Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1345052 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #1900 on: December 07, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
Sam,

glad you made it back in one piece.

Wilbur,

that Gen/tran panel will be a godsend. I don't know how we functioned without it.

Mikey,

we just transitioned the entire company over to a completely new version of greatplains. I have hated my life since thanksgiving and still dealing w/ bugs, but I'm on the user side so I can only wonder what the IT guys are going through on the daily.

TRN

You claim to be putting the lift blocks back because the back side is dragging, but I think you just miss your former youthful appearance. Happy 50th ya old fart.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: December 07, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »
I just fire up the gens and run a cord. I would like to just plug in but it is crazy priced out here.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: December 07, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »

Mikey,

we just transitioned the entire company over to a completely new version of greatplains. I have hated my life since thanksgiving and still dealing w/ bugs, but I'm on the user side so I can only wonder what the IT guys are going through on the daily.

Us guys in IT call it "Great Pains"  ;D
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: December 07, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »
Jr my grandad would back feed the house by running a double male 220v lead with one end plugged into the gen and one into a 220 outlet. Just make sure you flip the main breaker off and disable all non essential circuits by flipping those breakers.  Not code for sure but it works and is electrically sound since a 220 will feed both legs of 110 in your panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »
Picked up a few things tonight. For all the ammo I have I am very light on hunting rounds. And I picked up a bianchi holster for the 686 to carry with snake shot

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »
Happy 50th Charles!!!

..so our birthdays are pretty close, but you're OLDER than me!! haha (but only by one year)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: December 07, 2016, 09:04:33 PM »
Happy 1/2 Century Charles!

That birthday holster reminds me of a shoulder holster photo of your "alleged" concealed carry rig!  Happy Hunting, may you have a target rich environment, great weather and the time of your life!  Happy Birthday!  ;)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
Happy Birthday and good luck on the trip.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
Jr my grandad would back feed the house by running a double male 220v lead with one end plugged into the gen and one into a 220 outlet. Just make sure you flip the main breaker off and disable all non essential circuits by flipping those breakers.  Not code for sure but it works and is electrically sound since a 220 will feed both legs of 110 in your panel.

If it goes down my main solar does too (who thought that up). In other words as long as YOU backfeed the system you are good, but using it without sharing, bad. My new system has off-grid 1500 watts of power. Then just use the Gen when required (partys, welding, air compressor)

Thats a few $$ in ammo there. Pigs are gonna hate you. I got some of the Zombie bullets to reload (green tip 55gr)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »
Some pics of the elk hunt I was helping out with.  A little snow, a bunch of wind, but very few elk. Pretty normal for the last hunt of the season.
I found a 3x3 halfway up the rim in the first pic (Mogollon Rim), but took a a couple hours to get my buds up to him and he disappeared by the time we got there.
Oh, and a spike ran through camp while the tag holders were still out in the field. lol

Sent from a spaceship

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:12 PM »
Thanks Gents.  I stopped celebrating birthdays in 2005.  The year my youngest was born.  Mine is the 11th and hers is the 13th. Its all about her now, so i'm still 39 as far as im concerned....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: December 07, 2016, 10:07:24 PM »
Happy B-day TRN!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: December 07, 2016, 10:35:32 PM »
Thanks Shawn. Hey Ken! Look at this paperweight I found in the back of the safe. At least its heavy enough I can club them to death with it if it fails.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: December 07, 2016, 10:53:24 PM »
50 is special!

Happy Birthday my friend!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:35 PM »
Had to help my mother put a pup of 14 years down today

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: December 07, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »
Had to help my mother put a pup of 14 years down today

Oh NOOO

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: December 07, 2016, 11:52:05 PM »
Sorry to hear Dave. It's always fallen to me to do that duty. My family gets to say goodbye and then I have to see the lights go out.   One of those things I don't know if the kids will ever understand or appreciate. Don't mind saying I've bawled a few times. Ok more than a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: December 07, 2016, 11:56:02 PM »
Happy birthday Tex, as I remember 50 isn't that tough.

Sorry you had to do that Dave, such a hard thing.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: December 08, 2016, 12:02:26 AM »
Thanks Bob. I feel better about 50 after having whooped all the young pups in volleyball at thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: December 08, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »
Green side of the grass is always the better option when it comes to birthdays.

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: December 08, 2016, 06:20:18 AM »
Picked up a few things tonight. For all the ammo I have I am very light on hunting rounds. And I picked up a bianchi holster for the 686 to carry with snake shot

Happy B-Day Tex!!!

I'm very fond of that TAP ammo for my .223 in the 55gr variety as that seems to be what it like the best. That Precision Hunter ammo is also some top notch ammo. I have not tried it in the .308, but it shoots nickel size groups out to 200 in my 6.5 creedmoor which is almost on par with my 140gr Berger VLD handloads that will shoot dime sized out to 200. Good choice

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: December 08, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »
UPS man came today. All this for under $30 and free shipping.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »
My ex wifes grandpa passed away. Her family is all about 3 hour drive away. I wasn't going to go to the funeral but I changed my mind. I can't miss it.

The old man and I never exactly seen eye to eye. He was very much democrat and pro union. We couldn't be more opposite. But, he took me on my first Goose hunt, took me ice fishing for the first time, we spent many hours drowning worms off his boat. He made fun me when I showed up to fish crappie with my 7 ft long catfish rod. He shut up when I out fished him 5 to 1.
Even though I only seen him once in the 7 years since the divorce. I sure am going to miss the old fart.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »
Happy B-Day Tex! I like being in my 50's....I can still do a lot of the stuff I want to do but also have the wisdom (at least I think I do! Ha) to know what I should avoid!

Good for you Jon....paying respects to someone like that is a nice gesture. Sorry for your loss even if there was a lot of differences between you.

Never thought about just back feeding a system through 220 but essentially that's all the interconnect for the generator hookup does anyway right? All electrical panels and wiring in a house are is an open system and power flows where the breakers let's it. But I will get an electrician to do it so I don't end up running 220 to my TV or something else and burning down my house! Haha  :o

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: December 08, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
Happy B-Day Tex! I like being in my 50's....I can still do a lot of the stuff I want to do but also have the wisdom (at least I think I do! Ha) to know what I should avoid!

Good for you Jon....paying respects to someone like that is a nice gesture. Sorry for your loss even if there was a lot of differences between you.

Never thought about just back feeding a system through 220 but essentially that's all the interconnect for the generator hookup does anyway right? All electrical panels and wiring in a house are is an open system and power flows where the breakers let's it. But I will get an electrician to do it so I don't end up running 220 to my TV or something else and burning down my house! Haha  :o
Wil,

Just a thought

You keep playing with electricity in this manner and you'll stop enjoyin' your fifties abruptly

Just sayin'

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: December 08, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
Will it really is that simple. But, you need to have the plug ends wired correctly, and if you're unsure then qualified help is good insurance.
Now having said that, the dryer plug would be a good choice, providing it's an electric dryer.
Wired correctly that circuit would put the correct voltage on the panel legs, shut off all non essential loads and the main breaker. Back feed to the panel and voila, you'd be in business.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: December 08, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
I was actually just thinking about the same thing the other day.  I figured I could just plug directly into my welder outlet with a 50 amp fuse.   My garage is not attached with a separate box.  I would need to leave the main breaker on the secondary box closed and open the main on the primary.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:16:57 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: December 08, 2016, 01:27:50 PM »
As long as you open the main breaker connecting you to the utility, you are good.
Open all non essential, or even all breakers until you're ready.
Then it's close in to the generator, and add the circuits you need.

The problem with the welder plug is no neutral, if it's a straight 220 plug, without going into details too much it may be hard on the generator. Yes ground and neutral at tied in the panel, just not sure how the generator would like operating sans neutral. It may depend on generator winding arrangement. And that's where the 'details' part gets deep.

Best bets, dryer 40/50amp, range same , even a sub panel or main panel of you had a circuit.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: December 08, 2016, 05:59:49 PM »
Thanks Shawn. Hey Ken! Look at this paperweight I found in the back of the safe. At least its heavy enough I can club them to death with it if it fails.

Hey, that's a beautiful paperweight! I'll be glad to accept that piece of trash if you get tired of lugging it to your desk!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: December 08, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »
That makes sense Sam but yeah.. I'm getting help for sure! I don't mess with electricity!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: December 09, 2016, 07:43:15 AM »
Crawled over some mulch yesterday.

And that was at the gate before I had to go through the mud. :-0

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: December 09, 2016, 12:00:51 PM »
You need some duraflaps on the ol buss

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: December 09, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

Mikey,

Us guys in IT call it "Great Pains"  ;D

^^ what he said! ^^... LOL yeah.. and now everyone is only developing "CLOUD" versions (hosted servers instead of on premise servers) so they can extract more monthly cash from you and sell you the same generic version they resell to everyone else. IT is a racket.  ::)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
As long as you open the main breaker connecting you to the utility, you are good.
Open all non essential, or even all breakers until you're ready.
Then it's close in to the generator, and add the circuits you need.

The problem with the welder plug is no neutral, if it's a straight 220 plug, without going into details too much it may be hard on the generator. Yes ground and neutral at tied in the panel, just not sure how the generator would like operating sans neutral. It may depend on generator winding arrangement. And that's where the 'details' part gets deep.

Best bets, dryer 40/50amp, range same , even a sub panel or main panel of you had a circuit.

I have done this for years as well. In Tacoma WA the trees were killer on overhead electrical. Our house has a woodshed/compressor covered area attached to the back and I would back feed from a plug I wired into it. We had pellet stove inside but electric hot water heater. So I basically used two colors of adhesive dots for my main panel for day and then night operation. If it was purple (day) it ran the refrigerators, pellet stove, TV, lights, etc.... then the black (night) dots turned off most of the daytime breakers and then turned on water heater and a few lights and main Frig. In the morning we had full tank of hot water and could take showers and do dishes. WE lived like that for 12 days while the power was out. No real inconvenience. Burned 10 gallons of gas a day. In New Jersey I wired up to a 50amp circuit that went to my Pool Heater and Pumps. We had an outage within the first couple of weeks I was there so had to scramble to get generator and then wire up. Everything worked fine except the well pump wouldn't run. 220v. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time and then later in the day I noticed that one of the little white push button circuit breakers was popped. I pushed that in and poof! the well came right on. Perfect.

I have a similar setup here in MN with a 40amp Welding Circuit I put in not too long ago.

Like other have said it is not code and frowned upon but as long as you don't have the main hot and it doesn't back feed the grid it works good in an emergency.   

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: December 11, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
Got a slipped belt in a tire on my pickup. I thought the bad carrier bearing was causing the vibration at 70 mph. Fixed that now it vibrates like hell at 40. Smooths out around 60. Pulled the rear tires and re balanced them. One tire stayed the same the other was off. Put them back on the pickup and no change. Put it on the lift and and ran it. I could see the one tire wobbling a little bit. Tires are worn down enough I cant get just one but got plenty of tread I don't want to buy all 4. I cant afford a $1,000 tire bill. I ll take it in to the tire shop monday and see what they say. Firestone transforce A/T with 20,000 miles on them.
Maybe I can find a used one. We wont be pulling the camper to KY this summer so even if all I can find is used P rated one I can throw it on the front and pull the camper around locally.

In other news. I was looking for goslings on hatchery websites. Them little suckers are expensive.  I found a pair on facebook for $25. Suppose to be a mating pair. The price is way cheap either she don't know what she has or somethings up. They were selling for $25 APIECE at the auction.  My luck they will both be male. Its a 4 hour round trip to go get them so figure in fuel I should have just got them at the auction. But heck I love a road trip.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: December 11, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »
We went and bout a vehicle that fits the whole family, 2011 Chevy traverse. It has all wheel drive, seats seven, under 100k miles and should net pretty decent mpg.  Fitting it into my garage was another issue.  It's six inches longer than a Tahoe and I now need to chop a corner of my bench off

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 11, 2016, 04:03:08 PM »
the reason i've been sidetracked on the 715..
replaced choke handle, upper and lower steering bushings, 4 tie rod ends, fuel lines, filter, rebuilt starter and voltage regulator.
since i had it all blown apart replacing front end/steering components.. figured it was as good a time as any to repaint it in some wetland camo

i wanted to keep the 'black' stuff darker, so decided to do a reverse of the pattern used on the body. mostly dark with some light streaks

the front fenders are done the same way the rears are now.
covered it all in satin clear to aid in cleaning it up after trapsing through the woods. it even dried with alittle less sheen than pictured.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 11, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
ohh.. and a shifter boot. old one was torn and letting water get in shifter box. i could see that ending poorly. hahah.

have a new gates belt and handle bar grips heading this way. the belt on there has chunks missing and i'm sure is as old as the machine is (it was 'painter owned' before me.. if that tells you anything. hahaha)

going to pull/cut the bar grips off to get at the power switch on the driver side to see about the connections inside it and reinstall new grips in the process. hoping it's going to ride like a new machine right around christmas

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 11, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Nice job on the paint
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 11, 2016, 06:12:18 PM »
Great job on the paint. A how to is needed on that!!

Got all the Christmas tree stuff down and tree up. Cleaned the leafs up outside which are a real pain. About the size of you finger off a 50ft tree and it takes them weeks to all fall off.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 11, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
i'll see if i can work up a 'how to'. thinking about painting spartan like that?? hahah

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 11, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
Nice paint job!

Well this weekend I replaced the fuel injector and spark plug on cylinder 1 in XJ. Payday the rest of the plugs and wires will be replaced. Next payday the remaining fuel injectors will be replaced.

No pics were taken as I was fighting bolts and limited space for my hands.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: December 11, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
To much work for Spartan. It'll probably be a dark mat grey, blends into anything!

But for other things that is sweet.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 11, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
i'll see if i can work up a 'how to'. thinking about painting spartan like that?? hahah
Second the motion

I'd like to know how to lay down cammo as well as that

Great job

(Or is that a decal???)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: December 11, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »
drove back from hunting today and unloaded gear and went to dinner with the family for my birthday.  After steaks, bugers, fried pork chops and quail, I ate sushi with the family....

Vacuum sealed the sow that I shot.  We ate the quail wraps at the ranch.

need to order a new butler creek flip up for the AR10 scope , a rail QD sling point, and a new Giessele SSA two stage for the LMTAR so I can swap the adjustable trigger out to the AR 10.

Amazon rocks,  most of the stuff for my daughters birthday showed up while I was out hunting.  All flamingo themed presents. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 11, 2016, 08:26:10 PM »

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 11, 2016, 08:31:23 PM »
Scaled quail?  Over dogs?  Been awhile since I've got to hunt "wild" quail - hope you had a ball!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: December 11, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »
Blue and bob-white quail.  No dogs.  Milo on the roads and drive around until we see covey.  Bail out and rush through chest and head high brush until they flush.  Whack one per shooter, get back in the truck and drive some more.  Don't want to pressure the covey too much.

I can tell you that EVERYTHING in south texas has a thorn on it.  Racing through the brush is a chore.

At least at 42 degrees and misting rain, the 6ft rattle snakes are dormant.  Running through the brush in the summer can result in a really bad day when you step on one of these.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: December 11, 2016, 09:24:21 PM »
Just looking at the photo is bad enough for me, I hate snakes. Glad you had a good time and got some shooting in.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: December 11, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
To much work for Spartan. It'll probably be a dark mat grey, blends into anything!

But for other things that is sweet.

sounds about like the color my dad picked for M715.9! hahah

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal