Hello Guest

Author Topic: Let's call her Tina  (Read 21032 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Let's call her Tina
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:07 PM »
Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but I sold the D-max.... time to build smtg new. After spending time in my daughters truck, I just forgot how much I like the 88-98 Chevys. So when my father in law offered his up for sale, I popped on it. Here's my 3800 investment so far. You may remember from duramax forum when I located this truck for him. Well he drove it for a year, had an awful stroke, and it's been sitting ever since. And it was NASTY... but here she is now, all prettied up again. Introducing Tina, the 1998 Z71

I'm going to keep her simple. This was my dream truck in high school. So I'm going to make all those dreams come true. I need to chase down a low break pedal issue and a steering wander. Reflex bedliner on Wednesday, dual flow master exhaust, 2-3" RC add a leaf lift kit and new wheels and BFG tires... that'll be about it! Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Let's call her Tina
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
Good to hear from you Blaine. Great thing about that interior color is that it will hide blood stains well.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »
I like the 3/4 ton suburbans of that year range as well

White is so easy to keep clean and to spot paint
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
Good to hear from you Blaine. Great thing about that interior color is that it will hide blood stains well.

Yikes! True story!

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »
I was wondering where you have been. Nice truck there.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:16 PM »
I always liked that body style as well, nice truck
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Nice score HC! Also nice to see you are well and kicking! Stay safe.  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
Nice looking truck Blaine.
Nice to hear from ya again.

Take care.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »
Grandpa had a '97 GMC just like that. Love those things. Great burgundy interior just like my old 89 Beretta. I'm pretty green w/ envy there Blaine. Slot mags and white letter bfg's would be my choice, but that's just me,  :wink: :wink:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 12:02:07 PM »
Ooooohhh, another OIL CHANGE!  :beercheers:
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
Is it the heavy half with the 14 rear or the 10 bolt?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
Looks nice! There is something about going "back in time" with a vehicle from your youth. Good for you.

I have a hankering for an FJ40 but anything that isn't 100% rusted to the gills they want $30K for  :facepalm: So I wish and look at pics on the interwebs.... :embarrassed:

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
Nice truck Blaine. If I may , I'll offer some brake advice:
Those trucks have always had a somewhat spongy pedal, but when the 4 wheel abs unit starts leaking pressure (internally) they get worse.
First try adjusting the rear brakes. If it still feels too spongy try pulling a few full blown panic stops (in dirt!) and that will cycle all of the pistons in the unit, and that should reseat everything for a while.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »
Great looking truck.  Good to see you drop in.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
NICE!

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Nice truck Blaine. If I may , I'll offer some brake advice:
Those trucks have always had a somewhat spongy pedal, but when the 4 wheel abs unit starts leaking pressure (internally) they get worse.
First try adjusting the rear brakes. If it still feels too spongy try pulling a few full blown panic stops (in dirt!) and that will cycle all of the pistons in the unit, and that should reseat everything for a while.
We are going to bleed the brakes tomorrow and give it a shot, then maybe it will be a little dirtier and I will feel better about "panic stopping". I need to get a feel for her under panic anyways. Great advice. Any tips on the steering? The play I feel when I drive is between the steering wheel and the box. I turned the ignition on, and rotated the steering shaft to find this out. I google fu'd up some instructions on tightening the adjustment screw on the steering box to dial things in. Any advice would be appreciated.

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
Besides the adjustment screw you may be able to get rid of the rag joint. I know on my 91 you use a cherokee shaft, not sure for the NBS.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »
I should probably take pictures... but I always think of that after the fact.

Had the dual exhaust put on today. Went with the SS409 muffler. Not quite as loud as the flowmaster, but a nice deep throaty tone that tells momma I'm home.

Then had some admin tasks to do back at the FOB before moving on to the steering problem. First located the adjustment on top of the steering box and hosed it with the WD39+1. I let that percolate and swapped out my wiper blades, and the old Fram air filter for a K&N.

With all the love and affection, strength and intestinal fortitude I could muster, I worked for close to an hour to break loose the lock nut from the adjuster bolt. Adjuster bolt is a 3/16 Allen head btw, and the nut is 5/8. Then right as I was about reserved to warm her up with the perfect mixture of acetaline and O2, the thing magically came loose.... it was a God thing I am certain. After taking the old mans name in vain a couple times, he decided to show me who was in charge... I jacked up the front end, tightened her down to stop and backed off 90'sh degrees as prescribed by the General. While in the air I found the wheel bearings were tight as new, the ball joints were snug and happy, but the tie rod ends of the inner and outer variety both to port and starboard were wiggly in nature. Guess that's gonna be a thing. So I took her for a test drive and had pulled about half the dead steer out of her only to put an emphasis on the wander. (Maybe I was just spoiled for too long by my 50k dollar grenade?)

Next I went in to town for dog food and brake fluid. The muffler shop fella diagnosed the low brake pedal for me when he was under there. Turned out one of the brake line segments just aft of the fuel tank and before the splitter had been ate up by rust. I already had on hand a few lengths of that easy bend copper brake line so it appeared to be a plug and play job if I could teach my five year old to pump the brakes... I couldn't.

I swapped out the line, and called a "buddy" who I have helped out a multitude of times to come in for an assist, but he failed to show. Imagine that.

So I got innovative and cut the hose off of my garden sprayer and shoved a brake fluid container north of the bleeder screw with some fluid in it on the right rear. I then pumped the brakes until I heard sputtering, then again 7 times, for St Patty and 3 times for a nice even number, tightened the bleeder, Filled the reservoir and repeated 3 times. The left rear got the same treatment. Fired her up and voila! No bad brakes light. Took her for a spin and she stops like she did back in 98 I reckon. Pedal feels mid 2000's'sh.

I feel like I will swap the tie rod ends out right before she goes in for the lift kit, that way they can align it for me at the same time.

All in all it was a productive day off!

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
^^^This guy's funny!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
This is gonna be one of those cool reads (If the guy can remember to carry a camera!) of a classic truck, all plain Jane lookin' turning into something special. Had that thought when reading the part of the coming lift kit...

You see Lift kit begat new tires, which usually begat new wheels, which cause interference and steering problems which begat creative solutions, which in turn add stress that causes weak things to fail and leak, which in turn begat even stronger (and cooler) parts which of course create their own set of problems

And before you know it you have a world class complete fluid change goin' on...

And that right there is what we all like to read about and enjoy!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
This^^^

When I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid) me and buddies would put big wheels, tires etc on vehicles and then wonder why bearings that lasted fine with stock would go all the time....or why after putting in a built motor we had tranny/rear end problems. Finally I read an interview with an engineer who explained the cost benefits of various parts and engineered systems that Detroit puts in vehicles and how everything from one end of the other is designed with all the other parts in mind and how changing one even small item to a stronger bigger offset part then cascades problems through the entire vehicle. It was really eye opening for me and for the first time I sort of got it. Serious lighbulb moment for me.

Fluid change for sure!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
Recently I was having a discussion with a guy about doing a mod to a 4x & went on a rant even invoking Newton's third law in the ramble. At the end I told him if it bothered him that much he might just want to leave it stock. He didn't...... :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Let's call her Tina
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
She's really pretty stout on the underneath side. Not that my 11' wasn't beefy, but I'm convinced you could take the whole thing apart with a 10mm.

Im not going to do anything too radical as far as lift and tires, for the very reasons listed above. Going from the 265-75-16's, to a 275-70-18, for consistency with mommas suburban.

I still want to be able to work the truck and let the truck work for me. Because, well it's a truck. But on the same hand, I want to fill my sophomore in high school fantasies I had for trucks... finally found the girl! ;)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:51:56 PM by Higher Caliber »

Molon Labe!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Let's call her Tina
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
This is the same truck I dreamed about as a kid, that motor sounds so good with just a three inch exhaust.  The inside was simple, seat was comfortable, the windows worked for ever.    The only gripe I had was the axle wrap when doing burn outs.  I'll dig up a old old photo of mine and see what you guys think.   

I would love to have another of that ol body style I can't wait to see where you go with yours.

How many miles?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:08:29 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »
Sweet truck! My first truck was a blue '89 regular cab 4x4, manual trans. Kept it stock except for exhaust and tint, but i loved that truck. Always wished it was ext cab though... :beercheers:
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »
This is the same truck I dreamed about as a kid, that motor sounds so good with just a three inch exhaust.  The inside was simple, seat was comfortable, the windows worked for ever.    The only gripe I had was the axle wrap when doing burn outs.  I'll dig up a old old photo of mine and see what you guys think.   

I would love to have another of that ol body style I can't wait to see where you go with yours.

How many miles?

177k... just broke in!

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:34 AM »
Only gripe I have so far is the good for nothing cup holder in the dashboard! I must modify this situation!

The other thing will be when my older boys have to climb in the back seat!!! poor kids! My little girls LOVE daddy's "new" truck!

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »
I had the same in the old burb. What a joke.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
Only gripe I have so far is the good for nothing cup holder in the dashboard! I must modify this situation!

The other thing will be when my older boys have to climb in the back seat!!! poor kids! My little girls LOVE daddy's "new" truck!

You can get one of the newer model cup holders. I think they attach to the bottom of the seat

I imagine you could buy the cup holder only and figure a way to attach it to your seat

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 09:59:16 PM »
You young guys crack me up.   That truck came along years after I graduated high school and was already married.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2017, 12:35:06 AM »
 :beercheers:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
You young guys crack me up.   That truck came along years after I graduated high school and was already married.

so what you're saying is when you wanted one she said no? :rolleyes:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
No. Actually I wanted a 1972 Cheyenne C-10. Inherited my grandfather olive and white two tone with only 82,000 on the Odo and then some oxygen thief deserving of death stole it. 

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
No. Actually I wanted a 1972 Cheyenne C-10. Inherited my grandfather olive and white two tone with only 82,000 on the Odo and then some oxygen thief deserving of death stole it. 

Ouch! That hurt my heart reading that... something about losing heirlooms. My ex wife threw away a pair of my grandpas chaps and spurs when she moved out of our old house. I'd tell you what I did, but it's best you all maintain plausible deniability until the statute of limitations has expired....

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
Reflex brand bedliner applied today!

Molon Labe!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »
That looks like a great job!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
Still wondering if it is a 8.5 or 9.5 rear?

700r4?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
Still wondering if it is a 8.5 or 9.5 rear?

700r4?
Missed that from before. How do I tell?

Molon Labe!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
10 bolt cover vs 14. 1500hd were 14 bolt everything else is 10. unless it's a c10 454ss

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
Looks killer!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »
The 14 bolt is a great rear for what it is.

I think you said it had about 150K on it? If it has the 700r4 that is there life span.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

I think you said it had about 150K on it? If it has the 700r4 that is there life span.

Or about 35,000 when you put 500hp in front of it.....

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:12 AM »
I'm not going to conversate on break downs till they happen! That's just asking for bad mojo. One of the boys asked my wife two nights ago if she had ever had a broken bone, the answer at the time was "no". 30 mins later an open front door caused a tremendous vacuum on the back as she was stepping outside. Slammed her thumb and pointer in it! Broken finger and 6 stitches... see where I'm going?

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
While on the subject though. What is yalls take on changing the filter? I've heard rumors that will somehow lead to a tranny problem if it's never been done before

Molon Labe!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Leave it be. 1994 c2500 w/ the 700r4 trans as a service truck, tons of miles on it. one slow day the shop tech decided to do a full svc tune up, plugs wires, fluids, filters etc. what had been a reliable workhorse smoked the tranny in two days post "tune up". I cannot verify that was directly related however. but I believe in the mojo. I was just talking about how great my truck was holding up for having 265k on it and the next morning the t-case starts acting up.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Similar happened to my 96 burb. Had the tranny serviced for a trip after a little blow by and lost it half way to canada.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »
Got the tool chest installed.

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »
Metal and flush, nice choice.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Higher Caliber

• Registered
  • Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
Apparently the bed sides on these 400's are 2" shallower than the bed sides on the 800's. In the dmax I had it setting on pedestals. It's just sitting flat in the bed here! Worked out!

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Lookin good!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal