Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide site, retirement site.  (Read 206744 times)

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »
I am PICKY about my tool belt. Mine usually die many times before they go into the fire. I just try everything on until i find one with pockets that i can deal with. I would like one of the leather tool vests they have out now but with a back injury that I had fixed i want to keep weight off my spine. Plus in Texas they are probably hot.
For me i need pockets that can be switched from holding framing tools to holding electrical tools. We handle most trades so versatility is key.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 16, 2017, 10:09:12 PM »
If you work alone keep a cell phone on you at all times. I had a call from a guy that had missed his mark with a framing nailer and nailed his hand to a rafter. I had to go over and climb up and use a nail puller to get him free. If he had left his phone any place other than his pocket he would have been hanging there for hours.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 16, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »
I need a better one too, probably with shoulder straps. Won't stay on my waist  :facepalm:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 16, 2017, 10:53:12 PM »
Yikes Jared, that's sounds terrifying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2017, 11:19:49 PM »
Yeah I keep my cell phone. Usually in case I falll to the ground from 20ft up so I can call 911, if I’m conscious. Today I was texting back and forth with Norm while on top of the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 16, 2017, 11:59:29 PM »
He musta been text happy today......

I was hanging a light fixture in our mast bath while conversing with him about smokers.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
If you work alone keep a cell phone on you at all times. I had a call from a guy that had missed his mark with a framing nailer and nailed his hand to a rafter. I had to go over and climb up and use a nail puller to get him free. If he had left his phone any place other than his pocket he would have been hanging there for hours.
Sounds like he needed his claw hammer so he could get that nail out more than a cell phone.....rofl

and that's a big miss...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

OldKooT

« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2017, 10:01:25 AM »
I live with 5 women, sometimes I just need male conversation.

Besides I had your safety in mind guys, if you'd have fallen, I'd have txt'd my concern  :cool:

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
If i remember what he said i think he was crawling over the rafters with his hand on the trigger, a big no no, and he sort of bumped his hand with the gun. The older framing guns had real soft and easily compressed nose safeties. Just hold the trigger and brush it over a surface and a nail fires. Our newer guns have a better spring and a spiked tip so they are harder to fire.

When we have ceiling joists and rafters that are 16” oc it makes it hard to crawl around with a tool belt on. We usually install all the ceiling joists and then the ridge. Then the rafters all get cut. Then the only thing you need to install rafters is the nail gun. I work alone often. Things happen that are unexpected and it is good to be able to get help.
One morning i had to run to a few stores and the bank. When i got to the job all the roofers were sitting on the roof. Their boom lift they used to get on the roof had run out of fuel. They had been sitting there for hours with no way down. It was hot and they were all thirsty. Someone the night before had siphoned the diesel out and they did not know that until it was too late.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:08:30 AM by Jared Herzog »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »

Besides I had your safety in mind guys, if you'd have fallen, I'd have txt'd my concern  :cool:
Understandable. And I feel your pain. I have 3

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
I really like the green metal. When doing shingle roofing i use old foam couch cushions to keep from damaging the hot shingles. On metal roofing the same foam sticks to the metal. You can get on a steep roof and the foam grips like crazy. I try to plan my trips up steep metal roofing the day after rain so some of the dust is washed off. If i see a couch on the side of the road i stop and grab the cushions if they are foam. Just remove the slip covers. The foam is best when used in pairs. Jump or crawl from one to the other. On hot days it keeps you from getting burned and your shoes from melting and leaving rubber marks.

OldKooT

« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
I have a LOT of metal roofs on buildings so thanks for the tip. I usually end up on said roofs in the summer, I usually ruin my arm hairs and burn my self multiple times. Almost always drop my hammer somehow....and watch it slide 50' and wonder what it will land on.

The good news is, they are rusty *1920's era  So they have decent traction built in LoL  But your idea would sure save on the old knees.

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

Understandable. And I feel your pain. I have 3

Have three as well, no actually 4...Wifey...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »
Problem with mine is that it is 12/12.  Nothing short of a ladder and hooks will keep you from shooting down that slope at a high rate of speed....  finsihed the ridge caps today.  Now just need to flash the wall of the dormer where it meets the roof.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
Yup. Nothing sticks to a 12/12.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »

Here both end pieces are on and I’m reasybti install the ridge cap over the dormer.

Now my backside feels like I rode a horse alll day. Straddling the peak of a 12/12 roof to shoot screws in the ridge apparently is a trauma to the buttocks and groin area.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 17, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
Looks very nice Charles!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 17, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
I can't even fathom working that 12/12

I metaled that 6/12 this past summer and that gave me sore legs for three days

Hat's off to ya!

Post two points in your RM bank account (Redeemable for a hardy handshake and a toothy smile ;-)

Oh, and consider yourself completely rehired!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 19, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
That's nuts.

Plus I work alone.....kind of hard to do that.

Any recommendations on tool belts?  Mine broke after 15 years.

Most of the carpenters around here that I can speak the same language as run Occidental bags. They look very very nice. Spendy, but will last ya forever.

I don't use a belt enough to justify spending that kind of money, so i use a CLC padded back support belt and shoulder straps, and replaced the CLC flimsy nylon bags with the more rigid Husky bags. It works for me.

This bag on the right: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2-Pocket-Small-Framer-Pouch-with-Leather-GP-46667N14/205593560
I hate having my hammer in my middle back, i like how this one is on the side, but out away from your waist so it doesn't smack into your knees. There's others just like this one, but bigger too.

And a smaller bag for my left side (can't find it on HD website, but it's basically the same line, just pouches for nail strips, screws, torpedo level, chalk line, etc etc
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:27:19 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 19, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »
I’m sure glad you didn’t weigh in last week Dawg. Those are some high dollar bags. I ended up with AWP ballistic nylon from Lowe’s. My only complaint is my framed had a custom set up he made with a Franken bag that allowed him to carry the  nailer behind him by using the hammer hook and a supplemental extra hook and the gun rested nicely on them both and he was able to climb well with it held in place. The awp is nice in that the location of the pouches are adjustable and held in place by a layer of Velcro between the padded belt and the belt.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
The nail gun hooks can be bought at HomeDepot and Lowes now. They are usually near the tool belts. They attach to the air inlet nipple. Many guns even have them built in. I have them on most of my guns so i can hook them to my belt or to a rafter or ceiling joist. Since i have been getting the hooks i have not seen a $400 gun come off from up high and fall onto the slab.
On another note i had a hammer hook once in the middle back. It was an awkward reach. I tried the hook in the middle front which did not last long.Those Occidental bags are good but expensive. I usually just pick mine up at Lowes or HomeDepot. They last a couple years but start to get holes. I am currently looking at new bags. I need a better drill holder solution. The key with bags is to be able to find a tool without looking. Also, the pockets must stay open. Two belts ago i had one which held my Springfield XD 40. The amount of dust that got on it though required a daily cleaning. I will Frankenstein my next belt to fit the 40 again. Going to look for a closed holster. Maybe something with a couple of snaps. 

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
Do yourself a favor and order one of these to stick in your new bags. Absolutely love this thing

Morakniv Craftline Carpentry Chisel with Carbon Steel Blade, 3.0-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3ES1SC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jAPoAbWB8TDR2

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 21, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »
Kyle what do you use it for?

Today I was supposed to work on writing performance reviews for my direct reports,but with rain coming tomorrow I wanted to get windows in.  I got 6 of 8 in, including one of the 4'0X5'0 windows, which was a bear to get in.

I'll work on performance reviews tomorrow while it rains and then when it clears on Saturday I'll finish the windows and the final small roof trim pieces and then roof the porch.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
The nail gun hooks can be bought at HomeDepot and Lowes now. They are usually near the tool belts. They attach to the air inlet nipple. Many guns even have them built in. I have them on most of my guns so i can hook them to my belt or to a rafter or ceiling joist. Since i have been getting the hooks i have not seen a $400 gun come off from up high and fall onto the slab.
On another note i had a hammer hook once in the middle back. It was an awkward reach. I tried the hook in the middle front which did not last long.Those Occidental bags are good but expensive. I usually just pick mine up at Lowes or HomeDepot. They last a couple years but start to get holes. I am currently looking at new bags. I need a better drill holder solution. The key with bags is to be able to find a tool without looking. Also, the pockets must stay open. Two belts ago i had one which held my Springfield XD 40. The amount of dust that got on it though required a daily cleaning. I will Frankenstein my next belt to fit the 40 again. Going to look for a closed holster. Maybe something with a couple of snaps. 

Oddly enough Lowes did not have them but HD did.  My brand new coil nailer slid down the roof and onto the ground. Fortunately no damage but I need to hang it from something other than the bag.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
My 2 coil nailers have rubber bumpers so they don't slide.

I got one of those chisels some time ago. Does about anything but is finicky to get the sheath to stay put. Sharp as heck.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 22, 2017, 02:10:00 AM »

Kyle what do you use it for?

I think it's used for cutting wood. Often referred to as 'chiseling'.

:wink
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 22, 2017, 04:56:44 PM »
Doh!

Well got all the windows in and flashed. Tidied up the job site a bit and swept out the house now that it’s closed up save the front door. Will be getting on that quick. Supposed to rain and if it does I’ll work in the shop to clean and organize all my tools before getting back at it. Need to put purlins on the porch and then install the metal roof and trim. Then on to hardie siding and trim.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 22, 2017, 05:00:35 PM »

Oh. And my thumb is throbbing.  Got lazy and held a nail with thumbnail facing up.  28 oz framing hammer go boom. Redneck go squeal like a pig

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 22, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
I like those hooks holding your walking planks to the extension ladders. What brand are they and where can I get a set?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
Werner brand from Lowe’s. They make two versions. One wider than others. These are the narrower ones.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
One thing I didn’t mention was that in order to get the slope to the sills I took my saws all and cut a small wedge out of the jack stud and then shimmed up the sill. Wish I’d have planned it when I framed but it worked out well this way. Had about 3/16 slope when done. I was really happy the sills were all spot on left to right and required no extra shims.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 22, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 22, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
Amazing how much a smashed finger/thumb can hurt

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2017, 09:00:11 PM »
Not many things more fun than smashing a digit with a fresh waffle hammer.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »
I hope you don't get tired of me posting"it looks great" because you might hear it a few more times before you're finished.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »
X2 ^^^^
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:51 PM »
Thanks gents.  Working on the metal roof for the porch.  Got purlins up and attaching hardie facia so I can get the overhang right.  The porch will be the only part of the house with a gutter on it. Pics later.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »
Honestly what amazes me the most is that you have done almost all of it by yourself. Great work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 23, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
One learns to be creative when working by oneself

Here is the porch roof. Two inch overhang. Ran a string to keep it straight.

And I picked up these nifty shear attachments today.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 23, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
And now I won’t say that I forgot the butyl tape between panels until halfway through and had to go back and undo and lift the edge of each panel and out the tape down.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 23, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 23, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
You have to seal between panels? I thought they just overlapped..?..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 23, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
They do Ken. However. Best practice is a line of butyl tape along the top of the panel that gets overlapped. It would have to be some hard wind driven rain to get through but on a low slopes roof I didn’t want to take any chances.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
Oh, on the top. I was thinking sides.

Offline Jared Herzog

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hide site, retirement site.
« Reply #447 on: December 23, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »
It goes on every lapping seam on the sheet getting lapped. The tape is used on metal that does not have a second ridge with a channel contained within the ridge. It stops capillary action which could draw water over the ridge high point and into the metal and roof deck surface. Butyl tape or seam tape is not used on sheets that have an inner channel. Some types that do not require butyl tape are five v, rain guard, or channel drain.
With low pitch areas r panel or u panel are best because the ridges stand higher giving you more depth for water to stack before it leaks. The taller the panel ridges the lower the pitch can be.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:33:53 AM by Jared Herzog »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »
like this

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 23, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »
Well heck, you are talking about the sides also. Never did it that way before...sure glad it don't rain much out here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal