Hello Guest

Author Topic: rearview mirror dead, sort of  (Read 1647 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
rearview mirror dead, sort of
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
So my mirror has a light at the on off switch, auto dims when it's supposed to, but doesn't display temp/direction anymore. any thoughts?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: rearview mirror dead, sort of
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
So my mirror has a light at the on off switch, auto dims when it's supposed to, but doesn't display temp/direction anymore. any thoughts?

Fuse, or loose wire? Those are my guesses.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
Thanks Bobby, I haven't looked at fuses yet, but wondered why the power light would illuminate if a fuse/wire were bad. the display aspect seems to be the only failure. I'm thinking I just need a new mirror unless someone can point me in a different direction.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
I have had this problem with my Yukon as well. It worked for years and then the temp/compass got weird where every part of the digits lit up (like an 8 as opposed to the letter or number). Then two weeks ago it all started working fine again....and two days ago I'm back to gibberish. I clearly have power to the mirror but something is messing up the compass temp readings. I haven't bothered to try to fix it but would like to know what it is if anyone else has figured out this little gremlin.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:51:28 PM »
Sounds like the mirror failed.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
Hey Tate I never looked for a fix to this issue but here's a thread that may help you some....

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1t1ba-rear-view-mirror-temperature-display-compass-not.html

ETA: Here's another thread on the same issue and may be helpful a well....I'm going to start with this one:

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/2fjxj-03-silverado-rear-view-mirror-temp-compass-display-quit.html

I haven't gone through it but do want to find out why as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:54:03 PM by Wilbur »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
definitely gives some insight, but doesn't have the end result. my guess is the customer got frustrated and paid someone to fix it. now I know where to start looking though. Thanks for sharing that link, and when I figure it out I will post here for sure.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
The temp and compass on my mirror has slowly gotten dimmer and dimmer over about 4 months.  I took the mirror completely apart and tried to fix any loose connections but couldn't find any.  Put it back together and it started working at full brightness again.  But now another month later and it's too dim to see the numbers anymore.  Please update if you find a solution for yours!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal