Hello Guest

Author Topic: speedaire compressor  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
speedaire compressor
« on: June 28, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
so I was just kinda flippin through ads for compressors, because I want/kinda need one for my garage.  well this afternoon I came across this little thing for $100. 

it was made in 1965 up in beaver dam WI.  Other than a little bit of dust that clung to the grease residue that was probably from an oil change or 2, this thing is almost immaculate.  it has a little 1 or 2 piston (probably 1 piston) pump head on it, a tiny little 1/2 HP 110v motor to run it.  there is even a little drain valve at the bottom.  from completely empty it takes about 10-15 minutes to build up to the 100psi.  the shut off turns it on at 70 psi and turns it off at 100 psi.

ill play with this for a little bit and probably give eaton a call and see what they say.  maybe ill sell it if a bit bigger one comes along for the right price? 
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: speedaire compressor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
more pics
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:52:00 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
anybody know anything about these?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:53:59 PM »
Nate, now that you cleaned it up I think that is essentially the same unit my grand dad had in his garage growing up. Probably pretty noisy & forever to fill up to pressure. Brought back some memories with those pics.....

Cast iron, single piston & most likely pretty easy to rebuild if needed. Not much to them, change the oil out & air filter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:55:52 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
Yeah, those slow-pumpin' old ones last for ever. Sure cleaned up nice
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »
I think that’s a 30 gal tank if I had to guess.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 11:35:54 PM »
Please inspect the inside of the tank real good before you start using it.  It probably OK as the pumps leaked/seeped oil past the rings so there is oil inside the tank but make sure it didn’t sit with water in it and it’s about to let go from rust.

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »
If ya remember back when I purchased mine. The tank had some pin hole leaks, maybe fill her up and spray some soapy water and watch for some bubbles to verify the tanks integrity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:59:28 AM »
Nice little hobby compressor. 30gal is not bad though.

I still have a little 7gal but am spoiled by my 80gal 2 stage.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 08:53:32 AM »
Please inspect the inside of the tank real good before you start using it.  It probably OK as the pumps leaked/seeped oil past the rings so there is oil inside the tank but make sure it didn’t sit with water in it and it’s about to let go from rust.

I did open the drain valve and yeah there was some nasty stuff that came out of it?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
Oily rust? kinda normal

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
I think this thing is going to go back on the for sale block...…

its just tttttttoooooooooooooooo sssssslllllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwww for me to even blow out an air filter.

I have searched around and come to the conclusion that it will cost me about $500 to rebuild with quality parts, but then that leaves the tank.....which from what I have been told be a few folks is truly only rated to maybe (on the high end of a guess) 115-120psi.

so when all said and done, I will have roughly $600 in it, and then it still may not be able to do what I am asking it to do with out having to pause and let it refill..... :cry: 

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Well, you can for sure upgrade but it will cost you. Most likely cheaper than if you rebuilt this on though.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:59 PM »
Sounds normal for that size. Probably wouldn't be much, if any, better after a rebuild.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
Take it to an antique flea market and slap $300 on it....someone will buy it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Homedepot sells the husky line for a decent price, IFA or tractor supply sell ingersolrand for a good price also,    I will be in the market soon for a vertical, sold my old rebuild when I moved so I didn’t have to move it myself

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
Look hard at those units & try to find a good cast iron unit.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »
so this is the issue.

if I rebuilt this thing, I would definitely go with the smallest pump assembly that eaton compressors make, and that is rated at 13scfm.  but in order to use that pump assembly, I need to have a min of a 3hp motor.  well a 3hp motor in 110v is actually more than the pump assembly itself.  then to top that off, I need to get a new cut off switch.

i do not need a big 60-80 gal 2 stage unit. and i do not want/need a 220v unit.  the two that i have come across that have peeked my interest are:

https://campbellhausfeld.com/air-compressor-30-gallon-vertical-portable-single-stage-5-5cfm-2hp-120-240v-1ph-vt6358.html?category_id=270

https://campbellhausfeld.com/air-compressor-20-gallon-horizontal-portable-single-stage-5-5cfm-2hp-120-240v-1ph-vt6290.html?category_id=78

this one would be great!  but again its 220v and i would have to shell out a bunch of $$$ to have a 220v plug installed in the garage?!

https://campbellhausfeld.com/air-compressor-30-gallon-horizontal-portable-single-stage-10-2cfm-3-7hp-208-230v-1ph-vt6271.html?category_id=78

my biggest issue is, i know nothing about campbellhausfeld?!  on top of that, i am also looking at a higher price tag as well with these units compared to the smaller ones from the big box stores.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:25:03 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
I got this one for the shop from HF and it’s done well for what I need. I added an auto drain

https://m.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-62765.html

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Get a vertical 60 and be done with it. Don't buy to cheap. HF is OK as well as CH, but for just a little more if not the same you can get a Husky-IR-Kobalt.

You will never be sorry for a getting a little to much, but always regret not getting enough. All the verticals use the same room and many are 110v. Sure 2 stage and 220v is better but then they get pricey. You can always tap into the dryer for the unit, did that for years.

There is also https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/ and northern tools that ship free. You may not need a full blown 80ga/7hp, but don't go cheap! https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_air-tools-compressors+electric-air-compressors+60-gallon-electric-air-compressors_0_0_P-Price||P-SalesRank|1
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:16:15 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »
Nate wants 100 cfm without 220. He's used to those 408 volt army units that pump out enough air to fill a blimp.

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
Nate wants 100 cfm without 220. He's used to those 408 volt army units that pump out enough air to fill up ol Hillary.

Fixed it for ya

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 10:30:21 PM »
Nate wants 100 cfm without 220. He's used to those 408 volt army units that pump out enough air to keep up with ol Hillary
Option 2

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:43 PM »

You will never be sorry for a getting a little to much, but always regret not getting enough. All the verticals use the same room and many are 110v. Sure 2 stage and 220v is better but then they get pricey. You can always tap into the dryer for the unit, did that for years.

I think we discussed this & his dryer wasn’t close. Maybe I need to drive to Lincoln and wire a 220v outlet for him....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 11:30:32 PM »

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »
Nice to have a larger compressor in the fall when it is time to blow out sprinkler lines. I have a 220 unit but our friends only have a smaller 120 model. Takes most of the day to blow their lines out. They have 2.5 acres and water most of it so lots of line to blow out.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »

I think we discussed this & his dryer wasn’t close. Maybe I need to drive to Lincoln and wire a 220v outlet for him.... and eat all his smoker/BBQ creations!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Shhhhhh! I didn’t mention compensation on purpose!!  :tongue:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »
A realmans garage without 220v,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
I have three in my garage.  2 50 amps and a thirty

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
The last place I rented I buried a line in conduit from the basement to the garage so I could run the welder.  I buried large enough conduit so that I could easily pull the wire out when we left.  The apartment before that I made a 50ft extension cord and ran the welder from the dryer outlet.  I had to rearrange the laundry area to make it more accessible and dropped the cord out the second story window to the garage.

Now that I own my own place I have a dedicated 30 amp line to run the compressor.  A dedicated 30 amp (with the special 3 prong plug) to run the plasma torch.  And 2 separate 50 amp lines to run the welder.  One is right next to the garage door so I can get outside a ways should I need to.  There is a standard plug-in there for running the welder, and also the special 3 prong plug there for the plasma torch.  I can't torch and weld at the same time so both those outlets are on the same line. I just hate needing to unplug the welder to use the torch, then unplug the torch to go back to welding, etc...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »
Look for an RV ext cord, way cheaper than one that says welder!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
I just bought a 50 amp 25ft extension cord for the trailer and there was nothin cheap about it. But never bought a welding cord so don't know. If needed I would just buy enough wire to install another plug so you didn't need to be changing back and forth.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
Buy off the reel at Lowe’s or other in line retailers like “cable your way” and order your own ends. I’ve built shore power and welding extension cords that way

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
I’ve always built my own cords, welding, extension etc. The welding cord I use currently & made an extension for too were repurposed from a prior three phase industrial setup that went defunct. The cord was purchased with a group of equipment. So I saved it and repurposed it, reality is the the cord is larger than I need and it was 4 wire instead of 3 I needed but price was right.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »
I have three in my garage.  2 50 amps and a thirty

Two-50 Amp in mine
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
Buy off the reel at Lowe’s or other in line retailers like “cable your way” and order your own ends. I’ve built shore power and welding extension cords that way

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What I do too

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
 :facepalm:

what am i going to do with you knuckleheads............

OldKooT

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Nate...I have a upright 220/110 compressor 60gal tank that could be acquired very reasonable. Never tried it on 110V honestly but it can handle blow guns/tires impacts and so forth. Food for thought...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
Nate...I have a upright 220/110 compressor 60gal tank that could be acquired very reasonable. Never tried it on 110V honestly but it can handle blow guns/tires impacts and so forth. Food for thought...

let me finish with this trouble ticket and ill give you a call

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »
Nate, Offer him $100 and a Brisket!

Start out low, bro...He's a hard one!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal