Hello Guest

Author Topic: Adding Meth/water injection to the max  (Read 4100 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Adding Meth/water injection to the max
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:43:58 AM »
I added this a few months back but had a slight issue. Turned out to be a pinched line.

Anyway, here is how I added it tot my 06 Dmax that still needs to be smogged every other year.

Also since I just added 35in tires mileage is down a little more so getting this working should offset the drag.

The kit I got was a universal kit form AEM without tank #30-3002. This kit is still available but has a upgraded controller.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Meth/water injection to the max
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:02:19 AM »
Since I opted for a kit without a tank, I could either use the washer tank or buy a tank of my choice.

I opted for a tank of my choice, but had one custom made. Guy who lives down the street made me a tank that fits IFO the wheel well in the bed, doesn't interfere with the slider and was low enough to still use the plank inserts in the bed.

I simply made a mock up with cardboard and he copied it with 1/8 alum. 1/4 rear for tapping the fittings and a 1in fill spout.

I gave it a shot of black paint, tapped in a pickup tube and added a level sensor and placed it in the bed. I simply used a little velcro on the bottom and top and used the bed divider to hold it in. (not the best picture)

I also ran some pvc to the rear of the bed for filling. This part needs up dating as it needs a vent and simply better looks!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:43:04 AM »
I them mounted the controller where I could adjust it, but it was out of sight for emission issues. This is just above the ADL port.

Then you mount an LED to tell you when it is working. Mine went on the CTS mount on the dash. The LED tells you trouble and injection status.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:48:52 AM »
How much does the tank hold, and how long does it last?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27:16 AM »
I mounted the pump on the frame just under the tank. It is a little exposed here and a better place looks to be on a plate above the drive shaft or in the bed cavity. But that will come when I tune it a little better.

Plumbing is about as simple as it gets. Mount the tank below the nozzle, mount the pump below the tank in any orientation you like, plug in the hoses to the pump, anti flow valve and the jet, you are done.

I elected to use manifold pressure vs MAP sensor to run the system. This is the intake after the heater grid above the EGR. You can see where I tapped for the controller manifold pressure and the extra plugged tap I made just in case later. This is all upstream on the injector.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:28:52 AM »
How much does the tank hold, and how long does it last?

Around 6 gallons. Depending on final jet I am hoping for 2 tanks of fuel (52 gal each)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:43 AM »
Now the injector was another matter as I had to put it 90* to the intake, hide it and have it where I could change jets or clean it.

So by removing the resonator you can get a good place to mount the injector. When I did this I removed it all so nothing had a chance to get into the intake.

Now at the angle I did it, it would hit the resonator and mine did, pinching the line during the initial install. I did put a little dimple in the bottom, but needed a lot more.

So I heated it up really good and used a 1 inch bar to help shape it a little more this time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:44:37 AM »
Finally I got the clearance I wanted, filed the edges smooth and covered the injector with harness loom so it blends in.

Then with the resonator put back on, you really have to look to see what is there.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:38 AM »
Next comes the rest of the wiring, very little really. Couple of grounds (pump and controller) switched power, motor power and the status LED. I intend to run a on/off switch, but just wanted it working, hense the twisted yellow wire in earlier pics.

Then a check with it powered up (green comes on with engine start) and pushing the "test" button on the controller. That powers the pump for 6 seconds from low to high flow which clears the line and says you did it right!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »
Long story short on the yellow wire. Got this on for a trip, but wouldn't spray because of the crimped tube so I cut the yellow wire. Finally got around to trouble shooting it finding the crimped tube so twisted the wire together just to get it running.

Now that it is up and running I have it set to turn on at about 6psi and max out at 20 psi. I am using the smallest jet, 130ml for a start as the directions state.

I have 6 gallons of water to 1 gallon of alcohol for a start. I have just stepped up to the 315ml nozzle and need to drive for a day or 2 and see how it works. If I can gain 1-2 mpg and lower my EGT just a little I will be more than happy. Plus water/meth injection is supposed to work well with diesels, does not require more tuning and cleans up gunk in the intakes too.

I still have the 550ml jet to go which is supposed to mach my HP rating a little better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
Looks good JR.
Keep us up to date on your trials.
I have been debating this for a while.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but water in diesel bad, water/methanol in diesel good? I'm not asking for anyone to become physics masters or mechanical engineers, just want to understand what it does and how it works better. Feed me Seymour, feed me!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
Water/meth mix or just water is fine for both Gas and Diesel engines. Not in the fuel mind you, but atomized in the intake to the combustion chamber.

There are videos all over but you are cooling the charge and adding more fuel. The water will vaporize as it enters the chamber, cooling the charge. The meth burns adding fuel to the charge. I think Don went through all this too. Diesels really like this since they run on what fuel is put in.

I have the old controller and here is the new one. I talked to AEM yesterday and the new one has several internal updates and I like the controls better.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
Nice write up JR. How much can you lower EGTs under load?  I'd love to have just the egt lowering properties when I'm towing heavy. I'd love a 150 degree egt drop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 02:22:10 PM »
The jury is still out on this. So far I have moved up to the 500ml injector but not really seen any gains or lower EGTs.

Now to be fair also I just put on 35/12.5 tires and that is a big diff from the 285/75 tires. Regearing is looking like a future task.

I have it kicking in at 5psi and full at around 20. Running 50/50 mix right now and looks like I using about a 10/1 ratio with fuel fills.

I am going to call AEM and see what they say.

I passed a truck this last weekend at 6000ft near tahoe. I was going up a grade and EGT hit 1300 easy but lots of power!

I also need to update my CTS. A few times it said I was 100% load just driving in the hills.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 12:07:51 AM »
Updated the CTS and still not saying this is the golden egg.

I run 30% regular alcohol but really don't see anything yet. Comes on at 4-5psi, full on around 20.

Called AEM and they try the 1000ml Jet, just got it today, drop ship from Summit. Was told the new jet will max out the controller I have but the pump is fine for more.

Going to install and report back. Probably do a Reno trip this weekend as Cabelas has an after hours sale sunday.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 12:49:22 AM »
I have the 1000 jet installed. Ran about 1 and 1/2 tank through it including a run to Reno.

So far I have seen nothing to indicate the new jet has done any good at all. While in Reno I go by summit and get a case of the AEM fliud. 50/50 meth/water.

I go to fill the tank and it takes 1/2 gal before it comes out the vent, say what??? Before I was using up the tank in 2 tanks of fuel with the 500 jet. So either the system is not pumping or plugged up as now it should be 1/1 with diesel to injection.

I am going to drain the tank to measure the volume (guessed around 6-7 gallon) and add a true vent and level tube. It does have a empty float gauge but not hooked up.

The controller seems to be working OK. LEDs go through setup when started, come on at 4psi so I guess it is working right. However I did do a flow check when I installed the 1000 jet. So with doing that I will also add the filter I got at summit trip before.

Stay tuned,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 09:42:43 AM »
Hmmmm...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 03:07:11 AM »
Well, I had a little to Ontario for Model aircraft. Kinda of a big kids weekend (homebrew was great)

Anyway I figure lets see whats up wit this setup. I have upgraded to the 1000 jet but still getting just a dribble of water. Tank is full, electronics work so where is the issue. So with killing 2 birds with 1 stone I pulled the tank.

I drain the tank and find it holds right at 6 gallons. Not bad, but it fits well and is solid. After draining the tank I pull the fitting for the pump feed and find a bug jammed in the hole! Preserved well with the mix of water and alcohol. I flush the tank to be sure and add a filter down line before the pump. Then I tap for a breather which I should have done from the get go, but was in a hurry for another trip. It would still fill, but burped the whole time.

Plop the tank back in and fill it up with a good 50/50 of mix and it takes the 6 gallons nicely with hardly a gurgle. Hit the test and we have a nice little stream going, life is good. Button it back up and of the Ontario (Ca) about 450 miles and give it a good run up the Grapevine (not as bad as it used to be)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 03:29:08 AM »
The trip down was uneventful, truck ran great and got around 17.5 mpg at 70-75.I had the mix kicking in at 4psi and full on around 20 psi. RPM was around 1950 since I ran in 5th as 6th drug the rpm down, and load up via the CTS.

The engine ran cooler, a lot. Near 20-30 degrees. I wish I had now run the CTS showing the temp vs the stock gauge as it would read better vs a few lines with 210 in the middle. Almost straight up is normal, just before the 210. It was now running 2 lines down, I figure around 170-180.

Normally the EGT was around 800-850 at cruise so this looked a little promising. Then came the Grapevine which is about 10 miles of climbing from the San Juaquin Valley to around 4000ft, then rolling hills until you drop into San Fernando then down a little more to LA, but go towards Palm Springs on 210.

I did get a picture showing the CTS and speedometer just as I was cresting the first hill. EGT were only 900 or so which was much better than the 1100-1200 it pulled the year before. Now it was chilly out with snow on the peaks so intake temp was lower than summer, but I still think is much better than without the mix.
When I got to Ontario I had used 5 gallons, not bad.

So all in all I think the injection is worth the $$$ and time, but not sure about using the real mix. I ran that all the way home and saw no real difference, that may change in summer with towing, the real test. Plus the new controllers are much better. Mine is no longer made and newer ones will pump more and are easier to setup.

You make your own mix or buy ready made for 6-7 a gallon. I was using alcohol in 5 gallon jugs at first that runs $10 a gallon, but mixing it at 50/50.

What was nice was I found fuel on the Hwy 5 for $1.89 a gallon. Wish I could have gotten more than 35 gal, but it is 2.20 around here now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
Glad to hear the update and looking forward to the towing results.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
That sounds promising, but also a bit pricey. Haven't I read somewhere about using washer fluid? Maybe the alchohol content is too low?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »
I am not feeling more power, but temps are down. I also have not looked into the intake so not sure if I am getting  the cleaning benefit as of yet.

Right now I am just adding straight tap water. I got a new endoscope so a deeper look is on the way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:01:56 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:21 PM »
It has been a few years since I have looked into this.  A lot of people run distilled water in the summer and washer fluid in the winter to keep it from freezing.  From the reading I have done tap water is not advised due to minerals and other possible contaminants in the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal