Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sending a young man off  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Sending a young man off
« on: June 17, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »
So, the time has finally come. In just days I will be driving my pre-Ranger, Nate to the recruiting station where he will soon thereafter depart to start his life as a soldier in the US Army.

You know I may act all tough and big and bad, but I have to admit, I am really sad at seeing him leave, and I am a bit scared. How does that fit with my faith you ask? I can't answer that, but to say, in the end I am just a dad.

My boy who grew up in my home is so eager to be the best and toughest warrior in the Army. I know  that there is someone out there wearing a different uniform who is tougher. We all have our champions and for every great and strong and brave soldier, there is an opposite and more equal. I am just not my good old happy, care free self. You see I seemed to have forgotten all the close calls, and just shucked it off, but now my son will soon be sent off to uncertain danger and I have to say I am not very good with that prospect.

Yea, I know that God watches over we fools, but God has a different way of looking at things than I do, and I wonder if he is getting it all right. I mean, I live in a country where right is wrong, where good is not good, and where liars and fakes rule the roost. My president is a stumbling old fool, and his VP nervously laughs her way through the difficult times. These are not the serious people I want making the big calls which may send my son off to war.

The culture will now teach him to accept and embrace those who choose immoral lifestyles, and he will hear that America started oppressing blacks in the 1600's. Although I strongly object and disagree, that is not the point. A minute spent talking about some freaks sexual orientation, is a minute not studying the art and craft of war. Soldiers in China are not concerned with opinions, but with martial arts, studying our army, and training on increasingly modern weapons. None of these freaking cowards who are now running our nation will ever do any of the heavy lifting, no, that task will ultimately fall on the shoulders of my son and the men around him.

He wants to complete Ranger school. He feels that is some ultimate test of manhood, and to some extent it may well be because it is tough, takes character and builds it, and shapes the man who wears that tab. Ultimately, Nate wants to become a green beret, and I really hope he makes it that far because from my experience, he will be the safest with those fierce men. I keep planting seeds about becoming an aviator, but my pearls are falling on rocky ground. He has not the heart to fly, but maybe he will change, I can only hope so
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sending a young man off
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:55:00 AM »
Don,

I feel and know the pain your heart is going through. This was much easier when it was us kissing our loved ones goodbye and turning around and walking off to war, it sure put the shoe on the other foot when we are lovingly looking at their backs as they walk away and as a parent it has never gotten easier as time has passed. I do think you are right that Nate would be safer with a group of highly trained warriors in place of standard Army issue GI.

I'm probably not the best one to give advice on this but from having Doug come back safe and sound each deployment and Bret coming home in a flag draped casket. The list of things that I wish I had done/said has haunted me many times over the years. This has changed me. I know ensure everyone in my family knows how I feel about them, when we depart from each other I hold them a little longer and never leave anything unsaid. I have turned into a huger type of person that is in prayer for our military, my family and our country several times each day. Everyone in my faimly except my youngest grandson is saved so I know that I qill see them again but working on him.

I don't think that this helps you one bit and hope I didn't hijack your post. Just wanted to tell you that you aren't alone. I will be in prayer that Nate will return safe and sound to you.

Thank you for raising a warrior that wants to make the world a better place.

Blessing to you

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »
Don,  Pray, hard and often.

Remember he chose Daniel to slay the giant, Goliath.  His ways are not our ways and we do not know His mind, but we know He does not make mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 04:07:04 PM »
As I read what you wrote I assume you may have already but I think the boy might benefit from reading your art words.   

It is amazing how sad our military has become. Soft _____foot chowder heads and as you said China and Russia are building soldiers with one intent, one goal.

Where all here with ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 04:50:57 PM »
Don, let me know if you need anything from Ft. Benning. If he needs anything immediate, I'll do all I can to provide it. Also, be sure to look me up when you come down for a visit. I'll keep Nate in my prayers, from the Armor side of the house.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »
Thanks everyone...

Was just sharing my feelings at the moment. One day left, then we load him up at 0900 tomorrow.

Sean, He will be there on the 23rd, I think, but no look after needed, would not be fair or look right. I will visit with you at his graduation sometime in October, perhaps.

22 weeks of training, I think without the airborne school stuff
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:16:51 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »
While painful, Cherish today and tomorrow.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
Thanks everyone...

Was just sharing my feelings at the moment. One day left, then we load him up at 0900 tomorrow.

Sean, He will be there on the 23rd, I think, but no look after needed, would not be fair or look right. I will visit with you at his graduation sometime in October, perhaps.

22 weeks of training, I think without the airborne school stuff

Understood. I wasn't offering to go down and check on his training status, BTW (unless you want him to get a little extra "training" from the DS, LOL). If a need arises, though. I'm here. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
Update:

We all shared in one terrific weekend together. We shot down at the farm, ate plenty of meals together, had lots of talk time, threw the young man a nice farewell party at a local venue which was well attended. We fished, ate more, swam, 4-wheeled until the wee hours last night.
This morning we drove him to the recruiting station where we said our goodbyes and amid hugs, tears and well wishes watched our young warrior get in a van and drive away.
He is at the regional admin center where he picks up his packet tomorrow after sleeping in a hotel tonight, then will depart Columbus OH around noon.
He will land in two hours in another Columbus in Georgia, then be bused to a reception center where he will process for a few days. He should be pushing down the earth and getting comfortable in a sawdust pit by Saturday.
He will be allowed one 15 min call after the completion of phase one in a few weeks, then another after phase two. I believe the Staff Sergeant said he will graduate from a basic phase in about ten weeks, but then roll immediately into the infantry school for another 12 weeks. There he will steadily get more and more privileges and should graduate from that between Halloween and Thanksgiving.
From there is the big unknown. If he stops with that, he will be assigned to some unit worldwide for his first assignment. If he makes it into Ranger school, then he will stay at Benning for another three weeks of Airborne school, then a couple weeks of a pre-Ranger course, then, I think, four more months of Ranger training.
I know his stated goal is to not only complete the Ranger course, but to actually be assigned to 1-75th, or 2-75th or 3-75th Ranger battalions.
I have advised him to interview with the special forces if they offer it to him, should that happen, add more than a year of additional training to all of the above...

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 08:25:23 AM »
Congrats you have to be very proud of that fine young man!!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 08:48:57 AM »
Congratulations to Nate and they family that raised a warrior

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 08:56:48 PM »
He is about to go comms out. On the bus to Ft Benning after landing.
Phone gets confiscated when he reaches the reception center.
He said he will get one last 30 second phone call. We are currently camped out around the phone awaiting that call...

Three out of four serve or served and the forth will almost certainly do his share as well.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 06:59:18 AM »
Thank you.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 09:12:19 AM »
Good parenting is not dead.  Nicely done Mr. and Mrs. Harward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
Agree with Charles, well done.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:59:49 PM by Flyin6 »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 06:59:57 PM »
May the lord protect him as he protects us. Thank you
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
Wasn't looking for them, but as always, kind words from true gentlemen.

Thank you

We just did what we thought would have been right in God's eyes, and kept our king in the middle of things. We were not easy on them and by many accounts, perhaps a bit too tough. But real men usually grow up under some stress.

Anyway, it's comm out now, so we wait. Next window for a 30 sec call is 3-4 weeks I am told.

I did not know that new recruits are not allowed to sleep for 48-72 hours. And fed very little during the first 10 days. All part of resetting the biological clock.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
At the reception station, Ft. Benning

I am so very proud of my son for wearing the uniform and answering the call.

Third generation in a row, US Army

Now if I can just convince him to become an aviator!!! ;-)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
Thank him for his service. It’s men like him that make me think there is a future for our country.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
That’s awesome, Don. I appreciate his service.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
How cool is that?  :likebutton: We appreciate his service.

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2021, 01:50:11 PM »
Don that is awesome and to have 3 generations serving this country is not something that is seen much anymore. Thank him for his service and blessing to all

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 04:37:20 PM »
Awesome pic, Big D! Looks like the boy is having fun.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
Thank him for me and my family please
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »
Awesome pic, Big D! Looks like the boy is having fun.
Doesn't he look boyish still?
I can't wait to see his pic after he has completed the Infantry school. I have a feeling they will cut his features a bit more gaunt!
The picture of him after Ranger school, if he gets to attend will have him liking like a cadaver...Those people don't eat or sleep!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 10:02:04 AM »
Thank him for me and my family please
Wilco!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2021, 01:20:01 PM »
From a couple of days ago...
Looking more like a soldier
Just advanced from Red to White phase
This is range day, first day he actually launched bullets from his M4
He gave that weapon some Norse name...

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
Looking good

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 07:08:01 PM »
Stop lyin don, that boy is not at the range......

I thought you put him in the army and not the air force?????  Since when does the army serve chow to trainees on plates, especially at the range or in the field!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 08:26:53 PM »
I am betting that isn’t a beer in that glass

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 11:42:18 PM »

I thought you put him in the army and not the air force?????  Since when does the army serve chow to trainees on plates, especially at the range or in the field!
This!

Cmon. Bag lunch.
Eat it on your lap.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2021, 12:26:47 AM »

This!

Cmon. Bag lunch.
Eat it on your lap.

Heres your MRE, you have 10 minutes.....eat it now and taste it later!!!!!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »

That was range day. I figured out that the DI's served the chow to them, allowing it to get good and cold while standing there holding it, then gave them all 5 min to eat what they could...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 10:25:53 AM »

This!

Cmon. Bag lunch.
Eat it on your lap.

Really, they get 5 min for each meal, not 10

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 02:47:35 PM »
Dang, five minutes wouldn’t even be enough time to have looked at the drink menu at Basic. That’s inhumane!!!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »

That was range day. I figured out that the DI's served the chow to them, allowing it to get good and cold while standing there holding it, then gave them all 5 min to eat what they could...

This!

Cmon. Bag lunch.
Eat it on your lap.

Really, they get 5 min for each meal, not 10

:likebutton:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2021, 03:04:49 PM »
Dang, five minutes wouldn’t even be enough time to have looked at the drink menu at Basic. That’s inhumane!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »
We just got this one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
And I hope he listens to those guys with all the stripes on their sleeves!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I can see a change already

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »
And a proud Dad you should be.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »
Great picture! He looks like he's having a blast. ;-)
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2021, 04:15:24 PM »
Great picture thanks for sharing

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 05:09:51 PM »
He looks like a man Don. Well done.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2021, 05:25:32 PM »
He is changing for sure

Funny story: We were talking Sunday, his weekly call of four minutes. His mom asked him if he was getting along with everyone. He answered "No." She pressed, "You didn't get into a fight did you?" Him: "Yes, I did." Her: "How could you do that?"
Him: (Classic!!!) Mom, we are 160 guys all cooped up together, with a lot of testerone. They are teaching us how to kill people, how is that we wouldn't fight?"

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »
Classic indeed!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
Definitely a change  :likebutton:

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 11:46:35 AM »
He is changing for sure

Funny story: We were talking Sunday, his weekly call of four minutes. His mom asked him if he was getting along with everyone. He answered "No." She pressed, "You didn't get into a fight did you?" Him: "Yes, I did." Her: "How could you do that?"
Him: (Classic!!!) Mom, we are 160 guys all cooped up together, with a lot of testerone. They are teaching us how to kill people, how is that we wouldn't fight?"

Perfect answer! And diplomatic, with no curse words...that boy may well be ossifer material! LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2021, 09:08:58 PM »
He is changing for sure

Perfect answer! And diplomatic, with no curse words...that boy may well be ossifer material! LOL!
He is starting to at least listen to my suggestions concerning pilot training. Give him a year of being hot/sticky/filthy/ cold/drenched/frozen/sleep deprived/ and too many "police calls" and he will begin to hear me more clearly ;-)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:08 PM »
You can only hope. Not all want to be warrant officers. Whatever he choses is better than what 90% of today’s youth set as goals.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal