Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1988 RC build/conversion (back to the bumper)  (Read 18063 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 1988 RC build/conversion (Frustrating day)
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
What are you saying Bobby?  My wife would get mad if I bought another truck??
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
What are you saying Bobby?  My wife would get mad if I bought another truck??

Umm yea that was totally what I meant... 

Cause you still haven't lowered the Bus, haven't seen the dually in a long time. I think you sold it! Yea that's it you sold it!

Consider the pot stirred.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
I think bobby is saying that he needs us all to pitch in and pay norm for bobbys new truck???
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »
Well I'll show you the dually. Backed over a Chrysler 200 at the airport last week. Poor guy his car was almost undrivable. Minor damage to mine.

Just ordered a new set of headlights for the Bus. About to put it in the shop and put it under the knife now that I installed the metal door

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
The poor little cars these days really don't stand up to a truck very well do they.
At least  it wasn't the bus, or you could have drove right over him. (Or did you with the dually)

Wow are we ever junkin' up Norms thread here. Sorry Norm.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 02:01:45 AM »
Glad you are keeping it for now Norm. What year was that rear?

Man you guys are getting restless. I bet when SOMETHING RUNS we will all calm a tad,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 02:55:11 AM »
I think bobby is saying that he needs us all to pitch in and pay norm for bobbys new truck???

Na I'm good with XJ. Winter is coming; which reminds me, I gotta catch up on GoT. Full time locker with lots of torque on hard packed snow, ice and black ice.. that's a mathematical equation for nothing good happening. Plus, I'm not really a fan of owning white trucks. Cars, yea I suppose that'd be fine, but for my trucks or in XJs case, I tend to prefer black,grey,silver. I don't know why.. oh well .

Well I'll show you the dually. Backed over a Chrysler 200 at the airport last week. Poor guy his car was almost undrivable. Minor damage to mine.

Just ordered a new set of headlights for the Bus. About to put it in the shop and put it under the knife now that I installed the metal door

Dang.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:56:26 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
My Wife, and our Grandson and I took a spin down to the farm to use the brake, and make a winch mount plate. While down there I figured I would weigh Anvil on our scale. 5427lbs with a almost full tank of fuel and the winch in the back. Not as heavy as I thought it would be.... anyway the scale house/elevator control.

A slightly better look at the leg.

We call this the South Elevator, we have another with larger bins on the N place as well.

Then we took a spin out to a piece of property we own it;s a section of combination field ground, pasture, river bottom, woods and what not. This shot is a 1/4 mile in from the gravel.

a few more as we drive in further...

Finally getting to the pasture, this area has never seen a plow bottom. Indians used to summer here because of the great fishing, hunting and shelter from storms. Today it's home to a few head of cattle.

Getting along much further in here is a shot of the river and valley.

After following the rail line quite some distance you will stumble on the old homestead. If you look close you can see the old settler shack to the left of the falling down corn crib. Some day when we have a camera along instead of the cell phone we will snap some better pictures but I thought you may enjoy.

OldKooT

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »
I tossed up a few pictures to really DOT it up LoL  Besides it's good filler at the moment while I come up with some over complicated way to make a pipe bumper or something.

I see it's Thursday, today is the last day of irrigation, and then we prepare for harvest. Should have close to 20 days of not much to do that's work related. Good time to mend some fences, put up some more firewood, and mow some ditches, landings, and assorted other fire hazard areas.

We are slaughtering hogs and beef this month as well.

On a more truck note: Anvil's issue with the twitchy locker is gone. It's back to normal other than I discovered we have a small oil drip from the turbos oil return line. I should get on the winch bumper project...yesterdays little 4x4 romp across the river bottoms and through the woods was dicey in a few spots on the small 37's

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
Norm,

Really nice looking place in AMERICAS HEARTLAND! Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
I tossed up a few pictures to really DOT it up LoL. 

...yesterdays little 4x4 romp across the river bottoms and through the woods was dicey in a few spots on the small 37's
I guess I'm maybe? a little odd? 37's aren't small to me, they're freakin huge...and you want more, LOL.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
I want to build a log cabin by that river.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:32 AM »
Beautiful place Norm. Beautiful.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

OldKooT

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
Sam, 37" rubber is rather large in some ways/context. Take a drive into that property we were in yesterday, you'd feel a 37" MT is just one small step above a doughnut spare on a full size truck.

Many years ago the railroad attempted to build a dirt trestle across the valley. (2.7 miles) they got about a mile, built two bridges over the rivers and gave up. To this day I still find old rails and massive piles of spikes in the oddest places.

Some day I will fire up the old Unimog which we basically totaled back there in that place, and do a go pro video. It would be easier to show than explain.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 11:28:54 AM »
I'm good with that!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Norm,

That sure is a beautiful place you've got there. If you do decide to part and sell pieces of anvil, I know of a good home for them  ;D PM your email if you would. Also, good choice on not parting Anvil as of yet, that thing sure is a beaut.

OldKooT

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
Thanks Ken, everyone..... since I am stuck at the desk for a bit awaiting a phone call I will share some history on that property with you all. May as well go way DOT LoL

Contrary to popular belief Neb isn't flat. The property in the pictures is part of a rather expansive drainage basin/valley the Indians used to call "wild dirt" in English. There are places where the river banks are 50' above the water. It does a good sandstone imitation of a canyon actually in some areas.

But lets go to the beginning...You must be bored to be reading this BTW.

My great grandfather bought the initial land from a Indian Gentleman roughly in 1917 or so. The old corn crib, and the shack in the one picture I shared was his home. Back in the days of homesteading he had established his little homestead on 80 acres of what was a rich valley his forefathers used to use to hunt and village in during the summers. (some say he was the Son of a chief) Back when everything was done with horses and by hand it must have been a remote paradise. The nearest wagon road was 20 miles south and called the Oregon Trail. Now modern history will tell you that the Oregon trail ruffly parallels interstate 80. This is simply not factual in many areas. One can still see wagon ruts and the wild sunflowers that grow along the length of the Oregon trail, as well as many other wagon roads from those days. (hunting wagon routes is a hobby of mine) But keeping the route closer to I80 suits the narrative so there it is. Closest it ever comes to I80 in this part of Neb that I have ever found, is about 6 miles.

Anyway back to the valley. Great Gramps worked the dirt here, cleared tree stumps cut by who knows who, and expanded that 80 acres of tillable ground to about 120. My grandfather with the aid of a Cat and more modern equipment expanded it to 400 or so around 1940. Today I farm about 400 because that's the extent of what can be farmed. (and that decreases yearly with the flooding of past seasons) But yet I have to back up more yet....to the 1920 era.

Roughly 1920 the Railroad decided it had to cross this valley and they started a real war with my Great Grandfather to acquire access. There were shots fired on many occasions, goverment agents, quite the hoopla if you believe half the locals tales. But in the end the railroad got their access, and began what even the construction engineers called a fool hardy endeavor. This valley runs roughly 27 miles long, they picked the absolute worst place to attempt to cross.

By 1923 or so they had moved enough dirt, and built a trestle which was a earthen design to span about a mile of the valley. This included two actual trestles over the rivers and deep canyon like ravines. Spring of 1924 this area had lots of snow melt and the resulting flooding washed out some of the earthen trestle, thus stranding two locomotives and assorted hopper cars dumping dirt on the remaining bridge. Two weeks latter both the bridges also were washed out tumbling the trains into the now mile wide river and sending it downstream. They at this point gave up the entire project. Family legend has it one of the locomotives they were able to cut up and retrieved along with some of the hopper cars. Legend also says one of them was lost in the quicksand almost a mile from the trestle. Research by myself has found that both Locomotives were claimed as a loss by the railroad to insurance. So, hard saying....there are monster quick sand patches in areas...one swallowed a 4020 JD back in 1974

More history... during the building of this project. a small town sprung up a bit south of the valley on higher ground and at one point had a population of 200+ people, a general store a church and a brothel. Also a small opera house per some folks...when the project was abandoned the rail line moved 8 miles to the West and the town faltered and eventually just about vanished. Today if one knows where to look among a sea of corn and soybeans, you can still find some of the foundations of the old town. The family that owns the old town site property are descendants of the man the town was named for. Very few even know it ever existed.

Back to my valley. Great Gramps got his land back from the railroad. They were happy to let him have it and did. Over the years he bought more and more of the valley and today we own a fair stretch of it. It was no good for crops, too rough for cattle, and I am unsure honestly why he even bought it, but I am thankful he did. Grandma used to say he bought it because the Indian's thought so highly of it that it had to be of value. I suspect he wanted to own the fork of the rivers so he could access the water.

When I was 16 years old my grandfather explained to me that since I was adopted he couldn't give me the farm land the other grandkids were going to get. But he would sell me that "worthless" valley and crop land very reasonable. We struck a deal and I paid him $175 an acre for the entire 2400 acres. I have no idea why I bought it other than I always loved walking around back in there and discovering all sorts of treasure. I once hosted a arrow head collectors "hunt" back in there, and there were over 75 found in one day. Remains of wagons that tried to get across it and never made it. LoL a model T pickup that I have no idea how it got to where it was abandoned. And to this day we still find rails, spikes, plates, you name it, scattered all over from the abandoned trestle project. It's so densely overgrown in some areas I have never even been on some parts of the land. The natural prairie grasses that have never seen a plow are a rare deal anymore, and the university has actually harvested some seeds here for study.

The evidence of the Indians staying there are everywhere. The wild oats that grow throughout the valley, pumpkins, apples, plums, grapes, even sometimes old strains of corn. There are buffalo bones in areas along the river banks and to this day we still have a few elk.

It's now a little hunk of yesteryear trapped by terrain and crops from the rest of the world. I set up a trust to keep it around untouched for as long as I have surviving family members. As much as we'd love to build a small home there, it just seems a shame to ruin it, so it stays as it is. Most people that know of it are long dead or close so as the years go on, it becomes forgotten more and more...which is fine with me.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
Re: 1988 RC build/conversion (way off topic)
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
Freakin awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 12:51:23 PM »
Thanks.  It's great that the history of that is known to be passed down in the family.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
Awesome story Norm. Thanks for sharing.
I get ha with the 37's being too small, just sounds out of place on a daily driver to be too small.

It's funny how back in the day stuff like that was attempted.
What a beautiful chunk of land none the less.
And I can see why you'd be torn to tear it up too.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
I fully intend to have a daily driver on 42" rubber by spring  8)  Think "Crew Cab"  Maybeeeeeeeee LoL

If you ever have the chance to drive I80 through downtown Omaha there is one of the most amazingly odd railroad engineering masterpieces hidden in plain sight. A huge trestle that spanned a large part of Omaha. Originally built of wood they no kidding just dumped dirt off the sides of it and turned it into a earthen trestle. Today it's the UP's mainline LOL

Omaha also has the USA's only known double swing draw bridge
You can read about here.... http://www.johnweeks.com/river_missouri/pages/omaha07.html

On truck related discussion.....it's too hot to build a bumper so I am buying parts online.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
Norm,

I too am glad to see Anvil has "Dodged" the scalpel at this time. However, I know a good home for the parts that are removed  ;D If you would, PM me your email please. Lovely piece of Nebraska you have there, sure wish my old man would have stayed in that area and farmed, especially considering both of my parents are from those parts.

Turner

Turner...I fixed your comment ;-))
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:55:35 PM by Flyin6 »

OldKooT

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
My wife once bought a Cadillac. One of those fancy all wheel drive sport models CTS. Anyway we were in Lincoln at the mall shopping and when I ran back to the car to get my wife's purse for her the alarm went off, and it would not shut off. So after finally getting it to stop I grabbed my phone and listed it on Craigslist. I sold it in the parking garage a hour and a half latter. Anvil has not yet caused any such feelings, so it's probably safe for a bit.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
So which was it.....you sold the caddy, or the lincoln? :)

OldKooT

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »
LoL Ken.... she retaliated after I sold the CTS and bought a Porsche because that was more sensible. A hail storm totaled that a few months latter. Karma I tell ya.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
Wow, she don't mess around. I guess mother nature don't either!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27:53 PM »
Norm- awesome family history and great stewardship of Gods creation!  Another "bucket list" item is to actually find my own arrow head.  My Grandfather farmed in Wisconsin and N. Illinois In his younger years and had cigar boxes of them and even Clovis points- as a Graduate Student I learned how old/valuable those were!  Love the Plains history of your area and chasing Ditch Parrots behind dogs there abouts is what make fall my favorite of seasons!

Thanks for sharing!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

OldKooT

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2015, 07:16:25 AM »
Clovis points are a interesting topic around here. As far as the state's "experts" are concerned not many official finds exist. That said, I know of a half dozen or so personally that have been found.

I suspect Nebraska's history is poorly understood in many cases. If I had the resources, time and patience I'd pen a book on some of the "oddities" I am aware of.

I used to hunt an area near Wis Dells that would turn up a Arrowhead or two almost every time we went out. Also an area near Mountain Wis not far from the famous Pipeline 4x4 trail often produced results. And another near Black river falls...also near a 4x4 trail.

As for hunting...I hear locals say it's going to be a good year for Pheasant. I haven't seen as many as usual but I sure have seen a LOT of Turkey this summer.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2015, 08:04:16 AM »
Allow me to DOT here for a moment

Not knowing if it's true or not

But the guy who is the caretaker for the farm beside mine says the last time someone came in and plowed/disked up one of my fields, they found several arrowheads. He said people would come there from time to time to hunt them.

That area is where I found an old homestead, burned down, in amongst the locust trees. I found a filled in cistern and a still functioning well, made of field stone in a circle, classic thing maybe 12 feet or so deep to the water.

It was said that the Indians moved off the place and the homestead came to be some time in the 1830's.

I don't know for sure, but the land became a farm, deeded to the family I purchased it from in the 1830's in courthouse records...

That's all fine and good, right up to the point when I get digging a bigger pond and accidentally exhume some graves...

OldKooT

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
Don I know what I'd do. First I'd scout more....the trees can hide what was once obvious. That said, they also can tell a tale. Around where you found the homestead take a close look at tree size/species and see if you can determine the original clearing size. Once you have a rough idea of that I'd subtly mark that area.

Then I'd look for a hill side if one exists near there. Often graves will be well within sight of the water well lets say. They'd also likely be graves of settlers. Your time frame is correct btw, a 1930's homestead would be at or about the time the Native Americans about vanished from Kentucky.

Native Americans of the culture known to have hung out in your neck of the woods were not normally prone to living "alone" and they largely sought community type living. If you see signs that may have been the case at one point on your property....just pay attention when you excavate any dirt.

I would hit your local register of deeds if you haven't already and I'd get names of the property owners. Reference those against death records. Also I'd research then newspaper notices as an example... burial may often times be listed as "at home" or such and such a cemetery. It can be a fun little mystery to piece together, and kids can learn a lot from it as well actually. It's a great way to kill a few winter days learning all you can about your lands history.

I'd also either do it yourself, or watch over someone else who does it, but I'd sure take a metal detector in and around any suspected home sites. Sometimes that will yield some great clues as to the lands past inhabitants.

The place we live on...well I will post it separate but it has a cool past.

OldKooT

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
Our "place" our home is on we have learned so far through research has the following history.

Our home/buildings was once the areas only large dairy farm. From in or around the 1890's to 1954 it supplied the local towns with milk and dairy products. I even have a milk and cream can from that era that has the farms name on it.

The property the farm is built on was also a known encampment of the Pawnee Indians. This piece of land was favoured for it's altitude and shelter and being near a river. We learned this while digging a hole to make a large burn pit. I found a "war axe" about 4' down along with some arrow heads. Research at the local library found a few news articles in the paper back then of how the Pawnee gave the towns people a sense of security regarding the Sioux who were much less social. They were for the most part friendly and traded in town at times without incident.  The paper gave a description of where they camped, and a land mark was mentioned, which unmistakably is our property.  We also found a article that mentions when they left, which was after a skirmish with some Sioux Indians that got bloody enough both tribes left a few dead. In our case we know the towns folks buried the battle dead from this skirmish near what today is a golf course, and was once a settlers cemetery as well in latter years.

The 4 forked cotton wood that was mentioned as the grave site of the battle dead is actually still standing about 400' from the boundary of the original settlers cemetery. Which is now hole 7 of the course in town.

The above all was largely all learned from the library/courthouse from newspaper stories and cross referencing when courthouse records were available.

The land was eventually declared railroad land and developed by the railroad as a farm. It fed the men/animals building the rail system West for years. It was then sold in 1890 to a gentleman who's family owned it until we purchased it.

OldKooT

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2015, 01:20:37 PM »
Back on topic.... We took Anvil to the big city last night. 240 miles round trip and it nailed a GPS measured 19.2mpg. As I suspected I turned down the pump a bunch, and now it's less the fuel miser.

The next project while thinking on the bumper build, is replacing the newly broken windshield. And buttoning up loose ends. We are getting it ready for the end of the month junk jaunt which will be a good test of it's durability. As we will also most likely sneak into the sand hills and do some more off road exploring.

OldKooT

Re: 1988 RC build/conversion (back to the bumper)
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2015, 01:46:36 PM »
Had a hour and a half free this morning so I whipped this up. (I had bent up the winch plate it's self  a week ago)

That is a Mile Marker 12K Hydraulic winch.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
Nice for a quicky. Of course you have a pto pump on it, what was I thinking!!!!!!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
Nice Norm!
I don't know the mile marker, but over in Iraq the Armee had them on everything

OldKooT

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
Thanks ya all. My wife cut it all out with the gas axe and prepped it. I just stuck it together partially.

The MM Hydraulic winches are a stout piece. They are a lil slow when run off the PS pump as designed. But this one runs off a 20gpm PTO driven pump. It's a 2 speed winch so it should work out to be faster than a Warn 8274 in low, and damn quick (less than a min spool) in high gear.

So far the winch/mount weighs in at 121lbs.  When I get around to it and swap the wire for plasma rope and loose the roller fair-lead for a hawse style, I should drop 35lbs off that. So the entire bumper when done should be under 150lbs.

The winch plate/mount is 5/16th bent on both ends for strength forming a channel. Winch is bolted in with 8 3/8 bolts. Then the mount is bolted to the frame with 6 1/2 grade 8. Should be plenty stout.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
The winch looks great. And I love the DOT info about the homestead. What a beautiful place you have! Gotta love that history.

My Dad's family was from IL and IA from waaayyy back (one of 7 families that settled a decent sized city in IA on his mom's side). On his Dad's side our family ended up with two farms in IL. We had our own little "government" BS when a new highway was cut from Lasalle to Bloomington that nicely landlocked 20 acres of our farm (in addition to taking almost the same amount for the da*n road.  >:( We never got ours back....

Don if you do find some old burial grounds (not of settlers but Native American) you might want to keep real quiet about it. I don't know what the laws are in IL but I know that a lot of times those sites have all sorts of protections to what you can or can't do and the last thing you want is the gubmint telling you how to use your hideyhole. My Dad worked running power lines for the electric company all over NE and they spent a bloody fortune finding burial grounds and doing everything to protect them etc.   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »
Don if you do find some old burial grounds (not of settlers but Native American) you might want to keep real quiet about it. I don't know what the laws are in IL but I know that a lot of times those sites have all sorts of protections to what you can or can't do and the last thing you want is the gubmint telling you how to use your hideyhole. My Dad worked running power lines for the electric company all over NE and they spent a bloody fortune finding burial grounds and doing everything to protect them etc.   
Noted...

OldKooT

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:05 PM »
Well this past weekend was "road trip" weekend for us and Anvil. We left Sat morning very early, and beat our way to the NW part of Nebraska for the annual "junk jaunt" weekend. The "jaunt" is basically the ,coolest, most stretched out and odd garage sale event you could possibly imagine. It's not clothing and trinkets like you see in most garage sales..it's largely actual antiques,junk, with just a few "vendors" It's also a display of down home Nebraska hospitality...most sales have a pig roasting, or part of a steer, and some of the best free food you could imagine. But on to the trip report as it applies here.

My wife keeps a trip log/diary so here are the details.

114 miles from home we smelled something unpleasant and a bit unidentifiable. It seemed to be something from the truck. I noticed we had some oil residue on the rear window...we were 9 miles from a town..all gauges said systems normal, no odd noises, no smoke, I decided to just continue to town. Did I mention we brought no tools or parts?

Once in town I headed for a gas station and pulled in and we had smoke venting heavily from under the pass side of the hood, and wow did it stink bad. I popped the hood while looking away and still managed to get a face full of melting Gell cell battery smoke. My wife was already coming around the truck with the extinguisher, but I stopped her before she got a lung full as I saw no flames. Well crap.... that was my thought.

So... after some quick accessing of the situation (5 seconds) I went and bought a soda. After drinking half or so I asked a gentleman who was looking at our truck and wondering what the smoke was if there is a auto parts store in town...yes a Napa 4 blocks away, they close early today because of the junk jaunt, do we need a ride? Thanks but no thanks we are fine.

I informed my wife we were going for a walk while she expressed how nice a day it was and her happiness she had packed shorts, it was going to get warm.

The parts store was a NAPA and they were open..we walked in and I asked if they had any irrigation batteries. He said they had two left, $47 + core did I want one? My wife said yes, whipped out some cash and purchased the battery. Before she was done she had also procured the borrowed use of a battery carrier strap. We walked back to the truck discussing why we didn't pack food.

I manhandled the battery cables off which were still smoldering hot using my wife's bandanna she always carries in her purse for her hair. Then I lifted the drooping no kidding melted battery out...so small task let me tell you. A still smoldering, venting I am sure toxic gasses group 31 that is still melting is no small trick. I deposited the battery so the wind swept the smell away from us and plopped the new irrigation battery into place and hooked it up. We were running....but clearly the 220amp alt was straining. Hmmmm.....

I climbed up on the wheel and pulled the plug off the regulator killing the alternators charging and it quit straining, it then idled up 300 rpm at that point.

I opened the rear hatch, tossed the still smoking battery just inside, and left the hatch open and headed to Napa. Once arriving I shut it off and Kay ran inside and came out with a multi meter a ratchet and sockets in 2 minutes. At which point all the customers in the store and the counter guy also arrived...guess they aren't used to seeing women climbing into engine compartments. She plugged in the regulator, I started the truck and she declared to shut if off immediately. We were charging at 27.58V.... dumb truck.

They don't have a regulator in stock (imagine that) She unbolted the regulator, handed them the tools and meter back and we then thanked them, and off we went. I did look under the rear of the truck, sure enough the 14 bolt was once again dripping oil just enough to make a mess of the window, no real concern.

Her log and the GPS claim 214 miles latter we arrived at our destination. We cruised town and found a mom and pop hotel with a slight grade we could roll start the truck on if required, and got a room. $42 with tax. We had earlier decided we refused to purchase a voltage regulator..unless we found one for sale on the junk jaunt. Due to the Cummins needing almost no juice to run I was pretty confident it would start, but why waste the juice. So after a shower we roll started Anvil and went junking...No real luck on the regulator but we did find some cool junk we liked and thought we needed. I just left the truck idling the duration of our shopping. We hit according to her log, 19 sales in town.

We partook of the best pork sandwiches I have ever consumed around 7pm, and after much chatting with fellow "junkers" we talked my wife into playing her sax. Good company, a great horn, some cold beer, life is good.

6am Sunday morning we were up and ready...our goal a town 45 miles distant some friends live in. I roll started the truck and after a quick stop for ice, soda and of all things two huge pickles, we left town. Rolling West at 65mph we saw a sale in the middle of nowhere so we stopped. We were the first of the day and they basically forced on us eggs, bacon, flapjacks and orange juice...the pickle was not a good combo BTW. Kay bought a 1gallon bucket full of drill bits for $1 and we headed out.

We got to our destination and found out we missed church as they has rescheduled at 6am for the junk jaunt. We enjoyed catching up with our friends, I bought a pipe cutter from the 1800's that weighed 40lbs and we continued on our way. The rest of the day followed about the same pattern. We hit 72 sales by 4pm, still no regulator mind you. Around this time I mentioned we should find a place to stay, preferably with a hot tub, and a soft pillow. This didn't work as I desired. Turns out the stretch of road we were on between towns was about 65 miles distant when it got dark. Kay declared the towns population was 209 so the hot tub idea was likely not going to happen. What we settled for was a nice little two track dirt road about a mile off the HYW where we stopped and called it a night. But not before while attempting to back up a small incline to facilitate roll starting, I stalled the truck. Dumb truck....

We sat on the tailgate watching the moon and stars for at least a hour. We then decided we should get some sleep so we gathered up some tall prairie grass, made a little nest, and slept like babies. My last thought before I drifted off was "thanks God for a good woman who actually likes these adventures"

predictably the truck would not start in the morning. A roll start was going to be touchy, but the bigger problem...the battery was VERY low. I plugged the regulator back in wedged into the engine valve covers for a ground and we roll started just fine and I let it pour 24+V to the battery for a few minutes, then unplugged it.... and we drove the rest of the way home no problem.

I will continue this with mileage, and a performance report latter......

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2015, 11:01:52 PM »
GREAT road report!  Your wife is a trooper and a REAL woMAN Norm!  Very enjoyable read-
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2015, 11:27:27 PM »
Now that sounds like an adventure.
Gotta love being able to run like that sans battery!
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2015, 01:19:33 AM »
Love it, what a great road trip. Probably worth the jaunt from about anywhere.

Plus having a good woman to share it with and enjoys it, priceless,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
My mom and sister junk jaunt every year.  I love to go when I'm able, which hasn't been very often recently.   I love your pictures.  It reminds me of home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »
Love it Norm, miss Kay, sounds like down home America!

Wonderful story!

My Kat (Wife) and prairie grass....not going to happen!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »

Wonderful story!

Does she have a sister named Beth? (my wife=samesame)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2015, 10:37:45 AM »

Wonderful story!

Does she have a sister named Beth? (my wife=samesame)
Nope, but all of her friends are "High class" Models, business women, the successful type. Cool thing is, a lot of them are Christian which makes them pretty pleasant to be around. But outdoors...Well, that's another story...no bathrooms, lotsa bugs, dirt, you know the deal.
Now oddly enough you park that woman on a horse and she's gone! Scared the living heck out of me once. Was about 6 months pregnant with the smallest one and here she comes on her brother's horse and does a jump! A FREAKIN JUMP! PREGNANT GIRL JUMPING A FENCE ON A HORSE!!!!!!

And then there's the gun thing. Her loading a magazine up, to her, is about the same as her doing her nails. Doing a mag dump, about like putting on makeup. She has no fear of guns and gravitates toward them. Tell her to get down in the prone for an accurate long range shot, and well, you can just forget that!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2015, 01:05:48 PM »
Again samessame. Wife likes horses and guns. Prone, not so much.

OldKooT

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Time for a quick update: It's been a  while since I posted. Harvest and life sometimes make getting on the net and being E social unappealing. To compress a long story... we have had many very hefty offers to buy Anvil and it wasn't even actually for sale. We were actually waiting for a fella to withdraw some funds and bring us some cash and it was as good as sold. At the last sec on Sunday night, our middle daughter approached me with a offer I didn't see coming. So, she bought most of Anvil LoL

She made us an offer for the frame/body as well as a pair of stock 3/4ton axes and a magnum 360/518 combo. So after doing some thinking she is now the proud owner of Anvil, and will be reassembling it as a fair weather daily driver 4x4 this next spring.

So.... well that's that. Now time to build a real 4x4  8)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
Always nice to keep something like that in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldKooT

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
In some ways nice yes.....in other ways a bit of a pain. I have all winter to work out the next project.... and it will be far more useful.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal