Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Shed  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Shed
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:04:37 PM »
Okay so nothing as fancy as some of the stuff you guys have but I still want it to do double duty as a shed and also a place I can get some work done. It will help clearing out some stuff from the basement that is looking like an episode of hoarders.  ::)

So I had designed a bunch of sheds on paper and priced them out as that way I could get exactly what I wanted. Then I priced some sheds at a local place. Sheesh I was only saving about $800 for what I could get from them. And I could have it in a couple of days as opposed to who knows how long if I had to build it. Not to mention if I screwed something up then that price difference could shrink. So I pulled the trigger.

The one I got is 12x16. They delivered it on a flatbed trailer and that was pretty cool....I knew the trailer was a tilting version but I didn't realize the tongue was also on a hydraulic ram. I wanted it in the back yard (I have a walk-out basement). He backed down in and got it angled pretty close (but in my mind still quite a bit away from where I wanted it). He gets out, starts the tilt and then hits another button and the whole carriage of the trailer (wheels too) starts moving backwards. Pretty slick. He was able to get it basically on the spot I wanted albeit at an angle from what I wanted the final resting place.

So yesterday a buddy came over and helped me move it. We basically had to turn it about 35 degrees in a clockwise manner from where it was dropped. We were going to go further but as I looked at it I realized it was aligned well with the house and also looked better from the street. So I stopped at that point. In my mind when planning it I had planned on pulling the front left corner (as you face it) back toward the trees and also pulling the right rear corner out toward the yard. But ultimately all I needed to do (once I decided that the angle looked good when we were about half way through the turn) was pull the left corner back. The pivot did bring the right rear a little bit forward and it ended up being fine.

Here's how it looks right now from the deck of my house.

In order to turn it I simply drilled some holes in the 4x4's that run under the shed and used the impact to drive some lag bolts in. These provided enough to get a logging chain on it and then run a come-along to a tree to pull it.

Once I had it turned where I wanted it the first step was to put up some shelves.

I am going to add a small 2' "loft" on either side....simply put a 2' 2x4 along the front and back, run a 12' 2x4 from front to back (I will include two more 2x4's out from the side wall to the 12', put some angle braces uner the two "free hanging" 2x4's, then put some plywood on top. It will make a good "storage shelf" for camping totes, beach chairs etc. that we use during the year but I want out of the way when not being used. 

I have a temp home for the generator and fuel until I get the old doghouse re-purposed.

The left hand side will have a 2' bench from front to back. This will be the "work" area. I will have space for tools underneath, my grinder, drill press, etc.

I'm going to run "temporary" power on a plug to the shed. In the shed I will put several outlets as well as lights (looking at LED shop lights). Outlets will run the tools, I figure I can get a small ceramic heater in there as well. (all this will only be after the gas is "relocated" out of the shed. :o).

Anyhoo....this is the plan and here's where it is right now.     

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: New Shed
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:06:19 PM »
That's a nice looking shed.
That size is pretty nice too, same as I have and it's good.
Some days I wish I'd've gone bigger, but then the junk would add up.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 04:15:17 PM »
Hold up, did Norm officially rule this is in fact a "shed"? ;D

Regardless, nice building.......
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Dawg25385

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:30:17 PM »
Nice lookin shed!

Led shop lights from Costco would work nice in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:14:34 PM »
Nice shed Wilbur!

...almost as nice as the woods in your backyard!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:38 PM »
It exists!

Nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
I like the new "man cave" there!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:48:43 PM »
Thanks Sam and stlaser, it will do what I need which is good.

Led shop lights from Costco would work nice in there

Yup....that's what I'm looking at. Although prob Amazon or something.

...almost as nice as the woods in your backyard!

Thanks, they're better in fall with the colors. In summer and fall (until the leaves fall off) I cant see my neighbors which suits me fine.
It exists!

Nice!

Ha! Yep. Thanks. I'll post up a few more when I get done what I want. Prolly about 5 years from now.  ::) ;)

cuda- shhh.....my wife thinks its for storing garden stuff.  ;)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
Wil, congrats on the new shed/shop.  As we here at RMTW all know, having a space to retreat to and call your own is tantamount to mental health for men.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 10:50:19 AM »
Wil, congrats on the new shed/shop.  As we here at RMTW all know, having a space to retreat to and call your own is tantamount to mental health for men.
Here, Here!

Offline Dawg25385

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:24 AM »
Here, Here!
Can I get an amen? A hallelujah?

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
Just gave it a "here-here" ;-)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »
Nice little shed. That looks perfect for some foam insulation for that little heater you will need.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 10:43:01 AM »
So yesterday ran to HD to grab some 2x's and PW for the workbench and "lofts" in the shed. I have come to love the online ordering at HD. I just ordr it online and they text me/email me when it's ready. I arrive and it's all in a cart at the front door. Show them my license and wheel it out. Plus they seem to pick decent lumber so I don't get corkscrewed 2x's etc. (When I'm picking it myself half the time I'm tossing aside the crap to find good ones). So anyway load it up in the trailer and bring it home. Then the fun started.

As the first pic I posted of the shed shows my backyard is below the front yard (walkout basement). Which is good as we can walk right out to the pond. The downside is that side of my house is where all the water from that side of my neighborhood goes to thepond. So it gets wet. While the ground is froze it's not a hard freeze by any stretch. When the guy delivered the shed turned to angle the shed into the spot where I wanted it he broke through a bit and ended up getting stuck. No worries after he dropped it and I pulled him up the hill with the Yukon.

So yesterday I'm trying to make the same angle to get the traileron close to the front door of the shed (I like leaving lumber on the trailer rather than unloading twice- I just grab a board....throw it on the horses etc and go to work). Anyhoo, that angle was the same one as the guy delivering the shed and I felt myself get dragged down into it. Only this time the "crust" was already broKen so no I went in a lot more. Ok....unhook the trailer (fortunately I didn't have so much on it I couldn't back it up by hand) move it back and now try to get the yukon out. Nope....tires are digginger in and I'm sliding closer to the deck (oh and chewing through the flower bed there). So I stop....grab the hilift to try to get it jacked up so I can put something firm under left rear tire. Nope....it's already sunk too low. Fortunately I call a buddy and he's not doing much and says he'll be over later. So I get a couple of hours in on the shed. He shows up and pulls me out. So all in all no problem....we did some rototilling of the lawn I wasn't planning but so be it.  ::)

I'll post up some pics later. The left rear tire track was already filled with water when I got it out. Can't fight water. In the spring I have a sump pump under the deck to pump water to the pond. I need to trench it all and lay some tile in there or a dry well with perforated pvc or something...it's a pita.

But I got the framing done for my lofts and the bench.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
At my last place our house sat uphill from our 3.5 acre pond. Place was by no means flat as we had dips and hills etc around the east side of pond. Some places the water would drain into and stand for days. Then the lower drive went parallel to the east edge of pond, road base and gravel for that drive made a natural dam of sorts opposite side of drive from pond. So I bought a whole mess of 4" pvc solid pipe and some 90 degree fittings. We trenches in the pvc and basically put a drain flush with the yard in all those low spots then the water would flow right where we wanted it to the pond. Helped keep it full and made maintaining property so much easier & dryer. You need drain covers at each end to keep critters out too.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
So I figured its about time I show some progress on the shed.....

I mentioned how I got stuck backing the trailer into the back yard....you can get an idea here of how close I was to taking out the lattice work under the deck....sheesh

But got that resolved.....now on to doing some work....well the ground was pretty icy....and what doesn't show up real well is the ramp to the shed was covered in ice....

I took one step out from the shed....both feet right out from under me.....so on come the Yaktrax...these things are awesome for anyone who hasn't used them....I literally can't slide with them on...

Now I can get to work....

First was framing out the first of the two "lofts"

The helper keeping an eye on the bad guys....aka squirrels....ha!

After the lofts came the first bench....

more to come.....

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Snow was falling.....Nica loves the snow....this gives you a sense of just how good that coat works to insulate her...

I added a shelf under the bench.....brought another bench from the cellar out (the one with the grinder and polisher on it)....hung beadboard along the back (I put some strapping at the bottom of the beadboard so nothing falls between the beadboard and the wall/bench). And starting moving stuff in....need organizing but its a start....

Put some stuff on the loft which I have now moved to the other loft....hard trying to find out what "works" best from an organizing standpoint....I suppose it will always be a bit of a work in progress....

Tried to figure out how best to mount the vice....this is what led me to buying the receiver hitch and vice mounting plate...

So thought about mounting the receiver on the side of the bench like this:

But the receiver tube and plate is pretty long....

And with the weight of the vice its all very awkward....so I built a stand for the vice....I can bolt it to the bench for stability but I can also move it out if I need more room....I mounted the vice so I can swivel it easily if I need to change the angle of what I am holding....

I jury rigged my LED shop lights until I get power run but they work great....plenty of light and draw so little I can run other things while they are on just off my extension cord....

Next step is re-purposing the dog house for the generator....got the door opened up....will build a door on hinges for that...and need to replace the roof. But its a start....I've been keeping an eye on CL for a JOBOX or the like for the gas....I have a resin container I will keep them in for the time being....I may ultimately go to a 100 gallon skid tank or something so not really sure how much I want to do yet....decisions decisions.....

But that's my update so far.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
Nice work. Needed those boots in Yosemite.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Nice work. Needed those boots in Yosemite.

They work really really well. The ones I have are the Yaktrax pro.....they look like wire coils...

A lot of guys on my SAR team use a bigger more aggressive version like these.....

The Yaktrax are great on level or slightly hilly ground....on fully iced over trails I do think the more aggressive versions are better so I will probably grab a pair of those at some point (prob wait until a spring sale or something). But for general around the yard, on the pond use the Yaktrax are really great.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
There were iced over rocks and trails at Yosemite. I literally crawled over spots after watching others,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
There were iced over rocks and trails at Yosemite. I literally crawled over spots after watching others,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

yep....the longer ones would have been great for that. I was fine 90% of the time with the MaxTrax but on a couple of occasions on really steep parts slipped slightly so the longer ones would have been better. Like I say on relatively flat ground the MaxTrax are fine, but on steep rocky terrain the bigger teeth were better.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
It didn't take you very long to fill up that shed! looks good
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
Stuff expands to fit all available space.....G. Carlin
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:07 PM »
I now have a good understanding of what your plan was for the hitch plate, I really still like the idea. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
That is a good idea. Maybe right into the floor?

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
New Shed
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
You could Bolt it to the side of a floor joists so it is flush with the top of the floor, then modify the plate attachment to mount in the end instead of a side.  Than you could build a wall rack to hang your vise, the bench grinder, the polisher and when you want to use them you pull them off the wall and drop into the 2x2 cut out in the wood floor and have a strong attachment point, flexible working space. In fact you could use this same idea with concrete also and pour a attachment into the garage floor

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:40:56 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »
Heck, I was thinking doing that in my garage floor. Cement or not, who cares about a little 2 inch hole?

I like to keep the grinder, sander and things like that as they don't get pounded or cranked on. But a vise needs room and has to be solid.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »
Mounting in the floor might work...and like you say a small 2x2 hole is not big enough to trip anything/cause issues.

It is amazing how fast it fills up for sure. I will be glad when I get the generator and gas out of there.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »
Just put a small cover on it or a plug.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
There has always been a unwritten rule, decide what you think you need for size of a shed, double that figure!  I don't know anyone who thinks they have enough shed or shop or garage or man cave.     That's why we make due and learn. 

With your floor can you pull up a piece to mount the plate?

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
True that on the size. Hard to pull up a whole piece but easy enough to cut a hole if I wanted to. I like the stand I built and I may simply have a single mount with the grinder on 1 side and polisher on the other....not sure yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal