Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206690 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
If anyone here wants to use Behr paint at Home Depot PM me. I have an account there which gets 20% off all behr products. It works at any location in the US but it could be verified at customer service before the paint is mixed. I am in no way endorsing them but use them and Lowes and Sherwin Williams. I have accounts at the other places as well but that discount is too hard to convey. The discount is immediate at the register with ProX rewards. You just enter my phone number. I get nothing for this discount. It is all to the purchaser. If this post violates any rules i apologize and i will delete it.
No, you're good

Men helpin' men...Iron sharpening Iron...

You're just practicing your Christianity, that's all

No chance you'd be added to the same list that Ken, Shawn, and a couple others here are on ;-))
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
Another point

Jared, you seem to know quite a bit about buildin'

You should post over in the construction area

Let me see, I may be going somewhere with this...Brain (old as it is) is startin' to do some conjurin'

You could be a oracle of sorts. People could seek advice, after paying the proper homage, of course, then the oracle could speak, and the matter could be settled.

Could call it:
J Speakes
or
J's Advice place
or
The J list
or
Builder J and the do-right corner
or
J the answer man
or
Something like that

You could tell numbskulls (Tex comes to mind...as well as me) how to do things properly

As this idea starts to focus I see a new moderator being born. But this one did not ask for the job. You see around here, anytime someone has an idea about a new discussion area (Just ask Tex-red-neck) he/she gets appointed a moderator...

Just sayin' that this is new ground for me...someone who didn't suggest an idea gettin' corralled and all that...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
Another point

Jared, you seem to know quite a bit about buildin'

You should post over in the construction area

Let me see, I may be going somewhere with this...Brain (old as it is) is startin' to do some conjurin'

You could be a oracle of sorts. People could seek advice, after paying the proper homage, of course, then the oracle could speak, and the matter could be settled.

Could call it:
J Speakes
or
J's Advice place
or
The J list
or
Builder J and the do-right corner
or
J the answer man
or
Something like that

You could tell numbskulls (DON comes to mind...as well as me) how to do things properly

As this idea starts to focus I see a new moderator being born. But this one did not ask for the job. You see around here, anytime someone has an idea about a new discussion area (Just ask Tex-red-neck) he/she gets appointed a moderator...

Just sayin' that this is new ground for me...someone who didn't suggest an idea gettin' corralled and all that...
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
823058 is the Lowes item number to a product similar to the moist stop i use. I got mine at McCoys but can not find it on their site. I would have to actually feel the Lowes product to see how similar it is but it will work for the framing under the windows to flash the sill before windows go in and hardi goes on. It will also work on hardi joints. I have seen everything used from tar paper to synthetic roof felt on to and including metal tin or aluminum flashing. I just like the black roll flashing. I do not use house wrap as a flashing. You could also use many of the sticky window tapes also but they get expensive and are overkill.
I have never used or seen anyone use the sheers. I saw those and thought they were for the metal roof. If you like them let me know and i will give them a shot. I just use a diablo hardi saw blade. I try to never have a cut joint showing. I can get them perfectly square but if you look at the factory joint it has a very slight bevel. I hide all cuts under trim.
On the nails yes you can nail every 16” or 32” revealed. Or any pattern you want.  The hardi holds tight under all the trim and with proper nails hidden under the lap. But, i always reveal nail my joints and any irregularity that needs a nail to suck the siding down. Too many nails showing looks bad. It will sort of dimple the piece and will have a nail to caulk. The goal is a perfectly flat wall without any waves.
I also use interior/exterior liquid nails. It holds tight to hardi and i use it on trim pieces that i would shatter with more than one nail. If it oozes out spread the ooze and paint it or caulk over it and paint.
If you use a saw keep the guard blown off with air. The dust clogs its function and before you know it it no longer covers the blade and the saw takes off when you set it down. The saw is fast and allows me to cut a six piece stack at a time. It is however very dusty so wind to my back and cut. No wind and i am working on another area of the house as the dust is overwhelming at times.

I have to give it to Jared if you are typing all of this on a PHONE!! I can't hardly type my email address correctly. Great content!  :beercheers:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »
I am no expert. Just someone sharing information. I would be glad to answer any questions i can. The projects going on here are exciting. I am blessed to be able to do what i love for a career which is home building. I learned most of what i know from my grandfather and father and grew up on job sites. My grandfather retired about twenty years ago which set the wheels in motion to put me where i am today.
I am currently building my home with my oldest daughter. She just turned 18. She is interested in construction so we will do a complete home together so she can see the process and we can take it slow. The neighbors were puzzled to see a girl hanging beams when we were framing. Then they were wondering how a 115 pound girl could deck a roof with 5/8” plywood. I did have a crew pour the concrete and another drill the well. Everything else will be just us including the septic tank installation.
Anyway, if anyone needs help here just let me know.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:51 PM »
Any hints on my build are welcome. Know I have a couple of opps with stud spacing, but nothing major.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
...So no one picked up on recruitin' Jared???

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
Jared needs to start an intro line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2017, 10:57:03 AM »
That sounds awesome Jared. I only wish that at least one of my girls were interested in getting their hands dirty and learn some skills .....for free no less!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

What is that and where do you do it? I am usually here somewhere reading. Or over on the diesel forums watching the fighting and shaking my head. Just got done reading two other build threads here that were very interesting. This site has tons of good information and a great group of men.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 01, 2017, 08:09:09 PM »
Jared, shot the hitachi for the first time today. Used 2 1/4 Galv wire coil 15 degree.  I assume that 0 degree will not miraculously work in this gun?  It works well.

Also the electric hardie shears are awesome. Zero dust and drama and easy to keep a straight line. I’ll try to post a video

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #361 on: December 01, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/DZ3Bw8G2qUk
It cuts faster. I was having a hard time holding the board down with my foot and the phone with one hand and the shears with the other. It’s variable speed and easy to work. They have one that is for curves and you can easily cut round openings with it.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:31:03 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #362 on: December 01, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
Wow i have never seen them in action. Looks like they will work great. Anything to keep that dust down is a huge plus. Hitachi makes great guns and compressors. I have had great luck with them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:42:55 PM by Jared Herzog »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 01, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
Started working on the deck today and ordered the rest of the eave trim and r panel for the porch. Here’s where I left it today. Hope to get the porch deck finished and the roof mostly done over the porch.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2017, 09:04:51 PM »
Looks good. Did you say you were going with a spiral staircase?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 01, 2017, 09:06:59 PM »
I like those shears, just wonder how long they stay sharp.

My mother in law added on to her house, turning it into quite the place, and they used hardy...lots of it. She hand stained each piece (wood stain?) herself, and I tell you what, it looks absolutely great....almost like a log cabin-ish. Just thought I'd throw that out there..
..wish I had a pic to show you.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »

What is that and where do you do it? I am usually here somewhere reading. Or over on the diesel forums watching the fighting and shaking my head. Just got done reading two other build threads here that were very interesting. This site has tons of good information and a great group of men.

Jared,
If this link works. Follow and you should be able to start an introduction from here

Tell us some history, your location, lay down some back ground and always remember to poke Don in the side anytime you can

Site Rules & Introductions
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020467&share_sfid=10&url=http%3A%2F%2Freal-man-truckworks-and-survival%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fboard%3D10&share_type=sf

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
JR yes, spiral stairs, which is why I needed the dormer.

Ken I think it will last a while.  The blade is pretty thick and a touch up with a file to keep the right angled edge would be about all I could see it needing at some point.

I only do construction. Wife will pick out the color, which may precipitate painting the main house to match if she picks a color different than what's on the main house....would like to see a picture of that stain tho

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
Got the deck done today. Simpson hangers and screws and 5/4x16 ft boards so there are no joints.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 02, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
Aaannd...the deck is done.

Looking really good Charles.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 02, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks Sam. That was a nice caribou you took. The metal for the porch should be in next week. I have the stuff to deck it and just need to finish the soffit and overhang.  Going to use solar board on the porch some it won’t have spray foam insulation under it. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
Can't decide on whether I want to put railing on the porch.  I know code would say so, but I live code free in the woods.  I do need to lay out the stairs, but I have two small trees right in front of the stair placement to cut down.  By big Husvarna 372XP won't even sweat.  I may just use the old poulan 20inch box store special on it.

So the delivery of the shipping container is scheduled for tomorow.  I need to get up there later this evening so that I can drill holes and drive rebar in the ground through the rear most railroad tie to give the driver a place to set the back of the container.  Then I'll slip another one under the front as he drops it.  I'll lift the front of it with my high lift jack (rated 4600lb) and do final adjusting for the front and middle railroad ties.  Unfortunately I don't have enough tractor to lift it as it will be about a 4250lb one end lift.

Once I get it leveled I'll work on pressure washing inside and out and then painting the outside green to match the shop

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 03, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »

OK, I did it for ya. This is your thread ($5 a month, but we'll discuss that in private ;-)
Use it to discuss and answer questions about construction information. Lead these boneheads with good advice and they will reward you with friendship and endless DOTing of your important information!

Here it is:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=3181.new#new

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 03, 2017, 09:44:30 AM »

Jared,
If this link works. Follow and you should be able to start an introduction from here

Tell us some history, your location, lay down some back ground and always remember to poke Don in the side anytime you can

Site Rules & Introductions
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020467&share_sfid=10&url=http%3A%2F%2Freal-man-truckworks-and-survival%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fboard%3D10&share_type=sf

Bad advice!

You're banned for poor (No) use of discretion! And for spreadin' this DOT heresy! I'll not have it
(As if short of everyone's untimely demise it would evre cease!)

You should know better

I'll get around to removin' your credentials, password, and whatever else I have to do, in a bit, if I can remember to do so...Now, what was it I was about to do anyway?????

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 03, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
Oh, and you knuckleheads point Jared to his new thread and coach him along...Copy?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: December 03, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Copy.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »
Oh, and you knuckleheads point Jared to his new thread and coach him along...Copy?
If we have to

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
 :likebutton:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
Look what showed up today

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
Heck yeah....should be able to hold a few pounds of powder in that shed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
Ok. This was a bit of drama because of all the trees but he finally got it in place. It’s got a railroad tie under each end and it’s actually level!
Here is the spot I picked out. Back behind the shop and tucked way in the trees.  Mama doesnt want to have to see it.

Got spot leveled and measured so that the front will be even with the back of the shop.  Like things neat and orderly.  Drilled three holes and drove #8 rebar 4 ft into the ground so that when he sat the backend on the tie it didn't want to roll or move.

Can't believe my 20V drill put a 1 inch auger bit through that RR tie.  I left my big 1/2 electric drill at the other house of course. But the little drill did well!

Got the rear RR tie level and went to work on the front spot.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:56:14 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
I figured you would have bought one in Red.... :tongue:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
How much did it run ya tex? That size out here is 4K ish delivered 60 miles.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2017, 05:00:44 PM »

Ha!  This one needs to blend in.  It will get a green paint job and I may camo the far side with some brown in addition to the green

I bought the CWOinstead of the WWT (cargo worthy, instead of just a wind and water tight) the CWO is more but its usually in better shape cosmetically and structurally.  Delivered 140 miles from the Port of Houston was just under $4k.  Bought it from a broker online, called Western Container Sales.  Pretty smooth process.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »

Ha!  This one needs to blend in.  It will get a green paint job and I may camo the far side with some brown in addition to the green

I bought the CWOinstead of the WWT (cargo worthy, instead of just a wind and water tight) the CWO is more but its usually in better shape cosmetically and structurally.  Delivered 140 miles from the Port of Houston was just under $4k.  Bought it from a broker online, called Western Container Sales.  Pretty smooth process.

Dang that's a pretty good price I feel. We got ours from a dealer in Tucson. So I guess it makes sense why they are cheaper there, direct from the port probably helped.

When our box was purchased we were told by the dealer it was a one tripper. It does appear that it is as close to brand new you can get. It was 3600 delivered. Neighbor bought two 40' one high cube the other regular, he paid over 4 for the first one and just under 4 for the second. Interesting to see none the less.

I will  enjoy watching it on paint and build in and on it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »

used an old trick to level the front RR tie to the back

Here is a tight fit.  took him a few stabs to get it right.

and here it sits

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnd, it's level.....

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:11:13 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »

Starting to sketch out the inside and supplies list...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:12:01 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 04, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »
very nice

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 04, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
 :likebutton:

Thinking a HF airless spraygun would do great on that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 04, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
WYO if you got a one tripper for that price, its a steal.  One trippers are closer to 6k here.

Shipping Container - 8'x40' High Cube / CWO (Next off stack) / Towards Cab of Truck (off last) for $2,990.00 each
Discounts : $-200.00 USD
Subtotal : $2,790.00 USD
TX State Tax : $213.44 USD
Dallas Municipal Tax : $68.30 USD
Shipping : $625.00 USD
Total : $3,696.74 USD

I got a discount code for two hondo just for asking.

JR, assuming I can get it back from my dad, I have a Titan commercial airless sprayer that should  work just fine.  Drop the pickup in a 5gal paint container and get busy.

I will do a build thread on it but there are a few tricks I plan on keeping to myself

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
Tex mine is only a 20'... I left that out sorry. It was also given to us for some work we did for my neighbor. I was with him when he was looking at his 40 high cube, and some how or another, he said "well buy it for you, we had planned on paying you anyways" so of course I didn't say no. Was a good month of work.

We haven't done anything to it other than fill it with our stuff. Shelves would probably be a good thing.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
Well I’ve been fighting a monster cold and against my wife’s better judgement I was out there yesterday and today. I’ve now lost my voice and am wiped out. But I did get the porch framing finished and got it decked with polar shield. I chose solar sheild since the porch will not be insulated and I want as much relief from the sun as possible.

And of course I ran out of my roll of synthetic underlayment and will have to buy a whole new 1000 sq ft roll for about 150 sq ft

Now I won’t admit she was right but as soon as I get home I’m taking a shower under the endless hot water and getting a nip of 129 proof

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »
Looks good Charles. Hard to keep a good man down.

Think your porch is the size of my add on  :embarrassed:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »
Eat raw garlic if you can stomach it. Seems to have always killed any bug I might catch, as I never stay sick long.

Equal parts ACV, lemon juice and raw honey with some hot water, helps heal a sore throats and fight the cold.

Eucalyptus oil on the bridge your nose will help clear it....if you have any. Obviously keep it out of your eyes, the fumes are bad enough. But it helps tremendously!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 11, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Eat raw garlic if you can stomach it. Seems to have always killed any bug I might catch, as I never stay sick long.

Equal parts ACV, lemon juice and raw honey with some hot water, helps heal a sore throats and fight the cold.

Eucalyptus oil on the bridge your nose will help clear it....if you have any. Obviously keep it out of your eyes, the fumes are bad enough. But it helps tremendously!

T- Maybe you should post that up in the Remedies thread in the med section...We do have a thread like that, don't we??

Edit: Found it:
http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1360.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:00:42 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 16, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
Ok. Back at it today. Picked up my windows yesterday. Marvin Integrity Fiberglass single hung single light. 

Started on finishing the roof today. Residential take and the ridge cap are the first order. Then I’ll tackle the windows before going back to finishing the eave flashing and closures.

Then I’ll install hardie in the gable above the porch before installing the metal roof on the porch

Here’s a neat gizmo to get on a steep roof

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 16, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
So those hooks mount on the ladder and have a wheel.  Push it up the roof on the wheel side and then flip it over and rest it on the hooks.   I taped 1" foam pipe insulation to protect the metal roof.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »

It started raining so I got one window in.  Just need to put the corner gaskets on it and then drop the head flap and tape the sides and top.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:48:08 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
Those ladder hooks work great. But, if you ever get in a bind take a page from our company safety manual and use the human ladder. You should see our section on power tools.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
That's nuts.

Plus I work alone.....kind of hard to do that.

Any recommendations on tool belts?  Mine broke after 15 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal