Hello Guest

Author Topic: Garage Floor Coatings  (Read 6438 times)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Garage Floor Coatings
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
Legacy Industrial
HD6525MMA
25% solids, clear gloss finish
Thoroughly cleaned and pressure washed floor then applied with standard 3/8" nap roller.
Garage is 930 square feet.  I used about 5.5 gallons and did three coats.  I could have stopped at 2 coats, but I only ever want to do this once and am hoping the extra coat will help it last longer.

First coat going on:

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Garage Floor Coatings
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
Completed and dry final product:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »
Pictures, nice. Now get it dirty!!!!

Is it a 3 car with a drive through?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 06:36:59 PM »
Very nice!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »
Pictures, nice. Now get it dirty!!!!

Is it a 3 car with a drive through?

You turnin' green over there JR? Fine looking floor you got goin' on there. Very nice work.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »
Tried the rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint.  Wish that I hadn't.  That one looks great.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Garage Floor Coatings
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »
Looks great! Virgin concrete?  Old concrete is tougher when it already has oil stains. Did you add any anti slip texture?  I had a floor with epoxy and no texture. Slicker than owl snot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
My garage needs a good cleaning and I even have some coating someplace!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »
Looks great! Hope it's not too slippery when wet.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:13:47 PM »
I love the sealed wet concrete look! if your like me I've always got a large floor squeegee on hand for errant water from tires, swamp cooler, spilled beers. because it can get a bit sketchy.

The dealership I work for has a brand new Subaru store and the entire mechanics stop is done with sealer as opposed to heavy grit epoxy...apparently its easier to clean. the main standing and walking are sealed clear also but have "shark bite" grit in them. gives it a pretty cool look and only has the grip where its needed.  I will get a picture next time im over there.

I was just on the hunt for the perfect DIY floor epoxy. I've been watching garage journal for months trying to narrow down what I can do and want to spend on my 1600 sq ft space.... I cant stomach what my local garage solutions guy wanted to charge me for prep and install......4k.....are you joking???  :-\

Any opinions on something that's decently durable but not made of endangered baby seal tears???

Floor was painted by previous owner and has some scratching. obviously NOT a super high quality. Should I scuff this and wipe it with thinner or acetone to prep before I try and do something else? or does it need to be sanded all the way off?? I like the light gray color it is now and will probably look for something about the same color.
Picture is the best I have on me right now, during deconstruction of worlds shortest room (door almost rubbed ceiling).

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Yes is is a drive thru.  Two trucks in the front and tractor and lawn mower in the back.  That way I don't have to move my truck to get the others out.

And I can confirm the concerns over traction.  When wet, it is very slippery.  But that's OK, my main concern was wiping up oil spills.  Which should be easy.  If you want more traction I think they have sand grit to apply with the last coat.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
Oh and yes it was new concrete.  Next I will try to use the same product on the existing garage floor and see how it sticks.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »
Clean and degrease it good first. Then clean it again.

Offline Flatlander

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
Clean and degrease it good first. Then clean it again.

Yes this ^^^^^^  it is all about the prep, especially on older concrete. After doing that, i would acid wash it, rinse with clean water and let dry well for at least 48 hours. The more drying time the better, up to a point for sure, but might want to use a dehumidifier if you got one help hasten the process. keep it as clean as possible before 1st coat. Do extra coats as soon as possible after product has cured. They sell spiked shoes that you strap on your work boots/shoes in order to walk across the epoxy after you have applied it to fix any issues. And there always is something you want to "fix" lol.!

Even today's epoxies like to "yellow out" over time, more noticeable with the lighter colors, so a good top coat will help. I like a polyurea clear coat with UV protection and then broadcast some white Aluminum Oxide grit after laying the clear coat. 60 grit, 80 or 120. This is where the spiked shoe adapter thing a-ma-jig comes in handy again. (so clean it after every use).

Walk in and toss some grit, just don’t over do it, you only get one chance to do this to your satisfaction level.

And yes, Muriatic acid will be fine, just dilute it. Remember Acid to water, never water to acid. And, wear a mask in a VERY well ventilated area. This stuff can be nasty!

FL

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
I will second flatlander on his, however the spiked shoes are slicker then snot also.  I have flat backed in 20 mill of 100%solid epoxy and bathed in  MEK to get it off while standing in the buff having to have help.

Epoxy is great stuff. Shark grit is my favorite for grip on the floor.  Sand ads grip but kills the clean up.  No squeegee will stand up to sand.  The shark Britt will provide traction but not texture.  If you do use sand you can epoxy over it again and build more mills of epoxy.

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 09:10:42 PM »
i cant locate any of the other photos from the past employment but epoxy is a great tool for anything from decoration to medical rooms,

Offline mjmbrown

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 06:44:20 PM »
All great advice, thank you. Any thoughts on the paint that is currently down there? it appears to be just an enamel of some kind, chipping a peeling in a few spots. The previous owner said he did it on virgin concrete so there is no oil or anything soaked into it. but im wondering if a scuff and degrease would suffice or if I would need to sand it all the way down.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
I would be careful around any area that had chipping of any kind, if loose at all it would screw up a good install later. I would think you would want to rough up and then clean the heck out of the whole floor for good adhesion of the finished application. BUT I AM NOT A PRO IN THIS AREA

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »
The biggest problem I've encountered is hot tire pick up. Pulling in with hot tires and then they cool and adhere overnight. Next time the tire moves it pulls a chunk of coating with it. If the coating is of unknown origin and quality is opt to sand it all and know you are giving your new coating the best chance

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
If it was a good quality product down in the first application. You should be able to hit it with a deck sander ( Sherwin Williams type places sometimes rent concrete floor grinders that can also Remove old paint) pressure wash area focus on chipped and pealing areas.   You should be able to coat over it.   Kiwalhouse has good paint, sherwinwilliams      I always prefer paint stores vs box store coatings

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
Looks like sunbelt might be the best bet also pending on cost.   Or you could get crazy with a hand grinder in certain areas and remove paint from the sketchy areas

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 02:43:04 PM »
Well I have an update on the floor coating that started this thread.  It still looks very nice and sweeps very easy.  But using it for a garage application is a big fat fail.  If gas spills on the surface and sits for more than 30 seconds, the coating completely melts leaving bare concrete when you wipe up the mess.  Kerosene?  Well that stuff liquefies the surface coating INSTANTLY!  There is no hope for wiping it up fast enough.  In hindsight I should have thought about it.  The product is oil based and therefore is dissolved with mineral spirits and other similar products.  Perhaps a water based epoxy coating is still the best answer for a garage.  The only good new about the floor coating I have used, it is very easy to roll more of it over the bare spots to repair them.  They end up blending back in and you really can't see where it was.  But it is rather annoying that it will require ongoing maintenance.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »
Thx for the update. Plus I think the water based is much easier on our lungs going on.

At least it repaired OK.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
that's good to know moto....didn't know it did that. I guess its more for museums or sumthing? That's aggravating! 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 07:53:22 PM »
As an FYI, the Rustoleum stuff I spread all over the shed floor, I have spilled gasoline, diesel, charcoal starter fluid, motor oil, bar oil, and carb cleaner on it with not effect to the coating.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
As an FYI, the Rustoleum stuff I spread all over the shed floor, I have spilled gasoline, diesel, charcoal starter fluid, motor oil, bar oil, and carb cleaner on it with not effect to the coating.
A bit clumsy, is that where you are going with this statement?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
A bit clumsy, is that where you are going with this statement?

That, and I still have Kids...oh, and Dogs!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
Just to add to this thread tonight,   This is my garage floor I did back in 2003. It has had a car drive in and out in all weather conditions of Utah since then.   I have not redone I have not sanded.  But only washed or mopped the floor maybe once a year.   

I decided my kids feet were getting black enough from the grim on the floor so I scrubbed it up and took some photos to document the difference of a high end roll down floor and not a homedepo special coating that peals up in the heat of summer or scratches off when you slide your three Ton floor jack sideways.   

Mind you this is a low light photo as the moon is out,

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
Mind you the garage I did across the street for the neighbor has another five years or more of use on it and it cleans up after big fat Harley burn outs

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
Name besides high end?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 12:33:11 AM »
Sherwin Williams product.  No longer on the purchase list, the newer stuff is just as good. 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 12:39:09 AM »
Name besides high end?
I guess high end is poor wording, I have seen to many people put down the homedepo or lowes floors and had them come up in a few months. Or parts cleaner eat them away. 

I would stick with any of these

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/floor-coatings-interior/commercial-performance-floor-coatings-interior

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal