Hello Guest

Author Topic: Self contained winch  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: Self contained winch
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »

OK winch topic...I am looking at a pontoon boat for fishing and cruising lake Mohave and Colorado river. Problem is, with the trailer the boat will be too tall and too long to fit in the garage over the summer when we are not here. If I am able to set a hook set up in the garage with concrete anchors in the floor I can off load the boat from the trailer unto dollies so the darn thing will fit both height and length wise with a winch. I can store it along the side of the home while down here, so it would be one time off and one time on the trailer each year. It still gets hot in the garage but nothing like being outside even with a tarp over it. Just not sure how much I need to be moving a 2,000 lb boat off and on a bunk trailer with a very steep incline into the garage from the street. I think I can load it with a power winch on the trailer and let the trailer move under the boat. All ideas welcome, I am a road guy not an engineer....

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »
Well, with a steep enough incline into the garage, liberal use of the go pedal and then a well timed application of the stop pedal, you don't need a winch to offload.

Another idea would be to make the garage water tight and flood it to load and unload the boat, kind of like going into drydock.

I think that's the extent of my ideas for tonight, but I'll be sure to update you if anything comes to me while I'm sleeping.    :grin:

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:00 PM »

Well...I need to think on this for a bit. The door is only 7 ft high and the boat on the trailer is 9ft. So I don't think either of those options will work...But Thank You. The slope is up to the door not down so the skinny and wide pedal trick won't work, and I don't want to dent the pontoons.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
Bob, what about the warn pullzall? It's rated at 1k pulling capacity and is a couple hundred that runs off 120v. It's portable & simple, if you need more pulling power add a snatch block or two to double or triple the pulling capacity.

If you don't have 120 there is also a drill operated one but it only has 500# capacity, again double or triple the capacity with snatch blocks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:52:00 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »
Also power needed to pull would depend on how easily those caster carts roll. Is this rolling on concrete or gravel etc & type of wheels on carts....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
Sorry for third post, this is simple. Get a long cable (they make long winch cable extensions btw) & use a snatch block & your truck to power the cable. Drive truck away from garage & it pulls boat in......

Cheap, simple & as long as truck is running it will always work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:57:19 AM by stlaser »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »

Good ideas Shawn, Once I get a solid hook set up in the front of the garage I will have to make something work. I don't think using a cable system and moving the truck will work as the rear of the trailer needs to stay close to the top of the grade, but will check it out.The whole process is on concrete which helps. Just have to get the rear dollies under the pontoons as soon as the boat starts to drop down off the bunks of the trailer. Pull the boat back a bit more, jack up the front part of the boat and pull the trailer out from under it. Lower the jack so the front of the pontoons sits down onto front dollies and hopefully be able to pull it inside the garage. Maybe soak down the boat and trailer first so the bunks are wet and the boat moves a bit easier.
I do have power outlet on front wall of garage, and the boat and stuff should only weigh 2,500lbs or so.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:52:13 PM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
Well my wife figured the problem out....Fish from shore, and save the 30,000.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 04:56:42 PM »
 :facepalm:

Two good days owning a boat, the day you buy it & the day you sell it......

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »
Totally off topic.
BOAT is an acronym not known by all.

Break Out Anouther Thousand.

Yeah, it sure is...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
Never had one

But I did own an airplane

A 1960 Piper Comanche 250, N7621E

I soon discovered it was just a hole in the runway that I had to pour money into to keep it flying. I don't do boats for the same reason.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »
Hole in the water, if I get a boat down here I will then own a third of a 9 hole "water" golf course. Probably cheaper to own a 9 hole golf course than keep up 3 boats.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »
Here is how I drug the broken el camino into the garage. I had the winch and a battery laying around.

Flat plat, weld a bolt to it and bolt on the winch. Drill a hole in the floor. Plus it pivots towards the load.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:34 AM »
That kooks good, might have to be a bit higher so no downward pull on the boat and bunks. Still fishing from shore and no further discussions with wife about a boat.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »
I have a raft. Roll it up and the motor sits on a stand. No trailer but could.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal