option
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: May 26, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
I averaged 20.5 mpg with my 2014 5.3. today.  crew cab with a 6.5' box. Had the cruise set at 75 with a slight head wind.  It's no diesel but has plenty of power.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: May 26, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
Nice Bear. That’s pretty good for 75mph

Started a little project today.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: May 26, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
5.3 CC with a 6.5 bed? Thought all those were 5.5s?

Good mileage for sure!

TRN, making the door from steel too?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 26, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Did the replacement of thermostats on the LML for the morning.  Cleaned up the garage putting things away, used my hillbilly broom (leaf blower) to clean it out.  Nate kept me laughing working on the truck with texts and then shows me BACON with Makers Mark in the background.  This was a bad influence, as I had a beer and a sandwich about 10:45am.  Then mowed the back yard, bagging it (rarely do i do so) to make it pretty and get rid of the hay that's accumulated since the rain, sun, rain cycle that had it growing like crazy.  Leaving out of town for the week, so I'll need to rely upon the Mrs. to do it at least once.  We had an air quality warning today due to 88 degrees etc. - I must be getting old, cause I could feel it while chasing the mower around at 1pm, wearing a black shirt and light jeans.....'naw that didn't have anything to do with how I felt!  I then cooled off in the shade with another beer.  Then commenced to pack for upcoming adventure!  BOBBY - we will be running by Maplewood Meats when we head home Friday morning - probably around 8am - 10am, let me know if you are free and wanting to meet. (meat-up!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:01:41 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: May 27, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »
Did the replacement of thermostats on the LML for the morning.  Cleaned up the garage putting things away, used my hillbilly broom (leaf blower) to clean it out.  Nate kept me laughing working on the truck with texts and then shows me BACON with Makers Mark in the background.  This was a bad influence, as I had a beer and a sandwich about 10:45am.  Then mowed the back yard, bagging it (rarely do i do so) to make it pretty and get rid of the hay that's accumulated since the rain, sun, rain cycle that had it growing like crazy.  Leaving out of town for the week, so I'll need to rely upon the Mrs. to do it at least once.  We had an air quality warning today due to 88 degrees etc. - I must be getting old, cause I could feel it while chasing the mower around at 1pm, wearing a black shirt and light jeans.....'naw that didn't have anything to do with how I felt!  I then cooled off in the shade with another beer.  Then commenced to pack for upcoming adventure!  BOBBY - we will be running by Maplewood Meats when we head home Friday morning - probably around 8am - 10am, let me know if you are free and wanting to meet. (meat-up!)

my buddy gave me some glass tumblers some years ago that he had etched "the enabler....go ahead just do it!" on them for me.  i just assisted you in your justification is all............. :beercheers:  :popcorn:  :grin: 

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 27, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »
Got the wife to do a 4 mile bike ride this morning, her first for the year so it was a good start for her.

Picked up two 9# butts which I will post later to throw on the smoker this PM. Been researching tires and wheels for the jk, sent some emails out to see who can give me the best deal one of which was our very own Mark@NTW.

I was trying to buy a set of border patrol Hutchinson wheels from Norm for it but I think that’s a no go now. Tate has the last of my front 60 parts inbound as of end of last week.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: May 27, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
Those are some sweet wheels. Love to get a set vs the H1s.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 27, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
Those are some sweet wheels. Love to get a set vs the H1s.

Yeah, I wanted to too......
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:50:56 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 27, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
Fitted the pool cover hoping to warm it up. Still under 70* and the daughter has friends coming to swim tomorrow!

Sold the saw on CL for asking after posting last night. Paid for 1/2 the new saw!

Maybe after I post a pic with the stock H1s Norm will feel sorry for me and sell them,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: May 27, 2018, 03:30:20 PM »
Is that one of those trim to fit bubble wrap type covers JR?  I was looking at those

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: May 27, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »
Yep, it was around $50 and took around 20 minutes to cut. Needs a little more but is pretty close.

I used to get oversize and put weighted bottles around the edge which was not bad. But everytime the wind blew it was a chore so going this way now. Still have to get the solar going too. Pump seized and I got a hole in a panel when building the room. Will see how the AC works as 90+ is predicted for monday.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: May 27, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
JR, GLO makes parts for the stock H1’s. I have an order of stuff due to arrive in a couple weeks. As such I’ve run 2-3 different sets on a couple rigs. For 16.5 tires they work well & are ok, thinking I will buy an inexpensive mag set of wheels and set the jk up for 8 on 6.5 Then down the road will buy a nice set of aftermarket beadlock wheels when I do the atlas & full cage if I go that route. Once I get the axles under it and a few small things I may just run it. I don’t plan on crazy stuff any longer anyhow.

Then again maybe Kay killed Norm, buried him out behind a shed & I can buy those wheels at his estate auction?   :huh:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:31:31 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: May 27, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
I am pretty happy with the H1 wheels cept the wieght. I kinda like the idea of steel as they can be straightened out if need be, alum just breaks!

Mine cleaned up nice and the beadlocks seem to function well. They look to be the thick horse matting and cut to fit the rim is all. I few screws with sheet metal holds the shape. Maybe an product idea vs plastic or mag stuff. I did get these from a local off road guy but have not heard of them otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:35:35 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: May 27, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
I always cut down the stock magnesium run flat & used those.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: May 27, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
Built me a system to take my truck shell off

Attached these with grabber screws

Measured the bottom and top widths a little to close but it works

A little back in action and lift one end under the shell
Some assistance from the ten yr old
And pull out

Put the brackets on the shell to keep the boards from slipping off the shell
Now the truck looks naked

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:07 PM »
I got this gorgeous woman to go with me out to play 18 today.

She has her first formal lesson next saturday afternoon... :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:24 PM »
Nice rack Dave. Picked up my rockwool today, well 1/2 because the shell was still on.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: May 27, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
Nice Dave, fixing to do something similar with my jk top. Already bought 4 pulleys and the rope....

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
Been trying to get rid of the raccoons in the ceiling/roof of the garage since we moved in. I’ve trapped a couple and shot one in the garage. Today we found this little fella all alone in the garage.  He had fallen through a hole in the drywall ceiling. We could hear another one up there so I proceeded to tear out a little more ceiling and we came away with two, but no momma. She must be dead or gone because they can be pretty possessive of their babies. I’ve managed to close up all the exterior holes now, so I’m hoping I’m done for now. We’ll see.

Any ideas what I should do for the ceiling in the garage. It is all Sheetrock now, but i need to tear some sections out due to water infiltration as well as cleaning up from generations of raccoons. Do I just replace with Sheetrock or go with thin plywood?  Or strip it all out and go with bare rafters?  Keep in mind it’s a 6000 soft garage, so replacing all of it would not only be a monumental task, it would be rather expensive.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: May 27, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
Can you take a photo Dave of what your working with for us visual folks

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: May 27, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
5.3 CC with a 6.5 bed? Thought all those were 5.5s?

Good mileage for sure!

TRN, making the door from steel too?

In 2014 they started doing some 1500 crew cabs with the 6.5' bed.  They are rare and i had to do a lot of searching to find the right used truck last summer. 

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: May 27, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »
Can you take a photo Dave of what your working with for us visual folks

Here’s a couple pictures. First one shows a full length shot of the garage, the second is the area I was “working” in today. You can see in the second picture where I pulled a couple sheets down and where there is some water damage and mold on the other areas. I know I need to pull down everything with mold and I’ll need to clean up the raccoon detritus from up above before I close everything back up. There are maybe three other areas that have some mold showing.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: May 27, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
Personally I’d go with plywood.

Nate that’s awesome.  I’d love anyone of mine to want to play golf.

Still fighting a cold but mowed today and then worked in the garden trying to recapture the garden from weeds. Wife and kids have not been keeping up their end.

Then did bible study and took a short nap while a rain cam through.

Made this towel rack / shelf with the help of the little one

Then a little chillaxin

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:40 PM »
If it were me I would search around and find the local source who rolls their own steel siding and roofing (pretty common for small outfits to do this now on their own). Tell him what you have to replace (whole ceiling) and you’re trying to do it cheap. They probably have drops (maybe mismatched colors etc) then pull drywall down section at a time and replace with steel. My 2 cents

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: May 27, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
I meant to add, the roof over this section of the garage was the only part that wasn’t metal, just rolled out asphalt, about 27x40 area. I’m picking up my metal roofing this week to recover that and hopefully stop anymore water issues.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: May 27, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »
TRN, nice rack,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I sure hope there is some proof in that beverage

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: May 27, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »
I got this gorgeous woman to go with me out to play 18 today.

She has her first formal lesson next saturday afternoon... :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton:
My daughter is like fourth in the state for high school golf.  Than decides she doesn’t want to golf for college.  $$$$ down the drain

I agree with Tex. Plywood is easy to install no tape needed and you can still paint the stuff. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: May 27, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »

Maybe..... :-)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: May 27, 2018, 10:56:16 PM »

Maybe..... :-)

Charles did you get the message i sent you?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal